PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Master?

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 07:45 PM
Ok, so everyone loves the Jackie Chan movie. Everyone loves the idea of a drunken master...

Is the class fun to play? Both Mechanically and RP-wise.

If so... what kind of builds can we come up with for such a build. I was thinking of Simple Monk 6/Drunken Master 5 (I build ECL 11 since that's where my home game is right now :smallwink: )...

Half-blood
2008-03-13, 07:54 PM
From what I can tell. A drunken master would be Great. although you have to take levels in monk. Which I will admit is a "Weaker" class. But Drunken master is A "Joke" class. SO therefore, it'll be fun to play! Think about it. runnin' around Ludicrously Drunk, just barely avoid fatal attacks.:smalleek:

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I'm willing to sacrifice a little power for the ability to stagger around the battlefield and yell vaguely racist things at the enemy while drinking down some good dwarven spirits.

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-13, 07:59 PM
If you look in the "Why the Bastard Sword is the best weapon of all time" thread, there is one build that uses this class. Really funny one, at that. Kill people with paper clips:smallbiggrin: .

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 08:01 PM
If you look in the "Why the Bastard Sword is the best weapon of all time" thread, there is one build that uses this class. Really funny one, at that. Kill people with paper clips:smallbiggrin: .

That's actually why I went to look at the class in the first place :smallbiggrin:

I like the idea of doing 1d12+Unarmed Damage+Str to some guy... with... anything.

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-13, 08:13 PM
I like the idea of doing 1d12+Unarmed Damage+Str to some guy... with... anything.

Have you heard of the Headless Horseman build?
Make a Monk/Kensai, and enchant your Head with the throwing, returning, and flaming enchantments. Add a hat of disguise and a horse for bonus points.

senrath
2008-03-13, 08:49 PM
Don't forget that the drunken master can eventually convert alcohol into healing potions, as well as potions of dragonsbreath :P

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 09:15 PM
Have you heard of the Headless Horseman build?
Make a Monk/Kensai, and enchant your Head with the throwing, returning, and flaming enchantments. Add a hat of disguise and a horse for bonus points.

Nice!

Now, does anyone have an actual build for a little old monk that likes his alcohol and tends to kick butt?

UglyPanda
2008-03-13, 10:10 PM
There's also the Rayman build which is with throwing returning fists.

Anyone else think it would be amusing to take levels in Barbarian? Angry drunk with a massive strength score. You have issues with not having enough actions to get drunk fast enough(Never thought I'd say that). Maybe a belt of battle would help. Drunken master is always funny, but I don't know if they're effective.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 10:13 PM
Barbarian 1/Monk 5/Drunken Master 10/Frenzied Beserker 4?

... That's... kinda... scary...

:smallbiggrin:

Zincorium
2008-03-13, 10:17 PM
Barbarian 1/Monk 5/Drunken Master 10/Frenzied Beserker 4?

... That's... kinda... scary...

:smallbiggrin:

You'd have to go with something like chaos monk or swordsage to really get that to work, a monk becoming chaotic doesn't lose much but if your barbarian loses rage, you no longer qualify for frenzied berserker. Unarmed swordsage is usually a good bet anyway.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-13, 10:21 PM
Hmm, I forgot about the whole alignment restriction thing.

Barbarian and Monk don't really mesh well... but the massive strength does appeal to me.

Unarmed Swordsage is a possibility... but I kinda wanna stick with monk as a base... I don't know why, considering it's a pretty weak class. I'm dumb that way. :smallconfused:

UglyPanda
2008-03-13, 10:31 PM
Swordsages don't get flurry of blows, right? You have to take at least monk 2 for evasion and flurry of blows, or monk 1/rogue 2. You also need 8 ranks in tumble, which is cross-class for most of the good melee classes. BAB is a problem since Drunken master only has 3/4. If you need an RP justification for taking Barbarian, you could claim to have gotten so drunk one night that the monastery bans you from their order and you become an angry vagrant.

Bear warrior is also a funny prestige class to add to it. Lion Totem might make the build very powerful, possibly too cheesy.

SurlySeraph
2008-03-13, 10:35 PM
Hmm, I forgot about the whole alignment restriction thing.

Barbarian and Monk don't really mesh well... but the massive strength does appeal to me.

Unarmed Swordsage is a possibility... but I kinda wanna stick with monk as a base... I don't know why, considering it's a pretty weak class. I'm dumb that way. :smallconfused:

Try a Barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy variant. It gives you another attack per round. With that, dual-wielding, and Flurry of Blows, you can ginsu people with broken bottles (treat them as improvised kamas) quite efficiently.