PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

Nibleswick
2008-03-13, 11:08 PM
So, I just got my wisdom teeth out, still, kinda drugged up, it hurts like the dickens. So, this is me looking for ego stroking sympathy.

Edan
2008-03-13, 11:28 PM
I had mine pulled in December. I recovered fast from the anesthesia and skipped down 3 flights of stairs with the nurses looking on in horror. Then the pain set in.

I laid in bed for a day and a half and just popped my Loritabs whenever i felt pain. I was out buying DVD's 2 days after my surgery, you will be fine, just keep popping the pills it helps a lot. Also, use the ice/hot pack, and make sure you have 1 for each side of your face.

Also, you will not be having your favorite foods for a while. When mine came out, my jaw was sore for 2 weeks. It took me almost a week so I could open my mouth wide enough to eat anything that was not in soup form.

It will be hell for the next few days, but enjoy the drugs and enjoy the sympathy while it lasts.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-13, 11:33 PM
Ah. Wisdom teeth. Yes, they hurt. *nods*

I had 5. And they were all huge and sideways. >.<

...used the time to play some video games I had missed out on. Not too hard, aside from the drooly feeling of blood pouring into your mouth.

...good luck, man!

Bitzeralisis
2008-03-13, 11:41 PM
:smalleek: :smalleek: :smalleek:

Oh noes, now I'm afraid of when I'm going to get my wisdom teeth out half a decade later. It's some planned, "required" thing that'll supposedly keep my teeth from crowding in together too much.

I think people worry too much about "tooth positioning," although I must agree that crooked teeth aren't the prettiest to look at.

Of course, I can offer one tip. This tip illustrates how to ignore almost any sort of pain from healing injuries, and will work as long as your hands and arms are still capable of some movement: play video games. Yeah, that's right. They'll keep your mind occupied for hours, if you're allowed to play that long.

Otherwise, moan and groan, make the pain seem like more than it is, and hope that you make your bluff check and everyone believes you're in pain. Then their attitude towards you will somewhat improve.

What am I talking about? I don't have any experience at all. Don't listen to me! It's been known to cause insanity! ...which you seem to take as a virtue. I'm glad you agree. :smallbiggrin:

Dave Rapp
2008-03-13, 11:49 PM
I had mine taken out a few months ago. The pain wasn't so bad. I just popped a Vicodin every four to six hours. Pain-wise, the worst part was when I woke up in the morning after not having had Vicoin for 6 to 10 hours, and (about 2/3 of the time) having slept on my side and thus rested all the weight of my head on the side of my jaw. Ouchies.

Overall, the worst part of the ordeal was not being able to open my jaw all the way. It was three weeks until I could open to half its previous maximum opening level, and at least two months until it could open 100%. I still don't think I can open it quite as far as I could...

But then... my mom took away my vicodin. She hid it and wouldn't give it back. I still don't understand why.

Be happyy you have the fun pills to keep the pain away. I had to suffer through the last week or so of pain without any meds at all. Luckily the pain went away faster than it apparently usually does. Must be that dense jaw bone of mine...

Y'know what the weirdest yet coolest thing about it all was? Tim Buckley had his taken out like 4 days after me. Spoooooky. :smallbiggrin:

Nibleswick
2008-03-14, 12:11 AM
hehehe, I feel like Charlie Brown: I got Vicodine, I got Lortab, well, I got Ibueprophin, and it's not working very well.

SweetLikeLemons
2008-03-14, 12:23 AM
Dave, at least you got Vicodin in the first place. I just got Codeine for the first day or so and had to rely on OTC stuff after that.

The best thing about having my wisdom teeth out was that my sister was supposed to have hers out the same day, but they postponed her surgery at the last minute and for some reason she felt so guilty about it that she waited on me hand and foot.

Nibleswick, did they tell you about biting down on a wet tea bag to stop the bleeding? That worked pretty well for me, and putting them in the fridge first made them like soothing little icepacks. Also, you have my ego-stroking sympathy. May you heal quickly.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-03-14, 12:24 AM
@^^ My dad says try alcohol.:smallbiggrin: *rolls eyes*

Raeden
2008-03-14, 05:31 AM
I've intimidated my wisdom teeth into not growing. So they've been staying put for 3 years now, every now and then one hurts as if it's going to pierce through my gum, but then I just growl at it and it stops. They'll never come through, scared little pieces of ivory.

JettWilderbeast
2008-03-14, 05:42 AM
I've got 2 wisdom teeth! And neither of them need taking out, which is kinda weird......
I'm petrified of the dentist though. Scared out of my wits.

Darius Midnite
2008-03-14, 02:51 PM
I have three of mine growing these days, and they all hurt like hell. But the dentist says that they're all growing fine...still hurts though. Woe is me.

blackfox
2008-03-14, 03:33 PM
0.o People prescribe Vicodin for wisdom teeth?

I got prescribed Tylenol #3, which is basically acetominophen with codeine, I used a normal dose of ibuprofen (400 mg) twice a day, for only a week... I'm pretty sure I don't actually feel pain anymore. :smalltongue:

Nibleswick
2008-03-15, 01:52 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRG, I want a sandwich, but I can't open my mouth wide enough, sniff, sniff.

Jagg
2008-03-15, 06:18 AM
*Opens mouth* Rook I god all ma teef neva 'ad em out.

Pwenet
2008-03-15, 06:30 AM
I had all three of my wisdom teeth yanked out (only had three, strange).

The first they left a copper wire in the area to guide the other teeth into place for a week. Copper + Blood = Icky taste until that thing was taken out.

The second I got my last two taken out at once, 2 days later I was at the gym working out.

Just be careful, follow your doctors advice and enjoy your enforced vacation.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-15, 07:31 AM
I got my wisdom teeth taken out in Boot Camp...
Forceibly.
Worst three days of Boot I had, Being confined to my rack, not marching with the rest of the division, missing Firearms training...
Sleeping with cotton and blood in my mouth.
(Actually, the blood wasn't so bad...)

Justyn
2008-03-15, 07:45 AM
I'm lucky enough to have had them all come in, and come in so that they will not need to come out; and if I have any say in the matter, they'll stay put 'till they stick me to the motherbooping grave.

AnonymousOne
2008-03-15, 02:23 PM
Yeah I had all four of mine pulled, miserable experience.

At least they gave me Percocet... Nothing like a little Oxycodone to make your day a little brighter.

Noctesis
2008-03-15, 08:23 PM
My friend got his wisdom teeth pulled out a while back. I felt sorry for him; he could only eat Gogurt for lunch and moaned constantly about the pain.

I tried to cheer him up, I did. I thought to myself, "Why not make him laugh?"

He started to laugh, and then he groaned at the pain this caused his jaw. Then he started laughing because he was hurting, until I couldn't tell if he was laughing or crying. I didn't try to make him laugh after that.

Groundhog
2008-03-16, 11:30 AM
Yeah, it's weird, some people get more than four, some people get less, etc. Frankly, if you have the normal four wisdom teeth and they aren't half-rotted, come in sideways, and you have room for all of them, you're lucky. At least, lucky that you won't have to go through surgery. I myself have four perfectly normal wisdom teeth that are in the midst of coming in, and they HURT. At least when you have surgery, it's all over after a couple of weeks, but I've been going through this on and off for over a year.

Teal Kuinshi
2008-03-17, 06:58 PM
But then... my mom took away my vicodin. She hid it and wouldn't give it back. I still don't understand why.

Be happyy you have the fun pills to keep the pain away. I had to suffer through the last week or so of pain without any meds at all. Luckily the pain went away faster than it apparently usually does. Must be that dense jaw bone of mine...

You need to be careful with some of the pain meds they give you. Some of them can be very addicting (which is why parents may take them away early).

I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out... I spent three days mindlessly playing videogames and eating popsicles to numb the pain...

phoenixineohp
2008-03-17, 08:00 PM
I had mine out in grade 11. All 4 pulled while I was under. (There was no way the doctor would live if they tried that on me awake, no matter how powerful laughing gas is.) After coming too and having an incredible emotional/drugged stupor, I got to sleep and start the pain meds. Aside from craving any and all food and only getting to eat frozen grapes, and swallowing my stitches, I loved it. My doc was great, no swelling, no real bruising and lots of pain meds. I've never been so stress free in my life. It was amazing.

The funny part was watching the division between my 'normal thinking' brain the rest of my brain that was hit by the drugs. I could think (if I focused) like normal, and that part of me was bored, but the rest of me was cut off by a foggy wall of the drugs. Very interesting physiology and psychology to experience.

ForzaFiori
2008-03-17, 08:15 PM
What age do wisdom teeth usually come in? Cause several of my friends have had theirs out, and they're 2 or 3 years younger than me, yet mine haven't even started hurting yet.

Nibleswick
2008-03-18, 05:05 AM
Well, mine weren't really coming in either, but soon I'm going to be leaving the country for two years, and I don't know where I'm going yet. So the question becomes what happen if they cause a problem in those two years, and I'm in oh say the Congo perhaps, and can't leave? So, it's best to have them out now.