PDA

View Full Version : What equipment should this fighter have?

Frosty
2008-03-14, 12:55 AM
If you've got a Level 4 Fighter/Crusader (not gestalt) with a spiked chain focused on tripping and mage-slaying, what equipment can he get with his 5400 gold? It's not a lot to work with, but definitely a MW weapon. Not sure if a magical version is worth the extra 2000 gold. I'm using a Chain shirt to maintain high movement speed. Eventually, I'll be doing shock trooper, so AC probably won't be a high priority right?

Zincorium
2008-03-14, 01:21 AM
Whether you want a magical weapon depends mainly on whether you can count on magic weapon getting cast for you when you need it. If that's doubtful, it's probably worth the gold, if only because you'll need an enhancement to enchant it later. Alternately, oils of magic weapon are within your price range, the only reason I don't wholeheartedly recommend them is because once you use them, that money is gone.

Do you have access to the magic item compendium? There are a lot of minor items in there that make adventuring easier, many of them are a sort of panic buttons for certain situations (feather fall, water breathing, etc).

Personally, if I'm not playing a spellcaster, I always go for a hand of the mage. Just too situationally useful to pass up. Necklaces of fireballs aren't a bad surprise option, especially since your wizard/sorceror probably can't cast fireball right now.

Generally, lots of different, cheap defensive items take up most of my gold, those might be worth it for you (remember that you can get them improved later) or they might not, depending on how fond you are of your gold as compared to your hit points.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-14, 01:41 AM
With only 5,400 gold you probably don't have much room for magic items yet.

Masterwork Weapon, maybe Adamantium if you are really serious about using this (probably not though with Crusader, they get DR passing maneuvers anyway don't they, if it was really important)

Depending on your current Dex, and how high you intend to get it, Mithril Chain shirt. Any non-Mithril is wasted money if you ever plan to upgrade.

Magic Weapon can still be an expected cast at this point, though certainly magical enchants should be up on your list.

I'd say 1,100 for Mithril chain shirt, 3XX for Masterwork Weapon, another 3-5 hundred for random adventuring gear. Grab an Everlasting Rations for 550gp or something. Then everything else should either be saved or spent on assorted MIC goodies, anklet of translocation, Bracers that give you better attacks of oppurtunity.

In fact, the Bracers, I think they are called Bracers of Opportunity. 3 extra AoOs a day, and a +2 on all AoO attacks if you have Combat Reflexes, I think they are cheap enough to be within price range. Get that.

Frosty
2008-03-14, 02:34 AM
My dex is only 16, and will likely not improve more to more than 18, so I don't see the point of mithril. I can't afford it anyways. due to all the other goodies I'm looking at. I've definite got anklets of translocation. Thanks for all the advice