PDA

View Full Version : Flumph Villian

Thamir
2008-03-14, 04:30 AM
My group are avid readers of OOTS (thanks for hours of entertainment giant!) anyway, I decided I wanted an obscure monster as leader of the cult in the adventure. He is referred to by name however is finally revealed in a climactic battle. What creature have I decided, well as my group are OOtS fans as noted above I decided I would use a flumph (because a reference to OOtS would make me more popular than the other DM who runs my group, SUPREME POWER WOULD BE MINE!). But now I need to build an awesome powerful flumph at around CR5, do you have any really cool ideas?

Foolosophy
2008-03-14, 04:40 AM
3.0 stats for the Flumph can be found in the Tome of Horrors by Necromancer Games. For 3.5 there exists an adventure called "Box of Flumph" that apparently has stats for them

Thamir
2008-03-14, 04:56 AM
I found them on the d20 wiki check it out!
anyway I may have been unclear in my first post this in kinda a character optimisation thread only for a flumph NPC.

FLUMPH

Small Aberration

Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)

Initiative: +3 (Dex)

Speed: Fly 20 ft (average)

AC: 20 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +6 natural)

Attacks: Spikes +4 melee

Damage: Spikes 1d4 plus 1d4 acid

Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/0 ft

Special Attacks: Acid

Special Qualities: Nauseating spray, darkvision 60 ft

Saves: Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +5

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 10

Skills: Hide +7, Listen +7, Move Silently +7, Search +4, Spot +7

Feats: Weapon Finesse (spikes)

Climate/Terrain: Any underground

Organization: Pair or colony (4-16)
Challenge Rating: 2

Treasure: None

Alignment: Always lawful good

Advancement: 3-6 HD (Small)

A flumph appears as a jellyfish-like creature about three feet in diameter. Its body is round and almost flat. The body is flanked by two eyestalks, each about six inches long. Several short tentacles hang from the creature's underside, concealing a mass of small spikes. A flumph is pure white in color with slightly darker tentacles.

COMBAT

The flumph hovers a few inches above the ground, or hangs motionless in reeds or similar concealment, hunting small creatures such as rats, frogs, and lizards. When it finds a small creature, it rises a foot or two, and drops onto its prey, piercing it with its spikes and injecting its acid into the wounds.

If threatened by a larger creature, the flumph attempts to drive it away by squirting a foul-smelling liquid from an orifice along its equator. If this fails, the flumph can rise to a height of 10 feet and drop onto an opponent, piercing it with its spikes and injecting its acid into the wounds.

Acid (Ex): When a flumph hits an opponent with its spikes, it injects a potent acid into the wounds. This acid deals 1d4 points of damage to the opponent for 2d4 rounds. The acid can be washed away by vigorously rinsing (two full rounds) or by total immersion in running water.

Nauseating Spray (Ex): Line of foul smelling liquid, 1 foot wide, 1 foot high, and 20 feet long, once every 1d4 rounds; nauseated (no action other than a single move or move-equivalent action) for 1d4 rounds; Fortitude save (DC 11) negates.

The odor from this spray lingers in the area (and on any creature hit) for 1d4 hours and can be detected at a range of 100 feet.

Bonus Feats: The flumph gains the Weapon Finesse (spikes) feat as a bonus feat.

Amiria
2008-03-14, 04:57 AM
The "Box of Flumph" adventure is in Dungeon 118 (January 2005).

Edit: @^ Those are not the stats from "Box of Flumph". There they are are tiny, have 2 racial bonus feats, plus other differences.

tyckspoon
2008-03-14, 05:43 AM
But now I need to build an awesome powerful flumph at around CR5, do you have any really cool ideas?

I'm not sure you're correctly understanding the essential nature of the flumph, here.. :smalltongue:

The version you've posted under the spoiler has a decent Wisdom. Combine that with "Head of a cult" and levelling it in Cleric stands out. That would give it some nice spells to use to make itself a proper threat and let it potentially buff up any other cult members that are participating in a fight. I don't remember the guidelines very well, but I think you could shove in four to six levels before the game would 'officially' call it CR 5.

Foolosophy
2008-03-14, 05:50 AM
I'm not sure you're correctly understanding the essential nature of the flumph, here.. :smalltongue:

The version you've posted under the spoiler has a decent Wisdom. Combine that with "Head of a cult" and levelling it in Cleric stands out. That would give it some nice spells to use to make itself a proper threat and let it potentially buff up any other cult members that are participating in a fight. I don't remember the guidelines very well, but I think you could shove in four to six levels before the game would 'officially' call it CR 5.

to me a flumph druid watching over a grove inhabited by myconids, shrieker mushrooms and phantom fungi sounds like a great encounter :D

Duke of URL
2008-03-14, 07:03 AM
Flumphs are (always) lawful good aberrations. Making them into a BBEG will require some twisting -- either the Flumph is insane, or, and I've always wanted to do this, is only a "villain" because while its intentions are pure, its course of action will have serious negative consequences that it doesn't know about.

senrath
2008-03-14, 07:26 AM
Flumphs are (always) lawful good aberrations. Making them into a BBEG will require some twisting -- either the Flumph is insane, or, and I've always wanted to do this, is only a "villain" because while its intentions are pure, its course of action will have serious negative consequences that it doesn't know about.

Or, building on that last thing, it is only the figurehead, with the real power being elsewhere. It would honestly think it was doing good things, since it probably would be relatively isolated and fed lies all the time.

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-14, 07:37 AM
Well, it is a bit higher level, but what about the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/mainlist2.pl?Wolf-in-sheep~s-clothing)? You could wound it or disease it or something...

As for the evil flumph... you could like... make it a half-fiendish flumph. With the lolth-touched template.

Eeeeeeevil flumph.

Dethcom1
2008-03-14, 10:04 AM
You all do realize you're talking about villainous flumphs, right? As a BBEG the are slightly less intimidating than a ham sandwich, psionic though it may be.

Your raw flumph applicant up there can be killed by a single casting of magic missile. Let me reiterate; Magic Missile.

That being said, make it a beguiler or wizard, have it use concealment and ranged attacks, slowly harrying the PCs while it's minions or summoned creatures keep them distracted. As a bonus, if they metagame enough, they'll realize that there is no way the flumph could have done something like this, so they'll try to find out the "real" villain. Ahh, I love it when people metagame themselves into a brick wall.

Crowheart
2008-03-14, 02:53 PM
The Flumph is a pretty silly monster. ;) I don't think I could even take it seriously.

"Your doom draws nigh, heroes! Prepare to be-"
*snickers heard in background*
"AHEM. Prepare to be destroyed! I will-"
*more snickers*
"Shut up back there! I'm trying to be villainous here!"

Clearly it should be a vampire flumph. Complete with vampire spawn flumphs, for extra silliness.

Ooh! Paragon Flumph for epic level play! ...I can't even say that with a straight face.

NOTE: There are two of these threads... o.O;