PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler: Celia and Roy

pendell
2008-03-14, 05:55 AM
Anyone else foresee a possible breakup in their future?

1) Roy isn't what she expected. Can't even shoot lightning out of his fingertips.
2) Roy is known by the company he keeps. And he's hanging with a chaotic evil murderer.
3) Celia doesn't care for Haley, either.

I can see in the very near future .. after Roy is raised, natch, Celia decides that she can't love a man who kills for a living. In her eyes, he'll be a murderer in a company of murderers, and that will end the relationship.

It would provide a convenient exit from the strip, if that's what the Giant has in mind.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

shadeofblack
2008-03-14, 07:28 AM
I really wouldn't mind if Celia stayed with the team after Roy is raised. She's a great character.

by the way, this isn't really a spoiler, right? you didn't need to put (spoiler) in the thread title these are all just guesses.

Ceaon
2008-03-14, 08:11 AM
Well, random prediction or a [SPOILER] in the topic's title is used around here to show the Giant the topic contains guesses or predictions concerning the comic, so he won't read them and feel the need to change the story and stay unpredictable.

Fitzclowningham
2008-03-14, 08:34 AM
I could totally see that. In Celestia, they don't have all the messy, real-world details to contend with, but really, they're Roy's life.

BisectedBrioche
2008-03-14, 09:27 AM
Well in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0537.html) Celia notes that Adventurers are the only ones who solve problems with violence, so perhaps she hasn't found out anything new? Plus it might be worth noting that one of Roy's traits is that he is willing to take non violent approaches to things (as OtOoPCs shows).

Remirach
2008-03-14, 10:15 AM
Anyone else foresee a possible breakup in their future?
Not particularly.

1) Roy isn't what she expected. Can't even shoot lightning out of his fingertips.
I don't think that really meant all that much to her in the first place, and she hasn't shown any indication it will make a difference now. She was prepared to haul Roy's body out of the city by herself even after she learned of that particular lack, so she still seems pretty attached to the guy.

2) Roy is known by the company he keeps. And he's hanging with a chaotic evil murderer.
She knew about Belkar's evil tendencies before she hooked up with Roy at all. She praises the party for "ditching (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0269.html)" him and also declines (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0287.html) him the use of her legal services. His bad character wasn't enough to deter her from pursuing Roy, why would it cause her to leave him?

3) Celia doesn't care for Haley, either.
I'm not really clear on this. She was friendly enough when she first appeared, and was genuinely happy that Haley's speech had returned. They're not close friends, clearly. They don't know each other well at all yet either.

I can see in the very near future .. after Roy is raised, natch, Celia decides that she can't love a man who kills for a living. In her eyes, he'll be a murderer in a company of murderers, and that will end the relationship.
She initially regarded him as a "hero (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0320.html)" -- well, seeing as that was after they'd slept together maybe the word loses some of its significance. But she took on the Order's case, with the exception of Belkar. There is at least some distinction in her mind between "adventuring hero" and "murderer for hire."

It would provide a convenient exit from the strip, if that's what the Giant has in mind.
It could, but there are a lot of different ways I could see Celia's pacifism playing out, so I don't see this one as any more likely than the ones I could foresee, which is to say nothing of the ones I can't.

David Argall
2008-03-14, 04:46 PM

We are talking comic here, which means problems in relationships are highly desirable. A Celia fanatically pacificist has definite possibilities for jokes, say as she tries to tell Roy not to hurt the hobgoblins trying to kill him. Her dumping Roy because he is too violent is too sensible and dull.

Felixaar
2008-03-15, 06:15 AM
Unlikely. To go and find an entirely new romantic interest three and a bit plot arcs in would be a little...feh, y'kno?

Child Conscript
2008-03-16, 12:33 AM
I personally believe that Celia will run off with someone else or leave him just as Roy is revived after seeing the "true light" in Roy making Roy going into Depression phase 1 and wondering why he came back to life. . . just a theory
:wink: