PDA

View Full Version : Would you change the world?

Bluelantern
2008-03-14, 11:06 AM
See, I have this RPG setting that I am making, and I am seriously thinking in change the world-map from this:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/th_ar_al/12%20Guildas/MapaMundiOmeracopy.jpg

to this:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/th_ar_al/12%20Guildas/NovoMapamundideomeracopy.jpg

the change has several benefits and some problems, but I guess it is more benefits... the my main doubt is if these sort of thing is to difficult to do it, does anyone others DMs have advices?

Narmoth
2008-03-14, 02:08 PM
Is it just me, or is the last map very alike to the american continent?

Bluelantern
2008-03-14, 10:32 PM
Is it just me, or is the last map very alike to the american continent?

Well the colors/terrains still aren't there, but I can't see the resemblance.

Also is more or less based on Europe/africa withou Asia and reversed xP

Malic
2008-03-15, 07:29 AM
I think the map change could be good. What are you trying to get from it? If you could give us more information then we should be able to help more.

Also ,on a side note, this should be in the Homebrew section.

Bluelantern
2008-03-15, 07:50 AM
I think the map change could be good. What are you trying to get from it? If you could give us more information then we should be able to help more.

Its this setting http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45017&highlight=paradox

but I thought it was better to create another thread than doublepost in the other =p

The reasons of the change concern mostly 2+-guilds

The guild of Smoke who are technomancers, they din't fit in they former continent (the one in right in the new map) who was a harsh and primitive place, they din't had anyone to sell they goods.

The Guild of Poison who are assassins, they also are based on the other continent, my explanation was that they had to runaway to there but still the thing don't fit well...

Also the guild of smoke and magma are great allies and the guild of mud is the great enemy of smoke...

...So I placed "everything" a 1-2 continents who are near each other, Smoke is in the south sub-continent and much closer to "clients" and Poison will stay in a island in the "middle-sea"

Also ,on a side note, this should be in the Homebrew section.

It ins't D&D xP

Also. Map colored with the terrain types.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/th_ar_al/12%20Guildas/NovoMapamundideomeracor.jpg

Lord Herman
2008-03-15, 08:06 AM
It ins't D&D xP

The homebrew and gaming boards are about all kinds of RPGs, not just D&D.

I like the map, but which terrain types do the colours represent?

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-15, 08:08 AM
Main thing I see: This would probably lead to a lack of naval power, navies are all well and good, and admittidly FASTER for some routes, but, by and large, not wholly nessecary.

Another thing: Assuming a Pangaea-like expanse and Earth-like properties, perhaps this world could be earthquake-ridden?

Bluelantern
2008-03-16, 09:54 PM
Colors is Terrains/Climate types

Light Green = Tropical or Sub-tropical

"Medium" Green = Temperate

Dark Green = Cold Temperate

Yellow-Green = Savana (Tall grass, few trees)

Yellow = Desert

Dark-Yellow = "Semi-desertic"

White = Ice/artic (surprise)

Blue = Water (I bet that you din't see that comming)

Gray = "moutain" terrain, usually colder than the surronding area

Greyish Blue = Cold Moutains

There is also two "special" terrains

Dark-Brown = Corrupted lands, those lands are devoid of life because of Dust magic, much like cold deserts, but filled with dark energy

Orange = Broken Lands, caused by a Catastrophe, those lands have been change by chaotic magic, they have lots of vulcanic activity.

Main thing I see: This would probably lead to a lack of naval power, navies are all well and good, and admittidly FASTER for some routes, but, by and large, not wholly nessecary.
I suppose you are right, but still would say that there is some importance, specially because there is a lot of trans-continental activity

Another thing: Assuming a Pangaea-like expanse and Earth-like properties, perhaps this world could be earthquake-ridden?
Yes, a magical event that went terrible wrong, great areas of lands are destroyed and cracked open, many are submerged, underground kingdoms are destroyed and so on. The epicenter was the "Broken peak" a mountain in the middle of the orange area, it also created the Prosperah Island (Green Island above the orange area), and ressurected many creatures who are long dead... DINOSSAURS! \o/