PDA

View Full Version : Project Polaris: New Weaponry

Neftren
2008-03-14, 02:40 PM
New Weapons:{table="head"]Weapon Type|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Range|Weight|Type
Light, Simple Weapons|||||||
• Dirk|10gp|1d4|1d6|x2|
--|3 lbs.|Piercing
|||||||
(1H) Martial Weapons|||||||
• Backsword|20gp|1d6|1d8|x2|
--|6 lbs.|S/B
• Sidesword|15gp|1d4|1d6|18-20/x2|
--|6 lbs.|Slashing
|||||||
(2H) Exotic Melee Weapons|||||||
• Claymore|50gp|1d10|2d6|x3|
--|8 lbs.|Slashing
|||||||
Ranged Exotic Weapons|||||||
• Carbine|400gp|1d6/1d4|1d8/1d6|x2|
30/50 Ft.|6 lbs.|Piercing
- - Moon Clip (5)|100gp|||||1 lbs.|
• Longblaster|1000gp|1d10|1d12|x4|
200 Ft.|9 lbs.|Piercing
- - Moon Clip (5)|100gp|||||1 lbs.|
[/table]

Dirk
A blade between the size of a dagger and a shortsword, these weapons are perfect for those who wish to carry something of greater stature without openly revealing it. Easily produced in any smithy, these weapons are excellent for their cost.

Backsword
A single edge is sharpened on this sword. While not sharpened on both sides, these weapons are excellent for cutting individuals or for beating them with the other end. Generally employed by the Igmarin military.

Sidesword
A more militaristic version and precursor of the rapier, these efficient weapons are useful against individuals wearing both armor and cloth. Fighting style generally favors a slashing action and Sideswords are often wielded in conjunction with a buckler on the arm. A Sidesword may be used in conjunction with the Weapon Finesse Feat.

Claymore
Generally Claymores are a type of greatsword, but their excellent smithing has produced weapons that hit quite hard when applied correctly. These weapons are excellent for any aspiring adventurer, and are relatively easy to obtain, but moderately difficult to wield.

Carbine
One of the many revolutionary technologies of the Kalari, the technology behind these mystical boomsticks have been recently uncovered in Kalari ruins. A Carbine is capable of shortening it's stock for a reduction in range, but an increase in effective damage. This process may also be reversed, and the Carbine may be increased in length for greater range, but less damage. It takes a move action to change the stock of a carbine.

Longblaster
Developed by Ghost Elves, these weapons are akin to tactical sniper rifles. Capable of neutralizing any target at ranges far exceeding even the best longbows, these have become the weapons of choice for assassins. Unfortunately, accuracy comes at a cost, and a Longblaster must be fired from the prone position or the wielder takes penalties for their inaccuracy. A wielder takes a -4 penalty for firing a Longblaster while standing, and a -8 penalty for firing it on the run with the Shot on the Run Feat.

jagadaishio
2008-03-14, 02:53 PM
Claymores are actually just supposed to be another style of greatsword. As it is right now, it's worse than a bastard sword, for the simple reason that it does the same damage but can't be held in one or two hands interchangeably. You should either make a claymore just a stylistic note that someone can put on their greatsword or give it some sort of incentive, such as dealing the greatsword's damage and having a 19-20 x3 crit, which is still quite a bit more balanced than the greathammer from the Monster Manual series.

Bhu
2008-03-14, 04:07 PM
What eactly are Backsword/Sideswords?

Neftren
2008-03-14, 05:38 PM
Claymores are actually just supposed to be another style of greatsword. As it is right now, it's worse than a bastard sword, for the simple reason that it does the same damage but can't be held in one or two hands interchangeably. You should either make a claymore just a stylistic note that someone can put on their greatsword or give it some sort of incentive, such as dealing the greatsword's damage and having a 19-20 x3 crit, which is still quite a bit more balanced than the greathammer from the Monster Manual series.

I haven't actually finished writing out the weapons yet.

What eactly are Backsword/Sideswords?

A Backsword is a single edged sword. Think Katana or Scimitar...
A Sidesword is what came before a traditional dueling rapier. It's a bit thicker and tougher, so it's more effective against armored individuals.

LoneGamer
2008-03-14, 06:20 PM
Some of these weapons are too good.

Sidesword: Scimitars are now obselete. Rapiers are now only good for Finesse. A weapon like this already exists, it's Exotic. Elven something or other.

Backsword: It's more powerful than a longsword. A backsword will deal 5.5 damage per hit, a longsword will deal 4.725, including crits. Battleaxes deal the same. Heavy picks are weaker. This is the highest damage 1-hand martial weapon, as your sidesword deals 4.95 damage on average. Too powerful.

Your Longblaster potentially outshines the Greatbow, another exotic weapon, in both range and crit multiplier. Is this a firearm and limited to 1 attack/round somehow?

Neftren
2008-03-14, 08:41 PM
Some of these weapons are too good.

Sidesword: Scimitars are now obselete. Rapiers are now only good for Finesse. A weapon like this already exists, it's Exotic. Elven something or other.

Backsword: It's more powerful than a longsword. A backsword will deal 5.5 damage per hit, a longsword will deal 4.725, including crits. Battleaxes deal the same. Heavy picks are weaker. This is the highest damage 1-hand martial weapon, as your sidesword deals 4.95 damage on average. Too powerful.

Your Longblaster potentially outshines the Greatbow, another exotic weapon, in both range and crit multiplier. Is this a firearm and limited to 1 attack/round somehow?

Like I said, I haven't finished writing these up. I also didn't have access to my PHB at the time. Revisions are going up now.

Neftren
2008-03-14, 09:07 PM
Okay, now I'm finished revising. Anyone have more revision comments? I realize some of this stuff may be a bit strong, but that's because I'm trying to reduce the influence of magic (it really is strong in standard D&D) on the world.

jagadaishio
2008-03-14, 10:38 PM
Increase the damage of the claymore to 2d6 or higher or else it will not be worth the feat needed to wield it. So far the greatsword is statistically better than or equal to it in every way.

Darth Mario
2008-03-14, 11:14 PM
The first three weapons appear to be balanced now. The claymore is still terrible.

Comparison:
Greatsword does 2d6 19-20. Martial weapon. Large.
Bastard Sword does 1d10 19-20. Exotic Weapon. Medium.
Claymore does 1d10 x3. Exotic Weapon. Large.

x3 isn't any better than 19-20, so both the bastard sword and greatsword are statistically better. If you want the Claymore to be a well crafted greatsword, why not simply make it a masterwork greatsword, or at least give it those stats?

Neftren
2008-03-15, 10:34 AM
What if I just upped the damage die?

jagadaishio
2008-03-15, 12:51 PM
Now it can work as an item with a use if any of the players really wants a x3 instead of a 19-20 x2. So, it won't be taken much, but maybe sometimes? It's pretty much exactly as good as the greatsword, just 50 GP more expensive, requiring the burning of a feat, and two pounds heavier.

Neftren
2008-03-15, 02:20 PM
Okay, reduced the cost and weight. I still think it's weak compared to the Greatsword.

Bitzeralisis
2008-03-15, 04:31 PM
I agree with anyone else who thinks that the backsword is too powerful. See, it has ×3 crit, 2d4 damage die, and two types of damage. It's overpowered compared to any other martial, one-handed weapon and would become the generic choice of weapon, replacing the Longsword, in your world.

Neftren
2008-03-15, 04:41 PM
Would it help if I dropped the crit to x2?