PDA

View Full Version : Proposition 3-17

Premsyl
2008-03-14, 05:40 PM
Guinness has written up a petition to make St. Pattys a national holiday. My Irish heritage demands that I call everyone's attention to this, for it is the most serious of matters. Sign the petition here (http://www.proposition317.com/stpats.html?deepLink=null)

Eldritch Knight
2008-03-14, 06:55 PM
You're Irish heritage may make you want to call everyones attention to that petition, but my Scottish heritage makes me reserve the right to poke fun at you and call you silly names! :smalltongue:

(Sounds like a reasonable idea to me, could always use another day off!)

Lord Herman
2008-03-14, 07:00 PM
But isn't a Scottish heritage automatically also an Irish heritage?

Gaelbert
2008-03-14, 07:07 PM
Ah do not believe so. The bloodlines may be intermingled to some degree, as Ireland and Scotland are rather close to each other, but there are differences, in my opinion.
And unfortunately you have to be 21 or older to sign the petition. Figures.

Lykan
2008-03-14, 07:12 PM
My Polish heritage wonders when our holiday (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Pulaski_Memorial_Day) will even be recognized by the general public.

Lord Herman
2008-03-14, 07:14 PM
The Irish and Scottish are quite different, but Scotland was an Irish colony once; most modern Scots are descendants from those Irish colonists. So nyah. :smalltongue:

CharlieSmiles
2008-03-14, 08:06 PM
I'd sooner be beaten to death by Leprachauns than recognize st patricks day. (lack of capitalization is intentional.) :smallfurious:

North
2008-03-14, 09:02 PM
Ive signed and gotten everyone at work to sign. On pain of Puns. :smallwink:

Blayze
2008-03-14, 09:27 PM
most modern Scots are descendants from those Irish colonists.

"I know an even RAINIER place!"

EmeraldRose
2008-03-14, 09:28 PM
*clicked the poll*

We'll probably have a couple of pints Monday. Perhaps a carbomb...it won't be too much though, as the 17th falls on a work day this year. :smallsigh:

Lord Herman
2008-03-15, 02:48 AM
Monday? Great, that's when I have my Irish classes :smallbiggrin:

SDF
2008-03-15, 04:04 AM
I think its a stupid idea. It is no different than Halmark pushing Valentines Day (If not worse because Guinness is overtly pushing the idea, and using it as a sspp)

Emperor Ing
2008-03-15, 07:00 AM
Wait, isnt st patricks day ALREADY a holiday? :smallconfused:

If retailers capitalize on it, and its marked on calendars, its a holiday.

Lyesmith
2008-03-15, 07:07 AM
I do belive they want to make it one of the "Have a day off" holidays, and Guiness is spearheading this motion due to the immense profit involved for them by pillaging the traiditions of another culture and then dedicating a national holiday to drinking beer and other such "Irish" activities.

Sterotype me, I'm Irish! (http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=WIGU-IRISH&Category_Code=EVERYTHING)

Pwenet
2008-03-15, 07:11 AM
I like Guinness.

I like St. Patrick Day (Note to self - Buy a shirt that says "Kiss Me I'm Irish" TODAY and wear it until Monday).

Hence I signed.

Now to dig Boondock Saints out of a box and watch it at some point this weekend.

Tom_Violence
2008-03-15, 07:40 AM
The Irish and Scottish are quite different, but Scotland was an Irish colony once; most modern Scots are descendants from those Irish colonists. So nyah. :smalltongue:

Yeah, and the Australians are all English, everyone in the US is a European, and everyone in the entire bloody world originated from Africa! :smallamused: :smallamused:

Anyway, as an actual Irish person myself, I feel I shall not sign this petition for reasons best highlighted by Aziraphale (cool name, by the by). The day has gotten a bit over the top - I still find it amusing to see it 'celebrated' back in 'the old country'.

Quincunx
2008-03-15, 07:51 AM
I'll see your amusement about it being celebrated back in the old country and raise you the contact embarrassment of being within earshot of an American who took a vacation to for the purpose of celebrating it in the old country trying to chat up what he thought was a local lass.

Blayze: *snort*chortle*gasp*tilts head back to laugh*drowns in rain*

Lord Herman
2008-03-15, 07:57 AM
Yeah, and the Australians are all English, everyone in the US is a European, and everyone in the entire bloody world originated from Africa! :smallamused: :smallamused:

I had just typed up a whole post explaining why that's not an accurate comparison, but my browser ate it. Rest assured, though, that I am right and you are wrong :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2008-03-15, 09:02 AM
*sigh*

You people are all wrong.
Today (the 15th of March) is St. Patricks' Day this year.
Can't believe you didn't know that.

Now you're all asking why: The 17th of March this year is the second day of Holy Week - the week before Easter SUnday (23rd March). So to avoid coinciding St/Holy days the Catholic Church moved St. Patricks' Day to today.

So: Happy St. Patricks' Day to all!

Also: the last time this happened was in the 1940s. And the next tim this happens will be roughly 2115.

Premsyl
2008-03-15, 12:03 PM
To all those who signed, thank you.

To all the cynics... *pinch*:smallamused:

Ganurath
2008-03-15, 12:28 PM
I'd sign if it were legal for me to do so, but I'm only 20. That's old enough to sell alcohol though, which means the store always gives me a big shift on St. Patty's. I want holiday pay, dernit!

Disdain
2008-03-15, 12:33 PM
Hahahaha! While I'm not Irish (Chinese, actually), my real name is Patrick and I WAS born on 3/17, so I signed as well. The thought that millions celebrate my birthday is warming.

Gygaxphobia
2008-03-15, 12:45 PM
I had just typed up a whole post explaining why that's not an accurate comparison, but my browser ate it. Rest assured, though, that I am right and you are wrong :smalltongue:

Well St Patrick was English* in the first place, so "nyah!" to all attempts at divisive genetics.

*(I've also heard Welsh actually)

RationalGoblin
2008-03-15, 12:47 PM
Hahahaha! While I'm not Irish (Chinese, actually), my real name is Patrick and I WAS born on 3/17, so I signed as well. The thought that millions celebrate my birthday is warming.

And the fact that you're a saint? :smalltongue:

Disdain
2008-03-15, 12:53 PM
Eh, not so much. I'm an 'entrenched' atheist.

Lord Herman
2008-03-15, 01:18 PM
Well St Patrick was English* in the first place, so "nyah!" to all attempts at divisive genetics.

*(I've also heard Welsh actually)

He was a Briton. There was no such thing as a Welshman or an Englishman in his day - the Anglo-Saxons hadn't invaded Britain yet.