PDA

View Full Version : class for a succubus?

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 07:22 PM
First thing first...

ANYONE IN MY CAMPAIGN MUST STOP READING NOW! TO CONTINUE READING IS PUNISHABLE BY ROCKS FALLING! AND YOU KNOW IF YOU ARE IN MY CAMPAIGN IF THERE IS A ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE IN SHARN.

now that that is out of the way, i have a succubus that was goning to be a reoccurring villian, but im trying to figure out what class to make her, any suggestions?

PS
I know i probably made more than a few spelling mistakes, but please don't dwell on them, just point it out and i'll edit it, thanks!

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-14, 07:27 PM
Fiend of Blasphemy from Fiend Folio. Ur Priestess. Wilder. Sorceress. Favored Soul. Marshal dip for Motivate Aura Charisma.

Da King
A high charisma class such as bard or sorceror would be best, or perhaps even a rogue. I personally think a sorceror would be best as a villain.

Paragon Badger
AAH!

Okay...

Fiend Folio; Fiend of Corruption.

:smallwink:

Edit: Or any of the classes from Fiend Folio, actually..

Nebo_
2008-03-14, 07:28 PM
Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade/Ur-Priest

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-14, 07:36 PM
Take Vow of Nudity and any class which is CHA based. Proceed to win always.

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 07:54 PM
Take Vow of Nudity and any class which is CHA based. Proceed to win always.

i don't even know where vow of nudity is... and i don't have feind folio, and how do u become a paladin of tyranny?

Paragon Badger
2008-03-14, 07:58 PM
i don't even know where vow of nudity is... and i don't have feind folio, and how do u become a paladin of tyranny?

A shame... but the Paladin of Tyranny and Slaughter are in Unearthed Arcana, or the varient rules of the SRD.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-14, 07:59 PM
Advanced succubus (10HD) with Fiend of Blasphemy levels and Eberron's Possession rule (not eberron specific).

Possession rule is from ECS pg100, this raises the fiend's CR by 2 but gives every single abilities of Fiend of Possession PrC.

An advanced succubus with possession ability should have CR of 11 (+2 from extra 4HD, another +2 from Possession ability). By advancing its Outsider HD it allows you to qualify for FoB (which requires Base will save bonus +7), as well as giving you some nice abilities based on Possession special ability.

If you're not comfortable with FoB using Wisdom as its spellcasting ability, you could just use Marshal from Miniature Handbook etc etc.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-14, 08:10 PM
Warlock might be good too, but Sorceror is gives the most potential for a manipulative villain.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-14, 08:24 PM
As for Vow of nudity... Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45529)

Very useful, and when in trouble, you can adapt it to fit an evil alignment.

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 08:33 PM
vow of nudity strikes me as overpowered, i like the warlock idea, it adds some offence and utility while still keeping the "at will" theme going, as for adding more manipulation, not so much, honestly i could give her possession, and on top of charm person and suggestion at will, i think it would be overkill, sorcerer could work, but there is a mage in the party that matches it in spells per day (would be more dramatic if you couldn't wear it down) and this particular one i would prefer to keep it from taking a melee class

PS
and i don't have minitures handbook either :smallfrown:

dspeyer
2008-03-14, 09:52 PM
How many class levels were you thinking of adding? Succubi are already ECL 12.

If you plan to add six or more class levels, sorceror's the most powerful and versatile. If you're figuring fewer, maybe not. Those low level spells might not be that helpful.

For fewer levels (and maybe for lots, too), I'd suggest bard. Almost the same spells known as a sorceror at low levels, plus skills (you really want maxed bluff and perform(acting)), fascinate (an area-effect compulsion) and some martial abilities, which succubi lack. Plus it fits the flavor a lot better.

As for warlock, if normal warlocks get their power by consuming demons, how do demonic warlocks get it?

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 10:08 PM

If you plan to add six or more class levels, sorceror's the most powerful and versatile. If you're figuring fewer, maybe not. Those low level spells might not be that helpful.

For fewer levels (and maybe for lots, too), I'd suggest bard. Almost the same spells known as a sorceror at low levels, plus skills (you really want maxed bluff and perform(acting)), fascinate (an area-effect compulsion) and some martial abilities, which succubi lack. Plus it fits the flavor a lot better.

As for warlock, if normal warlocks get their power by consuming demons, how do demonic warlocks get it?

Bard is not a bad choice, and succubi are CR 7 and i don't intend to add a lot of levels right away, maybe one or two, later she would get stronger, so sorcerer is probably out, bard is interesting, i will have to look into that, but im seeing warlocks getting almost as much martial abilities as bards do.

Oh and warlocks don't get their powers by consuming demons, they get it by trading their souls to demons in exchange for powers, so i would say that if a demon wanted to be one, it would be similar to a dragon being a sorcerer.

Nebo_
2008-03-14, 10:18 PM

ECL is for characters, that has nothing at all to do with an NPC.
I wouldn't go with a spell casting class unless it has fast advancement like Ur-Priest or Sublime Chord.

Squash Monster
2008-03-14, 10:22 PM
High ECL means casting classes are a bad idea, but all the good charisma-based classes are casters.

That said, I'd try taking a bard and playing it as a gish. Go for Snowflake Wardance then use the huge boost to hit as fodder for Power Attack.

Smiley_
2008-03-14, 10:24 PM
I would suggest a fiend of blasphemy, which is good of you intend for thwe succubus to have followers. Fiend of corruption allows for a souped up suggestion spell three times a day, though.

Sorcerer would also fit well in this case.

Succubi with class levels makes me glad that my exalted barbarian/Champ of (inpronouncable name) is immune to charm and compulsion.

As for the ECL, you add the level adjustment to the hit-dice, I believe, so a succubus sorcerer 1 would be ECL 13. Also, yuou would add the succubus's effective caster level to the sorceror levels to determine which level it could cast at.

Hal
2008-03-14, 10:31 PM
Hit up that thread on the BoEF. Sounds perfect for a succubus.

Solo
2008-03-14, 10:33 PM
vow of nudity strikes me as overpowered, i like the warlock idea, it adds some offence and utility while still keeping the "at will" theme going, as for adding more manipulation, not so much, honestly i could give her possession, and on top of charm person and suggestion at will, i think it would be overkill, sorcerer could work, but there is a mage in the party that matches it in spells per day (would be more dramatic if you couldn't wear it down) and this particular one i would prefer to keep it from taking a melee class

PS
and i don't have minitures handbook either :smallfrown:

Bah, wizards?
See how to best a wizard and more in Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Guide, available in my sig.

Hint: It involves catching him off guard, heighten spell, a 4 level dip in Fatespinner, and hitting him with a fortitude based Save or Die effect.

The_Snark
2008-03-14, 10:41 PM

Warlocks channel power from some source, whether it's devils, demons, or fey, or something else. A demon channeling demonic energy makes perfect sense to me.

Anyway, this is a villain, not a player character, so ECL is irrelevant; it's CR that matters.

It sort of depends on what role you want the villain to play. Do you want her to be behind-the-scenes manipulating things, and generally running away after a short fight when the players confront her? Is she commanding zombies?

Bard's not really a good idea; their spells are inferior to sorceror spells, the succubus already has lots of skills, and bardic music is either only useful when you have minions, or redundant since succubi already have Suggestion. Sorceror is a decent idea; most enemies will never get to use all of their spell slots against the players, so it doesn't really matter how many you have, as a rule. (And even if she runs out, she has spell-like abilities to fall back on.) Remember that the succubus is going to end up with high save DCs, so having only three or four levels of sorceror to start with is not really a bad thing; you don't actually want to wipe out your party with powerful high-level spells.

Warlock will also work, but since endurance is usually less important to an enemy than it is to the party, give her a couple levels more than you would have for a sorceror. 3d6 damage per round is pretty unimpressive once the PCs are above level 5 or so, and given that this is an advanced succubus I'm assuming that they are.

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 10:41 PM
guys! you seem to be forgetting something,
ECL DOESN'T MATTER FOR NPCS!
no matter what type of npc it is, ecl is not what matters, it's cr, so i don't need ppl arguing based of of ecl because it is for players, not monsters/npcs

EDIT: person in front of me beat me to what i was sayin :(

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 10:42 PM
Bah, wizards?
See how to best a wizard and more in Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Guide, available in my sig.

Hint: It involves catching him off guard, heighten spell, a 4 level dip in Fatespinner, and hitting him with a fortitude based Save or Die effect.

not a wizard, a variant class i found on the web, think similar to a sorcerer

Solo
2008-03-14, 10:46 PM
not a wizard, a variant class i found on the web, think similar to a sorcerer

Meh, on second thought, learn how to defeat anything with Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Guide.

nhbdy
2008-03-14, 10:49 PM
Warlocks channel power from some source, whether it's devils, demons, or fey, or something else. A demon channeling demonic energy makes perfect sense to me.

Anyway, this is a villain, not a player character, so ECL is irrelevant; it's CR that matters.

It sort of depends on what role you want the villain to play. Do you want her to be behind-the-scenes manipulating things, and generally running away after a short fight when the players confront her? Is she commanding zombies?

Bard's not really a good idea; their spells are inferior to sorceror spells, the succubus already has lots of skills, and bardic music is either only useful when you have minions, or redundant since succubi already have Suggestion. Sorceror is a decent idea; most enemies will never get to use all of their spell slots against the players, so it doesn't really matter how many you have, as a rule. (And even if she runs out, she has spell-like abilities to fall back on.) Remember that the succubus is going to end up with high save DCs, so having only three or four levels of sorceror to start with is not really a bad thing; you don't actually want to wipe out your party with powerful high-level spells.

Warlock will also work, but since endurance is usually less important to an enemy than it is to the party, give her a couple levels more than you would have for a sorceror. 3d6 damage per round is pretty unimpressive once the PCs are above level 5 or so, and given that this is an advanced succubus I'm assuming that they are.

so far this is a regular succubus with possession from ebberon added on, i was just going to add class levels, the party is around lvl 4, at this point if they can find a feasable way to fight her, then she's not so tough (which is why i put it in) thier only problem at thispoint is that she has enchanted over half of the party (which means they would likely defend her if she was attacked, i don't intend to acctually have her have class levels until later (when the party is stronger) but i wanted to work it out ahead of time

Collin152
2008-03-14, 11:02 PM
Meh, on second thought, learn how to defeat anything with Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Guide.

Ooh, blatant self-advertisement. Another point for you.

Randel
2008-03-14, 11:44 PM
If you have Players Handbook 2, you might give the Beguiler class a look. Spellcasting with mainly illusions and enchantments sounds like what a succubus could go with. Unfortunately, its an intelligence based spell casting class instead of charisma based.

Mewtarthio
2008-03-14, 11:46 PM
Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP places a gigantic spoiler warning in his first post, while the topic's title contains all the relevant information?

Kekken
2008-03-15, 12:03 AM
Why hasn't anybody suggested the rogue yet?

Not only do you get all the social skills, but, give her a ghost touch dagger and watch the ethereal jaunting sneak attacking madness...

.... THE MADNESS!!!!

Collin152
2008-03-15, 12:13 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that the OP places a gigantic spoiler warning in his first post, while the topic's title contains all the relevant information?

Highly.
I felt it polite not to point it out.

Devils_Advocate
2008-03-17, 07:36 PM
I only kinda skimmed the thread, so maybe I just missed it, but... What do you want this villain to, y'know, do? What's she supposed to be like? How is she meant to interact with the party? What are her goals, how does she hope to achieve them, and what sort of training might she pursue in order to achieve her objectives?

It just seems like once you know what role you want her to fill, class selection should be fairly straightforward.

Or are you still working on that, with just "succubus" as a starting point?