PDA

View Full Version : ravenloft-is there any escape???

selim nahanahs
2008-03-14, 08:26 PM
i've been reading the ravenloft rules and the book about it, it says the mist controls just about everything in the realm, there must be a way to outsmart the mist, im thinking there must be someway to destroy the mist somehow

Behold_the_Void
2008-03-14, 08:28 PM
I know Lord Soth from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting managed to get out, but he pissed the guys in charge off too much and they kicked him out or something.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-03-14, 08:29 PM
I'm not very familiar with ravenloft.

Hmm...

Maybe if you dropped a locate city bomb?

Chronos
2008-03-14, 08:35 PM
It's absolutely impossible to escape from Ravenloft by any means.

So naturally, half the modules out there for Ravenloft culminate with a means of escape.

I think there's some sort of fundamental rule of fantasy and science fiction that any absolute unbreakable law will be broken on a regular basis.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-14, 08:35 PM
What I've heard, is that sometimes you can be let out if you're "innocent".

I'm not terribly familiar with it.

To the best of my knowledge, getting out basically means the DM decides to let you out.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-14, 08:36 PM
From what i can gather there is no way of destroying the mists, except possibly by destroying the entire demiplane. However, given that no gods have done anything despite being cut off from any worshippers they might have who end up there it seems like a rather epic feat to destroy Ravenloft. Escape on the other hand is possible, just really, really hard. Like Void said Lord Soth escaped and several other darklords managed to leave the demiplane for shorter periods. I also know that the entire focus of the earlier versions of the Demiplane of Dread was escaping the place so it is very definitely part of the setting that escape is possible. The means are of course left up to the GM.

In the Kargatane's version of the setting published for 3.0 and 3.5 escape is not the focus, however, nor is it about killing the local darklord. Instead it is about the demiplane as a self-contained world and about being heroes who try to make a difference in a hostile world, even if you can never end the flood of evil. I personally love the Kargatane version of the setting, but i know that some people feel it is betraying the roots of what Ravenloft is.

Rutee
2008-03-14, 08:36 PM
I think there's some sort of fundamental rule of fantasy and science fiction that any absolute unbreakable law will be broken on a regular basis.

The odds of success are roughly 100 jillion.. to one.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-14, 08:37 PM
You mean exactly one million to one and as we all know those crop up nine times out of ten.

EagleWiz
2008-03-14, 08:46 PM
There is one simple way to survive (And only one) Remember kids: We dont go to ravenloft

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-14, 08:47 PM
Except if you try to invoke them for a million to one shot.

dyslexicfaser
2008-03-14, 08:48 PM
If by 'Lord Soth escapes' you mean 'Lord Soth becomes trapped in his own mist/Soth-created nightmare realm adjacent to Ravenloft after entering the mist', then yes. He totally escaped.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-14, 08:55 PM
He escapes in Spectre of the Black Rose to return to Krynn where he finally manages to die in Dragon of the Vanished Moon. At least according to wikipedia as i haven't read either of these books.

Ralfarius
2008-03-14, 09:00 PM
I remember a friend of mine back in 3rd had some sort of theory involving using a dreamscape to connect to the astral realm, or something to that effect. It potentially ended with spirits being supplanted in new bodies on some other prime material plane.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-14, 09:22 PM
There isn't a way to reliably escape Ravenloft except for one, which requires that you be a Domain Lord. As a Domain Lord, you must travel to the center of your Dark Power's created castle and just sit there. Do nothing, say nothing, and eat nothing. Interact with your domain in no way possible. Eventually, the Dark Powers will grow bored of you and eject you. You've defeated Ravenloft.

Yes, children, thats right. You defeat Ravenloft by doing nothing. Doing anything else invites the Dark Powers to play mind games with you all day.

G-Man
2008-03-14, 10:15 PM
Zero, thats hardly possible..

I consider myself a Ravenloft nerd, so I can shed some light on these things..

Deities cannot enter the realm anymore, so they cannot destroy it.. one of the original and most powerful Dark Lords has tried numerous times to escape, failing miserably... and Soth escaped because he rejected everything the Dark Powers tried to coerce him with.

Now, there are a few permanent portals out of the Realm of Dread. But these are, of course, guarded by malicious foul beings of pure hate and darkness.

Even dead souls don't escape the realm. They are trapped in the "Near Ethereal" (what happens after that is anybody's guess) BUT Travelling to the Astral PLane is impossible.. since any Planar Transportational magic is nullified.

But Ravenloft is essentiall a Call of Cthulu game. You're not supposed to win, if the DM is good though, your loss will be very entertaining, and emotional. A new Dark Lord for the mists... Bwahaha!

SilverClawShift
2008-03-14, 10:19 PM
i've been reading the ravenloft rules and the book about it, it says the mist controls just about everything in the realm, there must be a way to outsmart the mist, im thinking there must be someway to destroy the mist somehow

Destroy the mist? That's something deities couldn't accomplish if they worked together at it, primarily because no one's entirely sure what the mist actually is or how it operates. And they do indeed control everything in the realms.

But, outsmarting the mists?

Try this on for size: We did this in a campaign that took us through ravenloft.

The Vistani race are ravenloft natives, capable of navigating the mists to a degree no one else seems capable of. They can't get you out, but they can at least show you around for a little coin.

A Domain Lord is the BBEG of a particular area. They have an ability to "Close the Gates" so to speak, sealing off their little section of the realm from anything and everything else. Nothing gets into their domain, nothing leaves their domain, flat. Cold. Not even the vistani can get you through a domain that a lord has sealed.

There's a unique domain called the Carnival. It's a wandering freakshow of a domain, which temporarily superimposes itself over a tiny chunk of another domain, never staying in one place for long (hunting someone they'll never catch). Before the carnival shows up, the domain they'll be floating through suddenly seems littered with advertisements, plastered to the walls and drifting on the wind, for the immense carnival about to arrive.
The carnival springs up overnight, and leaves as quickly as it came, and cannot be stoppde or controlled by its own domain lord.

In our campaign, the domain we were in was sealed off in a fury. The Domain Lord was hell bent on destroying us utterly, and would not open his domain for ANYTHING until he had found, and executed us.
Our Vistani guide explained to us that this was no joke. He would hunt us, and kill us. If we somehow managed to stay a step ahead of him for our entire lives, we would die in hiding... by the whim of the domain lord, the five of us would never, ever leave his land. Ever.

Except, our party bard had tucked something into his pack as we'd been traveling. He'd noticed a flyer for the Carnival in another domain, and had been intrigued. We didn't have time to stay, but he'd held onto the flyer, because "Why not?".

So, our genius bard staples the flyer to the wall of the abandoned building across from the Inn we were laying low in. And we continued to lay low. And after 3 days? There were 5 flyers on the abandoned building across the street. By the end of the week, flyers were everywhere, littering the streets and plastered to every signpost and doorframe within view.
The carnival shows up, we get in, we stay in the entire time it's there (which has its own costs, mind you, the carnival warps long term visitors), and though we were being hunted all during the final night by the domain lords lackeys, we managed to hide out in the freakshow tent.

And when we woke up in the morning? Boom.

We'd hitched a ride out on the carnival.

Our DM had intended it to be a showdown between us and the domain lord. We were supposed to fight, and he was toying with the idea of a TPK, or at least knocking off everyone but one and giving us something to be terrified of.

But he was so impressed with the cleverness of the escape plan that he considered it better than the showdown would have been.

So there might occasionally be a trick or two to use against the mist. :smallwink:

EvilJames
2008-03-14, 10:20 PM
I haven't any confirmation of this as it is second hand info but friend of mine maintains that in one of the ravenloft supplements there is an artifact that can get you out. However it is incredibly evil to use as it requires the murder of 100 people to fuel it and an action that horrific would definitely invoke a powers check so even then you might not get out.

Also Vecna got out somehow but then he also somehow managed to bust into Sigil which the gods aren't even supposed to be able to do either

Terraoblivion
2008-03-14, 10:30 PM
The Kargatane version of Ravenloft has changed that to some degree G-Man. It has easened up on the meat grinder and instead seems to be focusing on the kind of morality tales of 19th century Gothic literature. A lot of fans appear to dislike this change along with the change to focusing on Ravenloft as a setting in itself and not a place for outlanders to adventure. It might be because i first learned properly about the setting in this version, but i am quite in favor of this change. It makes the setting more about confronting the darkness and striving to be the light in the shadow and less about brutal meaningless deaths. It has also brought along a greater awareness of the cultures of the core, something that is always positive.

G-Man
2008-03-14, 10:43 PM
Uhh.. that artifact was a hoax by the Dark Powers I think, can't remember though.

Vecna got ejected by the Dark Powers for literally starting to tear the Demiplane apart...

And I know how they changed the Ravenloft setting. I accept the cultural enhancements, I refute the new "fluff" on how they run things.
I'm just old fashioned. But then again, I do tend to make everything I mess with customized to my own insights and feelings.

So, culture is always good, and I believe the morality has always been there. But its been toned down to a pathetic degree, less failure, more redemption.. which is just less fun in my eyes.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-14, 10:51 PM
On the other hand you could see the change towards more redemption as being increasing the emphasis on morality by toning down the inevitability of your fall. The more real the possibility of doing good is the worse falling to temptation will be. If you have no real choice nut slip down the slope of self-inflicted curses for lack of better term or at best die without achieving anything, there is much less incentive to try to be moral. Whereas if you have a real chance of doing good actually giving in to temptation is more profound and thus the question of morality is more central.

I guess it is about a difference in preference and style. I generally dislike inevitability of anything whether success or defeat as desensitizing the player to the struggle that goes ahead. And just as importantly i just get depressed whenever i think about things as being inevitable.

Zincorium
2008-03-14, 11:08 PM
Vecna is what happens when a Batman Wizard becomes part of the canon setting. And gets divine rank. He's not really a good role model for players.

As for escaping Ravenloft: I've always felt that was, y'know, missing the point of playing in that setting in the first place. The first rule of ravenloft is you can never go home, the second rule of ravenloft is you can never go home, etc.

However, there's an important point to keep in mind if you want to leave. The dark powers are not actually evil. In fact, they're the ones who create paladins according to both the second and third edition books I've read, and in some versions they're the ones giving clerics spells.

The dark powers love conflict and angst. Effectively, what you've got to do is negate in some manner all the moping and moral quandries around you and they'll get so bored they will swap you out for someone else. I'm personally convinced they do this with a lot of people after they die, otherwise the near ethereal would be a lot more crowded (think about the mortality rates for commoners for a second and you'll see what I mean).

G-Man
2008-03-14, 11:17 PM
That's where you need to be crafty as a DM.

I've let players defeat Dark Lords before.. I've had paladins crusade and save towns and do real good. Most of my players only fall because they act stupid, or they make a mistake. I try to balance it, but to me, the new version feels like there's no point even trying to take a player beyond stage two of the Dark Power Curse.

It makes redemption feel TOO easy, although I have modified the old rules for redemption to make it a little easier, it just feels too easy. I pride myself on never actually forcing unwinnable situations on my players, their choices affect almost everything in a significant way.. Like.. the imbecili rogue who waylaid Strahd's taxman got drained by a vampiress.. And the drow walking around in plain sight got lynched.. (yes my players do this to annoy me)

So, I can understand why it feels better, but it should NOT be easy to gain redemption, and only a little easier to fall.

Mikeavelli
2008-03-15, 12:06 AM
Lord Soth escaped thanks to the only force more powerful than the Dark Powers themselves... Copyright law. The Ravenloft Intellectual Property was getting sold off, but the Dragonlance IP was staying with Wizards, so they let him escape.

Yes yes, I remember the artifact that'd let you get out of Ravenloft. You got a percentage chance to leave Ravenloft based on the number of hit dice you sacrificed to it in some kind of ritual. This was 2nd ed, by the way.

You could get up to something like a 70% chance of it working, with the failure resulting in either returning to where you started out from with the thing drained, or getting hurled off into the mists to appear somewhere at random. Ruleswise it really would work, but powering the thing up would force so many Dark Powers checks that you'd inevitably end up attracting the personal attention of the Powers. That was no fun.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-15, 12:17 AM
Ok, i think i misunderstood you then G-Man. You sounded like the fall was the whole focus of your games which seems a bit too much for what i would find enjoyable. As for the redemption i agree that the whole dark powers checks in third edition are strange, including redemption. I mean statistically speaking if you steal an apple seven hundred times you will become a dark lord according to them and that is just anti-climatic. As for redemption it really depends on what you did how easy it is. Gaining redemption for stealing apples is easy for example, which is probably a good thing as it means that you won't have a situation where most people in the world are at least a single step down the ladder. For breaking sacred vows however it is pretty difficult to achieve redemption because of how many times you need to get into a situation where you are truly tempted to break the vows and really horrible acts in the form of acts of ultimate darkness are irredeemable. Still i see your point in redemption feeling too easy being a problem in a setting like Ravenloft.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-15, 01:19 AM
Zero, thats hardly possible..

Of course it's impossible for a hero or a normal individual. Hence why I said it requires you to be a Domain Lord. After all, ignoring Ravenloft was the only way Lord Soth escaped.

However, there's an important point to keep in mind if you want to leave. The dark powers are not actually evil. In fact, they're the ones who create paladins according to both the second and third edition books I've read, and in some versions they're the ones giving clerics spells.

In my Ravenloft Campaign Setting handbook (2nd Ed, mind you) the Dark Powers are the stand-ins for divine spellcasters since it's impossible for normal gods and deities to access Ravenloft.

G-Man
2008-03-15, 01:33 AM
I meant its not possible in terms of realistic character progression.

If your character has fallen far enough to become a Dark Lord, they will have surrendered to at least ONE passion almost entirely and completely. So, ignoring everything is highly unlikely to happen unless copyright laws come into play..:smallamused:

A player who started ignoring everything that I used to torment their character would swiftly get hit with my dictionary. (yes, I -do- keep a dictionary by my side at the game table :smallannoyed: )

Strahd is doomed to always search for his lost love, the one he murdered his own brother for. His unabated desire for this being that pulled at his heart has kept him searching for centuries for each new incarnation of her.

Vlad Drakov (Dark Lord of Falkovnia) is cursed to never win a war he wages, despite his troops being some of the best in the Core. His short temper and awe-inspiring rage ensure he will keep fighting.

So, if a PC ignored something that was formerly a major emotional piece of history, they would be ignoring the very thing that caused them to become a Dark Lord.

That is why I don't think it's possible, or rather, if it is, it would be very cheesy roleplay. My fault for not clarifying.. its late and I'm on medication that does more harm than good. :smallsigh:

Indon
2008-03-15, 01:38 AM
Personally, I'd try for the Vecna route - reach epic levels and become progressively more dangerous to the plane, and ultimately the Powers themselves, and they'll get rid of you before that happens (provided you let them and don't just persist on destroying and/or cleansing the whole place out of principle).

Of course, D&D epic just starts to rewrite the rules in general, so what else would one expect?

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-15, 01:48 AM
A player who started ignoring everything that I used to torment their character would swiftly get hit with my dictionary. (yes, I -do- keep a dictionary by my side at the game table :smallannoyed: )

"I surrender to my passion of hatred for this campaign. Armed with my boots of +10 to hating this campaign and my +1 sword of hating this campaign, I'm going to become a Monk." :smallbiggrin:

To clarify: I agreed with you that it's impossible for a hero to do it. Since most PCs are organic characters. Though I'd think someone who has toppled a dark lord and been placed in his steed would be able to figure out that ignoring Ravenloft means you win against Ravenloft.

Aquillion
2008-03-15, 02:42 AM
I meant its not possible in terms of realistic character progression.

If your character has fallen far enough to become a Dark Lord, they will have surrendered to at least ONE passion almost entirely and completely. So, ignoring everything is highly unlikely to happen unless copyright laws come into play..:smallamused: Helm of opposite alignment FTW.

Alternatively, there are various abilities, spells, and powers that can change your personality. Programmed amnesia ("Lost love? What lost love?"), Mindrape, Mind Seed into a totally different person, etc.

...that's it. My new campaign concept is going to be an epic-level party who breaks into Ravenloft and starts forcibly reforming Dark Lords using various mind-affecting things, utilizing epic level versions to overcome immunities / resistances / mists as necessary, and eventually turning Ravenloft into a nightmarish suburban Zoloft-fueled Happytown where everyone's alignment is permanently fixed at lawful good and anyone with any sort of mental issues is instantly mindraped back into blissful happiness.

Pronounceable
2008-03-15, 04:17 AM
There is no escape from Ravenloft. Unless DM invents one. The Mists are untouchable, ununderstandable and generally un-. Deus ex Machining at its finest.

And Soth was indeed freed by copyrights. And a whole lot of complaining from Weiss, Hickmann and general DL community I believe.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-03-15, 06:19 AM

There is an absolutely unbreakable law of fantasy and science fiction that any absolute unbreakable law will be broken on a regular basis...

olelia
2008-03-15, 09:37 AM
Surprised it hasn't come up yet in this discussion...How do you escape Ravenloft?

Pun-Pun :smallbiggrin:

G-Man
2008-03-15, 09:58 AM
It seems this forum has a mandatory ruling for Pun Pun being mentioned in every thread pertaining to tabletop gaming.

No. PunPun actually wouldn't work, as, there are no Gods in Ravenloft, nor can the Gods influence it. The Dark Powers grant divine spells in lieu of the Deities, but they can choose to deny a being any power or ability they want.. so, the ability to gain any ability would be without a doubt denied, or twisted.. like, he usees it for infinit strength? The muscles tear from his flesh and leave a hulking mass of muscles tissue that crushes the rest of his body..

Now then, I'll ask that this not become yet ANOTHER discussion extolling the "great almighty virtues" of Pun-Pun.

holywhippet
2008-03-15, 03:30 PM
In terms of the novels, my impression of Soth's escape is that it wasn't due to him sitting around doing nothing - he did that for a long time but was very active near the end. My impression was that it was because of a competing cursed. His wife from back on Krynn had cursed him for his betrayal which turned him into a death knight. The elven priestesses who had lied to him became banshees (IIRC) and would sing to him each night about his fate.

This curse was countermanded by the curse of Soth being locked into Ravenloft. His dead wife's spirit along with that of his unborn son was pulled into Ravenloft as well in order to try and extract him. The original curse won out and Soth was returned to Krynn.

Oddly enough, judging by the later Dragonlance novels where Soth is finally killed off by Takhisis, the Dragonlance canon seems to completely ignore his trip to Ravenloft.

Arbitrarity
2008-03-15, 06:29 PM
How about the mortiverse then? :smallwink:

Godwin's law of D&D forums: As the length of a discussion increases, the chance of Pun-pun being mentioned approaches 1.

Leliel
2008-03-15, 06:46 PM
Normally, the only way to escape Ravenloft is to convince the Dark Powers to let you out (ie, being such a moral, upstanding person that they feel bad about keeping you there). As always, however, exceptions exist...

Take my BBEG for instance. You see, he did an act worthy of earning him a domain (Reaping sadistic, everlasting vengeance for his lost love), but he genuinely feels sorry for his actions, giving him the ability to perceive his link to the Mists. With a little ingenuity, a bit of patience, and a whole lot of power, he was able to use this link to essentially blast a hole in the fabric of Ravenloft. Depending on your interpretation, he was able to use the DP's confusion to escape, or they were so terrified of him blasting apart their little prison that they kicked him out. Either way, he is free, scheming, and more than a little PO-ed about having to spend time in that awful place.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-15, 06:56 PM
Diplomancer? :smallbiggrin:

Srsly though, I'd still say that a lot of the ground work in avoiding the great kobold paladin is still very much usable for any sort of escape plan.

Use of timestop for the formulation of any sort of plan (undetectable whilst in it, y'see) would be a start, probably followed by the aforementioned 'take Ravenloft hostage by starting a plan to muck it up real bad' scheme. You could use the plane's survival as a bargaining chip to start getting people out.

I'm not exactly sure how you'd do this, but threatening to end time by filling it with quintessence could work, if you're in timestop.

It's not for nothing that Vecna, the god of Batman Wizardry (he is in fact the ascended form of our very own Logic Ninja), is one of Ravenloft's most notable escapees.

Edit:Note - filling planes with quintessence is a personal favourite method of destruction. Makes sense in a thematic way, too.

SilverClawShift
2008-03-15, 07:18 PM
Talking about trying to outsmart the mists is like talking about trying to destroy Cthulhu. It's nerd-culture taboo.

It's not taboo because there's no conceivable way to do it (either mechanically or fluffwise). It's taboo because they're something of a collective agreement in modern myth at large. It's a circular rule that reinforces itself: "You don't beat Cthulhu, because you just don't."

Cthulhu is Endgame given (incomprehensible) form. He's what you use when you want to use something that can't be beaten, that's what he's in reserve for.

The mists of ravenloft are similar, in that they're faceless manipulation given (a lack of) form. You simply do not know what they're doing. You don't know what they want. You don't know how they accomplish what they do. Elminster? Doesn't know. Hallaster? Doesn't know. Asmodeus? Drawin a blank. Lolth, Pelor, Corellon, Bahamut, Tiamat?.. no clue whatsoever.

AO? In the dark my friends. Way in the dark.

Cause they're the mists.

Lupy
2008-03-15, 07:33 PM
The mists of ravenloft are similar, in that they're faceless manipulation given (a lack of) form. You simply do not know what they're doing. You don't know what they want. You don't know how they accomplish what they do. Elminster? Doesn't know. Hallaster? Doesn't know. Asmodeus? Drawin a blank. Lolth, Pelor, Corellon, Bahamut, Tiamat?.. no clue whatsoever.

Very, very true, but all of them together? The mists are without a doubt the most powerful thing in the multiverse... But throw a few Powerful Gods, some Epic Mages, and maybe a few Kender for flavor, and you have a group capable of smashing the mulitverse. Tearing a physical hole in the plane is an escape... But can they seal to keep in the mist? Cuz I always figured the High God created Ravenloft as a prison for the mist...

The team I had thought of:

Raistlin
Elminster
Tahkisis
Gilean
Heironious
Tas
and PunPun
(yes, I like DL, no we don't agree with the whole "Soth went to Ravenloft" crud)

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-15, 07:41 PM
Pah. Lightweights.

Could Her Ladyship of Sigil open portals to Ravenloft? I'd suspect so, since she has authority from the World Serpent, or whatever that 'one above all' thing is.

SilverClawShift
2008-03-15, 07:49 PM
And so the nerd-culture-taboo-paradox begins.

What happens when you put the lady of pain up against the mists?

The mists are the ultimate gatekeeper, but the lady of pain has all of the keys.

Interesting.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-15, 07:55 PM

The mists are the ultimate gatekeeper, but the lady of pain has all of the keys.

Interesting.

As I said on the other thread, NERD RAAGE! :smallamused:

I like Lupy's idea of Ravenloft being primarily a prison for the mists. Creating an eternal prison-demiplane seems like a rather Lady of Pain-ish thing to do.

GoC
2008-03-15, 11:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can escape Ravenloft through the plane of shadow. How do we know that the mist is "the most powerful thing in the multiverse"?

Roderick_BR
2008-03-16, 03:03 AM
Personally, I'd try for the Vecna route - reach epic levels and become progressively more dangerous to the plane, and ultimately the Powers themselves, and they'll get rid of you before that happens (provided you let them and don't just persist on destroying and/or cleansing the whole place out of principle).

Of course, D&D epic just starts to rewrite the rules in general, so what else would one expect?
Don't forget destroying a whole realm and become a god yourself. Maybe that's the trick? Become a god so you are kicked out, since divine spellcasters lose direct contact with their deities, some unwritten rule means that gods can't go in, and are kicked out.

G-Man
2008-03-16, 11:14 AM
You can't really gain divine ranks without a patron deity, and since there are no deities in Ravenloft, its not possible. (That and you'd never get enough people to worship you as a god, ever)

However, trying to break out of the mists with your supposed "Link" as a Dark Lord isn't feasible in any realistic sense. Azalin Rex, an ancient incredibly powerful lich who has no known phylactery and has managed to tear the Core appart at least twice, The Great Upheaval, The Grand Conjunction. The only link that Dark Lord's have with their domains is the ability to sense paladins, know who crosses the borders, and cut their domain off from the outside world. Also, Timestop... Hardly think you would be able to form a plan in the few rounds it lasts. And then the Dark Power's would just read your mind and garner the information as soon as the spell ended.

And no, since Planar Travel is completely inhibited in -all- forms, trying to leave through the Shadow Plane wouldn't work.

My personal theory about Ravenloft is that it exists outside the cosmologies of anything else, but sneaks its misty tendrils into all of them to take those it wishes. Undetected, untouchable, yet able to fulfill its own whims.

GoC
2008-03-16, 12:49 PM
And no, since Planar Travel is completely inhibited in -all- forms, trying to leave through the Shadow Plane wouldn't work.

Would that druid spell that turns terrain shadowy work? What about the class abilities of a planar shepard?

Aren't you allowed a very high willsave to resist mind reading? What about immunity to mind-reading effects?

G-Man
2008-03-16, 02:47 PM
You remind me of one of my players...

Mm. If you read the books, you see that the Dark Powers can still read the minds of undead beings, and one of the most powerful wizards of the land, Strahd Von Zarovich. Heck, strahd even has an amulet that makes him immune to divination.

And shadowy terrain isn't technically the Plane of Shadow itself, it just resembles it (not sure if I know the exact spell you're talkinga bout though). And yes, it negates any and all, no matter what class, forms of planar travel. It even does the same for innate Planar Travel abilities, such as those of a Pit Fiend. Of course Fiends have their own "Reality Wrinkle" where they disrupt the power of a Dark Lord over their realm in a certain radius to balance it out.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-16, 03:54 PM
WORSHIP AND PETITION THE LADY OF PAIN TO OPEN A PORTAL FOR YOU.

Strike that, bad idea.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-16, 06:32 PM
WORSHIP AND PETITION THE LADY OF PAIN TO OPEN A PORTAL FOR YOU.

Strike that, bad idea.

Wouldn't that most likely result in her opening a portal IN you?

GoC
2008-03-16, 09:46 PM
You remind me of one of my players...

Mm. If you read the books, you see that the Dark Powers can still read the minds of undead beings, and one of the most powerful wizards of the land, Strahd Von Zarovich. Heck, strahd even has an amulet that makes him immune to divination.

And shadowy terrain isn't technically the Plane of Shadow itself, it just resembles it (not sure if I know the exact spell you're talkinga bout though). And yes, it negates any and all, no matter what class, forms of planar travel. It even does the same for innate Planar Travel abilities, such as those of a Pit Fiend. Of course Fiends have their own "Reality Wrinkle" where they disrupt the power of a Dark Lord over their realm in a certain radius to balance it out.
The druid spell "brings part of the plane of shadow into the material plane". Would shadow evocation work?
Of the questions:
"Would that druid spell that turns terrain shadowy work? What about the class abilities of a planar shepard?

Aren't you allowed a very high willsave to resist mind reading? What about immunity to mind-reading effects?"
I'm guessing your answer to #3 was that none of the beings have so far resisted and as the powers aren't statted out we can't tell. Am I right?
Don't the mechanics for Ravenloft describe wether or not #1 and #2 work? Has there been a case of #4?

Serpentine
2008-03-17, 12:35 AM
I read a very old Dragon magazine recently that described an interplanar tavern, that had something like a door into every plane. It explicitly mentioned that this includes Ravenloft, and is a potential means of escaping it. Trouble is... it tends to move around a lot, so it's rather hard to find. I think the article was Inn of the Planes or somesuch.

Green and Red
2008-03-17, 10:51 AM
Two ideas:
1. couldnt you try to increase the population of your realm to extreme levels and then make them worship you to become a god? ok, something would propably interfere before you get so many people , but still.

2.Simply become powerful? I mean lets say you reach epic levels... and from there go on... At some point, either of two things will happen
1. Something stops you from getting more powerful (like azalins curse that he cant learn more magic or something)
2.You become more powerful than anything else in the multiverse... now you propably can get out.

Terraoblivion
2008-03-17, 11:06 AM
Unless the mists has found a way to twist your pursuit tying you more firmly to the demiplane at least. In general i am of the belief that ways out should be special exceptions that are chosen for dramatic effect and not something hypothetically anybody could do.

Swordguy
2008-03-18, 01:26 AM
I read a very old Dragon magazine recently that described an interplanar tavern, that had something like a door into every plane. It explicitly mentioned that this includes Ravenloft, and is a potential means of escaping it. Trouble is... it tends to move around a lot, so it's rather hard to find. I think the article was Inn of the Planes or somesuch.

That portal is also explicitly a one-way portal.

Ravenloft has always been quite possible to get in. You just don't get out. The sole exception to that rule is "when the DM says so". It is pure DM fiat. (Not that that's a bad thing in a horror game, in my mind.)

Dode
2008-03-18, 01:42 AM
1. Summon monsters and kill them 24/7, slowly but surely XP grinding over the centuries
2. Create Epic Spell "Gate from Ravenloft"

man I don't know why all those modules were written

Quincunx
2008-03-18, 08:14 AM

Interesting.

Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes. . .The dead rising from the graves. . .Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

Will these "Dark Powers" sit still while Aquillon's group attempts to remake the realm into a second Stepford? Tune in and find out. . .

TomTheRat
2008-03-18, 07:41 PM
Theres a six module set called Hyskos'a Hexad that starts around level 1 and ends around level 12-14. In it the PCs accidentally trigger six signs fortold by a Vistani seer, and in the end all off Ravenloft gets dumped back into the Prime Material Plane.

The very last module is a game of playing Strahd against Azalin against a Greater Yulgoloth, when you're way too low level to try and kill them. If you do it right, the DM has the opportunity to let the PCs out.

I suppose if you wanted to run a segment of that you could do that to get your PCs out. Very good campaign tho.

hamlet
2008-03-19, 07:38 AM
The Mists of Ravenloft were, originally, a plot device. They were designed to emulate the pulp horror movies and stories that we all know and love around Haloween time every year. "The mists rise and you find yourself in a strange and frightening place . . ."

It all depends on how you're using Ravenloft and its mists. Are you using the Ravenloft setting as your campaign world? If so, then I'll be the first to say that No, there is no escape from Ravenloft. Though you might be able to outwit the local lords and the dark powers, you'll never get out. That's the true, fundamental horror of it. You're trapped, whether you deserve it or not. In fact, somewhere deep down, even the brightest and noblest paladin does deserve it.

If you're just talking about using a module from Ravenloft as a standalone, then the Mists, or whatever device you use if any, are essentially meaningless and "escaping" them is equally meaningless. They provide atmosphere, nothing more. In fact, throwing a Ravenloft adventure into a more standard campaign every now and then adds a nice bit of flavor (currently playing in a campaign that has done just that) and gets the players on their toes, especially after they fail that first horror check.

In the end, it's up to the DM how the Mists operate, but unless you're playing a Ravenloft game specifically, I'd say that they are, essentially, ignorable.

bosssmiley
2008-03-20, 01:37 PM
There is one simple way to survive (And only one) Remember kids: We dont go to ravenloft

Problem with that plan. Sometimes Ravenloft comes to you. :smallamused:
Yes, the Mists can pull you in at any time for no readily apparent reason. Seems they like to toy with puny mortals, be they evil or not.

"Van Richten's Guide to Liches" has a section on how and why the Mists work as they do, and Planescape's old (IIRC) "Guide to the Ethereal" had a section on Ravenloft as the dreaded Hotel California of the Ethereal. Yeah, Ravenloft rocked. It sure as heck kicked the Far Relam into a cocked hat for malign, inscrutable weirdness.

Best way to survive: hide all knowledge of Ravenloft from your DM. :smallwink: