PDA

View Full Version : Structured Games Forum

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-14, 09:20 PM
Why is it that I can't create new threads there?

EmeraldRose
2008-03-14, 09:24 PM
You have to create new threads in the SMBG forum, and ask a mod to move it. But there are certain rules involved...actually, it just has to be more structured than the usual SMBG stuff. I'd suggest posting, then PM a mod to ask them to move it over.

PirateMonk
2008-03-14, 09:26 PM
Are you asking how it works, or why the mods decided it should work that way?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-14, 09:36 PM
The second one.

EmeraldRose
2008-03-14, 09:48 PM
I was kinda wondering about that Iames :smalltongue: I think it was in an effort to keep the 'silly' games in one area, and give the games like WereWolf (which tend to have actual rules, and set players) its own area.

Alarra would probably be a good person to ask about the real reason behind the decision.

Rawhide
2008-03-15, 05:39 AM
You have to create new threads in the SMBG forum, and ask a mod to move it. But there are certain rules involved...actually, it just has to be more structured than the usual SMBG stuff. I'd suggest posting, then PM a mod to ask them to move it over.

You have that backwards. Please ask a moderator FIRST, before creating the game and expecting it to be moved, thanks.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-15, 08:49 AM
You have that backwards. Please ask a moderator FIRST, before creating the game and expecting it to be moved, thanks.
What would help, I think, would be for that process to be recorded in a sticky in Structured Games, or in that forum's descriptor.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-25, 02:02 PM
I agree. Speaking as someone who created the threads and then wanted them moved after the fact, I can testify that it is difficult to follow rules when one doesn't know that there are rules to be followed.

Charity
2008-03-26, 11:13 AM
Rawhide is from the birthplace of Mexican telling someone anything but the basic rules is against the rules... till they break em of course.
I hope you have your pinky extended when you took your penalty imbibe.. no, oh well do it again.. didn't use your penalty hand huh...

Castaras
2008-03-26, 12:51 PM
why the mods decided it should work that way?

I'd quite like to know the answer to this as well. Surely it'd be less work for all involved to just allow us to create threads in the Structured Games forum?

Roland St. Jude
2008-03-26, 05:24 PM
I'd quite like to know the answer to this as well. Surely it'd be less work for all involved to just allow us to create threads in the Structured Games forum?

Imagine, if you will, a shiny new subforum, like a tabula rosa just waiting to be writ upon (posted in). Imagine further that this empty formless subforum is a subforum of Silly Message Board Games, a place that is itself a paragon of sillyness, randomness, and fun. If the new forum had been created and people allowed to post in it at will, the entire forum would have been inundated before we even had the existing structured games moved over. What would it have been inundated with? Lots of junk only some of which was a structured game. Also, in the early days of the new forum, we wanted to make sure that posts made there belonged there. That is, we wanted to make sure people understood how Structured Games differed from other Silly Message Boards Games, and that the right threads got in the right place. Finally, the creation of Structured Games was intended to give structured games a place to live, but not necessarily to increase the number of games/threads. It was created as part of a massive pruning/restructuring with load issues in mind, iirc.

I think that it's possible that these reasons for the restriction may no longer be relevant. We've moved things over and everyone's had time to adjust. There may be other reasons for the restrictions, though. (And it isn't really all that much work to post or move a structured game; it's probably a wash for the moderators with monitoring game propriety.)

A discussion about possibility of putting in an instruction announcement and/or lifting the restriction is underway now. How long such a discussion will take, only the shadow knows. :smallwink:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-27, 08:56 AM
A discussion about possibility of putting in an instruction announcement and/or lifting the restriction is underway now. How long such a discussion will take, only the shadow knows. :smallwink:
So does that mean this discussion is a type of evil lurking in the hearts of men?

Or does the Shadow know more than he's letting on?

Roland St. Jude
2008-03-27, 04:22 PM
So does that mean this discussion is a type of evil lurking in the hearts of men?

Or does the Shadow know more than he's letting on?

Oh no, it just happens to be one of the other things the Shadow knows. Evil lurking in the hearts of men is important and all, but message board administration is where he really puts most of his time these days.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-28, 11:21 AM
Oh no, it just happens to be one of the other things the Shadow knows. Evil lurking in the hearts of men is important and all, but message board administration is where he really puts most of his time these days.
Hm. I guess that's a pretty natural transition.

Shadow
2008-04-01, 01:50 PM
What would help, I think, would be for that process to be recorded in a sticky in Structured Games, or in that forum's descriptor.And I finally noticed this thread.
I'll add a blurb in Werewolf Central to that effect, although I think it's basically become common knowledge for the most part, it will help first time game creators such as Iames.

[edit]
Done. Blurb added to the Scheduling post so that any new game creators' should be sure to see it.

evnafets
2008-04-02, 07:05 PM
And the shadow has spoken
But he didn't tell us when :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2008-04-03, 06:55 AM
How long such a discussion will take, only the shadow knows. :smallwink:

Right, Shadow! Seeing as you've noticed this thread, how long will said discussion take? :smallwink:

Shadow
2008-04-03, 01:28 PM
Right, Shadow! Seeing as you've noticed this thread, how long will said discussion take? :smallwink:

Well, if I told you, then the phrase "Only the Shadow knows" wouldn't apply any more, would it? :smallamused: