PDA

View Full Version : So, will Celia understand Roy has killed 1,000s of Green and Orange skins?

Charles Phipps
2008-03-14, 09:35 PM
Or hate him for being a racist?

It's a tough call because Roy is one of the few people who ever helped Orcs get concert tickets.

Yet, he's also the guy stopping Red Cloak's plan.

Spiky
2008-03-14, 11:08 PM
Fighting somebody doesn't make you a racist. Esp not in OOTS, where the whole world seems to be humans vs goblins. No offense to Celia or others, but that's the story. The rest are filler species.

WarriorTribble
2008-03-14, 11:15 PM
Celia already knew Roy and co. killed thousands of goblins and misc since he is/was a long time adventurer. It didn't stop her from dating him though.

Zordrath
2008-03-15, 06:02 AM
Well, true, but she hadn't SEEN what Roy does on a daily basis with her own eyes. Now she has, and she doesn't seem to like it. Maybe she assumed Roy only killed if there was absolutely no other possibility, but now that she witnessed his party members killing whoever they happen to come across, she might see him in a different light.

Felixaar
2008-03-15, 06:09 AM
I dont think Celia understands anything.

Kaelaroth
2008-03-15, 06:17 AM
I dont think Celia understands anything.

No, she's just a person from an incredibly different culture from the main characters. She has proven herself to have at least basic knowledge of the law, at least enough to beat a seasoned lawyer, and is quite good at acting and applying cosmetics.

Although she wasn't aware of the magical abilities of humans, that doesn't make her unintelligent. What is does show, backed up by some of her comments and flashbacks, is that Celia has spent most, if not all of her life, in a world dominated by high-magic beings, primarily other fey.

Jayngfet
2008-03-15, 11:51 AM
yes but the differennce here is that roy is killing the ones protecting the guys trying to unleash the thing thats going to end creation, but odds are that she's still going to talk to him.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-03-15, 11:58 AM
It's kind of ironic, isn't it? Celia is a pacifist and Roy kills things for a living (fighter.).

Faustling
2008-03-15, 12:01 PM
Both of them do seem to have some problems with the other ones profession. Celia isn't a fan of killing goblins for a living and lawfully good Roy didn't seem especially happy regarding Celia's joy in twisting the laws to fit her purpose. I think they'll be able to cope with it though.

Quorothorn
2008-03-15, 12:28 PM
Well, true, but she hadn't SEEN what Roy does on a daily basis with her own eyes. Now she has, and she doesn't seem to like it. Maybe she assumed Roy only killed if there was absolutely no other possibility, but now that she witnessed his party members killing whoever they happen to come across, she might see him in a different light.

Party member: no plural there, it's all Belkar, baby.

kpenguin
2008-03-15, 12:36 PM

It's a tough call because Roy is one of the few people who ever helped Orcs get concert tickets.

He doesn't know about Redcloak's plan. All he knows is that he's Xykon's lacky, and maybe not even that.

I'd say that he and Celia might come to an understanding.

Like you said, he helped the orcs get concert tickets, so he does understand that greenskins aren't just for killing. While he will probably disagree with Celia on when killing is necessary (like in a war zone), he'll sympathize with her views.

Thexare Blademoon
2008-03-15, 01:11 PM
She has proven herself to have at least basic knowledge of the law, at least enough to beat a seasoned lawyer,
Are you talking about the rigged trial? Because if you are, that really shouldn't count.

Porthos
2008-03-15, 01:36 PM
It's kind of ironic, isn't it? Celia is a pacifist....

I must have missed the strip(s) that establish this point. Could you show me exactly where the comic shows that Celia is a pacifist? Thanks. :smallsmile:

Lorde
2008-03-15, 01:40 PM
I don't give 20 strips before people turn Celia in the 2nd Miko.

Not even Roy mother is so picky with her son girlfriends.

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-03-15, 03:22 PM
Roy is a bit different. i don't think celia's problem is that they kill gobbos in the first place, but that they are so apathetic about it. Roy, however, as specifically shown problems mindlessly killing such NPCs, stating that he'd never kill just because it's more convenient than talking to them

David Argall
2008-03-15, 03:24 PM
I must have missed the strip(s) that establish this point. Could you show me exactly where the comic shows that Celia is a pacifist? Thanks. :smallsmile:

Really it's only been the past three strips, tho Celia has not shown a violent side since she was summonsed. Before that she was casual with, if not attracted by, Roy's record as a killer, and had been distinctly violent when Nale pulled that gag on her.

It is entirely possible to insist she has been a slightly squeemish civilian who just doesn't understand the needs of adventuring all the way thru the strip ["Well, yes, I did attack a helpless bound individual, with an area effect spell that could have been lethal and that could have hurt innocent bystanders & did hurt a somewhat innocent one, but I didn't mean to really hurt him..."], but I'd guess our author looked at her and correctly decided she was a bit dull and needed something besides being the hero's girlfriend. She needed something to conflict with the party about. Miko was all rules and regulations. So Celia is now all peaceful resolution of arguments involving raging barbarians.

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-03-15, 06:06 PM

Well, it isn't like Roy and co. exclusivly kill Goblins, they just kill the various bad guy/minions to evil overlord types that are standing between point A and point B.

I think the only problem she would have wouldn't be what it is they are killing, but the attitude to killing it and/or the necessity of them killing it. If she suspects he might just be a mindless hack/slasher she might be unhappy, but there shouldn't be any danger of that as it is pretty clear he is not.

And I don't think Celia is completely a pacifist. She was after all part of the guard of a dungeon. But her attitude makes sense if she is going to be something of a defense lawyer.

Zordrath
2008-03-15, 08:31 PM
Party member: no plural there, it's all Belkar, baby.
True, but Haley didn't really put much effort in stopping him, she even justified him. Not in the gnome's case, but it's pretty obvious that Roy would never do that. Roy might kill many a Goblin though, who, from Celias point of view, doesn't need to be killed, and I don't think she'll be very comfortable with that thought (up until now, she maybe thought adventurers only kill in self-defence).

Quorothorn
2008-03-15, 10:48 PM
True, but Haley didn't really put much effort in stopping him, she even justified him. Not in the gnome's case, but it's pretty obvious that Roy would never do that. Roy might kill many a Goblin though, who, from Celias point of view, doesn't need to be killed, and I don't think she'll be very comfortable with that thought (up until now, she maybe thought adventurers only kill in self-defence).

I dunno...in both cases it was over in an instant; in the former, she couldn't have done anything at all without blowing their cover, and in the latter there was quite simply no time for her to react: Belkar's just too good at one-hit-KOs. Yes, she did justify Belkar's killing of the hobgoblin, but she was right (though she didn't use the argument I would've, which is that the stabbed hobby was about to see through their ploy), and Haley did also go along with Celia's plan in the first place as well. I think Roy would have done pretty much the same as Haley. Well, he might have prevented Belkar from killing the gnome I suppose, by his presence and maybe by taking a different tack in explaining the earlier killing, but still.

I doubt Celia thought adventurers only kill in absolute self-defense, judging from some of her earlier remarks. Anyway, aside from the coup de grace'd goblins back during V's non-magical Sleep spell, when has Roy killed any living creature that was not at that very instant attempting to kill him?

Flickerdart
2008-03-15, 11:01 PM
I don't give 20 strips before people turn Celia in the 2nd Miko.

Not even Roy mother is so picky with her son girlfriends.

I don't know about that. Miko was an awesome deviation from the stereotypical Perfect Good Paladin. Plus, fallen Paladins get cool armour.
Celia, on the other hand, can't fight, can't even justify killing one enemy, and is only good for comic relief and plot control.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-16, 07:03 AM
Fighting somebody doesn't make you a racist. Esp not in OOTS, where the whole world seems to be humans vs goblins. No offense to Celia or others, but that's the story. The rest are filler species.

Wait, that's an interesting point actually. We've seen quite a bit of dwarves, but have we met any elves at all, except for Vaarsuvius and Zz'tdri? Are there any halflings around anywhere, except for Belkar and Frudu? It seems that most races are extremely rare around the OOTSverse.

brilliantlight
2008-03-16, 07:49 AM
I think it never really hit home to Celia that Roy must have killed thousands by the time she met him.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-03-16, 01:21 PM

Well, I suppose there's no proof. Just the most recent strips that say that she dosn't kill.

I suppose pacifist may not be the correct label, but that dosn't really change anything, does it? It's still whimsiclly ironic to have a non-killer and a killer in love. I'm just giving out my observation.

But no proof of actual pacifist status. Yet.:smallamused:

OverWilliam
2008-03-16, 03:07 PM
I thought we've already established Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0451.html) that hating goblins because they're goblins isn't racist, but speciesist? :smallamused: