PDA

View Full Version : Monk/Paladin build (feel free to critique)

Adonis1x23
2008-03-14, 10:35 PM
Ok, so awhile ago I was inspired by OOTS to make my own monk paladin. Although Miko was the original basis for my character, over time I tweaked and tweaked till my final creation is not very similar to Mikko at all. My dm recently threw this character into our campaign, and I am excited to see if it performs as well as I hope it does. Feel free to critique my build, or provide suggestions. This character is currently level 6.

I had to switch up the order in which Paladin and Monk levels were taken to make it work. The extra feat at 5th lvl comes from a DM crafted flaw.

Here is the build thus far
Lvl 6
Aasimar +2 Cha and Wis (+1 la bought out with UA rules)
Wis 20 Dex 16 Con 14 Cha 11 Str 10 Int 10
(*Wis 20; rolled 16+2racial+2periapt of wisdom)

Paladin 1 Intuitive Strike
Paladin 2
Paladin 3 Serenity
Monk 4 Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (Decisive Strike variant,ph2?)
Monk 5 Combat Reflexes, Ascectic Knight
Paladin 6 Divine Vigor, Improved Natural attack (Holy Warrior variant, cc)

Like I said, this build is no longer any attempt to emulate Mikko. I plan to invest in a Monk belt as soon as I can.

From here I was either going to go

Paladin 7 (charging smite variant, ph2)
Monk 8 (prayerful meditation variant cc)
Monk 9 Superior Unarmed Strike or Extra Smite(holy fist variant, cc)

or just another 3 level of Paladin, charging smite variant, with Superior Unarmed Strike or Extra Smite

So what do you think of it so far?

Solo
2008-03-14, 10:39 PM
Well, first off, you've got Monk levels, which reduce your effectiveness as a Paladin...

Smiley_
2008-03-14, 10:46 PM
Well, first off, you've got Monk levels, which reduce your effectiveness as a Paladin...

Well, that goes without saying.

Anyway, the paladin is one of the most overlooked class in the core rulebook. If you focus on CHA, nothing else, and take power attack, divine might and divine shield (which give you bonusses to hit, damage, and a deflection bonus to AC respectively, I think) feats, and a few feats of extra turning, you have a palladin who can go for several rounds as a hard-to-hit powerhouse with mind boggling deflection bonus and great saves.

A paladin/sorceror might be interesting.

Adonis1x23
2008-03-14, 10:48 PM
This build isnt meant to be played like a regular paladin or monk. You dont cross class to play one class.

Serenity makes all the Paladin powers (diving grace, turning, etc) run on Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Smiley_
2008-03-14, 10:54 PM
Then it might work. Try it out for a run and see what happens.

It might develop to be a mage-killer with evasion and those high saves.

Zincorium
2008-03-14, 10:56 PM
You should definitely look into the sacred fist PrC from complete divine. For what you're doing, you really can't beat it. Seriously. Increased unarmed damage, increased paladin spellcasting, increased AC, increased speed, full BAB, two good saves.

And then we get to the class features. Which would make it worth it without any of the above. Sacred flames means you will kill things and do so fast.

And the code of conduct is stuff you will almost certainly be doing anyway.

Solo
2008-03-14, 10:58 PM
Then it might work. Try it out for a run and see what happens.

It might develop to be a mage-killer with evasion and those high saves.

Replace monk with sorcerer and go Abjurant Champion, then Eldritch Knight ftw.

You'll want to put lots of points into Con, and use Mage Armor and Abjurations for AC.

For the record, Alter Self can get you a Troglodyte, which has +6 natural AC

Smiley_
2008-03-14, 11:04 PM
Oh yes, Solomon, always with the sorceror and thinking of how best to use 'em. Never fails.

But I am not sure adonis wants a sorceror build.

Nebo_
2008-03-14, 11:08 PM
Replace monk with sorcerer and go Abjurant Champion, then Eldritch Knight ftw.

You'll want to put lots of points into Con, and use Mage Armor and Abjurations for AC.

For the record, Alter Self can get you a Troglodyte, which has +6 natural AC

Yeah, because he'll make a great sorcerer with 11 Cha. Sacred Exorcist would be better than Eldritch Knight, for that build, anyway.

You should definitely look into the sacred fist PrC from complete divine.

Argent Fist would be better. Wis to AC in heavy armour? Yes please!

McMindflayer
2008-03-14, 11:23 PM
just wanted to point out that once you multiclass out of paladin or monk you cannot go back into it...
unless your Dm doesn't care in which case. Go for it.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-14, 11:27 PM
Ascetic Knight feat allows him to multiclass freely between them.

I second Sacred Fist... it's 9/10 spellcasting (i think) with full bab and unarmed damage progression... it's exactly what you need. :)

Nebo_
2008-03-14, 11:30 PM
I second Sacred Fist... it's 9/10 spellcasting (i think) with full bab and unarmed damage progression... it's exactly what you need. :)

8/10 or 10/10 depending on whether you read the table or text. It just isn't that great for a Paladin/Monk. It's much, much better with a cleric.

Zincorium
2008-03-14, 11:30 PM
Argent Fist would be better. Wis to AC in heavy armour? Yes please!

Argent fist is good, if you're running eberron, but holy armor is not nearly as good as it looks at first glance. You lose flurry of blows, and you lose fast movement. Not a small deal when you already probably have a rather high dex bonus.

Secondly, it's not better than sacred fist. Y'know why? Sacred fist gets your class level plus your wisdom modifier to damage on each hit for a minute a day, two minutes later on. Half of this cannot be stopped by any kind of energy resistance or DR. Think about how much extra damage that is combined with flurry of blows.

Solo
2008-03-14, 11:39 PM
Yeah, because he'll make a great sorcerer with 11 Cha. Sacred Exorcist would be better than Eldritch Knight, for that build, anyway.

Obviously, a stat swap would be in order.

Oh, and he needs to chew his food before he swallows it, and tie his shoes before going off to school.

quiet1mi
2008-03-14, 11:58 PM
Here is the build thus far
Lvl 6
Aasimar +2 Cha and Wis (+1 la bought out with UA rules)
Wis 20 Dex 16 Con 14 Cha 11 Str 10 Int 10
(*Wis 20; rolled 16+2racial+2periapt of wisdom)

Paladin 1 Intuitive Strike
Paladin 2
Paladin 3 Serenity
Monk 4 Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist (Decisive Strike variant,ph2?)
Monk 5 Combat Reflexes, Ascectic Knight
Paladin 6 Divine Vigor, Improved Natural attack (Holy Warrior variant, cc)
you forgot the stick up the character's bum

Adonis1x23
2008-03-15, 01:15 AM
The stick is a class feature gained at the same time as detect evil. What did you think the stick was for?

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-15, 03:00 AM
What about ToB Swordsage Monk Variant -2, Cleric -1, Swordsage Monk Variant +3 with BAB averaging and 4 without BAB averaging and applying the UA/D20 SRD PRC Prestige Paladin -3+ (Most of the Paladin bennies in those 3 levels and increasing spellcasting to Cl-3) More Swordsage Monk levels.

Without ToB consider using some Rogue levels and the Ascetic Rogue feat to make Sneak Attack stack with Unarmed Damage.

Maybe a level of Marshal to Motivate Aura Charisma.