PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By RAW) VI [D&D 3.5e & All Other Games]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Roland St. Jude
2008-03-14, 11:31 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).
You may want to skim the last Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66326).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2.As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Yeygresh
2008-03-15, 12:22 AM
Q1. I've heard of a feat that lets you make your own god, with his own portfolio and domains; with the fluff being that it is a 'dead god' that you gain spells from. Does anyone know what book that it is in?

anjimaster
2008-03-15, 01:01 AM
Q.2-If I use polymorph any object to polymorph myself into , for example , one Angel Planetar, which characteristics of my original character I'm keeping?Will I have the creature's special abilities?Feats?
And , I must limit my transformation to creatures with same or lower HD than my caster lvl?

Q.3-The Angel Planetar as described on page 11 of the monster manual attack with 3d6 + 13 , if he only wields a greatsword , why the 3d6 damage?

Thanks in advance =)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 04:50 AM
A. 002

The spell is based on Polymorph for a lot of its effects. You get the following.

It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.

So racial bonus feats you can obtain.

Otherwise you assume most of your own characteristics unrelated to type except for intelligence (assuming you have a wisdom and charisma score).

Skip Williams has made a four part series (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040511a) on Polymorph that provides a nice introduction. A few more cases was covered in an expansion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050510a).

It was revisited (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060502a) after the errata change to many of the abilities that rely on Polymorph.

A. 003

The Planetar is a large creature, so it wields a greatsword sized for large creatures, which deals 3d6 in damage instead of 2d6.
Look to the weapon section of the PHB for more information.

Any follow-up questions are of course also welcome.:smallsmile:

Ossian
2008-03-15, 07:07 AM
Q.004

I am building a bronze dragon NPC. I know they have alternate form and retain mental skills of their dragon form. I wanted her to be a kind of ranger\hunter, proficient in survival, trapmaking, ambushing an so on.
How do I assigne her skills points and which feats can I pick? The dragon form will have her own ones, but what if she is a, say, level 9 ranger in human form? Do the 9 levels in raneger (with skills and feats) stack?

Edit
SURE! So I am going to give class levels to the dragon, with the side effect of enhancing its CR a bit (which is ok, it's a NPC and should not be involved in combat).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 07:54 AM
A. 004 (not 3)

All Alternate Form does is to allow you to take another form, it does not change what you are. The change in physical appearance may limit the use of some of your abilities and might enhance others though.

So for our Dragon to be a Ranger when in human form the dragon also has to be a ranger in dragon form. So you build a Dragon Ranger and pick all the feats based on ranger levels and racial HD etc and these will also be available when the dragon changes into human form.

I hope that cleared it up?

SoD
2008-03-15, 11:36 AM
Q. 005

In the DM's guide, it says that there are four options for BAB progressions of prestige classes, full (fighter), the-quater (as cleric), half (as wizard), or none. Are there any prestige classes that don't up your BAB at all? I've been wracking my brians, but can't think of a single one...

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-15, 11:56 AM
A 005

Off the top of my head, Survivor (Savage Species) and War Hulk (Miniatures Handbook) do not offer any BAB. I may be wrong though, and I'm AFB, so I can't check.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-15, 12:08 PM
Q 006

How many extra uses does the feat 'Extra Smite' give? Thanks!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 12:14 PM
A. 006

Extra Smiting gives 2 extra uses per day.

squishycube
2008-03-15, 01:18 PM
Q007 (Yay, double o seven :smallsmile:)
A grapple question.
What, if anything, happens to any weapons you are holding when you grapple. Do you drop them? Keep them? Do they give any penalties to your grapple check? (Somehow I find it hard to visualise a sword and board in a grapple being effective...)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 01:27 PM
A. James Bond

You keep them with no penalties. There are no disarming effect and no listed penalties, so bu RAW you are just grappling with them unless you want to drop them of course.

The Extinguisher
2008-03-16, 01:00 AM
Q 008

What are the fortituide saves for death by massive damage.

tyckspoon
2008-03-16, 01:47 AM
A. 008

A flat DC 15 any time 50 or more damage is taken from a single attack.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm)

playswithfire
2008-03-16, 11:42 AM
Q 009
Bloodstorm Blade 4 with Improved Trip

I use throw anything and thunderous throw to launch my spiked chain at an opponent to trip him. Thunderous Throw says to treat the ranged attacks as melee attacks attacks but you take penalties for things like range and into melee etc. Improved trip says "If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt." Since lightning ricochet brings the chain back to me as a free action, can I throw it back at the same opponent for that free attack from improved trip (presumably with him getting the +4 prone ac boost against a ranged attack rather than the -4 penalty)

If thunderous throw wouldn't normally allow the trip like that, assume I've got a level of master thrower to do it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-16, 11:54 AM
A. 009

Yes, this also applies to other melee feats and effects that can be used with Thunderous Throw.
You would take the -4 penalty, since the target is prone.

DLoFunk
2008-03-16, 12:09 PM
Q: 010 What book is the spell "Celerity" in?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-16, 12:16 PM
A. 010

PHB II.

playswithfire
2008-03-16, 12:23 PM
A. 009

Yes, this applies to other melee feats and effects that can be used with Thunderous Throw.
You would take the -4 penalty, since the target is prone.

Thanks very much

Rad
2008-03-16, 01:44 PM
Q 11
Can a 1st level favoured soul with the mage slayer feat (or any caster with a negative CL) cast spells at all? If yes, what is her CL?
I'd like a reference, please.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-16, 02:06 PM
A. 011

You can still cast spells, but it would be pointless to cast any spell where the effect requires a positive CL to have any meaningful outcome.
True Strike is a good example of a spell you could still cast and benefit from.
Spells that you would not benefit from could still be used for counterspelling.

In the event that a class feature, domain granted power, or other special ability provides an adjustment to your caster level, that adjustment applies not only to effects based on caster level (such as range, duration, and damage dealt) but also to your caster level check to overcome your target’s spell resistance and to the caster level used in dispel checks (both the dispel check and the DC of the check).

DLoFunk
2008-03-16, 02:56 PM
Q: 012 I know a standard action can be used as an extra move action instead, but can a move action be used as an extra swift action?

bibliophile
2008-03-16, 03:00 PM
Q.12 How can one destroy an antimagic field?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-16, 03:01 PM
A. 012

No, you may only take one per turn.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-16, 03:06 PM
A. 013

Q.12 How can one destroy an antimagic field?

Mordenkainen’s Disjunction has a 1% chance/CL of destroying an Antimagic Field.

Douglas
2008-03-16, 03:53 PM
A13
Iron Heart Surge can also do the trick, provided you are inside the AMF's area.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-16, 04:18 PM
A13
Iron Heart Surge can also do the trick, provided you are inside the AMF's area.

Ahh yes, I guess my sanity filter kicked in and prevented me from remembering that piece of absurdity. :smalltongue:

I will give a weeks supply of popcorn for errata to that maneuver!

VV Unfortunately that is an outcome we have to give a probability higher than zero VV

Chronos
2008-03-16, 05:52 PM
I will give a weeks supply of popcorn for errata to that maneuver!Don't be so hasty... There's always the possibility that errata could make it worse.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-16, 06:34 PM
Q. 014
If you create a character with a race that gives it HD, I know you get those for all the HD purposes, but a lot of things also seem to have a Level Adjustment, so I guess....
What exactly does a "Level Adjustment" do to your character?

Awetugiw
2008-03-16, 07:08 PM
A14. A level adjustment has no effect at all on anything other than your ECL (Effective Character Level), which is your hit dice plus your LA. The ECL determines the rate at which you gain experience.

A character with +2 LA, 2 racial hit dice and 4 class levels will have an ECL of 2+2+4=8, and therefore gain XP as an 8th level "normal" character.

LA doesn't count towards hit dice, so the example I gave, with 6 HD and ECL 8 is immediately killed if it fails a save versus a cloudkill, which wouldn't happen to a level 8 character.

If I recall correctly the moment you turn epic, however, is determined by your ECL, not your HD.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-16, 07:26 PM
A14. A level adjustment has no effect at all on anything other than your ECL (Effective Character Level), which is your hit dice plus your LA. The ECL determines the rate at which you gain experience.

A character with +2 LA, 2 racial hit dice and 4 class levels will have an ECL of 2+2+4=8, and therefore gain XP as an 8th level "normal" character.

LA doesn't count towards hit dice, so the example I gave, with 6 HD and ECL 8 is immediately killed if it fails a save versus a cloudkill, which wouldn't happen to a level 8 character.

If I recall correctly the moment you turn epic, however, is determined by your ECL, not your HD.

It makes a lot more sense now, thank you. However (as much as I hate to throw in a partially opinion question), if I were to follow the loose guideline in which my BBEG is 2 levels ahead of my PCs at any given time, and I gave him a race that gave him a +2 LA, does that mean my BBEG should have the same number of HD as the PCs, or 2 more?

EDIT:
Q. 015
Where in the books is the Flying Template?

Chronos
2008-03-16, 08:27 PM
It makes a lot more sense now, thank you. However (as much as I hate to throw in a partially opinion question), if I were to follow the loose guideline in which my BBEG is 2 levels ahead of my PCs at any given time, and I gave him a race that gave him a +2 LA, does that mean my BBEG should have the same number of HD as the PCs, or 2 more?For a BBEG, you should probably look at Challenge Rating, instead of ECL. Most of the things which give a level adjustment also increase the Challenge Rating, and vice-versa, but not necessarily by the same amount, since some abilities are more useful to enemies, and some are more useful to PCs. As a rough example, a PC would prefer the ability to cast a spell that puts things to sleep at will over the ability to cast a killing spell 1/week, since you can always coup de grace them once they're paralyzed, but the killing 1/week would make for a nastier villain, since you can always just wake your party members up after the battle.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-16, 10:36 PM
For a BBEG, you should probably look at Challenge Rating, instead of ECL. Most of the things which give a level adjustment also increase the Challenge Rating, and vice-versa, but not necessarily by the same amount, since some abilities are more useful to enemies, and some are more useful to PCs. As a rough example, a PC would prefer the ability to cast a spell that puts things to sleep at will over the ability to cast a killing spell 1/week, since you can always coup de grace them once they're paralyzed, but the killing 1/week would make for a nastier villain, since you can always just wake your party members up after the battle.

That one is kind of going to hurt me, since I'm a brand new DM, but thank you for telling me anyway. It sure beats not knowing at all.

FlyMolo
2008-03-16, 11:40 PM
It makes a lot more sense now, thank you. However (as much as I hate to throw in a partially opinion question), if I were to follow the loose guideline in which my BBEG is 2 levels ahead of my PCs at any given time, and I gave him a race that gave him a +2 LA, does that mean my BBEG should have the same number of HD as the PCs, or 2 more?

EDIT:
Q. 015
Where in the books is the Flying Template?

A15

I'm not sure that there is one. There's a Winged template, from Savage Species. dex and wis bonuses, wings, a flight speed based on dexterity. It's nice, I used it myself.

Hal
2008-03-16, 11:53 PM
Q016

How does the spell "Shivering Touch" work? The text says it does 3d6 Dex damage, but has a duration of 1 round/lvl. Is that the time you have to hold the charge after casting, or does it do that much Dex damage each round?

Q017

When a creature has a negative Dex modifier, does it take a negative penalty to AC?

Ramza00
2008-03-16, 11:54 PM
Q16

How does the monster of legend template (MM2) work with monsters who already have cleric spellcasting (such as the androsphinx from MM1)

Spells: The monster of legend casts divine spells from the cleric list and from the Protection, Strength, and War domains as a 5th-level cleric (save DC 10 + spell level + the monster of legend’s Wisdom modifier). It does not gain extra domain spell slots for these domains as a cleric would.

Spells
An androsphinx casts divine spells as a 6th-level cleric from the cleric spell list and from the Good, Healing, and Protection domains.

FlyMolo
2008-03-17, 12:20 AM
A17

Creatures with negative modifiers to dex take that negative modifier to AC. 8 dex->-1mod->-1AC.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-17, 02:34 AM
A13
Iron Heart Surge can also do the trick, provided you are inside the AMF's area. A scrupulous reading of the text provides an alternate interpretation which moderates the power of this maneuver. An Iron Heart Surge will immediately end "one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds." As this stipulation of the effect's persistence is distinct from "1 round or longer", the Surge strictly speaking is effective only against impediments with a duration listed in rounds.

Antimagic Field

Duration: 10 min./level (D) With proper attention to the circumspect phrasing :smallamused: used for Iron Heart Surge, you'll see the maneuver has no impact on an Antimagic Field.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-17, 03:01 AM
Q016

How does the spell "Shivering Touch" work? The text says it does 3d6 Dex damage, but has a duration of 1 round/lvl. Is that the time you have to hold the charge after casting, or does it do that much Dex damage each round? A 016 Neither.

The ability damage of Shivering Touch is temporary, and expires at the end of the spell. The text of Shivering Touch, Lesser explains:
Your successful melee touch attack delivers a bitter chill to the target, causing it to shiver uncontrollably for the duration of the spell. Shivering characters take 1d6 points of Dexterity damage. The Dexterity damage is a consequence of the cold. When the cold effect ends, the ability damage ends as well. Lesser S.T. does 1d6; S.T. does 3d6; otherwise the spells are mechanically identical. The "fluff" text inserts numbness as a more extreme response to cold than shivering, but you shouldn't let that distract you from the fact that Lesser Shivering Touch is the base spell here.

Shivering Touch is similar to Touch of Fatigue, except the latter spell has this clearer statement:
Unlike with normal fatigue, the effect ends as soon as the spell’s duration expires.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-17, 03:41 AM
A. 016

Q016

How does the spell "Shivering Touch" work? The text says it does 3d6 Dex damage, but has a duration of 1 round/lvl. Is that the time you have to hold the charge after casting, or does it do that much Dex damage each round?

No you do not take damage over time, the damage lasts for the duration of the spell and if you look to the lesser version you can see that it because you are shivering/feeling numb for the duration. :smallwink:

A. 018

Q16

How does the monster of legend template (MM2) work with monsters who already have cleric spellcasting (such as the androsphinx from MM1)

Spellcasting generally "stacks", do there is no reason why it should not in this case also.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-17, 03:46 AM
A scrupulous reading of the text provides an alternate interpretation which moderates the power of this maneuver.

With proper attention to the circumspect phrasing :smallamused: used for Iron Heart Surge, you'll see the maneuver has no impact on an Antimagic Field.

That reading removes a little of the stupidity involved, thank you.

You do deserve some popcorn!

loopy
2008-03-17, 07:39 AM
Q. 19

Which book is the Craven feat found in?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-17, 07:59 AM
A. 019

Champions of Ruin.

Douglas
2008-03-17, 10:46 AM
A scrupulous reading of the text provides an alternate interpretation which moderates the power of this maneuver. An Iron Heart Surge will immediately end "one spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds." As this stipulation of the effect's persistence is distinct from "1 round or longer", the Surge strictly speaking is effective only against impediments with a duration listed in rounds.
With proper attention to the circumspect phrasing :smallamused: used for Iron Heart Surge, you'll see the maneuver has no impact on an Antimagic Field.
Without an explicit statement regarding "measured in" rounds, that doesn't work. An AMF has a duration of 100 rounds per level. A permanent spell has a duration of infinite rounds. An hour/level spell has a duration of 600 rounds per level. A persistent spell has a duration of 14400 rounds. These are all durations of "1 or more rounds", and the fact that the unit normally used for those durations is something else doesn't matter.

Plus, WotC Customer Service has stated that it does work, and their answer has been archived in the Tome of Battle Q&A thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=890611).

Curmudgeon
2008-03-17, 02:45 PM
Without an explicit statement regarding "measured in" rounds, that doesn't work. An AMF has a duration of 100 rounds per level. ... the fact that the unit normally used for those durations is something else doesn't matter.The core rules do include an explicit statement that spells with different duration units are treated differently:
If a continuous item has an effect based on a spell with a duration measured in rounds, multiply the cost by 4. If the duration of the spell is 1 minute/level, multiply the cost by 2, and if the duration is 10 minutes/level, multiply the cost by 1.5. If the spell has a 24-hour duration or greater, divide the cost in half. If an Antimagic Field actually did have a duration of 100 rounds per level the cost to make an item with a continuous effect based on this spell would be higher by a factor of 2.67. But you are incorrect; the spell has a duration of 10 min./level, and this different unit of measurement makes a difference in the game mechanics.
Plus, WotC Customer Service has stated that it does work While that may be interesting in other contexts, it doesn't have much standing in this forum. Here we're interested in the Rules As Written. A Customer Service opinion doesn't change the text of the rules, and my analysis of Iron Heart Surge is based that text.

Douglas
2008-03-17, 07:45 PM
Yes, but note the words "measured in" in the paragraph you quoted. Those words, plus the listing of specific durations, are what make the conversion of 10 minutes/level to 100 rounds/level invalid for that particular purpose. Those words are not present in Iron Heart Surge.

Idea Man
2008-03-17, 09:58 PM
Q. 20: In what order would these spells take effect against a enervation spell (as an example): spell turning, spell resistance, globe of invulnerability?

RTGoodman
2008-03-17, 10:37 PM
Q. 21

What is the size penalty to Hide checks for a Huge creature, and where would I find this information? I feel like it's -12 (since Small creatures have a +4), but I can't seem to find proof that I'm right or wrong.

Q. 22

In what situations do creatures do add one-and-a-half times their Str bonus to damage with natural attacks? When do they use one-half their Str bonus?

Gralamin
2008-03-17, 10:42 PM
A 21
According to Hide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/hide.htm) the penalty is -8

A 22 - Partial?
According to Special abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm), none of the most common Natural weapon has one and half times strength by default. Instead it must be an inherit part of the creatures attacks, making it a case-by-case basis.

Douglas
2008-03-17, 10:45 PM
A20
Spell Turning would do nothing. Spell Turning does not apply to effect spells and Enervation, like all ray spells, has an "Effect: Ray" line.

Globe of Invulnerability would automatically negate it unless it were Heightened.

Spell Resistance would not be checked at all because it is not necessary - the Globe blocks the spell before it hits.

Against a targeted non-effect spell like Slow, for example, the Globe would prevent it from affecting you but does not change the fact that you are targeted by it, so Spell Turning would still be triggered. Spell Resistance would be checked only if both the Globe and Spell Turning were defeated somehow - by a Heightened Slow with a higher level than your remaining levels of turning and a lucky roll for who gets affected, for example.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-18, 02:01 AM
A. 022

Generally speaking, creatures that have a single natural weapon add 1.5 times their STR bonus to damage.

Creatures with multiple natural weapons have their primary weapon deal normal STR bonus to damage while all secondary weapons deal 0.5 times their STR bonus to damage.

A creature’s primary attack damage includes its full Strength modifier (1-1/2 times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature’s sole natural weapon) and is given first. Secondary attacks add only 1/2 the creature’s Strength bonus and are given second in the parentheses.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-18, 05:32 AM
Q 23

Does a PrC'd sorceror continue to be able to swap out spells every even level, or not? It seems to me that they should, since it is part of the spells section, as opposed to a seperate class feature.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-18, 05:36 AM
A. 023

As you say it is not a seperate feature, but part of their spells known mechanic, so yes.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-18, 05:40 AM
Q 24

So what happens if I take say, Arcane Sight at 7th level sorceror, and then go into Loremaster at 8th level. Can I swap out the Arcane Sight for something not divination at that point? (without taking a 4th level divination)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-18, 05:50 AM
A. 024

Yes, but only if you still meet the prerequisites for Loremaster, that is know another 3rd level divination spell and 6 others.

Spells: Able to cast seven different divination spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher.

Failing to meet the prerequisites at any time means that you lose the class features, so that is best avoided.

playswithfire
2008-03-18, 10:30 AM
Q 25

At what point during an opponent's charge are you able to use the Counter Charge maneuver from Tome of Battle? Do you do so when he starts the charge, as soon as you threaten him, or once he's adjacent to you?

Reason for the question, may or may not be relevant:

A perhaps unlikely situation, but I'm wondering if this works. Let's say I'm a Swordsage X/Crusader Y/Master of Nine 4

I know the stances Press the Advantage and, though it may not be relevant, Thicket of Blades, I have the Counter Charge maneuver readied and I have the feat Evasive Reflexes. I'm wielding a spiked chain.
An opponent wins initiative charges me when I am in no stance, I initiate Counter Charge allowing me to use the Counter Stance ability of the Master of Nine to assume both Thicket of Blades and Press the Advantage thanks to the Master of Nine's dual stance ability. His charge up to me will provoke an attack of opportunity thanks to my spiked chain. Can I, win or lose the Counter Charge opposed roll, take my attack of opportunity to take a 5 ft step, which becomes a 10 ft step to get out of his way?

I know I can do this without even using the counter if I'm in Press the Advantage before he charges, but I'm wondering if I can do it this way too

SamTheCleric
2008-03-18, 12:35 PM
Q. 026 - I fail at counting.

Can you stack the benefits of Mithral, Githcraft and the Twilight property?

For Instance a Breastplate has 25% ASF. Mithral lowers that to 15%. Githcraft would reduce it to 10% and twilight would then lower it to 0%, correct?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-18, 12:36 PM
A. 025

You use the maneuver just before the creature attacks you, so the creature would have to be threatening you (essentially having finished the movement involved in a normal charge and being ready to resolve the attack roll).

Any attacks of opportunity from you would thus have to be resolved before using the maneuver.

If said AoO results in a situation where the creature no longer meets the requirements for charging you the creature cannot make the attack and you cannot use the maneuver.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-18, 12:42 PM
A. 026

Q. 027

Can you stack the benefits of Mithral, Githcraft and the Twilight property?

For Instance a Breastplate has 25% ASF. Mithral lowers that to 15%. Githcraft would reduce it to 10% and twilight would then lower it to 0%, correct?

Yes, armor templates, special materials and special magical abilities can usually be combined without problems.

Any exceptions are noted in their respective descriptions.

tyrion
2008-03-18, 01:16 PM
q28
I'm fairly sure there's a feat that allows you to combine two spell slots to power a higher level spell, could someone point me at the book/srd entry for it please?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-18, 02:17 PM
A. 028

Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon works for spontaneous casters.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-18, 09:19 PM
Q 029 Can I use a readied action and the spell Wall of Force to block various forms of enemy attack? A 029 Certainly.

You can ready a standard action, and casting Wall of Force takes 1 standard action.

Q 030. Is there anything that could be used to provide a familiar that doubles as a mount? A 030

Many improved familiars are size small and can be used as mounts if your character is tiny or smaller, either as a standard size for the race or through magical size reduction.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-18, 09:35 PM
A. 024

Yes, but only if you still meet the prerequisites for Loremaster, that is know another 3rd level divination spell and 6 others.

Failing to meet the prerequisites at any time means that you lose the class features, so that is best avoided. Please note that such class ability loss can occur only if your DM gives broad scope to a rule on page 16 of Complete Warrior (and similar text in Complete Arcane). While you must certainly meet the requirements to become a Loremaster (a core PrC), there is no requirement that you continue to meet the entry requirements in the core rules.
Loremaster

Requirements: To qualify to become a loremaster, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Spells: Able to cast seven different divination spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher. Broad application of the CW page 16 rule is problematic because it creates intrinsic conflicts with prestige classes in diverse books, including the core Dragon Disciple PrC. (At 10th level a Dragon Disciple automatically fails to meet the entry requirements for the class.)

Curmudgeon
2008-03-18, 09:58 PM
Yes, but note the words "measured in" in the paragraph you quoted. Those words are not present in Iron Heart Surge. That specific wording isn't required; "with a duration of 1 or more rounds" is sufficient. This stipulation of the effect's persistence is distinctly different in meaning from "1 round or longer" or "lasting at least 1 round", either of which would establish a minimum time extent. But instead the exact phrasing used for Iron Heart Surge ("with a duration of ... rounds") requires that the duration of any counterable effect be specified in rounds.

I direct your attention to Warriner's English Grammar and Composition (http://www.amazon.com/English-Composition-Grammar-Complete-Course/dp/0153117362/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205894906&sr=1-1) for further examination of how composition choices can establish scope as well meaning. (Start with "Prepositional Phrases".)

For any further discussion on this topic, please start a separate thread on Iron Heart Surge.

DLoFunk
2008-03-18, 10:42 PM
Q: 031 If I cast a spell with Repeat Spell and another Metamagic is the Repeated spell affected by the other MM?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-18, 11:30 PM
Q: 031 If I cast a spell with Repeat Spell and another Metamagic is the Repeated spell affected by the other MM? A 031 Normally yes.

If you prepare the spell with two metamagic feats the result will have two boosts in spell level, and you've "paid" for the repeated spell to have the effect of the other metamagic feat. Similarly for spontaneous spellcasters you've used up a twice-higher level spell slot, and again you've pre-paid the price.

Some metamagic effects won't have any impact when combined with Repeat Spell -- Silent Spell, Still Spell, and Quicken Spell, for instance. (There are no components required for the second casting, so you don't lose the benefits of Silent/Still effects; they're just not relevant.) You get no faster casting of the second spell with Quicken Spell and Repeat Spell (because Repeat Spell overrides the normal timing), so the answer in this case is no.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-19, 02:50 AM
Broad application of the CW page 16 rule is problematic because it creates intrinsic conflicts with prestige classes in diverse books, including the core Dragon Disciple PrC. (At 10th level a Dragon Disciple automatically fails to meet the entry requirements for the class.)

Problematic or not, it does not change the fact that those are the rules.

If certain features of a prestige class creates existential difficulties with meeting this requirement a reasonable approach would be to assume that this is an exception to the general rule rather than not using the prestige class.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-19, 09:01 AM
Problematic or not, it does not change the fact that those are the rules. The plural is important here, because the page 16 Complete Warrior rule is slightly different from the rule on page 17 of Complete Arcane. The Complete Arcane rule only has you lose the benefits of PrC special abilities; the CW rule also has you lose the benefits of other class features. So which rule is the rule here?

If certain features of a prestige class creates existential difficulties with meeting this requirement a reasonable approach would be to assume that this is an exception to the general rule rather than not using the prestige class. Yes, this is a reasonable approach, but I don't know of any actual RAW justification for it. And I certainly don't consider making Ur-Priests, Dragon Disciples, and similar PrCs invalid; that's rather silly because it makes a lot of WotC published content so much wasted paper and ink. But the rules in these two books, while slightly different, do have a couple of important characteristics in common:
Neither makes any mention of PrCs that would need exceptions made. (This is important because the DMG includes a prestige class that requires an exception, and, by the official WotC errata rule, the DMG is the primary source for rules about prestige classes.)
The prestige classes in these two books don't require any exceptions to "Meeting Class Requirements" rules.
My answer to the page 16 rule takes these characteristics into account: The scope of these rules in Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane is limited to the prestige classes in those two books.

Another way to address the rules conflict is to simply state that, as the DMG is the primary source for PrC rules, these rules which conflict with the DMG's Dragon Disciple PrC are invalid. That's the most straightforward RAW answer, and it does "change the fact that those are the rules".

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-19, 10:12 AM
A. 024 Continued

The plural is important here, because the page 16 Complete Warrior rule is slightly different from the rule on page 17 of Complete Arcane. The Complete Arcane rule only has you lose the benefits of PrC special abilities; the CW rule also has you lose the benefits of other class features. So which rule is the rule here?

I wonder if even WotC knows that for sure. However, that is a(nother) minor discrepancy.

Yes, this is a reasonable approach, but I don't know of any actual RAW justification for it. And I certainly don't consider making Ur-Priests, Dragon Disciples, and similar PrCs invalid; that's rather silly because it makes a lot of WotC published content so much wasted paper and ink.

The alternative is rather grim, wasting paper and ink is not something I generally approve of, but I guess one could argue that the artwork in itself might have value?
But I digress...

But the rules in these two books, while slightly different, do have a couple of important characteristics in common:
Neither makes any mention of PrCs that would need exceptions made. (This is important because the DMG includes a prestige class that requires an exception, and, by the official WotC errata rule, the DMG is the primary source for rules about prestige classes.)
The prestige classes in these two books don't require any exceptions to "Meeting Class Requirements" rules.
My answer to the page 16 rule takes these characteristics into account: The scope of these rules in Complete Warrior and Complete Arcane is limited to the prestige classes in those two books.

That is of course also a possibility, but neither book places a restriction of the scope and having specific rules regarding requirements for each book separately without a casual note seems like a stretch.

Another way to address the rules conflict is to simply state that, as the DMG is the primary source for PrC rules, these rules which conflict with the DMG's Dragon Disciple PrC are invalid. That's the most straightforward RAW answer, and it does "change the fact that those are the rules".

There is no primary/secondary source rules conflict here. Supplemental rule books can add new rules as long as they do not conflict with the primary rules or if they point out that the new rules change the old ones.
The Dragon Disciple is in conflict with the new general rules and thus the most reasonable thing is to assume that the new general rules forgot to make these specific exceptions rather than assuming that the new rules are intended to make an entire progression illegal or unplayable.
Assuming that the rules do not apply because of a few errors is like throwing out the popcorn with the container they came in.

EDIT:
It is obviously another area that should have been covered by errata or the FAQ.
25 questions and we already have two things that need WotC attention. :smallamused:

DLoFunk
2008-03-19, 06:48 PM
Q 032: If I cast a spell with Repeat Spell and another Metamagic is the Repeated spell affected by the other MM?

Ex.I cast a Repeated Maximized Fireball. Is the second Fireball Maximized or normal?

drengnikrafe
2008-03-19, 07:35 PM
Q. 033
Is there a weapon with a cost of less then 10,000 GP that deals only subdual damage, but does more of it then a +1 Merciful {Weapon}?

RTGoodman
2008-03-19, 09:02 PM
A. 033 Partial

A sap (blackjack) deals 1d6 + Str nonlethal damage, for the low, low price of 1 gold. There's probably a way to do extra damage with it for less than 9,999gp. You could even add Merciful to it (for a +1 merciful sap) for 8301gp, which would deal 2d6 + Str nonlethal damage.

drengnikrafe
2008-03-19, 09:08 PM
A. 033 Partial

A sap (blackjack) deals 1d6 + Str nonlethal damage, for the low, low price of 1 gold. There's probably a way to do extra damage with it for less than 9,999gp. You could even add Merciful to it (for a +1 merciful sap) for 8301gp, which would deal 2d6 + Str nonlethal damage.

Wait a minute.... Of course!
If I were to get said sap, and made it the +1 Vicious (I think that's the one that deals an extra 2d6, with self damage 1d6) sap, would that make it 3d6 + Str Subdual, or would the damage from the Vicious Damage be normal?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-20, 01:43 AM
Q 032: If I cast a spell with Repeat Spell and another Metamagic is the Repeated spell affected by the other MM?

Ex.I cast a Repeated Maximized Fireball. Is the second Fireball Maximized or normal? A 032 As I answered in A 031, yes.

In this particular example, a Fireball subject to both Maximize Spell and Repeat Spell (a 9th level spell) would be Maximized both times it went off, dealing 60 points of fire damage (at CL 10+), twice.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-20, 05:38 AM
Q 34

Does the spell "Ray of Enfeeblement" provide a reduced modifier, or damage stats? That is, if the spell does 1d6+1, and I roll a 1, does that mean my target goes from 18 to 16 strength for the duration, or that his +4 becomes a +2?

gareth
2008-03-20, 05:44 AM
Q035
When using the "Magnificent Mansion" spell I want the mansion to have windows with a view. Not out into the pocket dimension, but rather into an imaginary landscape to make the place look less claustrophobic. Is this:
1) A purely cosmetic effect available for free with the original spell.
2) A permanent Silent Image with the associated costs, or
3) Impossible?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-20, 05:52 AM
A. 034

It is actually neither. The spell provides a penalty to the ability score for the duration.

So in your example it would be a reduction from 18 to 16 for the duration of the spell.

The reason it is important to distinguish between damage and penalties is that penalties from the same source do not stack, they overlap.

That means that if you were to cast another RoE at the target the result would overlap, that is you would use the highest roll value you use the better.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-20, 05:58 AM
A. 035

You could probably create garden within the area of the spell, but the effect you are describing is not directly covered by the spell description.

Allowing it would be up to the DM.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-03-20, 09:13 AM
Q036.

Is there a rule that handles multiple simultaneous coup de graces at once? For example: Mage casts sleep on an ogre. Mage and rogue move next to the ogre. Next round, mage and rogue both state that they will coup de grace at the same time (delaying their actions as necessary to sync up).

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-20, 09:32 AM
Q037

Yo. What are the racial traits of strongheart halflings?

Q038

KA-SCRUBBED!
Thank you!

Zen Master
2008-03-20, 09:41 AM
Q. 39

When creating a warforged artificer, how much armor can you screw on without incurring arcane spell failure chance?

Adamantite body gives 35%, mithral body gives gives 15% - but I assume that's for mages. How much would apply to an artificer (they get no penalties from medium armor, as I read the rules).

Chineselegolas
2008-03-20, 10:08 AM
Q. 40: A Githzerai's Inertial Armour ability (pg 129 MM). Does this affect his touch AC as it is a psychic force effect?

RTGoodman
2008-03-20, 10:12 AM
A. 036

In D&D, there's no real way for two people to ever do things simultaneously. If you ready an action, your readied action goes off before whatever triggered it; if you delay, you just move yourself down in initiative until you're ready to go.

Either way, I don't think two people using coup de grace against one foe would do anything special. They'd each do it, and he'd still have to save against each character's damage separately.

A. 037

As far as I can tell, Strongheart Halflings (from FR) are not covered by OGL and therefore the stats can't be directly posted. However, I believe information on them can be found in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, though searchers may be able to find information posted elsewhere (legitimately or not).

TheElfLord
2008-03-20, 11:05 AM
Q 41

Are there any spells that mask/remove a person's scent so they are harder to track?

Chronos
2008-03-20, 11:51 AM
A 41 partial: Many creatures with the Scent ability are animals, and the spell Hide from Animals makes the subject completely undetectable to animals (including by scent). This won't help versus wargs or other non-animal sniffers, though.

Pass without Trace makes the subjects completely untrackable by mundane means, including scent, but does nothing versus other uses of the Scent ability.

Both of these spells are from the Player's Handbook, and are first level for Rangers and Druids.

There are also a few feats and other abilities from other books which will help, most notably the Darkstalker feat, which allows you to make Hide checks to defeat scent, blindsight, and other senses (besides hearing and sight).

Ogh_the_Second
2008-03-20, 12:04 PM
A 41

Remove Scent - Spell Compendium, p. 173. Bard 1 / Druid 1 / Ranger 1 / Sor/Wiz 1.

Nazde Bahatur
2008-03-20, 02:07 PM
Q. 42 I think there's a feat which lets you use full attack when you charge. Does it exist, or am I hallucinating once more?
Could you tell me its name and in what book i could find it?

RTGoodman
2008-03-20, 02:13 PM
A. 42*

The Dire Charge (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicFeats.html#dire-charge) feat does this (for your first attack of an encounter), but it's Epic. The standard (and often considered cheesy) way to get a full attack on a charge is to take a level of Barbarian and use the Spirit Lion Totem class variant from Complete Champion.

*Q. What do you get when you multiply six by nine?

Demons_eye
2008-03-20, 05:24 PM
Q:43

Ok a fighter of the 8th level can get 9 feats right? (1 from the start 2 from normal leveling 5 from fighter feats and and 1 from human).
And lest say his Str is 20 (18 plus 2 every 4 levels) and has 17 dex

If he has got Improved unarmed strike, Two weapon fighting (defense and improved), weapon focus, spec. & greater focus. Power Attack and lastly Cleave.

If he Also has the monks belt magical item and Orger str guntlents +2

NOW if that is all right (not 100% shure) How many attacks dose he get? and whats his unarmed Damge?

Two weapon fighting dose allow you to use unarmed as weapon.... need other answer plz also what is he had ammulet of powerful fist?

Chronos
2008-03-20, 07:06 PM
A43: You need Greater Weapon Focus to take Greater Weapon Specialization, and Two-Weapon Fighting only helps you if you're wielding two weapons (two fists doesn't count, since "Unarmed Strike" is considered a single weapon). Assuming that he's wielding a couple of weapons, he'll get four attacks per round, two with each. He will not make unarmed strikes in addition to this, unless you take some other feat that allows that. The attack bonus with these two weapons will depend on the size of the weapons and whether they're what he has Weapon Focus in.

His unarmed damage will be the same as a 5th level monk, as per the Monk's Belt, since he has no levels of Monk, which means 1d8 base. He'll add his Strength bonus of +6 (from 22 strength) to this, and another +4 if his Weapon Specialization is in Unarmed Strike. He'll be able to make this attack twice per round (if he doesn't use his weapons instead), since the Monk's Belt does not grant the monk's Flurry of Blows ability.

His Unarmed Strikes will benefit from Power Attack, if he uses it, but weapon attacks will only benefit if they're One-Handed (not Light). Unfortunately, using non-light weapons for Two-Weapon Fighting will increase the penalty you take.

Q44: Do Factotum, Chameleon, and Warlock count as "arcane spellcaster classes" for purposes of the Master Spellthief (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Master_Spellthief,) feat?

Rad
2008-03-20, 07:07 PM
A 36
The WBL table is not relased under OGL, so one could not post such a pattern here (like you did for XP: forum rules would say you have to remove that). However I can safely reply to your question since the answer is negative: no, there is no hard pattern: it looks like they picked some values (maybe through playtesting) and then interpolated it, so the rule changes every few levels.
The XP for challenge rating table is a mess too, but WBL is worse. :smallsigh:

Nazde Bahatur
2008-03-20, 09:35 PM
Q. 45

Q 009
Bloodstorm Blade 4 with Improved Trip

Bloodstorm Blade? Is that a class or a prestige class?
In what book is it?

Oh, and nobody seems to have ansxered Q.01.

Zain_Thorngallow
2008-03-20, 09:41 PM
Q46: Dancing Weapons

I understand that the Dancing enchantment on a weapon operates as follows:

- Activating the Dancing weapon is a standard action, whereupon it occupies your space, auto-attacking enemies at your direction as if you yourself were wielding it, which means your strength, base attack, and other modifiers apply to the to-hit and damage. Possibly this also means personal enhancements such as Bard Song or Haste as well.

- The activation lasts 4 rounds, upon which you must grab the weapon with a free hand or have it drop to the ground. The following round, you can send it dancing again with another standard action.

- The effective progression, then, can be as follows:
Round 0: Wielder has the dancing weapon in one hand, an alternate in the other.

Round 1: Wielder uses a standard action, starts the dancing. Transfers the alternate weapon to two-handed wielding as a free action if desired. Has a move action to spare.

Round 2, 3, 4: Dancing weapon full-attacks if an enemy is in range (So, possibly 4 attacks if at a base-attack over +16). Wielder full-attacks with alternate weapon. Presumably, if the wielder has to charge (or otherwise only make a single attack) the dancing weapon does likewise.

End of round 4: Free action spent to transfer alternate weapon to one hand, another free action spent to grab the dancing weapon.

Round 5: Repeat round 1.

Such seems to be what the D20SRD description details, and how some of the monster manual creatures with dancing weapons (such as the Solar) are described.

Is this a correct interpretation? My DM is understandably perturbed that, +4 enchantment or not, it allows a character to near-double their attack output.

Can you fine wise individuals share any insight as to whether the above interpretation is indeed correct?

Thanks muchly!

RTGoodman
2008-03-20, 09:53 PM
A. 045

Bloodstorm Blade is a prestige class from Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords (often abbreviated ToB).

And speaking of...

Q. 047

Do maneuvers count as their own requirements for knowing a certain number of maneuvers from a specific discipline? For instance, say I'm a 17th level Warblade with 4 Diamond Mind maneuvers and I use my new maneuver known to learn Time Stands Still. At 18th level, can I replace one of my lower-level Diamond Mind maneuvers and still keep Time Stands Still (since I have 4 Diamond Mind maneuvers - 3 lower level ones and TSS itself)?

Chronos
2008-03-20, 09:55 PM
A45: Bloodstorm Blade is a prestige class from Tome of Battle, built around throwing melee weapons. The logical entry is through Warblade levels, since it requires Iron Heart abilities.

A1 partial: I think the feat is called "Servant of the Fallen", but I can't find it listed on dandello. It's widely regarded as sub-par, though, since you can get the exact same mechanical effect (custom choice of domains and alignment) without the feat, by being a cleric of a cause instead of a deity.

Alleine
2008-03-21, 12:33 AM
Q 48

Does the Fleshwarper PrC have a limit to the number of grafts they can have? Magic of Eberron states that a character cannot have more than 5...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-21, 03:31 AM
A. 039

Q. 39

When creating a warforged artificer, how much armor can you screw on without incurring arcane spell failure chance?

Adamantite body gives 35%, mithral body gives gives 15% - but I assume that's for mages. How much would apply to an artificer (they get no penalties from medium armor, as I read the rules).

The Artficer does not incur any spell failure from artificer scrolls, but if the Artificer was trying to use an arcane scroll he/she would incur the 35 % spell failure as normal.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-21, 03:32 AM
A. 040

Q. 40: A Githzerai's Inertial Armour ability (pg 129 MM). Does this affect his touch AC as it is a psychic force effect?

No, it does not apply to touch AC.

Rad
2008-03-21, 04:50 AM
A 46
It is accepted that, while not in line with all the other rules concerning prerequisites, you only ned the prerequisites to learn a maneuver but can later trade them off.

A 47
A dancing weapon uses only your BAB; it does not make use of Strength or any other bonus you may (and will, at those levels) have except her own enhancement bonus.
Moreover, according to the description, once you retrieve it you cannot make it dance again for 4 full rounds.

On a non-RAW side, remember that at high levels a big part of your "to hit" bonus and, most important, damage, will come from miscellaneous sources. From the moment you begin the dancing, the dancing weapon only has BAB. Compare your +1 dancing longsword (1d8+1 damage) with the +1 holy flaming spell storing longsword you are actually wielding (1d8+3d6+1+Str+spell) Then add all the buffs you got, flanking, power attach etc. You'll find out that it is not really as effective as you are and that your standard action in the first round is usually very valuable, making that a much more even trade that it seems.

Awetugiw
2008-03-21, 12:18 PM
Q49. Does the archmage Arcane Reach ability change the range of a spell to something other than touch? In particular, can Chain Spell be used on an arcane reach touch spell? And Spell Opportunity?

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-21, 04:10 PM
Q40Say I'm playing a Aasimar and wanted to use the LA-buyoff rules. I would be paying 3000 xp to buy off the level, right?

Uncle Festy
2008-03-21, 04:22 PM
Q41: Can a Factotum use multiple Inspiration Points with his Cunning Strike ability to get multiple Sneak Attack dice with Cunning Strike?

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-21, 10:56 PM
Q50: A warforged paladin has set its Detect Evil sensors on "active scanning" and suddenly comes upon an emanation of extreme overwhelming Evil. Like what? Oh... how about a friggn' Daelkyr escaping the seals of Khyber!

Ahem.

So the question is... is that warforged paladin still subject to the "stunned by overwhelming evil aura" clause as per SRD's description of Detect Evil?

Chronos
2008-03-22, 12:09 AM
By the way, not to nag, but my question 44 is still open:

Q44: Do Factotum, Chameleon, and Warlock count as "arcane spellcaster classes" for purposes of the Master Spellthief feat?

drengnikrafe
2008-03-22, 06:00 AM
Q. 051
(First of all, sorry for asking so many questions in this thing. I'm doing my first campaign, and there's a lot to learn so I don't accidentally kill off my PCs, or make it a Monty Haul...)
What is the CR adjustment for a level 10+ Fiendish Template?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 08:04 AM
A. 053 (^ NOT 51 ^)

An NPC with 10 levels in a PC class has 10 HD and the Fiendish template adds +2 to CR for creatures with more than 8 HD.

HD 8 or more, as base creature +2

Assuming that the base race is something without racial HD or LA the CR would be 12 (10 (PC class levels) + 2 (template adjustment))

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 08:09 AM
A. 049

Q49. Does the archmage Arcane Reach ability change the range of a spell to something other than touch? In particular, can Chain Spell be used on an arcane reach touch spell? And Spell Opportunity?

No, technically the range of the spellis not changed with Arcane Reach.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 08:15 AM
A. 050 (NOT 40)

Q40Say I'm playing a Aasimar and wanted to use the LA-buyoff rules. I would be paying 3000 xp to buy off the level, right?

Correct.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 08:24 AM
A. 048

Q 48

Does the Fleshwarper PrC have a limit to the number of grafts they can have? Magic of Eberron states that a character cannot have more than 5...

LoM was printed before the restriction was introduced, so the PrC makes no mention of it.

In an Eberron game the restriction would still be in play, but if you are playing in a game without Eberron material it is natural not to include it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 08:28 AM
A. 052 (NOT 50)

Q50: A warforged paladin has set its Detect Evil sensors on "active scanning" and suddenly comes upon an emanation of extreme overwhelming Evil. Like what? Oh... how about a friggn' Daelkyr escaping the seals of Khyber!

Ahem.

So the question is... is that warforged paladin still subject to the "stunned by overwhelming evil aura" clause as per SRD's description of Detect Evil?

Warforged are still subject to stunning unlike other constructs.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 08:31 AM
A. 051 (NOT 41)

Q41: Can a Factotum use multiple Inspiration Points with his Cunning Strike ability to get multiple Sneak Attack dice with Cunning Strike?

Yes.

AslanCross
2008-03-22, 09:18 AM
Q. 52

How many Small creatures can a Large mount carry? Is this just tied to carrying capacity or is there a limit to how many, regardless of weight?

Rad
2008-03-22, 09:38 AM
Q 55 (^ this was 54 ^)

When a Hell Hound performs a coup de grace, does the extra fire damage get added to the Fort save DC? In other words, are they considered part of the "hit" or merely an additional effect?

What if the coup de grace is performed by some other similar mean, such as a flaming weapon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 09:44 AM
A. 54 (NOT 52)

Q. 52

How many Small creatures can a Large mount carry? Is this just tied to carrying capacity or is there a limit to how many, regardless of weight?

I do not recall any explicit rules for sharing a mount.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 09:45 AM
A. 055

Q 55 (^ this was 54 ^)

When a Hell Hound performs a coup de grace, does the extra fire damage get added to the Fort save DC? In other words, are they considered part of the "hit" or merely an additional effect?

What if the coup de grace is performed by some other similar mean, such as a flaming weapon?

Yes, such effects would be part of the CdG attack.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 09:49 AM
A. 044

By the way, not to nag, but my question 44 is still open:

Sorry.

At least for the purpose of benefiting from the feat all classes that are treated like arcane casters or whose spellcasting is can probably benefit, including the three classes you mention.

TheElfLord
2008-03-22, 04:22 PM
Q. 56

If someone with cleave attacks someone with mirror image and hits an image, it will dissipates. Does this count as "dropping" the image for the purposes of cleave?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-22, 05:06 PM
A. 056

Yes, the images are treated as foes for this purpose.

Are the multiple figments from a mirror image spell
legal targets for cleaving? That is, if you have the Cleave
feat and you hit an image and destroy it, can you then
attack another target within reach (such as another figment
from the spell or perhaps the spell user)? What about
Whirlwind Attack? Can you use this feat to attack all the
images around the spell user? What about spells that allow
multiple targets, such as magic missile? Can you aim magic
missiles at different images?

For all intents and purposes, the figments from a foe’s
mirror image spell are your foes. You aim your spells and your
attacks at the figments just as though they were real creatures.
Any spell you can aim at a creature you can aim at an image.
When you use a spell that allows you to select multiple
creatures as targets, such as magic missile, you can choose
multiple images as targets.
If you have the Cleave or Great Cleave feat, destroying an
image with a melee attack triggers the feat (and your cleaving
attack might well strike the spell user instead of another
image). Likewise, you can use Whirlwind Attack to strike at
any image you can reach. A Whirlwind Attack almost certainly
will allow you to strike once at the spell user.

Nazde Bahatur
2008-03-22, 07:00 PM
Q.58
I want to create a caracter who fights with his claws.
Can you summarize the classes that improve, or at least have something to do with claws/natural attacks?
Oh, and any useful feats that you know, apart from 'Improved Natural Attack'.
I already know of Psychic Warrior and his useful array of powers.
What else is there? Is it that hard to make a melee character fighting with his claws? Only two attacks, 1d4 base dmg and no special classes or other options?
Please, help me out!

Chronos
2008-03-22, 07:19 PM
Whoa, so Great Cleave is actually useful for something? Who'da thunk?

A 58 partial: The Dragon Disciple also gets claws. But it's probably not worth it, since it requires at least one level in a spellcasting class, and Dragon Disciple levels themselves don't give you much.

And continuing with the Chameleon questions:

Q 59:
A Chameleon using Arcane Focus can pick spells from any arcane class, but has to prepare them out of a spellbook. If the spells aren't on the Sor/Wiz list, how do they get into the spellbook? The best I can think of is for the Chameleon to use the floating bonus feat for the Extra Spell feat, and then transcribe it into a book, but that seems clunky, and I'm not sure if it works (it certainly doesn't at the first level of the class).

Q 60:
A seventh-level Chameleon can choose two focuses at once. If she chooses Arcane and Divine, does she get two sets of spell slots, or do the two focuses have to share one set of slots? I.e., could she prepare four 1st-level arcane spells and four 1st-level divine spells, or is she limited to four 1st-level spells total?

Q 61:
When a seventh-level Chameleon chooses two focuses at once, does she gain the Ability Boon bonus to two ability scores, or to one?

Rad
2008-03-22, 07:52 PM
A 58 partial
Dragon Devotee (Races od the Dragon) is much better than Dragon Disciple. You can also add one level of spellsword or even abyurant champion if you want to emphasize the sorcerer casting it gives you for free.

Bloodclaw master from ToB is also worth mentioning, Tiger Claw maneuvers would come in handy, either via swordsage levels or with martial study.

A 2 level dip in Kensai (CWar) is likely to be useful to put some enchantment on them. there is some +1 equivalent bonus that allows the enchanted weapon to be considered of any material (cold iron, adamantine) that bypasses the target DR and that is usually a big problem for anybody fighting with natural weapons.

EDIT: second time in a row I start the new page! guess I'm posting in this thread more often...

Talic
2008-03-23, 12:29 AM
Q. 62. Are there any LA+0 races that offer a bonus to Charisma?

RTGoodman
2008-03-23, 02:14 AM
A. 62

According to this thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/archive/index.php/t-867938.html), your options are: Star Elves (Unapproachable East), Spellscales (RotD), Hellbred (FCII), and Lesser Aasimar (PGtF), among others.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-23, 04:05 AM
A. 059

Q 59:
A Chameleon using Arcane Focus can pick spells from any arcane class, but has to prepare them out of a spellbook. If the spells aren't on the Sor/Wiz list, how do they get into the spellbook? The best I can think of is for the Chameleon to use the floating bonus feat for the Extra Spell feat, and then transcribe it into a book, but that seems clunky, and I'm not sure if it works (it certainly doesn't at the first level of the class).

They follow the normal rules for adding spells to a spellbook and would have to scribed to the spellbook as per the rules in th PHB, even if it comes from an arcane class that does not normally use a spellbook.

A. 060

Q 60:
A seventh-level Chameleon can choose two focuses at once. If she chooses Arcane and Divine, does she get two sets of spell slots, or do the two focuses have to share one set of slots? I.e., could she prepare four 1st-level arcane spells and four 1st-level divine spells, or is she limited to four 1st-level spells total?

You get both divine and arcane spell slots. Both sets of slots are completely seperate.

A. 061

Q 61:
When a seventh-level Chameleon chooses two focuses at once, does she gain the Ability Boon bonus to two ability scores, or to one?

The requirement is only that you adopt a focus, which you are doing twice at 7th level, so you would also get the bonus to two seperate scores.

SoD
2008-03-23, 05:42 AM
I know that there's one prestige class from complete warrior (Dervish? Maybe...) that focuses on TWF, specifically with scimitars. At one point, they have an ability where it states that they treat scimitars as light weapons for all purposes, including TWF offhand penalties.

Q. 63All purposes. Does this mean that the primary hand (or whatever it's called) only does half str bonus to damage now?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-23, 05:53 AM
A. 063

I know that there's one prestige class from complete warrior (Dervish? Maybe...) that focuses on TWF, specifically with scimitars. At one point, they have an ability where it states that they treat scimitars as light weapons for all purposes, including TWF offhand penalties.

All purposes. Does this mean that the primary hand (or whatever it's called) only does half str bonus to damage now?

Yes, the wording does indeed change how the weapon is treated for all purposes, but this does not change the bonus from strength to your main hand or even your off-hand when TWF. It does however have implications for Power Attack and two-handed use.

SoD
2008-03-23, 11:50 AM
Q. 64 (See? I remembered to number it this time!)

Rainbow Servant (Complete Divine).

On the topic of the Cleric Acess. It says that if the spell doesn't appear on the sorcerer/wizard or the bard spell list, the Rainbow Servant casts the spell as divine. Therefore, presumably, it casts others spells as arcane spells.

If a Wizard takes this PrC, and gets to 10th level, with spells that are on the bard spell list, and the cleric spell list, but not the wizard spell list (e.g. cure light wounds)...does he cast it arcanely or divinely?

squishycube
2008-03-23, 03:45 PM
A064
The relevant rule:

Such spells are cast as divine spells if they don't appear on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists.
If a spell that a rainbow servant learns appears on the sorcerer/wizard or bard spell lists, that spell is cast as an arcane spell. Otherwise, it is cast as a divine spell. What casting classes the rainbow servant belongs to does not matter, even a rainbow servant with no bard levels casts cure light wounds as an arcane spell.

bibliophile
2008-03-23, 07:07 PM
Q 65 Does spell resistance from multiple sources stack?

Douglas
2008-03-23, 08:03 PM
A65
Spell resistance does not stack. It overlaps. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellResistance)

RTGoodman
2008-03-23, 10:57 PM
Q. 66

Are there rules anywhere for two-weapon fighting with two-handed weapons? Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting only mentions one-handed and light weapons, so is there another feat for this? I would assume it's covered somewhere since there are a variety of multi-armed critters (Thri-kreen, etc.), but I can't find anything.

Explanation:
Get a Bloodstorm Blade, who can throw two-handed weapons, then add Quick Draw to be able to throw two of them a round. I'm not sure if that works, but I'd also just like to know if there are any pre-written RAW rules concerning using two two-handers "at once," even though he'd only have one in his hands at a time.

Nazde Bahatur
2008-03-23, 11:13 PM
Q. 67
I think there's a feat named 'Guerilla Scout'. Can you tell me in what book I can find it?

RTGoodman
2008-03-23, 11:31 PM
A. 67

According to the master Feat Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats), Guerrilla Scout is from Heroes of Battle.

(Check your spelling - I think that may be why you couldn't find it.)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-24, 02:02 AM
Q. 68
Do the Sundark Goggles (Races of the Dragon) affect Light Blindness?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-24, 02:27 AM
A. 066

The TWF rules are for wielding two weapons at once, not for wielding two different weapons in succession.

If you have already used a limb for one kind of attack, say wielding your main hand weapon two-handed, you cannot also use it for other attacks such as using the hand to make off-hand attacks.

Likewise if you are using a claw to wield a weapon you cannot also be using it to make natural weapon attacks.

If you have more than 2 weapon wielding limbs, such as a thri-Kreen, you can wield 2 two-handed weapons at once using the rules for multiweapon fighting and reducing the penalties with the respective feats.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-24, 02:31 AM
A. 068

Strictly speaking, no.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-24, 05:53 AM
Q 69

Is there any feat that improves Bardic Inspirational abilities and if so, what is it/are they?

weenie
2008-03-24, 07:46 AM
Q. 70

How much does an item that lets you once per day cast a 4th level spell with no material components cost?

RTGoodman
2008-03-24, 08:30 AM
A. 70

According to the Magic Item Creation Guidelines (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicItemsCreation.html), the cost of a command word item of a 4th level spell usable once per day (with no other factors influencing cost) is as follows:

Command Word: Spell Level x Caster Level x 2000 [4 x 7 x 2000 = 56000]

Charges per Day: Divide by (5 divided by number of charges) [56000/5 = 11200]

So, it should be around 11,200gp. However, these are just guidelines and don't take into effect what spell you want to cast or anything like that. As usual, just ask your DM (or if you're the DM, administer as you see fit).

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-24, 09:08 AM
Q 71

From second to sixteenth levels, the Bard knows so-and-so number of spells but can't cast any of those highest-level spells (according to SRD's Table: The Bard).

Why is this?

RTGoodman
2008-03-24, 09:15 AM
A. 71

Are you referring to the levels where they have "0" spells per day at certain levels, but have spells known?

That just means that they normally have 0 per day of that level, but if they have a high enough Charisma to get bonus spells based on ability scores (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/basics.html), they can cast those. Other spell levels (those with a - on the chart) simply aren't available - the Bard isn't powerful enough to cast them until higher levels, regardless of ability.

Also, check out the footnote for the "Spells Known" chart - they only know those spells at 2nd level and others "provided the bard has a high enough Charisma score to have a bonus spell of this level."

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-24, 11:27 AM
Q 72

If a character with the Two-weapon defense feat is using a double weapon as a two-handed weapon, do they still get the shield bonus to AC?

squishycube
2008-03-24, 12:30 PM
A072
Yes
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#twoWeaponDefense

When wielding a double weapon or two weapons (not including natural weapons or unarmed strikes), you gain a +1 shield bonus to your AC.
Emphasis added.

theterran
2008-03-24, 12:58 PM
Q73

Is there a spell available to a druid that grants Darkvision, or a cheap item of some sort?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-24, 01:20 PM
A. 069 Partial

Q 69

Is there any feat that improves Bardic Inspirational abilities and if so, what is it/are they?

Chaos Music from Dragon #326.

Epic Inspiration from Epic Level Handbook.

Lingering Song from Complete Adventurer

All these directly affects the power of your abilities, but there are many more that change the effect or add additional effects to you music.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-24, 01:27 PM
A. 073

The Darkvision spell is on the Ranger and Sor/Wiz list, but Goggles of Night is available.

Goggles of Night: The lenses of this item are made of dark crystal. Even though the lenses are opaque, when placed over the eyes of the wearer they enable him to see normally and also grant him 60-foot darkvision. Both lenses must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, darkvision; Price 12,000 gp.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-24, 01:37 PM
A. 072 Nitpick

When you strike with the weapon, using it as a two-handed weapon, you are not considered wielding a double weapon for this purpose. It is the use that counts, not what the weapon is called just as if you wield the double weapon in one hand.

However, as soon as you have completed your two-handed attack(s) you are again considered wielding the weapon as a double weapon if you so desire and do not let go with one hand etc.

So IMHO Squishy is correct, except when you are attacking.

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-24, 05:13 PM
Q. 74 Do range increments scale with size?

It seems strange that a Storm Giant equipped with a Huge dagger would have to take a range penalty when throwing it at someone on the edge (or just outside of) his melee reach.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-24, 06:55 PM
A. 074

No, the rules do not provide any scaling to range increments.

RTGoodman
2008-03-24, 08:05 PM
Q. 075

Is there any way for a single-classed Crusader to gain more readied maneuvers, other than being higher level?

SamTheCleric
2008-03-24, 08:08 PM
Q. 075

Is there any way for a single-classed Crusader to gain more readied maneuvers, other than being higher level?

A 75 ... The extra readied manuever feat?

RTGoodman
2008-03-24, 08:15 PM
A 75 ... The extra readied manuever feat?

My copy of ToB says lists "Swordsage level 1st" as a prerequisite for extra readied maneuver. That's why I asked if there was another way. Of course, if there's errata or FAQ or some other ruling regarding ERM and allowed Crusaders, could someone point it out to me? I couldn't find anything about it.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-24, 08:26 PM
Doh. I meant Extra Granted Manuever... which doesnt allow you to ready an extra one... it just give you an extra one to choose from in the crusader pool o' manuevers.

Sorry!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-25, 02:45 AM
A. 075

Use magic items that grants the use of maneuvers such as those starting on page 149 of ToB.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-25, 12:13 PM
Q. 76

Does the swim speed granted by the Water Adaptation Racial Feat (Races of Faerun) overlap or stack with a Half-Aquatic Elf's natural 15 ft swim speed? Does the bonus to swim checks provided by the feat stack with the racial bonus to swim checks?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-25, 12:36 PM
A. 076

The feat does not grant a bonus to swim speeds, it simply increases it to 20 feet.

The feat was updated in Stormwrack.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-25, 12:42 PM
Then I shall have to check it out in Stormwrack. Thank you.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-25, 03:46 PM
Q77

Do multiple uses of the Hamstring feat stack? For example, if I hit somebody in combat and use the feat to cut his movement from 60 to 30, can I hit him again next round to cut his movement to 15?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-25, 04:01 PM
A. 077

The effects would overlap since it effects the base speed.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-25, 04:04 PM
Makes sense, thanks.

Arganth
2008-03-25, 05:52 PM
Q. 078

Can the same spell be both Stilled and Silenced?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-25, 05:57 PM
A. 078

Yes.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-25, 05:58 PM
Q. 078

Can the same spell be both Stilled and Silenced?

A. 078
No reason why they couldnt be, as long as you added both level adjustments.

Edit: Ninja'd!

ikrase
2008-03-25, 08:44 PM
Do the bounuses for cost with magic weapons count as enhancement bounuses?
Is my Flame Strike sword also +2 sword?

Chronos
2008-03-25, 09:30 PM
Q80: Can a feat count as its own prerequisite?

For instance, suppose I'm a Chameleon 2, and use my floating bonus feat to gain some random luck feat. I then use a normal feat slot to take Make your Own Luck, which has as a prerequisite "any one luck feat". If I then change my chameleon feat to something else, can I still benefit from Make your Own Luck, since I still have a luck feat to use as a prerequisite?

Alternately, can two luck feats serve as prerequisites for each other (same situation as above, except I take, say, Make your Own Luck and Tempting Fate before changing my chameleon feat)?

Douglas
2008-03-25, 09:40 PM
A79 (please number your questions when you post)
No. The bonus equivalent for special abilities such as Flaming are for cost purposes only.

Also, A weapon with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm) A Flaming Burst weapon is not a legal weapon by RAW. To get that ability, the minimum cost is a +1 Flaming Burst weapon, which costs the same as a +3 weapon.

Mavian
2008-03-25, 09:49 PM
Q81:

Corrupt Spell and Consecrate Spell allow you to add the Evil or Good descriptor to a spell. Is there a set of feats that allow you to add the Law or Chaos descriptor in the same way?

Epinephrine
2008-03-25, 11:38 PM
Q82: Spring Attack makes no reference to the type of movement involved; if a character with flight speed has Spring Attack, can he use it to do the equivalent of an Improved Flyby Attack? If no, what about if the character has Flyby Attack as well?

Text of Spring Attack: When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. You can’t use this feat if you are wearing heavy armor.

You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.

Q83: I'm wondering about stalls and momentum in aerial combat; if a flyer stalls it falls 150 feet in the first round; it can recover if it makes a DC20 reflex save. With relatively slow flyers, and poor mobility flyers, what does this mean? Can they really just stop their vertical speed (which might well be greater than their movement rate) and switch into level flight (odd, since many poor flyers have a limit to how much they can turn in a square, their climb speed, climb angle, distance required to move from climbing to falling, etc...)? I can see how it might simplify things, but it somewhat ignores momentum - a fly 30' (average) falling 150 feet would logically be unable to fully stop falling in a round, since disregarding facing, they would have a velocity much greater than their ability to ascend. Additionally, there are no rules about facing when pulling out of a stall; the text mentions that stalled flyers fall slower than non-flyers (hence 150 feet) because of their wings, and that a stalled flyer tumbles randomly (20% miss chance) - this would imply some randomness of facing/orientation when they come out of the stall.

McMindflayer
2008-03-26, 01:29 AM
Q84: If an Ally swings a weapon at you in the middle of combat , can you willingly take the hit without losing any AC to any other attack actions against you that round?

Magnor Criol
2008-03-26, 02:56 AM
Q81:

Corrupt Spell and Consecrate Spell allow you to add the Evil or Good descriptor to a spell. Is there a set of feats that allow you to add the Law or Chaos descriptor in the same way?

A 81: According to WotC's Consolidated Feat Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats), no such metamagic feats exist; which is unusual, because I thought I'd remembered seeing them.

They should be simple and reasonable to homebrew. Call it Axiomatic or Anarchic Spell, or something like "Regulate" and "Disorganize" to align better with the original feat names, and change all references to "Good" or "Evil" to the appropriate type. Holy or Profane damage would become Axiomatic or Anarchic damage.

Q 85: I remember seeing somewhere a list that correlated the all the creature types to various Knowledge skills - Animals to Knowledge (Nature), Elementals to Knowledge (The Planes), Abberations to Knowledge (Dungeoneering), and so on. I believe it was part of a class feature, though I don't remember anything else about it. Does anyone know where I can find this list again?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 02:56 AM
A. 080

If you fail to meet the prerequisites of a feat you do not lose the feat, just the benefits, so with this feat as your only luck feat you would still meet the prerequisites by the wording of the feat.

RAI might disagree and it is not unlikely that they never thought it would be necessary to write "any other luck feat" instead.

It this case it seems rather fitting though.

Your hard work lets you exploit minor loopholes

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 02:59 AM
A. 082

Spring Attack is not restricted to land speed.

Talic
2008-03-26, 03:02 AM
A. 85

The Archivist, I believe.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 03:02 AM
A. 083

The rules are not very detailed or realistic in this regard. The simplest would be to assume that facing is maintained despite of the tumbling fall.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 03:11 AM
A. 084

I do not think it is covered directly by the rules, but their is precedence from touch attacks, so it seems reasonable to allow it.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-03-26, 03:35 AM
Q86
this must have been discussed repeatedly, but nevertheless.

supposedly i have a Thri-Kreen character wielding 4 light weapons in his hands. supposedly he has a BAB of +6/+1 and the Multiweapon Fighting feat.
how many attacks can he make as a full attack action and at which attack bonuses would they come?
could anyone write that in detail?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 03:39 AM
A. 086

Based on BAB alone that would be:

Main: +4/-1
3 Off-hands: +4/+4/+4

Add to these weapon attacks your bite: +1 (+6 -5 for using a natural weapon as a secondary natural weapon attack)

I hope that was enough detail, otherwise I would be happy to elaborate.

SydneyLosstarot
2008-03-26, 03:51 AM
thanks a lot!

it was just the weird idea that he could get additional attacks with off hands due to high BAB.
O.o

thx for clearing this for me!)

Magnor Criol
2008-03-26, 03:54 AM
A. 85

The Archivist, I believe.

Not entirely. The archivist has a partial such list, but it only pertains to magical beasts (Know arcana), aberrations (Know dungeion), undead (religion), and outsiders and elementals (the planes).

The list I remember - or seem to remember - included all the creature types, most notably for my purposes humanoids, giants, and the like. It's simple enough to say animals are covered by knowledge (nature), but the others are fuzzier, and I'd prefer a RAW-backed interpretation rather than making my own if one such exists.

So, Q85: What Knowledge skills are correlated to the different creature types?

is still on the floor, I believe.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 04:02 AM
A. 086 Continued

thanks a lot!

it was just the weird idea that he could get additional attacks with off hands due to high BAB.
O.o

thx for clearing this for me!)

Just like with normal TWF you can take the improved and greater feat versions that grants additional off-hand attacks.

IMPROVED MULTIWEAPON FIGHTING [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dex 15, three or more arms, Multiweapon Fighting, base attack bonus +9.

Benefit: In addition to the single extra attack a creature gets with each extra weapon from Multiweapon Fighting, it gets a second attack with each extra weapon, albeit at a -5 penalty.

Normal: With only Multiweapon Fighting, a creater can only get a single attack with each extra weapon.

Special: This feat replaces the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

GREATER MULTIWEAPON FIGHTING [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dex 19, three or more arms, Improved Multiweapon Fighting, Multiweapon Fighting, base attack bonus +15.

Benefit: The creature may make up to three extra attacks with each extra offhand weapon it wields, albeit at a -10 penalty on the third attack with each weapon.

Special: This feat replaces the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Or if playing Epic.

PERFECT MULTIWEAPON FIGHTING [EPIC]
Prerequisite: Dex 25, three or more hands, Greater Multiweapon Fighting, Multiweapon Fighting.

Benefit: The character can make as many attacks with each extra weapon as with his or her primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus. The character still takes the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons.

Normal: A creature without this feat can make only one attack per round with each extra weapon (or two attacks per round with each weapon if it has Multiweapon Fighting, or three attacks per round with each extra weapon if it has Greater Multiweapon Fighting). Each attack after the first extra attack has a cumulative -5 penalty.

Special: This feat replaces the Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting feat for creatures with more than two arms.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 04:52 AM
A. 085

That information should be covered by the description of the knowledge skill.

KNOWLEDGE (INT; TRAINED ONLY)

Below are listed typical fields of study.

* Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts)
* Architecture and engineering (buildings, aqueducts, bridges, fortifications)
* Dungeoneering (aberrations, caverns, oozes, spelunking)
* Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people)
* History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities)
* Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)
* Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin)
* Nobility and royalty (lineages, heraldry, family trees, mottoes, personalities)
* Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead)
* The planes (the Inner Planes, the Outer Planes, the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes)

(My emphasis, hope I did not forget some :smallsmile: )

Nazde Bahatur
2008-03-26, 08:06 AM
Q. 87
We are about to commence playing a D20 Modern campaign via the internet, and we have a bit of a situation here..
We need to be able to see each other's character sheet, but we do not know of a site that we could use.
I need something such as this: http://zaei.sytes.net/profiler/
but for D20 Modern. Can anyone help me, please?

RTGoodman
2008-03-26, 08:23 AM
A. 087

This site (http://pifro.com/pro/) is run, if I recall correctly, by one of our fellow forumites, and has the option to upload characters for D&D 3.5, d20 Modern, and a number of other games.

DLoFunk
2008-03-26, 09:59 AM
Q: 088

Can a Duskblade channel his spells through gauntlets, say maybe to work with a Monks unarmed strike?

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-26, 11:31 AM
Q: 089

Does time spent dead count towards one's lifespan? If a DM rolled that an elf would die of old age at age 600, and the elf died in combat at age 500, can a 20th-level Cleric use True Resurrection 200 years after the elf died in combat to restore him to life?

Q: 090

Same as above, only he's turned to stone instead of dead. Can a 20th-level Cleric restore him 100 years after he would've died naturally?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-26, 11:59 AM
A 089

Does time spent dead count toward one's lifespan? The answer is contained in the question: no.

A 090

Since stone isn't living, again the answer is that the time spent not alive doesn't count toward lifespan.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-26, 12:08 PM
A 088

There are two possible RAW answers here, neither of which is likely to satisfy you.
Gauntlets do no weapon damage of their own (they merely convert the type of unarmed damage from nonlethal to lethal) so they're not really weapons and thus won't work with Arcane Channeling.
Gauntlets are weapons, but a 20th level Monk would get exactly the weapon damage listed: 1d3 if medium size. Plus Monks would suffer nonproficiency penalties since gauntlets aren't on their weapon list.

Chronos
2008-03-26, 12:38 PM
Plus Monks would suffer nonproficiency penalties since gauntlets aren't on their weapon list.That, at least, should not be an issue in this specific case, since regardless of whether monks have proficiency in gauntlets or not, duskblades certainly do.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 01:16 PM
A. 088 3rd option

A 088

There are two possible RAW answers here, neither of which is likely to satisfy you.
Gauntlets do no weapon damage of their own (they merely convert the type of unarmed damage from nonlethal to lethal) so they're not really weapons and thus won't work with Arcane Channeling.
Gauntlets are weapons, but a 20th level Monk would get exactly the weapon damage listed: 1d3 if medium size. Plus Monks would suffer nonproficiency penalties since gauntlets aren't on their weapon list.

You ignore the combination of your two options; Gauntlets are weapons that deal the same damage as your unarmed strikes.

The only function of this weapon is to convert non-lethal damage to lethal damage and cause difficulties for the monk if he/she would like to use it, but there is no indication that it is not a weapon and it is only reasonable to assume that damage is based on your unarmed strikes as the description and the FAQ suggests.

theterran
2008-03-26, 02:30 PM
Q91

Does a Dragonfire Adpet's breath weapon qualify it for the [metabreath] feats in Draconomicon?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 02:40 PM
A. 091

No, you need a breath weapon with a the time between uses expressed in rounds before you can take them.

Jimp
2008-03-26, 02:56 PM
Q. 092
Can spells from reserve feats work with the specialist conjurer ability to teleport around after casting a conjuration spell?

RTGoodman
2008-03-26, 03:02 PM
A. 92

I'm not sure what specialist Conjurer you're talking about, but if it requires you to "cast a Conjuration spell" in order to gain its benefit, then no.

Reserve Feats
[. . .] Each reserve feat's primary benefit is a supernatural ability usable at will.

The J Pizzel
2008-03-26, 03:27 PM
This is not a RAW question, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread over.

Is there a "chimera" template? If so, what book is it in? I want to make one with heads of 'swamp like' animals (alligator, black dragon, viper, etc.)

Prometheus
2008-03-26, 03:34 PM
Q 94 Can a monk make every attack in a flurry a stunning fist attempt, just one, or is it a separate standard action attack altogether?

A 93 Yes in MMII. In addition there is a multi-headed template in Savage Species

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 03:37 PM
A. 093

No, I do not think so, but starting a new thread to get some homebrew solutions seems like a worthy topic for a thread.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-26, 03:39 PM
A. 094

Stunning Fist can be used once per round.

You may attempt a stunning attack once per day for every four levels you have attained (but see Special), and no more than once per round.

Ograbme
2008-03-26, 10:21 PM
Q.095
Does the spell [I]close wounds[I] (Spell Compendium, p.48) prevent a character dropped below 0hp from falling prone?

Q.096
Can a swordsage or warblade have more than one instance of the same maneuver readied at the same time, in the same way a wizard can have several magic missiles prepared? I heard no but I'd like a cite.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-27, 03:50 AM
A. 095

Yes, assuming Close Wounds keeps him above 0 of course.
The damage is prevented so it is like the creature never fell below 0.

A. 096

You heard correct, but I do not recall anything preventing a multiclass martial adept from doing it though.

Chronos
2008-03-27, 10:50 AM
Q 97: If a character wears a Headband of Intellect or similar for an extended period of time (i.e., a full level or longer), does it increase the number of skill points gained on leveling up?

Douglas
2008-03-27, 11:03 AM
A97
No. The description of the Headband of Intellect specifically states that it does not increase skill points.

A96
I'm not sure it is explicitly and directly stated anywhere in ToB, but the Tome of Battle Q&A (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=890611) says that you cannot learn or ready any one maneuver more than once at a time, regardless of multiclassing. A Swordsage/Warblade/Crusader who wanted to load up on Mountain Hammer would be able to learn it once for one of his classes, he would be able to ready a single copy of it for that class, and that would be it.

The closest rules text I've been able to find is describing the selection as choosing maneuvers rather than filling slots in the Maneuvers Readied section of each base class, and readied maneuvers being described as a set on page 38, which if taken in its precise mathematical sense disallows duplicates - a thing can be either in a set or not in a set, it cannot be present multiple times in a set.

SamTheCleric
2008-03-27, 11:33 AM
A97
No. The description of the Headband of Intellect specifically states that it does not increase skill points.

Here's the quote from the srd:

Headband of Intellect
This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

Chronos
2008-03-27, 01:33 PM
I should have just checked there in the first place, but I figured it'd be buried in some obscure rule about temporary bonuses. Thanks.

Maulrus
2008-03-27, 09:18 PM
Q 98 Does a creature with the outsider template count as a living, corporeal creature for the purposes of applying the Half-Dragon template?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-27, 10:40 PM
A 98 An outsider has Con score thus it is a living creature; as long as it does not possess Incorporeal subtype (as with all Loumaras), it should be considered corporeal.

p.s. You can even have Half-dragon black pudding! A typical case (and its disasterous consequence) of playing with one's food, eh? :smallamused:

Epinephrine
2008-03-27, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the last answers, got another one here

Q99 The spell Plant Growth describes the overgrowth effect thusly:

Overgrowth: This effect causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within long range (400 feet + 40 feet per caster level) to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Speed drops to 5 feet, or 10 feet for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect.

What effective cover/concealment does this offer? Would the ability Woodland Stride ignore the movement reduction, since the plants are not under a magical effect (the spell is instantaneous, and seems to merely make normal plants grow like crazy, unlike an Entangle which is a magical effect)?

Thanks again!

drengnikrafe
2008-03-27, 11:39 PM
Q. 100

We're having a rather vicious debate over on another thread, so I was wondering if there was any conclusive answer to the question in the RaW: If you take off a wing of Wizardry after you have prepared the spells, do you lose the spells you have prepared? Please take into account that if there's not something totally conclusive on this written, just say so...

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-27, 11:53 PM
Q. 101

The Spellstitched template from MMII is applied by tattooing/carving runes into the body of an undead. If a lich becomes Spellstitched and then his body is destroyed, does he still have the Spellstitched template when he returns via his phylactery?

Alveanerle
2008-03-28, 04:11 AM
Q. 102
Frenzied Berserkers:

a) Is it possible to have both frenzy and rage on?

b) if the answer for a) is positive, and if rage is starter after the frenzy, does its +CON modifier affects the duration of frenzy?

c) if the answer for a) is positive, do stat modifiers from rage and frenzy stack?

Talic
2008-03-28, 08:19 AM
Q. 103 If a Dragonfire Adept has metabreath feats (for example, by virtue of being a Dragonborn with the Heart ability, or by being a half dragon), can he/she apply them to the Dragonfire Adept breath weapon?

Q. 104 The trip ability states that you perform an unarmed melee touch attack, provoking an attack of opportunity from the defender, as is normal for unarmed attacks. Would the Improved Unarmed Strike feat (or another ability that allowed unarmed attacks to not provoke) negate this?

Q. 105 How about a creature with natural weapons?

Alveanerle
2008-03-28, 08:33 AM
A. 104 and 105

AFAIK neither the Improved Unarmed Strike nor natural weapons alone remove the AoO for attempting to trip. Only Improved Trip (or using tripping weapon) allows for no-AoO trips.

UglyPanda
2008-03-28, 11:22 AM
Q. 106 Does Spirited Charge work with a Centaur's ability to deal x2 on a charge? In other words, would an unmounted Centaur with Spirited Charge deal x3?

RTGoodman
2008-03-28, 12:12 PM
A. 106

I don't think so. The text of Spirited Charge says, "When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance)." (Emphasis mine.)

Unless being a Centaur says you're considered "mounted" (or you happen to be a Centaur riding something else), then you don't meet the qualifications (i.e., "be mounted") to get the extra damage.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-28, 12:14 PM
Q 107. Just to settle a debate I've been having - is it correct that a Warlock cannot use wizard scrolls the normal way? The reason would be that even though he is an arcane caster and probably has enough intelligence, he does not actually have a "spell list". Of course, he can cast any scrolls he wants to by using UMD.

Rad
2008-03-28, 12:25 PM
A 107

You are correct.

Activate the Spell

Activating a scroll requires reading the spell from the scroll. The character must be able to see and read the writing on the scroll. Activating a scroll spell requires no material components or focus. (The creator of the scroll provided these when scribing the scroll.) Note that some spells are effective only when cast on an item or items. In such a case, the scroll user must provide the item when activating the spell. Activating a scroll spell is subject to disruption just as casting a normally prepared spell would be. Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance.

To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score.

If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

Neftren
2008-03-28, 03:51 PM
Q. 108

When determining bonus spells per day as seen on the table in the Player's Handbook, do you use the unmodified ability score, or can you gain additional bonus spells by increasing the relevant ability score?

For instance, if you have an intelligence score of 18, you gain an additional 1 spell per spell level up to 4th level. If my intelligence score were to increase by ten to reach 28, do I only have those four bonus spells per day, or do I gain bonus spells and increase to the progression stated for an intelligence modifier of +9? That would raise me to the following:

3 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1

Douglas
2008-03-28, 03:57 PM
A108
You use the highest value of your spellcasting ability score that has been maintained through all of:
1) Resting prior to spell preparation
2) Spell preparation
3) Casting the prepared spells.

Short term boosts like Fox's Cunning don't count, long term boosts like a Headband of Intellect do, provided you wear it constantly.

Note that spell save DCs are different in this matter, however - the save DC of a spell is determined by the relevant casting attribute, including any and all modifiers, at the time you cast the spell.

Reference: This question is answered most directly and explicitly in the official FAQ. Going by only the text actually in the PHB or SRD requires more reading, cross-checking from different places, and noting that the relevant rules never reference your "base" ability score or similar.

Neftren
2008-03-28, 03:58 PM
A108
You use the highest value of your spellcasting ability score that has been maintained through all of:
1) Resting prior to spell preparation
2) Spell preparation
3) Casting the prepared spells.

Short term boosts like Fox's Cunning don't count, long term boosts like a Headband of Intellect do, provided you wear them constantly.

Note that spell save DCs are different in this matter, however - the save DC of a spell is determined by the relevant casting attribute, including any and all modifiers, at the time you cast the spell.

Can I get a citation from the SRD or a page number from a book please?

Douglas
2008-03-28, 04:02 PM
See my edit. The official FAQ can be found here (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/faq).

Demons_eye
2008-03-28, 11:14 PM
Q:109

There are items that give stats bosts I know gloves of dex and cloak of cha what are the other 4? the ones that come in 2 4 or 6 that is.

Mavian
2008-03-28, 11:27 PM
A: 109

Headband of Intellect
Periapt of Wisdom
Cloak of Charisma
Gloves of Dexterity
Gauntlets of Ogre Power/Belt of Giant Strength
Amulet of Health

Maulrus
2008-03-29, 12:08 AM
Q 110

Can a creature lacking natural armor use an Amulet of Natural Armor and gain the bonus?

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-29, 12:11 AM
A. 110

Yes, because creatures without natural armor are considered to have a natural armor bonus of +0, and thus it can be increased by the amulet.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 02:30 AM
A. 099

Q99 The spell Plant Growth describes the overgrowth effect thusly:

Overgrowth: This effect causes normal vegetation (grasses, briars, bushes, creepers, thistles, trees, vines) within long range (400 feet + 40 feet per caster level) to become thick and overgrown. The plants entwine to form a thicket or jungle that creatures must hack or force a way through. Speed drops to 5 feet, or 10 feet for Large or larger creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect.

What effective cover/concealment does this offer? Would the ability Woodland Stride ignore the movement reduction, since the plants are not under a magical effect (the spell is instantaneous, and seems to merely make normal plants grow like crazy, unlike an Entangle which is a magical effect)?

Thanks again!

Heavy undergrowth creates concealment with a 30% miss chance and since we do not have any rules for an even denser environment using these numbers seems like a good baseline, but the spell description give us no indication by itself.

Woodland Stride should do the trick, since it is not magical after it has been created.

Nebo_
2008-03-29, 02:43 AM
A. 099

Heavy undergrowth creates concealment with a 20% miss chance and since we do not have any rules for an even denser environment using these numbers seems like a good baseline, but the spell description give us no indication by itself.

Woodland Stride should do the trick, since it is not magical after it has been created.

Fixed. You must be thinking of 3.0

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 02:50 AM
A. 100

Q. 100

We're having a rather vicious debate over on another thread, so I was wondering if there was any conclusive answer to the question in the RaW: If you take off a wing of Wizardry after you have prepared the spells, do you lose the spells you have prepared? Please take into account that if there's not something totally conclusive on this written, just say so...

As with most magical items that take up a slot you do not benefit from the item unless you are wearing it.
As soon as you take of the ring you lose access to those spell lots you gained from the ring.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-29, 02:53 AM
A 104 Yes, IUS negates the AoO for attacking unarmed.

Making a Trip Attack

Make an unarmed melee touch attack against your target. This provokes an attack of opportunity from your target as normal for unarmed attacks.

Improved Unarmed Strike [General]

Benefit: You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks or opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed. The normal case for unarmed attacks is that they provoke AoOs. The Improved Unarmed Strike feat changes the rules so that unarmed attacks no longer provoke. An unarmed trip attack is still an unarmed attack, and the rules for making an unarmed attack apply as normal when tripping. With IUS you no longer provoke while attacking unarmed.

In general, feats are ways to "buy" exceptions to the normal D&D rules. The normal rules only override feats when they say so explicitly. There's no such override mentioned for trip attacks -- merely some unclear phrasing. It would have been better if the authors had included this statement:
(If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) (Quoted from the text about making unarmed/natural weapon attacks while holding spell charges.)

A 105

Either no trip attempt is possible, or if it's possible, no AoO is provoked.

If you're making a trip attack, you must use one of the following:
an unarmed attack
a weapon that specifically allows trip attempts
A natural weapon attack is not the same as an unarmed attack. If the natural weapon specifically allows tripping, then the standard rules apply:
A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If the natural weapon doesn't mention that it can be used in trip attempts, it can't.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 02:54 AM
Fixed. You must be thinking of 3.0

No, you should unfix your fix. :smallwink:

DMG 3.5, page 87.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 02:56 AM
A. 101

Q. 101

The Spellstitched template from MMII is applied by tattooing/carving runes into the body of an undead. If a lich becomes Spellstitched and then his body is destroyed, does he still have the Spellstitched template when he returns via his phylactery?

Yes, the body presumably regrows with all templates intact.

Chineselegolas
2008-03-29, 05:06 AM
Q 111: Star Wars Sage Edition question. Does a droids movement modes count as natural movement for purposes of the scouts Long Strider talent?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 05:39 AM
A. 111

Q 111: Star Wars Sage Edition question. Does a droids movement modes count as natural movement for purposes of the scouts Long Strider talent?

I have very little experience with SW, but assuming that the modes of movement you are talking about are listed speeds I would be surprised if it did not.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 05:41 AM
A. 103

Q. 103 If a Dragonfire Adept has metabreath feats (for example, by virtue of being a Dragonborn with the Heart ability, or by being a half dragon), can he/she apply them to the Dragonfire Adept breath weapon?

The application of metabreath feats requires that the duration between breaths are expressed in rounds, so having other breath weapons that fulfill the requirement would not help those that do not.

Gorbash
2008-03-29, 09:43 AM
Q. 112

How does Pearl of Power work? I find the explanation a bit unclear. Do I designate that I'm using it before I cast a spell, and then that spells is automatically re-prepared, or I just take a standard action to recall a spell I already cast?

Nazde Bahatur
2008-03-29, 10:40 AM
Q. 113
-Can someone tell me where can I find the feat Cumbrous Dodge?

-Is there a feat that gives you a bonus to tumble checks or something to avoid attacks of opportunity? Is there an official magic item that prevents attacks of opportunity or gives you a related bonus to avoid being attacked when you move past enemies?

-Also, can someone take the feat Rapid Assault (Tome of Battle) more than once, gaining multiple d6s to damage in the first round of combat?

-Oh, I forgot that one. What is Thrall of the Serpent?

Beren One-Hand
2008-03-29, 12:20 PM
I am currently making a character for a PbP, which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4118684&postcount=94), but I have a few questions regarding the Psion Uncarnate prestige class.

Q. 114 1) Does his Skirmish (or Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike) ability work with his Incoporeal Touch attack?

Q. 115 Can he use his Touch Attack as part of a Full Attack? (ie. make more than one touch attack per round.

Q. 116 Does being incorporeal allow him to fly, since he has no physical body?

Q. 117 Does being incorporeal allow him to forgo food/drink/breathing, since he has no physical body?

Q. 118 His Telekenetic Force ability is a supernatural ability, but it references a psionic power. Does he have to use an action to activate it or concentrate to use it? And can he use it on more than one thing at a time?

Q. 119 His Assume Likeness ability seems to indicate that he can appear like he is any corporeal being from Small to Large size. Is this correct?

Q. 120 If the target of his Uncarnate Bridge ability makes the saving throw to avoid his "bloody exit", does this negate the teleportation effect as well, or just the damage?

Curmudgeon
2008-03-29, 03:02 PM
Q. 112

How does Pearl of Power work? I find the explanation a bit unclear. Do I designate that I'm using it before I cast a spell, and then that spells is automatically re-prepared, or I just take a standard action to recall a spell I already cast? A 112

It's the latter (which I bolded).
Once per day on command, a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast. The spell is then prepared again, just as if it had not been cast.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-29, 03:14 PM
A. 113

Q. 113
-Can someone tell me where can I find the feat Cumbrous Dodge?

Savage Species.

-Is there a feat that gives you a bonus to tumble checks or something to avoid attacks of opportunity?

Skill Focus, Mobility, Spring Attack are some from the PHB.

Is there an official magic item that prevents attacks of opportunity or gives you a related bonus to avoid being attacked when you move past enemies?

Ring of Invisibility. :smalltongue:

-Also, can someone take the feat Rapid Assault (Tome of Battle) more than once, gaining multiple d6s to damage in the first round of combat?

No, feats that can be taken more than once mentions this in their description.

-Oh, I forgot that one. What is Thrall of the Serpent?

I do not recall that one.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-29, 03:19 PM
Q. 113
(a)-Can someone tell me where can I find the feat Cumbrous Dodge?

(b)-Is there a feat that gives you a bonus to tumble checks or something to avoid attacks of opportunity? Is there an official magic item that prevents attacks of opportunity or gives you a related bonus to avoid being attacked when you move past enemies?

(c)-Also, can someone take the feat Rapid Assault (Tome of Battle) more than once, gaining multiple d6s to damage in the first round of combat?

(d)-Oh, I forgot that one. What is Thrall of the Serpent? A 113

(a) Cumbrous Dodge is in Savage Species on page 31. WotC has an online Feat Index (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats).

(b) The Epic feat Legendary Acrobat (Complete Adventurer, page 192) removes any penalties for fast movement while you Tumble: either -10 for Accelerated Tumbling or -20 for Sprinting Tumble.

(c) No.
If a character has the same feat more than once, its benefits do not stack unless indicated otherwise in the description.

(d) ???

squishycube
2008-03-29, 05:04 PM
A114
Yes, as long as all conditions for sneak attack are met any attack that requires an attack roll can have precision-based damage added to it. The precision damage is the same type as that of the attack, except if that was ability damage, then the precision damage is converted into negative energy damage. The FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a) has more information regarding this topic.

A115
Yes, you do get iterative attacks with touch attacks. In the Full Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack) section only the generic term 'attack' is used.

A116
The Incorporeal Subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) by itself does not grant a fly speed. Note that for most incorporeal creatures a fly speed is mentioned separately. It might be an oversight that the Psion Uncarnate gains no fly speed. On the other hand, the text does say: "Incorporeal creatures cannot fall or take falling damage", which implies that any incorporeal creature can fly. This strengthens the idea that it is an oversight, but it could also be viewed as incorporeal creatures permanently having feather fall.

A117
The Incorporeal Subtype (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) does not mention this. By comparison, the Contruct Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typessubtypes.htm#constructType) does mention that all constructs do not eat, sleep or breath. So strictly by RAW incorporeal creatures do need to sleep, eat and breath. The Incorporeal Subtype does mention this: "Incorporeal creatures pass through and operate in water as easily as they do in air" which could be interpreted to mean that they a) can breath water or b) do not breath or c) they function well under water, but need to come up for air.

A118
The Telekinetic Force (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm#telekineticForce) description says activating it is a standard action. I'd say that you do need to concentrate to continue the effect, but it would've been more clear if it had been a psi-like ability. (But the writers probably wanted to give the advantages of supernatural abilities.)

A119
The Assume Likeness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/psionUncarnate.htm#assumeLikeness) ability allows the psion uncarnate to appear as any small, medium or large creature, even if the uncarnate himself is gargantuan.

A120
The wording implies that the uncarnate exits regardless, the save prevents only the damage. Discussion about this is certainly possible.

squishycube
2008-03-29, 05:08 PM
A113d
According to Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Thrall+of+the+Serpent%22) the thrall of the serpent is not a D&D (or any roleplay) related thing. The only hit that has anything to do with roleplaying is this topic...

Rowanomicon
2008-03-29, 05:23 PM
Q 121

Space/Reach
The number before the slash is the creature’s space, or how many feet one side of the creature occupies.
Does that mean that a creature with Space 20ft is 20ft by 20ft?
Specific example is the Gargatuan Monstrous Centipede (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousCentipede.htm) with Space/Reach 20ft/15ft.
Obviously Centipedes are much longer than they are wide so is a Gargantuan Monstrous Centipede 20ft by 20ft when it's curled up with the ability to strike foes up to 15ft away (Reach) or is it 20ft long (and only 5ft/one square wide) with the ability to strike at foes up to 15ft away?
If the latter is that 15ft from the head or 15ft from any part of the body?
If the former than how long is it stretched out?

TheCountAlucard
2008-03-29, 05:39 PM
A. 121

Space doesn't represent the physical dimensions of the creature - it represents the amount of space it needs to fight effectively. It doesn't necessarily take up the entire amount of space, but for game purposes, it does, because the creature is assumed to be moving within the squares it occupies.

Thus, 15 feet from any of the squares it occupies.

Q. 122

Can a dual-classing Wizard/Archivist (from Heroes of Horror write his arcane and divine spells in the same spell/prayerbook?

Chronos
2008-03-29, 10:50 PM
A 122: There's nothing special about a wizard's spellbook itself; any writing surface will do (the cost per page is for special inks). The rules say that spells could be scribed on rolls of parchment, or strips of tree bark if nothing else is available. So there's no reason that a wizard couldn't use the back pages of his prayerbook to record wizard spells (or his personal diary, or his favorite recipe for fudge brownies, or anything else one might use a blank book for).

Talic
2008-03-30, 02:45 AM
A. 103

The application of metabreath feats requires that the duration between breaths are expressed in rounds, so having other breath weapons that fulfill the requirement would not help those that do not.

Can I get a source cited for this ruling? I checked my Draconomicon, and while having such a breath weapon is a prerequisite for taking such a feat, I see no terminology there prohibiting those feats, once possessed, to be applied to any breath weapon possessed.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-30, 03:49 AM
Can I get a source cited for this ruling? I checked my Draconomicon, and while having such a breath weapon is a prerequisite for taking such a feat, I see no terminology there prohibiting those feats, once possessed, to be applied to any breath weapon possessed.

There is no direct quote that explicitly prohibits such a use and I agree that the introductory text could be read as a loophole through the Os' in the poor wording.

However, reading the next two section on effects and stacking makes it clear that the intended interpretation is for the round duration requirement to apply to the use of the feat also.

Talic
2008-03-30, 03:53 AM
There is no direct quote that explicitly prohibits such a use and I agree that the introductory text could be read as a loophole through the Os' in the poor wording.

However, reading the next two section on effects and stacking makes it clear that the intended interpretation is for the round duration requirement to apply to the use of the feat also.

So by RAI, certainly not, but by RAW, it could go either way, based on interpretation?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-30, 04:49 AM
So by RAI, certainly not, but by RAW, it could go either way, based on interpretation?

The problem with the interpretation that would allow it, is not just that it is not RAI, in particular the increase in "cool down" makes no sense if there is not any.

I would personally find it hard to justify an unreasonable interpretation that clearly goes against the RAI and makes little sense just because the wording is not iron clad.

Talic
2008-03-30, 04:56 AM
Only issue I see with that, is that in most areas of D&D, when you attempt to add a feature to something that doesn't have it, you start with the assumption that it has that feature at 0 (such as Natural Armor). The last line could be interpreted in this instance to add 1 round to whatever delay there was (such as a dragonfire adept's delay of nothing, or 0 rounds, being increased to 1 or 2 rounds). It's not definitive, but there are precedents in other areas which could be used to support such an interpretation, I think.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-30, 05:33 AM
Only issue I see with that, is that in most areas of D&D, when you attempt to add a feature to something that doesn't have it, you start with the assumption that it has that feature at 0 (such as Natural Armor).

That certainly is not the general rule. For instance, in the case of natural armor it is explicitly mentioned that natural armor increases you AC and stacks withh all other bonuses to armor.

The monk has an enhancement bonus to speed, by such an interpretation that would suddenly make the monk able to fly, burrow, swim etc. without having any of those speeds.

The last line could be interpreted in this instance to add 1 round to whatever delay there was (such as a dragonfire adept's delay of nothing, or 0 rounds, being increased to 1 or 2 rounds). It's not definitive, but there are precedents in other areas which could be used to support such an interpretation, I think.

The difference between having no duration and a duration of 0 rounds is quite big, especially when it comes to the meta feats, spells etc where these wordings are quite precise.

If your interpretation were to be supported you would not even need those other breath weapons to qualify, since by your reasoning the no duration cool down should be interpreted as a duration of 0 rounds, which would then meet the prerequisite for taking the metabreath feats.

I am sorry, but it really seems like a stretch IMHO.

Talic
2008-03-30, 05:58 AM
If your interpretation were to be supported you would not even need those other breath weapons to qualify, since by your reasoning the no duration cool down should be interpreted as a duration of 0 rounds, which would then meet the prerequisite for taking the metabreath feats.

I am sorry, but it really seems like a stretch IMHO.
Excepting that the qualifying statement specifically exempts the hell hound's breath, with a wait time expressed in minutes, although those minutes could easily be expressed in rounds by multiplying by 10. This shows that the literal delay needs to be used for qualification.

Further, there's an arguement that the delay wouldn't even apply, if it couldn't be applied to the breath weapon.

Take, for example, a spell that does cold damage, and stuns creatures. If a creature is immune to stunning, does the cold damage fail too? If so, fire elementals will all breathe easier. Or do you take what effects will apply, and ignore the parts that cannot apply by virtue of the nature of the target?