PDA

View Full Version : TWF, quarter staff and weapon finesse

Cuddly
2008-03-15, 01:34 AM
If you TWF with a quarter staff, can you finesse with it? Just the off hand attack?

Kyace
2008-03-15, 02:23 AM
You treat it as a one handed weapon and an off weapon so I'd assume just the off attack.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-15, 03:00 AM
Weapons you can finesse are just weapons you can finesse. Size of the weapon doesn't matter.

Cuddly
2008-03-15, 04:19 AM
Weapons you can finesse are just weapons you can finesse. Size of the weapon doesn't matter.

Weapon Finesse [General]
Prerequisite

Base attack bonus +1.
Benefit

With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls.
Special

A fighter may select Weapon Finesse as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Natural weapons are always considered light weapons.

Rad
2008-03-15, 04:38 AM
You treat it as a one handed weapon and an off weapon so I'd assume just the off attack.

Not even sure about that; IIRC you are only considered to be wielding a light weapon in your off-hand for TWF penalties purpose.
Now that I think about it: are you getting 1.5 Str on both attacks and the ability to get a 2:1 power attack on both?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 05:02 AM
Now that I think about it: are you getting 1.5 Str on both attacks and the ability to get a 2:1 power attack on both?

No, you have to use it as a two-handed weapon and then you are not TWF.

The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it.

Zincorium
2008-03-15, 05:05 AM
Not even sure about that; IIRC you are only considered to be wielding a light weapon in your off-hand for TWF penalties purpose.

It doesn't specify 'for the purposes of two weapon fighting penalties'. The writing is a bit weird though. The fact is, other than the cost of the feat there's already a concrete benefit from wielding a double weapon.

Additionally, there is a prestige class, Revenant Blade, which gives the 2x power attack and 1.5 strength bonus to both ends of a double scimitar, so there's reason to believe that doesn't happen otherwise.

Sir Giacomo
2008-03-15, 06:50 AM
Hi,

I may be mistaken, but possibly the monk in a flurry can use the quarterstaff with weapon finesse since then both ends count as separate weapons (and they may be considered light).

- Giacomo

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-03-15, 08:01 AM
Hi,

I may be mistaken, but possibly the monk in a flurry can use the quarterstaff with weapon finesse since then both ends count as separate weapons (and they may be considered light).

- Giacomo

It does not make the weapon light.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability.

Yvian
2008-03-15, 08:27 AM
A quarterstaff is not a light weapon. It is not one of the exceptions that are listed in the finesses feat. Thus, you can not finesses it. I might argue that ruling because I think that using a quarterstaff requires more skill than power, and I might house rule it in. But that is just me.

You can use a quarterstaff as a two handed weapon and strike with one end. Treat it as a large weapon for Power Attacks, STR Damage, tripping, etc.

You can use the quarterstaff for TWF. Treat one end as a medium weapon and the other as a light weapon for Power Attacks, STR Damage, tripping etc. Mind you that the size does not change [of course]. The real impact is that you are changing grip, and thus changing the leverage and speed of the weapon.

Even if I were to house rule in a quarterstaff as a weapon that could be finessed, I would still treat TWF as a medium/light combo.

Curmudgeon
2008-03-15, 01:48 PM
Even if I were to house rule in a quarterstaff as a weapon that could be finessed, I would still treat TWF as a medium/light combo. You must be having a 3.0 rules flashback. You mean "one-handed" here, of course.
A quarterstaff is a double weapon. You can fight with it as if fighting with two weapons, but if you do, you incur all the normal attack penalties associated with fighting with two weapons, just as if you were using a one-handed weapon and a light weapon.

Charity
2008-03-15, 03:15 PM
Bah, just get a favourable house rule, it's hardly a stretch of the imaginaton to allow finesse for quarterstaffs.