PDA

View Full Version : A question about Warforged "composite plating"

Crazy Scot
2008-03-15, 02:31 AM
My question is about the racial ability of the Warforged called "composite plating". It says that it provides an armor bonus to AC, doesn't stack with other armor bonuses except natural armor bonuses, and occupies the same space on the body as a suit of armor or robe. It can also be enhanced like armor, and even causes arcane spell failure. Under the arcane spell failure paragraph, it says "Any class ability that alllows a warforged to ignore the arcane spell failure for light armor lets him ignore this penalty as well."

So my question: does a warforged's "composite plating" count as light armor in respect to all class abilities?

For instance, if you look in Races of Eberron p.23, under the "monk" heading, it says "Monks do not normally wear armor, so the armor bonus inherent to the race is a great advantage." In the paragraph it does not state that you need to take the Unarmored Body feat to qualify for the abilities. Does this mean that it does not count as light armor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but as I read the different sections, the only mention of light armor is for the arcane spell failure section and nowhere else. Am I right in assuming that it is not considered light armor?

Nebo_
2008-03-15, 02:34 AM
You are not considered to be wearing armour.

Kyeudo
2008-03-15, 02:35 AM
A Warforged's composite plating is not light armor. It's like a Warforged's skin. Feats that alter that plating state what category they change the plating to fall into, but the basic plating is not armor, even though it gives an armor bonus.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-15, 02:39 AM
composite plating is armor-that's-not-really-armor-but-looks-smells-tastes-and-feels-like-armor. So, no, it's not light. Which is a big advantage, especially since you can enchant it later for some REAL armor bonuses, even as a monk.

Also, if you plan on playing a monk warforged, I cannot recommend the battlefist strongly enough. Upping your effective size for unarmed strikes and even being enchantable, it's AMAZING on a monk.