PDA

View Full Version : Best controller for SSB:B?

EllysW
2008-03-15, 08:06 AM
I hope this isn't a duplication of the main thread on the game; I didn't see this topic, but I didn't get all the way through, either.

I wondered what controllers people are using for Super Smash Brothers: Brawl, and what you think would be best. We have a variety of options: Four Wii remotes, two nunchuks, two classic controllers, and four GameCube controllers. Does anyone like the remote/nunchuk combo? Does it give you any advantages?

I'd like to hear what you're using.

Hzurr
2008-03-15, 09:56 AM
I'm currently using the nunchuck/remote combo, but that's because I don't have a game cube controller. Just using the remote felt a little awkward, and the left thumbstick placement on the classic controller feels wrong (I really wish I could map movement to the D-pad for the classic controller, but it doesn't give you that option.)

On a side note, I tried to see if I could map things to the guitar hero controller, but the game won't let you. It's a shame, because it would have been awesome...

AlterForm
2008-03-15, 10:29 AM
I prefer using a gamecube controller, but sometimes I have to settle for a wiimote+nunchuk when the wavebird is taken and we're having a large brawl.

I have to remember to try switching the bindings on the C and Z buttons on the nunchuk, though; I think it'll help since I'm always mixing them up. :smalltongue:

Darth Mario
2008-03-15, 10:57 AM
I use GC controllers. I owned 4 wireless ones from back in the days of Melee (a week ago, basically), and it just felt like the smoothest transition from game to game if I didn't have to relearn the controls.

At the midnight release tournament I went to, the GameStop people made us use Wiimotes, which I directly blame for my loss to a guy playing Peach.

Hermit
2008-03-15, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I stick with the trusty old Wavebird myself. I've also still got three wired GC controllers from my Cube, so four player is easily done. A couple of them are looking a bit worse for wear these days though, Nintendo need to put out some new GCN controllers since their products are using them again (MK Wii is too I believe).

Eita
2008-03-15, 12:16 PM
Gamecube controller. It is far and away much easier then the Wiimote.

Xefas
2008-03-15, 12:28 PM
I'll just say this..."Using the Wiimote" has become a satirical notion among my group, to which the result is most often uproarious laughter.

It's generally used when someone asks a really obvious question, such as:
1: "Alright, cut the pizza."
2: "Ah, I should use a knife, I guess?"
1: "Hah, or you could use the Wiimote"

1: "Quick, someone open the door, my hands are full."
3: "One sec, I'll get it."
2: "Oh, you have your key on you?"
3: "No, I was planning on using the Wiimote"

Why would someone use the Wiimote when it's obviously easier to use the GameCube controller (or WaveBird)? The only reason would be if they found that it was more fun that way...but I've never found someone who thought it was more fun. Almost always, the event is met with dire oaths as to never attempt such a feat again, or at the very least, great frustration.

Icewalker
2008-03-15, 12:41 PM
Yeah, seems to me that everyone who has played Melee will go for a GC controller. I did.

Jibar
2008-03-15, 01:12 PM
On a side note, I tried to see if I could map things to the guitar hero controller, but the game won't let you. It's a shame, because it would have been awesome...

I can imagine playing as Captain Falcon with a Guitar hero controller and Mute City blaring in the background, that would be perfect.

Geno9999
2008-03-15, 02:07 PM
I prefer the Wiimote + nunchuck setup myself. Usually I use a custom setup for that, with the shake smash on. But the GC controller is easy to use after playing SSB Melee a lot.
Overall, I like the Wiimote and Nunchuck better. Easier to pull off smash attacks.

kuja.girl
2008-03-15, 02:25 PM
I have 4 GC controllers and 2 wii remotes+nunchuck combos but I've been doing very well with a classic remote myself.

The right joystick doubles as a smash-attack (like the c-buttons on the gc) on the classic controller and it's v. easy to use since the controls are similar to the GC controllers.

lol I noticed that all the EB/GameStops loaded up on game cube controllers before the release. I have all the controllers I need but cable extensions would be nice since all my friends are still using the GC controllers.

Gaelbert
2008-03-15, 02:29 PM
I still use my trusty wired Game Cube controller, the one with a little notch by the start button. I don't even want to use any other GC controlllers, I've got the timing down almost perfectly with mine. I've never considered using anything else.

...Eh?
2008-03-15, 02:46 PM
I haven't tried using the Gamecube controller, but using just the Wiimote can be a pain. The B button is really sensitive, so I end up accidentally sheilding a lot.

And a slightly related note, you can play Brawl with different controllers, right? (i.e., Player 1 uses the Wiimote, and Player 2 uses the Gamecube controller.) I only got the game yesterday night, so I haven't had time to invite someone over for multiplayer and test it out.

AlterForm
2008-03-15, 03:03 PM
Yep, you could use all 4 (GC controller, Wiimote+nunchuk, Wiimote, Classic Controller) at once if you liked. I'd give you +1 awesome points for doing it, too. :smallwink:

UglyPanda
2008-03-15, 03:23 PM
I dislike shake smash. The C stick already exists for that purpose. I've tried the other controllers, and the only one that actually feels comfortable is the Gamecube controller.

North
2008-03-16, 02:33 PM
Definitely the wireless gamecube controller.

Dihan
2008-03-16, 02:52 PM
I've gotten used to the wiimote and nunchuk now, with my own control set-up. I started using them when my friends were over, I only have two gamecube controllers and I offered to sacrifice some of my game for them... It didn't really affect me much though, I still won.

RTGoodman
2008-03-16, 11:52 PM
When I first started playing (my brother bought the game at midnight, and I played it the next morning when I was the only one awake in the house), I had no idea you could use alternate set-ups. I was so terrible with just the Wiimote that I considered giving up.

Later, I found out you could use other set-ups, and it was all better. For now I prefer the Wiimote + Nunchuck with the Shake Smash turned on. I like it, but I think the GC controller would probably be best (even though I don't own any). I never had a GC (my SSB experience was on the N64 and the few times I played Melee on friends' GCs), but I may pick up some of the wireless controllers for it if I can find them cheap.

Actually, after playing it so much, it'd be great if I could just find a way to use the Xbox 360 controller for the Wii. :smallbiggrin: I'm much better with that than any Wii set-up, and I think all the extra buttons would work well!

Dumbledore lives
2008-03-17, 12:30 AM

Me and my friends had Guitar Hero for the 360, and we tried using it for Halo 3, it automatically fired and you couldn't move at all, though you could turn around in a circle, it was brilliant fun.

Rogue 7
2008-03-17, 10:54 PM
'twas one of the better ideas Nintendo had for this game to let us use all 4 control styles. I'm a Gamecube controller person, but I tried the Wiimote and it wasn't horribly akward.

Felizginato12
2008-03-18, 09:54 PM
Being one who hasn't played Melee in a while and who sadly doesn't own a Wii yet I find it easier to use the good ol' Gcube controller. All the controlls are the same so it didn't take too long to get back in the groove of using Samus.

Btw...

Doesn't Samus really kick ass now? I think the only other character I like playing as much as I do Samus is Metaknight...then again most of my friends think i'm weird since one of my favorite character's is Mario.

Triaxx
2008-03-19, 04:55 AM
Metaknight is fun. I'm kind of enamoured of Pit at the moment. Of course it's only because I have another few weeks before I manage to unlock Falcon though.

On-topic, I like the Wiichuck, or the GC style best. I don't have a Classic controller, and the Wiimote alone doesn't seem to have enough buttons.

Albub
2008-03-19, 06:51 AM
Nunchick/remote combo for sure. I can sit on the middle of the couch, and knock the controllers out of the hands of both adjacent friends at the same time. That and I find it's much more comfortable than the anything else.

Haruki-kun
2008-03-23, 02:36 AM
I use the NGC controller for the most. However, I already tried using the Nunchuck and the Sideways controller. They're pretty good, simple, and easy to get used to.

I really think they all work fairly well.

Lord_Butters_I
2008-03-23, 12:22 PM
I pretty much just exclusively use the Xbox 360 controller. 3 good games does not make a good console.

The Extinguisher
2008-03-23, 12:23 PM
I use either the gamecube or the wiimote+nunchuck setup. I like the wiimote, but it's just hard to get used to.

Raroy
2008-03-23, 01:43 PM
The wiimote + nunchuck became second nature to me pretty quickly. It doesn't matter what I use.

I just use the GC controller so I don't waste any batterys.

Vespe Ratavo
2008-03-23, 04:00 PM
Personally I prefer the Gamecube controller, although I've tried the Wiimote and Wiimote + Nunchuck. They're not bad, but I'm still best with the Gamecube controller.

Neftren
2008-03-23, 04:33 PM
Go with the GameCube Controllers.

The only complaint I have with the WaveBird is the possible lag between the controller and the receiver. It's definitely noticeable when you're halfway across the room, although not so much at close range.

Thus, I prefer the wired controllers.

Randalor
2008-03-23, 11:50 PM
It's weird, but I find I do better overall when I use just the wiimote by itself. There's the occasional misfire with some of Jigglypuff's attacks, but overall, it just feels... right. Then again, I had been playing alot of old NES games before Brawl came out.

Mando Knight
2008-03-24, 08:35 PM
I've found that the Classic Controller is actually pretty good... though it takes some getting used to the relocation of some of the buttons--at first I couldn't use it well because of the A button being on the far right, where a Jump button used to be... I got the hang of it eventually, just changed up my grip a little and it was as natural as the GC controller, which I'm still good with thanks to its grips moving my hands into the proper positions.