PDA

View Full Version : 4E Monsters PDF!

Trog
2008-03-15, 01:09 PM
*shambles in using his At-Will shamble power*

Trog presents, for your viewing pleasure...

4th Edition monsters (http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/Monsters%20&%20More%20(4th%20Edition).pdf)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-15, 01:16 PM
Very interesting indeed. Thanks, Trog.

Attilargh
2008-03-15, 01:18 PM
Hmm, the very first monster is a stealthy aberration with tentacles. I think the "D&D is getting too anime" crowd might have a point.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-15, 01:20 PM
If you're pundering what I'm pundering, that kind of joke goes in the BoEF builds thread.

Starsinger
2008-03-15, 01:28 PM
Humans have an entry in the monster manual!

Edit: The significance of which, of course, means that like some of the anti-4e people have said, humans can no longer have class levels because they're now monsters and have totally different rules. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonmuncher
2008-03-15, 01:43 PM
Thoughts that come to mind as I read this:

What's this "recharge 5,6" I see on some abilities?

Also, I see that they clarify that one square= 5 feet.

"Reach" is only active on a character's turn. Interesting.

The "saving throws are straightforward" thing seems odd. The DC for everything is 10? That doesn't sound right. Unless, it seems like "saving throw" has a new meaning in 4e? It looks like it's just a roll to end an ongoing effect. Which sort of makes sense- many powers we've seen describe what happens if they "hit" or "miss." Since "missing" with a power in 4e is the same thing as making a save in 3.5 (because you're directly attacking the Fort save or whatever), it sort of makes sense.

Charging doesn't have an AC penalty anymore, but it only adds +1 to attack.

"Combat Advantage" is just a new name for flanking, or a few status effects. You get +2 to attack when you have it.

No more penalty for firing into melee

Beleriphon
2008-03-15, 01:53 PM
What's this "recharge 5,6" I see on some abilities?

From what we've gathered it means that that monster rollsa d6, on a 5 or a 6 it can use the ability again after using it the first time and subsequent time.

Koga
2008-03-15, 02:41 PM
The "saving throws are straightforward" thing seems odd. The DC for everything is 10?
Sortof. We don't roll will, reflex, or fortitude in 4th edition. From the looks of it it's almost as AC, a standard we have to meet.

If The Koga had a reflex of 27. And you were issuing a fireball or something. You would have to roll dice+modifier to meet my reflexes..

Here I thought criticals were going to be weak, but apparently not as weak as I thought. The skeleton I thought on a critical would deal 11 damage. But it says 1d8+11. Therefore it still does a die in damage, just maximum too.

If The Koga were to compare this to 3.5, a skeleton with a scmitar might be dealing 6 damage average on a critical (3x2). This skeleton is dealing on average 16 damage. (Though we can't rely on critical hits, so average speaking the 3.5 skeleton was dealing 3 damage and 4th edition will be dealing 9 damage) Though the boost in HP kindof subsides that extra damage though... I don't know if this HP increase applies to PCs, but I will assume it will. The only thing we have to go by is the rogue. Who in 3.5 with a ten con would have 30hp. In 3.5 has 36. Slightly more, but alot less scaling by high levels.

Overall I'd say it looks more powerful, not less, the skeletons bone shard burst is going to make any PC reconsider just blindly beating up the skeleton. If the cleric still has turn undead he'll need to use it right away.

And I'm guessing "level X" means what level of adventurer they are designed for.

Overall the system does look better. I don't know yet wether combat will be as intense as I want it to be. If it's not, I'll just rule zero internal damage. Seeing as there's no massive damage anyway...

Zincorium
2008-03-15, 03:01 PM
Hmm, the very first monster is a stealthy aberration with tentacles.

Which is also in the MM4 for 3.5.

I think the "D&D is getting too anime" crowd might have a point.

It's a giant tentacled thingy that lurks underground and eats magical items and the people who wear them. You could have popped this thing into a 1st edition dungeoncrawl and no one would have batted an eye.

Attilargh
2008-03-15, 03:13 PM
Hmm, what about magical people? Does it eat them as well?

Okay, okay, I'll stop now.

Morty
2008-03-15, 03:16 PM
Hm. So it looks like there's little to no difference between "monstrous" enemies and hostile NPCs, as they're all "level X NPC Class". I wonder if there'll be any enemies with PC classes(if there aren't, I'm going to put introduce them in my games anyway).
Also, notice how undead are now Unaligned instead of evil. Shame that goblinoids, gnolls and orcs are still Evil.

Learnedguy
2008-03-15, 03:32 PM
Now now, there are some pretty sweet stuff from anime too. Not all action sequences are made up by two blond men screaming at each other:smalltongue:

Anyway, I kinda like the tentacle monster. It's special abilities feels cool and refreshing:smallamused:

EvilElitest
2008-03-15, 03:45 PM
This is interesting, not on top right hand corner of each article. Level 2 Blaster, level 5 brute ect. Now in worlds and monsters they talks about how monsters are being separated in to category based on how they will fight the PCs (Brutes hit, Sneaks attack ect) but i didn't think they were being literal. So the NPC/PC class thing was right, PCs have real classes (Fighter, wizard, Thief ect) while Monsters have types (Brute, Elite, solider). With XP provied. Interesting
from
EE

Tren
2008-03-15, 03:46 PM
Hm. So it looks like there's little to no difference between "monstrous" enemies and hostile NPCs, as they're all "level X NPC Class". I wonder if there'll be any enemies with PC classes(if there aren't, I'm going to put introduce them in my games anyway).
Also, notice how undead are now Unaligned instead of evil. Shame that goblinoids, gnolls and orcs are still Evil.

They talk in Worlds and Monsters about trying to differentiate more between different types of undead, by making mindless undead like skellies unaligned because they have no souls, hence no capacity for good and evil just natural urges fueled by their animus.

TheThan
2008-03-15, 03:59 PM
I just skimmed through it and I like what I see, even though some of the entries I’ve never heard of before. Looks like fourth edition may let me down after all.

EvilElitest
2008-03-15, 04:00 PM
I just skimmed through it and I like what I see, even though some of the entries I’ve never heard of before. Looks like fourth edition may let me down after all.

wait, if you like what you see, how does it let you down? :smallconfused:
from
EE

Dhavaer
2008-03-15, 04:23 PM
I like the kobold minion.

HP A minion dies when hit by an attack that deals hp damage.

Indon
2008-03-15, 05:01 PM

One of the mobs listed is a "Dwarf Warlord", which is a PC class name at least. It doesn't look like its' actually using the Warlord class, though.

Also, I like the trap descriptions I see, very promising at first glance.

What I don't like is the defenses - there's just not much variance with most monsters. A couple even have nearly identical defenses.

The impact of attacks is about what I thought it would be, as well - the shadow mobs with death attacks need to hit with a melee attack, then the target gets a save, and if the target fails then they're vulnerable to the per-encounter death attack, which if it hits, it drops hp to zero.

The Choker has an interesting ability, at least, and there are a couple other abilities I kinda like.

Definitely a mixed bag for me, as with many prior 4.0 announcements.

AslanCross
2008-03-15, 05:32 PM
Ooh. Hobgoblin Warcaster is core.
Anyone notice how large the damage on some of the weapons was? The battleaxe on the orc deals 1d12, while the greataxe the bugbear headreaver carries deals 2d10.

EDIT: It was a "Large" Greataxe. Are we going back to weapon sizes like they were in 3.0?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-15, 05:33 PM
Hooray! Oversized Holy Symbol is now a usable weapon once more!

Come, brothers and sisters; let us beat the heathens over the head with our faith by beating them over the head with our faith.

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-15, 05:35 PM
Crushing Rock, lol!

I like how kobolds are shifty now. Also, it seems like crossbow reloading is no longer a problem?

Rutee
2008-03-15, 05:38 PM
Hooray! Oversized Holy Symbol is now a usable weapon once more!

Come, brothers and sisters; let us beat the heathens over the head with our faith by beating them over the head with out faith.

"Brothers and sisters of Peace, deploy Weapons of Benevolence!" God I love Nuklear Age.

Morty
2008-03-15, 05:53 PM
They talk in Worlds and Monsters about trying to differentiate more between different types of undead, by making mindless undead like skellies unaligned because they have no souls, hence no capacity for good and evil just natural urges fueled by their animus.

Well, it makes a lot of sense. Shame that they just had to arbitrary force evilness on humanoids, though.

Moff Chumley
2008-03-15, 05:55 PM
Chumley has a one track mind!

Dazed and Confused
Prerequisites: Trained in Preform, Dual Fighting III
Dazed and Confused: when one is dazed and confused at the same time for any reason, and is dual-wielding a guitar and a violin bow (treat both as clubs), they gain a +15 Bad-Ass bonus on all attack and damage rolls.

EvilElitest
2008-03-15, 08:08 PM
I still say nay to the monster class system
from
EE

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-15, 08:27 PM
from
EE

I like it. It already existed, anyway, just in a very silly way. Why would all outsiders have the same BAB, HD, saves, and other abilities? It makes sense to me.

Rutee
2008-03-15, 08:43 PM

I apologize for the late response, but there's a Dwarven Warlord in there. THough he seems to have fewer powers then a PC... hm. Odd.

I also had a CoV thought there, about turning the "Monster" Classes into a basis for PCs. But that probably wouldn't be that different..

Oslecamo
2008-03-15, 09:11 PM
Why do monsters get to be "brutes" and players don't? Not fair!

Rockphed
2008-03-15, 09:17 PM
from
EE

I beleive that it is a Monster Categorialization system rather than a class system. Monsters are given abilities appropriate for them to have. This will probably put a short term ding in the monster output of our wonderful homebrew forum, but after they figure out how to work it, I expect to be able to find anything I could ever want over there.

AslanCross
2008-03-15, 09:18 PM
from
EE

I like it more than measuring monsters by CR.

EvilElitest
2008-03-15, 09:27 PM
I beleive that it is a Monster Categorialization system rather than a class system. Monsters are given abilities appropriate for them to have. This will probably put a short term ding in the monster output of our wonderful homebrew forum, but after they figure out how to work it, I expect to be able to find anything I could ever want over there.

That is one possibility, but it still goes with the whole NPC/PC thing
from
EE

RTGoodman
2008-03-15, 09:29 PM
Hey, look! A Dragon with a 20 Dex! Shivering touch, be gone with ye!

I don't think I like the format (it seems a little cramped), but overall seems pretty good. I like the mix of critters (including my favorite undead, the Boneclaw!), and even the templated/classed critters, the worse part of MMIV, work here; I think it gives enough options that even pre-templated creatures work out (especially all the cool kobolds and hobgoblins).

Xefas
2008-03-15, 10:02 PM
I'm feeling something...something I haven't felt in a long time. I think...I think I'm going to be able to surprise my players again. When we first started playing back in 2nd edition, I could catch them off-guard with some funky critter they'd never heard of before, and the battle was fun on an extra layer as they tried to figure him out and win.

In 3rd edition, they had already become jaded. They knew what a Rust Monster was, they knew how to slay a Hydra, etc. It didn't help that most of the monsters they hadn't heard/fought against were same-old same-old except for some ability that would slaughter someone if they didn't know exactly how to counter it.

Players: Hey, what's that?
Bodak: DEATH BEAM!
Low Fortitude Characters: :smallfrown:

Players: Hey, is that a Succubus? Awesome.
Succubus: IMMUNE TO DAMAGE!
Anyone Who Relies on Dealing Damage to Function: :smallfrown:

Then I look at this new 4e Choker's abilities and I smile. Using the party's own fighter as a meatshield for itself? Sweeeet. And no funky firing into melee/concealment/grapple rules...just "Your my meatshield" "Okay", which will make it a lot easier on my players. I had all that stuff memorized well enough, but it would get to the point where people would choose to pass on their turn rather than have the whole thing recited to them (or look it up in the book).

And that level 4 Black Dragon...aw manz...I have to use that. Some how...some way...I have to use it. My entire 4th edition campaign's storyline might be based around that Dragon being the first boss, the why, the how, and the what it leads to.

Grey Watcher
2008-03-15, 10:07 PM
I agree, the layout is definitely a little on the dense side. I've been reading up on Fourth edition a lot, and I think I can figure out most of it, though it'll probably be a much easier when we can actually refer to the key in the Monster Manual.

And yeah, I'm under the impression that those aren't monster classes, they're the roles that each creature is designed to play in combat. So a Soldier sounds like its gonna be a good toe-to-toe creature, a Skirmisher simply means it's good at moving and striking.

And yeah, I think the Level entry is actually the equivalent 3e CR....

Kurald Galain
2008-03-15, 11:09 PM
This reads like an extended version of the boardgame, Descent: Journeys in the Dark - which is definitely a fun game with a shortage of monsters.

Behold_the_Void
2008-03-16, 01:03 AM
I like the stat blocks and I like how easy it is to figure out how to run the monsters with the stat blocks, as well as the roles for monsters, which helps the DM know how to use them. Looking good.

Mitxel
2008-03-16, 01:11 AM
Oh never mind, those are racial bonuses.

The Glyphstone
2008-03-16, 01:11 AM
I like it more than measuring monsters by CR.

But CR works good, and is effective at accurately judging the difficulty of an encounter...

What? Why is everybody laughing?

AslanCross
2008-03-16, 02:25 AM
But CR works good, and is effective at accurately judging the difficulty of an encounter...

Yes, of course. Not only was it inaccurate, it was cumbersome as well. "This monster's CR doesn't go up quickly when it's advanced by hit dice, despite its BAB increasing to unholy levels! This young adult red dragon has the same Challenge Rating as a 13th-level Monk!"

Oslecamo
2008-03-16, 05:09 AM
Yes, of course. Not only was it inaccurate, it was cumbersome as well. "This monster's CR doesn't go up quickly when it's advanced by hit dice, despite its BAB increasing to unholy levels! This young adult red dragon has the same Challenge Rating as a 13th-level Monk!"

Since the monk is suposed to have 13th level equipment, yes, your're right, the monk is far stronger than the red dragon, since it can pop up a candle of invocation every turn to summon solars and TPK the party.

Morty
2008-03-16, 06:26 AM
I apologize for the late response, but there's a Dwarven Warlord in there. THough he seems to have fewer powers then a PC... hm. Odd.

Seems to me he's just Warlord by the name, as he's still classified as 12th level Soldier with a Leader subtype.
I just hope there'll be stats for both monstrous races and NPC classes so that DMs might create humanoid enemies from scratch.

Oslecamo
2008-03-16, 06:36 AM
Seems to me he's just Warlord by the name, as he's still classified as 12th level Soldier with a Leader subtype.
I just hope there'll be stats for both monstrous races and NPC classes so that DMs might create humanoid enemies from scratch.

They clearly said that they wanted to avoid DMs creating monsters from scratch. Monsters and players are two completely diferent breeds now. That's why you get monsters with jobs included.

Anyway, if they published rules for creating monsters from scratch, in about 1 week players would find some broken combination and blame wotc for making unbalanced material. Again.

What is confirmed is that there will be rules to improve already existing monsters and make them stronger.

Artemician
2008-03-16, 06:38 AM
You can, however, simply stat out a regular NPC character using PC rules and throw him at the PCs, just like in 3.5. Given that the CR system has been streamlined to one PC = one equavilent level monster, this is likely to be much easier and balanced.

Morty
2008-03-16, 06:42 AM
They clearly said that they wanted to avoid DMs creating monsters from scratch. Monsters and players are two completely diferent breeds now. That's why you get monsters with jobs included.

Anyway, if they published rules for creating monsters from scratch, in about 1 week players would find some broken combination and blame wotc for making unbalanced material. Again.

What is confirmed is that there will be rules to improve already existing monsters and make them stronger.

Monsters, maybe. But I don't think they're going to make creating NPCs from scratch impossible, and it's confirmed by the designers that gnolls, greenskins etc. are hostile NPCs now.

Oslecamo
2008-03-16, 08:47 AM
You can, however, simply stat out a regular NPC character using PC rules and throw him at the PCs, just like in 3.5. Given that the CR system has been streamlined to one PC = one equavilent level monster, this is likely to be much easier and balanced.

No you can't. For example, the level 1 monster human guard is considerably weaker than the 1st level fighter we saw.

The fighter had:
1-More AC.
2-More damage, altough a slightly less attack bonus.
3-More choices of what to do.
4-The daily power, wich is quite strong.
5-Healing surges and second wind. As a swift action to boost.
6-Better batlefield control.

A 4e party is suposed to ecounter 4 lv1 monsters and trample over them like they are a bump on the road.

However if you throw them 4 lv1 characters then it will be a bloodbath because the NPCs will have all their daily powers and healing surges available to them and they don't have reasons to hold them back.

In 3e, being lv X meant you had 50% chance of defeating an equal number of monsters of CR X.

In 4e, being level X means you'll win whitout much trouble against an equal number of nonelite nonsolo monsters of lv X.

EDIT:Well, you could use PC levels to build a boss battle allright.

Rutee
2008-03-16, 09:17 AM
Monsters, maybe. But I don't think they're going to make creating NPCs from scratch impossible, and it's confirmed by the designers that gnolls, greenskins etc. are hostile NPCs now.

Eh? No, no, they clearly said in the podcast on monsters that they want it to be /easy/ to design monsters from scratch. That was the whole point to overhauling the monster system.

Indon
2008-03-16, 09:44 AM
Eh? No, no, they clearly said in the podcast on monsters that they want it to be /easy/ to design monsters from scratch. That was the whole point to overhauling the monster system.

And it's been noted (in the ain't it cool news review) that monsters run on a very simple system - For example, a monster of a specific level is intended to deal a specified amount of damage, you as DM have a choice as to what damage dice to use to get it there - so for instance, if the monster is designed to deal 10 damage a round, you could give it a 2d4+5 attack, a 2d8+1 attack, or a 1d4+3 standard and 1d8 minor attack.

I doubt abilities like the Choker's will be included in the monster creation system, however, so I'm rather skeptical on its' actual usefulness for DMs.

Edit: And the level X system is a CR system with a different name. It'll (hopefully) work better because the system has less variance in creature abilities (like that 'death gaze', as opposed to things like Slay Living in 3.x which is much less predictable in an encounter) and less significant weaknesses (so you won't get creatures which are cakewalks for certain parties but very difficult for others because different parties target different defenses).

Rutee
2008-03-16, 09:56 AM
I doubt abilities like the Choker's will be included in the monster creation system, however, so I'm rather skeptical on its' actual usefulness for DMs.
That's pretty much the trick, yeah. I think they're cognizant of the fact that ability creation will be key, since they've invested so much in making abilities a central focus of the system. Still, I do wonder how they'll handle that.

Edit: And the level X system is a CR system with a different name. It'll (hopefully) work better because the system has less variance in creature abilities (like that 'death gaze', as opposed to things like Slay Living in 3.x which is much less predictable in an encounter) and less significant weaknesses (so you won't get creatures which are cakewalks for certain parties but very difficult for others because different parties target different defenses).

I think the point of contention is that the Level system is /useful/, which CRs aren't.. :P

Kurald Galain
2008-03-16, 09:57 AM
And it's been noted (in the ain't it cool news review) that monsters run on a very simple system - For example, a monster of a specific level is intended to deal a specified amount of damage, you as DM have a choice as to what damage dice to use to get it there
That essentially means that creating a new monster is easy as long as the new monster is really a copy of an existing monster with new names tacked on.

Morty
2008-03-16, 09:59 AM
That essentially means that creating a new monster is easy as long as the new monster is really a copy of an existing monster with new names tacked on.

Or that monster is a member of existing humanoid race, like a goblin, gnoll or orc.

Rutee
2008-03-16, 10:01 AM
Bear in mind they have great material to work with. Offhand, MnM 2e is printed under the OGL License, which if they so wish, means Wizards can use any aspect of their mechanics they please :P

Indon
2008-03-16, 10:07 AM
I noticed something else about near the end - how to die!

You die one of two ways, apparently:

-Upon dying, roll under 10 three times.
-Get dropped to -50% health.

This confirms something I've suspected for a while - coup de grace is not meant to be a viable combat action.

Rutee
2008-03-16, 10:10 AM
That particular tidbit is old news, yes. Was it a viable combat option in 3e? I never saw a particular purpose unless you're fighting a particular heal-happy enemy group.

Indon
2008-03-16, 10:19 AM
That particular tidbit is old news, yes. Was it a viable combat option in 3e? I never saw a particular purpose unless you're fighting a particular heal-happy enemy group.

On the one hand, it provoked an attack of opportunity. On the other hand, it worked when you needed it, and dealing an extra 50% of a PC's health seems a prohibitively great challenge, requiring the majority of the resources for an encounter to be dedicated directly to hacking at someone who's already on the ground - but might get back up if the Cleric uses his daily power or something.

And I've been in heal-happy groups before. The DM says, "The Fighter goes under for damage," and the Bard or someone drags him to the back lines, gives him a potion, drops a CLW spell or something on him, and he charges right back.

One fight, I think my character revived someone three times.

Another thing I'm interested about is stabilization. Maybe since these are the simplified rules for the D&D experience expo, they don't include everything, but I think that the only option being to go from "eventual death" to "up and fighting" is kind of... eh.

Rutee
2008-03-16, 10:32 AM
...You specifically want to Coup de Grace PCs? Sadist =/

Maybe there needs to be a way to definitely remove PCs from a fight, without a Save-or-Lose, without killing them or making an ordeal of the affair. I mean, in 3e, killing them was not the most guaranteed method, since there was.. Revivify was it?

Indon
2008-03-16, 10:33 AM
...You specifically want to Coup de Grace PCs?

Mmmmmaaaaaayyyyybeee.

Trog
2008-03-16, 10:52 AM
A couple of notes:

For those of you concerned with the layout (believe me I'm among them. I do this stuff for a living and a proper font size to leading ratio as well as bolding for headings and such is necessary and not used to the best ability o the PDF. Nonetheless I am grateful for its existence.) this is actually NOT the final layout. This PDF was the culmination of tons of geeks with spycams taking shots of 4e sheets. At the DnD Experience, from the new mini cards, from shots of the actual product. These were then transcribed into posts and then complied into a loose approximation of the layout style. From the pictures (http://flickr.com/photos/mikeshea/2300560113/in/set-72157604010418608/) it looks better in the final book.

Also, here are the useful rules gleaned out of the Mini Handbook and from various posts:

Opportunity Attacks
A basic attack against an adjacent enemy .
• Moving out of a square adjacent to an enemy. Special types of
movements do not apply, such as push/pull and slide, and effects that use
the word “place”
• One Per Turn: There is no limit on the amount of opportunity attacks
you get a round but you only get 1 per given creatures turn.
• Timing: Opportunity attacks occur BEFORE the action/movement that
triggered them.
• Cover in Melee: Melee cover does not prevent them.

Attack Modifiers
Special situations that modify a creatures attack rolls .
• Attacker charges +1 to attack
• Attacker has combat advantage +2 to attack
• Defender helpless Auto melee crit/+4 ranged attack normal damage
• Defender has cover -2 attack
• Attacker is unable to see defender Defender is invisible for that attack

Effects and Conditions
ongoing effects from attacks or special abilities .
• Duration: unless otherwise stated effects and conditions last until the
end of the effected creatures next turn.
• Until end of player’s next turn: The effect expires after the controlling
player has completed his next turn.
• Until end of round: The effect expires at the end of the round, before
initiative is checked again.
• Until end of battle: The effect continues to the end of battle.
• (Save ends): The effect continues until the target makes a successful
saving throw.

Standard Conditions
Many effects produce a number of standard conditions that are not described in detail on the stat cards.
• Dazed: A Dazed creature grants combat advantage to all attackers,
cannot flank enemies, and can act only on its own turn. It cannot
make opportunity attacks or use immediate actions.
• Staggered: As Dazed, AND the staggered creature cannot take actions other than basic attacks.
• Stunned: As Dazed, AND the stunned creature can take no actions. A
Stunned creature is inactive.
• Helpless: As Stunned, AND melee attacks against the creature are
automatic critical hits; all other attacks get a +4 bonus. A helpless
creature is inactive.
• Immobilized: An Immobilized creature cannot move on its own but can otherwise act normally. )It is still subject to effects that push, pull or
otherwise transport it). An immobilized creature’s speed is 0.
• Confused: A confused creature acts randomly, Roll 1d20 and consult the table below.

d20 roll Result
1-5 Controlled by its player
6-15 Takes no action .
16-20 Controlled by opponent

A confused creature can make only basic attacks and cannot use special
powers.
• Enervated: An Enervated creature’s attacks deal half damage.
• Slowed: A Slowed creatures speed is reduced to 2.
• Invisible: Other creatures do not have line of sight on this creature. It cannot be targeted by ranged attacks. This creature gains conceal 11
against attackers that can not see it and +2 attack against defenders that
that can not see it. An enemy cannot make opportunity attacks against an
invisible creature.
• Saving Throw: Conditions and ongoing effects sometimes allow a saving throw to remove them. Such effects state “save ends” in the text. .
A saving throw is made at the end of the effected creatures turn. A creature affected by more than one effect that allows a save may attempt a saving
throw against each such effect.

A saving throw is a d20 roll with no modifiers, Consult the table below.

d20 Roll Result:
1-9 Effect continues.
10-19 Effect ends.
20 All effects that allow a save end.

• Combat Advantage: When making an attack, a creature gets +2 bonus on the attack roll if it has combat advantage against the target.
An attacking creature can get combat advantage in a number of situations
• It is invisible to the target.
• It is flanking the target.
• The target is affected by a condition that grants combat advantage.

Complex Actions:
Some actions do not fit into the standard attack pattern. .
• Trip & Disarm: Trip and Disarm are no longer normal combat maneuvers. In order to attempt either, you're going to need some sort of power or class ability.
• Bull Rush: To initiate a bull rush, you need to make a Strength Check vs. the target's Fortitude Defense. This does not provoke an Opportunity Attack (formerly AoO). If you succeed, you may push the target 1 space. The margin of success doesn't matter, and 1 space is the maximum that a target can be moved with Bull Rush (without taking special abilities).
• Push, Pull, & Slide: These are the methods by which you move a target in 4e. You can push a target forward, diagonally forward or to the side. You can pull a target towards you, diagonally towards you, or to the side. And you can slide a target in any direction.
• Grapple: You can attempt a grapple check with anything that is within 1 size category of you. To initiate, you make a Strength Check vs. ReflexDefense. This also doesn't provoke an Opportunity Attack. If you fail,
nothing happens. If you succeed, you cause your target to be "Immobilized"
for one round. The target can escape his immobilized condition using an Acrobatics or Athletics check. You may move the target 1 square by
succeeding on an additional grapple check in the following round.
• Immobilized: Deciding to immobilize a target is essentially like a PC
deciding that he would like to spend his combat rounds as a Tanglefoot bag.
An immobilized target can still attack normally, but cannot move. Foes
around an immobilized target receive Combat Advantage against him.
• Full Defense: You don't take any actions, but you get a +2 to all defense scores until the start of your next turn. As far as we can tell, there's no rule yet for fighting defensively.

YPU
2008-03-16, 02:31 PM
in the end of the document is also a link to a file with pregen PC's, did we already have a topic around to discus those?

EvilElitest
2008-03-16, 02:36 PM

yeah it was like diplomacy, a well ordered logical and well rounded system that makes perfect sense both in world and out. No it isn't overpowered and absurd, what are you talking about
from
EE