PDA

View Full Version : Mage Slayer

Everyman
2008-03-15, 02:31 PM
If you all wouldn't mind, I'd like some outside interpretation of the following two feats...

1) Mage Slayer (and its tree of feats): Can they reduce your caster level to 0? If so, does that mean that you can't cast magic? My gut feeling about this is a resounding "Yep", but I thought I'd ask some of you folk.

2) Pierce Magical Protection: Does the ability to "pierce" magical bonuses to Armor Class apply to enhancements to armor or bonuses granted by a magic item (such as amulet of natural armor or ring of deflection)? If so, what exactly happens when you "dispel" that protection with the feat? I'm torn here. RAW, I don't believe this feat allows one to ignore enhancements to armor or shields or items like rings of protection. However, I think it makes perfect sense to allow that. If someone were to dispel the "magic", I'd treat it as a suppression effect (lasting 1d4 rounds, per the Dispel Magic spell).

What do you think?

turtlemonkey
2008-03-15, 03:38 PM
1. well strict reading it just lowers your caster level... now what that has as far as effect on spells depends on the spell cast. cast mage armor, well you have +4 ac for -X hours. so essentially no effect.

strict reading of magic missle. you just cast a 1d4+1 dmg missle.
identify- works completely fine.

thats strict reading btw, though youd probably be fine to rule that you cant cast spells... also remember there are tiems/feats out there that can help bring your caster level up (practiced spell caster, ion stone, etc).

2) peirce magical protection is by anything that is from a spell, including spell completion or spell trigger items (ie potions and wands).

bracers of armor- not spell completion or spell trigger, still factors in
wand of mage armor- falls under this category and is ignored
potion of bark skin- falls under this cateogry and is ignored

a basic rule of thumb, if you were to hit them with a target dispel magic, would this be something that could potentally be dispelled? (yes you can target specific items, but you have to SPECIFICALLY target a characters item, a targeted dispel magic does not surpress any magic items). if it could then peirce magical protection can ignore it.

permant items- still factored in
can be completly dispelled- ignore it and dispel that shiz nit

Starbuck_II
2008-03-15, 06:22 PM
If you all wouldn't mind, I'd like some outside interpretation of the following two feats...

1) Mage Slayer (and its tree of feats): Can they reduce your caster level to 0? If so, does that mean that you can't cast magic? My gut feeling about this is a resounding "Yep", but I thought I'd ask some of you folk.

It says in the magic section you can't cast a spell below the minimum caster level. So no caster 3 Fireballs allowed. So can't cast it: pg 171 confirms this in PHB.

Nebo_
2008-03-15, 06:29 PM
1) Yes
2) No

turtlemonkey
2008-03-15, 10:07 PM
ah never saw that in PHB, huh, makes a whole lotta sense, but ya.