PDA

View Full Version : Is there any hope for Solt Luryurg?

Remirach
2008-03-15, 04:10 PM
My impression at the end of #539 is that Haley should take his corpse with her and attempt to get a resurrection for him too. The teammate SHE was in charge of murdered him in cold blood with no provocation.

Mind, I don't blame her for Belkar's actions, but she is technically responsible for him. But do you think that will make Haley feel obligated to Raise the gnome, or will they just leave him behind and do nothing?

FujinAkari
2008-03-15, 04:18 PM
They don't have the resources to raise Roy... the gnome would be a stretch

mockingbyrd7
2008-03-15, 04:39 PM
It wouldn't hurt them to at least try to get him raised. What do they have to lose?

Of course, it could turn into a plotline where they find a cleric who only has the resources for one resurrection spell and resurrects the gnome before they tell him to raise Roy first. :smallamused:

Demented
2008-03-15, 05:22 PM
Better to carry his corpse along for burial with family.
They do have a +5 Air Freshener of Freshness. It can handle two bodies.

Of course, should they meet said family, Belkar may well end up hanged. Then again, maybe the gnomes are like the Amish. Doesn't matter what you do, they'll forgive ya.

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-03-15, 06:30 PM
Better to carry his corpse along for burial with family.
They do have a +5 Air Freshener of Freshness. It can handle two bodies.

Of course, should they meet said family, Belkar may well end up hanged. Then again, maybe the gnomes are like the Amish. Doesn't matter what you do, they'll forgive ya.

Unless a Harrison Ford psuedo-Amish gnome happens to be in the area at the time. Then Belkar might be in trouble.

But yes, I'd prefer they didn't just leave him by the side of the road.

Deathwisher
2008-03-15, 06:35 PM
They don't have the resources to raise Roy... the gnome would be a stretch

They could always ask to Tsukiko to 'raise' the gnome.:smallbiggrin: I'm sure she'd be more than willing to help.

Forealms
2008-03-15, 07:13 PM
I highly doubt it. If they raise him (or have the intent to) there's the possibility that 1) He won't forgive Belkar, 2) Belkar will kill him again, and 3) He'll want his mule back. So, I doubt it. Solt is dead and gone as far as I'm concerned.

SPoD
2008-03-15, 07:19 PM
Mind, I don't blame her for Belkar's actions, but she is technically responsible for him.

Putting oneself out because you might be "technically responsible" for something someone else does is a very Lawful point-of-view. I fully expect Haley to gripe about it for a few minutes, then take the donkey and keep walking. She worries too much about her own actions to have time to stress out over whether she is responsible for Belkar's.

Theodoriph
2008-03-15, 07:48 PM
Yeah...Haley's not lawful, nor is she in the military, nor does she have any young children. The only person she's "technically reponsible" for is herself.

Remirach
2008-03-15, 08:26 PM
Putting oneself out because you might be "technically responsible" for something someone else does is a very Lawful point-of-view. I fully expect Haley to gripe about it for a few minutes, then take the donkey and keep walking. She worries too much about her own actions to have time to stress out over whether she is responsible for Belkar's.
That's a good point regarding how "responsible" she is, but even if guilt on Belkar's behalf wouldn't move her feet, she'd seriously leave him behind? That strikes me as more like "neutral" on the Good-Evil axis, and a totally wasted opportunity for her to take the high ground in righting a wrong even under adverse circumstances.

And surely she'd at least bury him? Or do they fear the hobgoblins are on their trail? Or is that strictly Lawful behavior, too?

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-03-15, 10:39 PM
I highly doubt it. If they raise him (or have the intent to) there's the possibility that 1) He won't forgive Belkar, 2) Belkar will kill him again, and 3) He'll want his mule back. So, I doubt it. Solt is dead and gone as far as I'm concerned.

Well, their probably wouldn't be any raising going on till Cliffport anyway, so after that they might not need the mule, Belkar wouldn't be able to cause lethal damage...

And as sorry as I feel for poor Solt what can he really do even if he doesn't forgive Belkar? A whole lot of not much, considering how easily Belkar killed him last time.

FoE
2008-03-15, 10:43 PM
It's just one frickin' gnome. Geez. You guys act as if no adventuring party in the history of D&D ever killed someone because they wanted his stuff.

slayerx
2008-03-15, 10:46 PM
It wouldn't hurt them to at least try to get him raised. What do they have to lose?

About 5,000gp in diamonds...

factotum
2008-03-16, 02:04 AM

Exactly. They're going to have enough difficulty finding the 10,000 gp of diamonds they need to get Roy raised.

David Argall
2008-03-16, 02:41 AM

Probably 10,000 gp. Raise dead needs to be done within about 2 weeks and they are presumably about 2 months from the needed cleric.

Still Haley should try to do it. Practically, she can't avoid Belkar's presence and any attempt to kill him is highly dangerous. So about her only moral option is to try to limit future sins and correcting past ones as best she can.
Which means...
She will be taking the body into a village of gnomes who will be very upset about the whole thing. and Belkar will blame her for the whole thing.

holywhippet
2008-03-16, 03:33 AM
If they can locate a druid en route within a week, they might be able to afford 1000 gold for a reincarnate spell. Exactly what he'd come back as is up to the whims of the gods of course.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-16, 04:36 AM
Also, there's a chance he may not want to come back for some reason, so it could be a waste of resources to try unless they know for certain (If I'm honest, I wouldn't come back if I was only on level 1 due to hating the idea of perminantly losing 2 Con points forever due to how I'd just be easier to kill again. At least levels can be regained after your revived. Also, he may just be too happy in whatever afterlife he earned to want to be revived). Also, FoE, assuming that it isn;t an evil campaign and the DM is any good, there should be valid reasons for killing people rather then just wanting their things.

Deathwisher
2008-03-16, 01:29 PM
Also, there's a chance he may not want to come back for some reason, so it could be a waste of resources to try unless they know for certain (If I'm honest, I wouldn't come back if I was only on level 1 due to hating the idea of perminantly losing 2 Con points forever due to how I'd just be easier to kill again. At least levels can be regained after your revived. Also, he may just be too happy in whatever afterlife he earned to want to be revived). Also, FoE, assuming that it isn;t an evil campaign and the DM is any good, there should be valid reasons for killing people rather then just wanting their things.

Interesting point. If he really preferes the afterlife, would that mean, that Belkar accidentally did a good thing? Poor Belkar is going to be so angry when he finds out.....

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-16, 01:31 PM
I know what you mean (admittedly, I tend to have trouble with the idea that killing good people is evil in D&D considering how great the aterlifes are).

The March Rider
2008-03-16, 01:51 PM
My impression at the end of #539 is that Haley should take his corpse with her and attempt to get a resurrection for him too. The teammate SHE was in charge of murdered him in cold blood with no provocation.

That was pretty much my thought as well ...oh and charge Belkar the 5000gp for it.

Dave Rapp
2008-03-16, 02:06 PM
They are on something of a time table here. Every minute they waste is another minute of Azure city suffering. If they stop to burry the Gnome, they'd just be wasting more time. And if they spend the extra time trying to rez a random and basically usless Gnome, that's even more suffering. No, for the greater good it would be a better idea to just leave him there.

Considering how many people Belkar must randomly kill, I'm sure they realized a long time ago that if they stopped for every random dead NPC they'd get nowhere.

It's just one frickin' gnome. Geez. You guys act as if no adventuring party in the history of D&D ever killed someone because they wanted his stuff.

Best. Post. Ever.

Gryndel
2008-03-16, 02:53 PM
Yeah, a grand point FoE. Even good guys do that kind of stuff sometimes, though usually for something more than a mule.

OverWilliam
2008-03-16, 03:01 PM
He's dead, Jim.

You know how it goes with these Red Caps. Seriously, we lose more of those guys per story arc...

Hoplite
2008-03-16, 05:12 PM
I hope he returns. I rather liked the gnome...

slayerx
2008-03-16, 05:35 PM
Exactly. They're going to have enough difficulty finding the 10,000 gp of diamonds they need to get Roy raised.

that depends on when they want raise roy... if they want to wait till they meet up with Durkon, then they may not need any money... Knowing how stuff like this happens, Durkon probably has a diamond or two with him in case of an emergency (he was planning on raising Roy the next day). afterall, earlier they were talking about adventuring to cover the costs of hiring a caster to scry/message the rest of the order, not to resurrect Roy right away... though that's all questionable as V once pointed out that Durkon does not have a 5,000gp diamond on hand... either he got one after that, or he was gonna get a loan from Hinjo... in which case they may need the money

Syraider
2008-03-16, 07:16 PM
this is cool xD

John Campbell
2008-03-16, 08:02 PM
If they can locate a druid en route within a week, they might be able to afford 1000 gold for a reincarnate spell. Exactly what he'd come back as is up to the whims of the gods of course.

Probably a tiefling or dragonborn.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-17, 03:52 AM
Durkon commented that he didn't prepare Raise Dead due to it being hard to cast during a battle (it has a casting time of 10 minutes), so that could be taken as evidence that he got some diamonds since the trial.

Nevar K'calb
2008-03-17, 04:45 AM
Mountain, meet mole hill.