PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac In D20 Modern

JackTR69
2008-03-15, 06:25 PM
I'm working on creating a d20 modern world that uses the zodiac to add some magic to the world. The general idea is to have every character have a zodiac symbol, which gives them bonuses to different skills (+2 bonus). Then also have each zodiac symbol be aligned with a different element (fire water air and earth) which give them a different set of spells to choose from. At earlier levels the spells would have little effect, building to be more powerful at higher levels. Each zodiac symbol would also effect a stat (+2 bonus). I don't care much about how this effects the game world in terms of balance, I just want to get some input on how other people would do this.

Blackadder
2008-03-15, 08:31 PM
I'm working on creating a d20 modern world that uses the zodiac to add some magic to the world. The general idea is to have every character have a zodiac symbol, which gives them bonuses to different skills (+2 bonus). Then also have each zodiac symbol be aligned with a different element (fire water air and earth) which give them a different set of spells to choose from. At earlier levels the spells would have little effect, building to be more powerful at higher levels. Each zodiac symbol would also effect a stat (+2 bonus). I don't care much about how this effects the game world in terms of balance, I just want to get some input on how other people would do this.

Here's an idea for you, "borrow" Morrowind's birthsigns which already did this(IE turning the Zodiac into signs and assigning them bonuses)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Birthsigns

And here's the actual Zodiac.
Aries (0°) (The Ram)

Taurus (30°) (The Bull)

Gemini (60°) (The Twins)

Cancer (90°) (The Crab)

Leo (120°) (The Lion)

Virgo (150°) (The Virgin)

Libra (180°) (The Scale)

Scorpio (210°) (The Scorpion)

Sagittarius (240°) (The Centaur)

Capricorn (270°) (The Sea-goat)

Aquarius (300°) (The Pitcher)

Pisces (330°) (The Fish)

Darkkwalker
2008-03-15, 08:49 PM
I feel the need to point out that there is currently, ie: In modern times, a 13th sign of the zodiac. (zodiac constellations = constellations that fall on the ecliptic, or where the path the sun takes through the sky).

13th constellation = Ophiuchus, The serpent holder

Though this is purely in the realm of astronomy and not part of the astrological aspect. So do what you will with this information.

Pie Guy
2008-03-15, 10:02 PM
So this thread isn't about the 1960's zodiac serial killer?

Demons_eye
2008-03-16, 01:59 AM
Dark that sign has been used but its not, oh whats the word, its not savey? No... Not tradtional? maybe....

Demons_eye
2008-03-16, 02:01 AM
Also the chinese zodiac has 12 signs and an element to match. Tho they go by years.

JackTR69
2008-03-16, 04:18 PM
Yeah, what I'm planning on doing is using the zodiac blackadder posted above, except applying elements to it. What would people think of the stat and skill bonuses that you would get based on your zodiac? And what do people think about rolling to determine your zodiac instead of selecting it?