PDA

View Full Version : Two useful notes about posting lag

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-15, 07:55 PM
Two things I, as a user, noticed and wanted to make my fellow forumers aware of, to avoid the massive spams of multiposting that happen during forum lag.

1) Don't just hit refresh if the forums doesn't go anywhere after you post. This forum almost always hangs on redirecting back to the thread, not the actual Post command. If your browser isn't going anywhere ten seconds or so after you hit "Submit" (triple that if you're on dialup, just to be safe), copy your post to the clipboard (select the text and Ctrl+C or Apple+C), then
Stop your browser
Navigate back to the thread manually (click the name of the thread immediately above the editor box) and see if your post went through.
By doing this instead of refreshing, you won't just resubmit your post eleventy billion times as you frustratedly hit the refresh button. And if your post didn't go through, you can just click back to the New Post page and hit submit again, repeating this step until it does go through. If your browser ate the text when you click back, just Paste it back in, since you copied it to your clipboard earlier, right?
2) If you don't do the first one, you can delete posts (unless they're the first post in the thread...there may be some parts of the PbP forums where its not an option as well). It's at the top of the Edit page, can't miss it.

Anyway, just thought I could help avoid some frustration and clutter by sharing my technique.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-03-15, 09:40 PM
(select the text and Ctrl+C or Apple+C)

Its proper name is the "Command" key, not "Apple." MacBooks (and possibly some other recent Macs) don't even have the Apple on the key anymore; now it's just the place of interest symbol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_John's_Arms) with the word "command."

Other than that, though, good advice.

Zeful
2008-03-15, 11:19 PM
Another thing to do is get in the habit of using the Ctrl+X (cut) and the Ctrl+V (paste) commands before posting instead of Ctrl+C (copy). This gives you proof that the text is in the clipboard so if the post doesn't go through you can edit or repost the information without rewriting it.

I do it, and I haven't lost a post in a long time.