PDA

View Full Version : A "Wild" Shield and Armor Enhancement

Crow
2008-03-16, 12:50 AM
My question is about the "Wild" enhancement in the SRD for armor and shields. If the hypertext version of the SRD or the DMG describes it differently, please let me know. In the downloaded version I have, it says;

Wild: The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.

Now it seems to imply that you can have this ability on a suit of armor or a shield, but only states that it preserves the armor bonus and enhancement bonus. Since shields give a shield bonus, is there no point to putting this ability on a shield? Or can you get the enhancement bonus but not the shield bonus from the shield?

I'm considering just houseruling it as preserving armor and shield bonuses plus their enhancements, as this seems to be the designer's intent.

sonofzeal
2008-03-16, 12:54 AM
I'm considering just houseruling it as preserving armor and shield bonuses plus their enhancements, as this seems to be the designer's intent.
Agreed. There's also a similar one (from.... Complete Divine, I believe?) that's much cheaper but costs you a second use of Wildshape to activate. Still worth it sometimes though, especially if you don't plan on changing forms much.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-16, 01:20 AM
Beastskin from complete adventurer is much better. One enhancement-tier lower, but you take armor check and all that stuff with you, though I doubt you'd really mind that much.

Lucyfur
2008-03-17, 08:29 AM
Beastskin Armor requires you to expend an extra wildshape use also. And doesn't let you use Wild Dragonscale Fullplate without the armor check penalties. I'd rather have wild myself. But you can get cheaper beastskin stuff earlier. Beastskin is also in the Magic Item Compendium.

I don't think a Wild shield is worth it anyway. Just use an animated shield.