PDA

View Full Version : Designing the next step. (My group, stay away)

Adumbration
2008-03-16, 03:53 AM
A while back I run the Dark and Stormy knight pre-made adventure. My group - this means you SoD - stop reading here.

So. To summarize the plot so far, our dear gestalt goblin-characters made it through. I modified the adventure so that there was a dark elf instead of two hobgoblins, and they managed to capture him alive - far too easily, I might add. The drow is a scout for a small, exiled dark elf party, who has come to the above ground to seek their fortunes. They are quite evil indeed, and have on their way up captured a svirfnebli (or dwarf, haven't decided yet) paladin (one of the characters wants to become a paladin, so yeah). The captured dark elf has managed to at least almost convince IC the characters that he is not evil, and of course, is now leading them into an ambush.

See the full story here: Linkie. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73624)

Now what I need help with is designing the dark elf encounter. We have a level 2 cleric//fighter, level 1 warmage//swashbuckler and a level 1 monk//rogue. The cleric//fighter managed to single-handedly defeat the spider that just happened to kill the bugbear zombie who had just knocked other party members unconcious.

How many dark elves should I throw against them? Should I give them class levels? Make them gestalt?

What about portals from the Underdark book? I intend for the svirfnebl paladin to take them to their city - after they have saved him and he has detected them as non-evil. This will be their base of operations in the future. How exactly do the portals work? I found the explanation a bit confusing in the book.

Talic
2008-03-16, 04:53 AM
Drow, by their nature, are generally pretty cutthroat. There probably aren't too many of 'em without Class levels.

4 Drow, all level 1, no gesthalt. Give them class levels, Elite Array, and call it a day.

Gesthalt is supposed to be a power boost, so up the DC a bit. Kick it up a notch. That said, the Gesthalt section specifically says that only major plot npc's should also be gesthalt.

Triaxx
2008-03-16, 06:08 AM
Assume an encounter level of about 1.5, since you have Four level 1 characters, and two level 2 characters. Unless someone has LA.