PDA

View Full Version : Up the Walls and Jumping

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-16, 07:59 AM
I may be playing a Soulknife with Up the Walls and awesome Jumping skills (in a campaign with all Jump DCs halved...) soon, and I'd like to check how the abilities interact. Can you run up a wall, Jump vertically upwards using the horizontal DCs and land on another, higher wall before geting to somewhere flat at the end of the turn?

Also, how incredibly cool would that look?:smalltongue:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-16, 08:09 AM
You can jump as part of normal movement, so if you've got enough Speed to manage it, I don't see why this wouldn't be possible in theory. I wouldn't let a player use the horizontal DC in place of the vertical DC, though, although I'd certainly allow moving up the wall in a straight line to count as a running start.

Hazkali
2008-03-16, 08:17 AM
IIRC, there are some wall-running Matrix-esque feats in Complete Scoundrel, however I don't have access to a copy at the moment to be able to check.

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-16, 08:40 AM
Couplete Scoundrel has skill tricks, like feats but they don't cost feats. I believe you have a limit to how far you can jump by your base movement. So running + jumping up a wall would have the same distance as simply moving up the wall. Moving up the wall and jumping away from it onto something else (like a ledge) would be really neat, that would require a double move though.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-16, 09:12 AM
The thing I was thinking of was if there was a gap in the wall- whether you could jump up to the next bit of wall.

Actually, jumping of walls is cool, too, and if you look at the Jump rules, "a jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action. If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump." That suggests you could run 20 feet up a wall and jump across to another ledge on the other side.

Hell yeah.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-16, 09:16 AM
That's how it works. If you're taking a double move, you've got 60 feet to cover; you can run up a wall for 10 feet, jump across the 15-foot wide street onto another wall (assuming the DM approves; it could be ruled that yo can't jump onto another wall and continue running because you're losing your momentum), run another 15 feet up that onto the roof, and then run 20 feet along the roof.

I'm not sure when you'd get a gap in a wall when running up it, though?

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-16, 09:22 AM
Speed of Thought helps- 40-foot move speed.

Gaps in walls- maybe open windows or something? Don't know...

senrath
2008-03-16, 11:02 AM
Personally, I'd rule that although you couldn't keep running up the wall after jumping, you could keep jumping up the wall, provided that you found purchase.

As for "gaps in the wall" that could be anything from, in my opinion, open windows, closed-but-thing-glassed windows, large cracks in the wall, and even something like a torch bracket (as long as you're not heavy enough to break it off the wall).

Ascension
2008-03-16, 11:20 AM
It's not quite what you want, but try combining the skill tricks Leaping Climber and Wall Jumper. Leaping Climber lets you make a vertical jump as if you have a running start (even if you don't) as a swift action, adding the resultant hight to the distance you can climb (basically, you jump onto the wall). You could then use your move action to climb up a little ways, and then you can trigger Wall Jumper with your remaining action... it says that if you've successfully climbed up or down a wall on this or your previous turn you can make a horizontal jump off of the wall as if you have a running start... so basically you end up ricocheting off the wall. Not especially practical, and hard to chain (unless you have enough time to wait after the initial jump onto the wall and you jump off in the subsequent round, using that round's swift action to trigger another leaping climber check on the opposite wall) because of the use of a swift action, but it gives amazing style points.

NullAshton
2008-03-16, 11:26 AM
You could do that with jumping and Up the Walls. Run along the wall, timing your jump so that you don't have enough movement to complete your turn with and you're in midair. Next turn, land on the other wall, and continue along your way. As you're not on a wall at the end of the turn, you never go prone.

Stylish way to attack a flying enemy. Run along the walls, jump and slash at the enemy in midair, then next round land on the other side of the room and repeat. Flying? Who needs to fly?

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-16, 11:35 AM
You know, the comment about flying has been made in the recruitment thread (it's for that Warlocks game, and Warlocks get flight).

Jumping past flying things? Cool. Would Spring Attack work with that, or is there another feat you'd need?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-16, 11:37 AM
Personally, I'd rule that although you couldn't keep running up the wall after jumping, you could keep jumping up the wall, provided that you found purchase.

As for "gaps in the wall" that could be anything from, in my opinion, open windows, closed-but-thing-glassed windows, large cracks in the wall, and even something like a torch bracket (as long as you're not heavy enough to break it off the wall).

Why would you jump over a window when you could move diagonally to get around it? That's 5 ft. of movement to move one square to the side and one forward, unless you have to do it multiple times during the round. (Unless it's one freaking huge window, in which case your odds of jumping high enough to clear it seem unlikely too.)

I'm pretty sure you can already keep jumping up a wall as long as you gain purchase, by the rules. (Unless there's something about more solid footing somewhere.) SRD says it's a move action and a DC 15 Climb check to pull yourself up after jumping and grabbing something, but if you're going to jump again you don't really need to pull yourself up. (Catching whatever you're grabbing at is automatic if you make the Jump check DC, apparently.) Make a Jump check to get upward, make a Climb check to catch and hold on to something, and repeat...

I'd definitely require Climb checks to catch on to and hang from cracks between bricks and the like, though. I don't see any reason to forbid this sort of movement - just control it with high check DCs. (DC 25 for brick walls, by the books. That's not quite easy, and a +5 or +10 to the DC for the whole jumping bit doesn't seem unreasonable.)

FlyMolo
2008-03-16, 11:46 AM
I may be playing a Soulknife with Up the Walls and awesome Jumping skills (in a campaign with all Jump DCs halved...) soon, and I'd like to check how the abilities interact. Can you run up a wall, Jump vertically upwards using the horizontal DCs and land on another, higher wall before geting to somewhere flat at the end of the turn?

Also, how incredibly cool would that look?:smalltongue:

Yeah, I would totally allow this. It wouldn't be that broken, just cool.

Edit: Yes, we do agree. Because gravity is the hardest barrier to break, and psionics are awesome. Seriously, there is nothing that is made less cool by doing it while standing on the ceiling.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-16, 12:13 PM
Hmmm... Does your sig have anything to do with this? It looks like we agree on the TOTAL AWESOMENESS of that feat...

Attilargh
2008-03-16, 12:52 PM
Seriously, there is nothing that is made less cool by doing it while standing on the ceiling.
Eating potato chips.

Ascension
2008-03-16, 01:02 PM
Eating potato chips.

I disagree. This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOglQl0mnbM) would be even cooler if he was on the ceiling.

Attilargh
2008-03-16, 01:05 PM
Well, I must confess I'd like to see the juggling act necessary to simultaneously solve equations, hold the bag and take a potato chip and eat it.

Rockphed
2008-03-16, 02:56 PM
Well, I must confess I'd like to see the juggling act necessary to simultaneously solve equations, hold the bag and take a potato chip and eat it.

If it was a very low ceiling, you could just leave the bag on a table, thus freeing a hand to eat the chips.

FlyMolo
2008-03-16, 02:59 PM

See? It would be cooler.

Reaper_Monkey
2008-03-17, 07:02 AM
Seriously, there is nothing that is made less cool by doing it while standing on the ceiling.

Three words.

CALL . OF . NATURE

senrath
2008-03-17, 07:05 AM
Three words.

CALL . OF . NATURE

Well, if you lie down on the ceiling, and are above your arch enemy...

Craig1f
2008-03-17, 12:22 PM
I think the applicable skill tricks are Wall Jumper (lets you jump off a wall as if you had a running start) and Jumping Climber (lets you start your climb with a jump).

Get your DM to approve these skill tricks so that you can use them more than 1/encounter or 1/minute.

I'm in a game right now where my Barbarian is going to get a medium distance jump bonus, instead of dim door from the Horizon Walker PrC. So we're having to figure out the mechanics of this as well.

I'll be jumping 200+ feet, so I'm definitely going to pick these skill tricks up so I can stick to walls and attack from them. I'll be like the incredible hulk!

Reaper_Monkey
2008-03-17, 05:31 PM
Well, if you lie down on the ceiling, and are above your arch enemy...

And I thought I was cutting it close!

Okay, what about making an unsuccessful trip attempt =D Not only do you look like an idiot, but you look like a massive idiot which ever way you fall (more so if its a concentration maintained ability, and you fall to the "floor", lose your concentration, and then fall all the way down to the real floor)

Frosty
2008-03-17, 06:03 PM
All this reminds me of Samus doing Wall Jumps/Trianlge Jumps