PDA

View Full Version : Hate is...

JMobius
2008-03-16, 09:23 AM
...paying $225 to get a rare and out of print RPG book...

...and then the next day, there being a press release announcing that the book is being reprinted, this time with expanded content. :smallfurious:

So, anyone played Nobilis before? :)

Armoury99
2008-03-16, 11:52 AM
I have indeed, and its fearsomely awesome once you and your players actually work out what the heck its about. :smallbiggrin:

If Steven Hawking wrote rpgs, it would be this one. Its coming back? Excellent! I've not heard that before right now, but maybe you can console yourself with that fact that surely they won't produce another gorgeous immense square hardback version? Or will they....

Any more news?

Rutee
2008-03-16, 11:59 AM
Ouch,t hat's awful. Still, it's nice to know Nobilis is coming back! Maybe you should play the Power of Rage in your next game, to reflect the purchase :P

Is it 'just' a reprint, or is it massively different?

JMobius
2008-03-16, 09:15 PM
It isn't a new edition, so it's not THAT different. From what I read, it's incorporating some of the material from one of the expansion texts released, but the core material should be the same.

It does sound awesome, though, and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. My primary motivation for shelling out so much for the book was because when I heard about Nobilis, it just sounded too cool to go unpreserved. :)

RTGoodman
2008-03-16, 10:07 PM
I first read that and though, "Who complains about paying $25 for an out-of-print rare book? Even in-print WotC D&D books are $30 or more, usually!"

And then I realized that your price had three digits. :smalleek:

Anyway, that system sounds ridiculously cool (from reading the Wikipedia entry, anyway). If the reprint isn't that expensive, I may check it out (even though I'm not sure my groups would like the diceless aspect).

JMobius
2008-03-17, 12:20 AM
I was pretty skeptical of the idea of a diceless system at first as well. But, the more I thought about it, and the reasons for making it diceless, the more I liked the idea. I can't wait to try it. :)

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-17, 12:53 AM
So how does task resolution work in Nobilis?

Looked over the Wikipedia article.

So, it looks like you are basically playing gods, and that you have a pool of Miracle points, which you spend in order to succeed. Makes me wonder what your stats do. I suppose decreasing the number of points it takes to succeed at actions?

Armoury99
2008-03-18, 12:52 PM
So how does task resolution work in Nobilis.... you have a pool of Miracle points, which you spend in order to succeed. Makes me wonder what your stats do. I suppose decreasing the number of points it takes to succeed at actions?

Basically yes, except that the higher your "stat" the less an action costs -down to zero. for example, someone with an Aspect of 1 can fight like a professional boxer without spending any points (i.e. automatically barring other factors), where as someone with a higher statistic can do the same trick when fighting a whole army, shouting so loud that they deafen everyone in an entire country, shooting the sun out of the sky, or swallowing whole a flaming elephant... Hence my "jettison real world limitations" comment.

Roughly, your statistics are:
Aspect (all physical and mental attributes)
Domain (your attunement to the aspect of the universe that you are a manifestation of: Dreams, Death, Pillows, America, etc)
Spirit (skill with 'lesser magic' and also mystical defence)
Realm (control over the personal pocket-universe you live in; think Morpheus' control of the Dreaming in Sandman)

I think someone once described it as "Sandman meets Hellraiser and goes on an absinthe bender... with flowers" which is about right.

PS - Not got my book with me, so the above is approximate/what I remember. There are also various merits and flaws available.

Hzurr
2008-03-18, 01:07 PM
...paying $225 to get a rare and out of print RPG book...

...and then the next day, there being a press release announcing that the book is being reprinted, this time with expanded content. :smallfurious:

So, anyone played Nobilis before? :)

I read through the book, and had a friend who really wanted to DM a game, but we could never get enough people together. Which is sad really, because I was going to be the diety of friction, and that would have been awesome...

CheshireCatAW
2008-03-18, 02:00 PM
This looks amazing!

As much as it would stink for the OP, I hope they print it out with the beautiful artwork in the incredible hardcover book that I have seen pictures of.

When are they going to re-release? I assume you would be able to pick it up on amazon or something, no?

Rutee
2008-03-18, 02:04 PM
I think someone once described it as "Sandman meets Hellraiser and goes on an absinthe bender... with flowers" which is about right.

...Yeah that sounds about right.

RTGoodman
2008-03-18, 02:21 PM
This looks amazing!

As much as it would stink for the OP, I hope they print it out with the beautiful artwork in the incredible hardcover book that I have seen pictures of.

When are they going to re-release? I assume you would be able to pick it up on amazon or something, no?

I took a look over on the Eos Press website for the game (http://eos-press.com/products-nobilis.html), and it doesn't have an actual release date, though I imagine sometime this year probably.

Regarding the art, the site says the new re-print will feature "the original 2002 book content but will also including key material from the first supplement – the Game of Powers!" I'd say the art will probably be the same, though that might not be true.

I'm keeping that bookmarked to wait for a release date - if I don't actually buy the book, I'd at least like to check it out.

Person_Man
2008-03-18, 02:55 PM
I played Amber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amber_Diceless_Roleplaying_Game) once at a Con, and I think it used a similar diceless system. It was very fun and roleplaying heavy.

Sorry you got screwed man. Maybe you can resell it on eBay to a newb before they realize its being reprinted.