PDA

View Full Version : Totem Hunter's for players

Lostintransit
2008-03-16, 09:53 AM
Hi everyone,

My group of friends and I have been wanting to play as a group of Totem Hunters in the Iron Kingdoms, on the hunt throughout current events. However as a DM I'm unsure as to what level adjustment to give the Totem Hunters abilities. So far I have gone with a +5 level adjustment.

What level adjustment do you think they should be?

EDIT: I missed out the bit regarding classes! doh! added that in now.

Totem Hunter (Race)
Large Monstrous Humanoid

Totem Hunters hail from an unknown land, but legend states that they stalk the land for prey. They have a strong sense of honour and ritual but are unrelenting in their hunt.

Totem hunters must take levels in either the fighter class or monstrous Humanoid racial levels.

1) Ability Score Adjustment: Str +6, Dex +8, Con +6, Int +6, Wis +8, Cha +4

2) Large Size: -1 penalty to armour Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying capacity limits double those of medium characters.

3) Space/Reach: 10ft / 10ft

4) Racial Skills [Ex]: A totem Hunter recieves a +4 bonus on listen, spot and hide checks.

5) Spell Casting [Ex]: A Totem Hunter prepares and casts spells as a Wizard of level equal to their total hit dice. (so a level 5 totem hunter prepares spells as a level 5 wizard)

6) Spell like abilities [Ex]: 3/day - at will; arcane mark, darkness, detect magic, light, mage hand and read magic. Caster level equal to hit dice, the save DC is INT based.

7) Magic Item Mastery [Ex]: A totem hunter may carry 1 additional magic item in either the Amulet, Braclet, Phylactery or Ring slot.

8) Designate Target [Su]: When a Totem Hunters starts his hunt, they perform a strange ritual wear their blood is used to draw symbols of arcane power. The totem Hunt spends 1 day for this ritual, during which time he designates his targets. The targets can be of any race that the totem hunter is aware of, and may even be specific individuals within that race. The Hunters needs only to know that the person or race exists to designate them a target. The only thing that shields a creature from this ability is if the creature is wearing a body part taken from a totem hunter they personally killed.

A Totem hunter may only designate upto 3 types of creature during each ritual, the first target (called the primary creature) can be of any CR, the second target (called the secondary creature) must be at least 4 CR higher than the primary target, the third target (called the tertiary Creature) must be at least 4 CR higher than the secondary target. A master totem creature must be at least 4 CR higher than a tertiary target. (see the totem reaping special rules for more details on a master totem)

9) Detect target [Su]: At will the totem hunter may detect any creature that has been designated a target by his designate target ability. This functions in exactly the same way as the detect plants and animals spell, but obviously is not limited to just plants and animals, and will only detect targets. Caster level equal to hit dice, the save DC is INT based.

10) Cry of the Hunter [Su]: At will the totem hunter can let out a booming cry. This is identical to the Fear spell. Caster level equal to hit dice, the save DC is CHA based.

11) Totem Reaping [Su]: After a Totem Hunter kills 3 of the primary targets designated by his designate target ability, he recieves a +3 morale bonus to attack, AC, damage, saves and skill checks. He also gains 1 of the targets extraordinary, supernatural or spell like abilities (within reason DM has final say, and no class abilities) The totem hunter uses this ability just a the original creature did, though it is considered to be fully recharged and rested, and it is now considered a supernatural ability regardless of what type it was before.

After the totem Hunter kills all 3 of the primary creatures he may move on to killing the secondary targets. Once a totem hunter kills 9 of his secondary targets the morale bonus is increased to +6 and he gains 1 of the targets extraordinary, supernatural or spell like abilities (within reason DM has final say, and no class abilities)

After the totem Hunter kills all 9 of the secondary creatures he may move on to killing the tertiary targets. Once a totem hunter kills 27 of his tertiary targets the morale bonus is increased to +9 and he gains 1 of the targets extraordinary, supernatural or spell like abilities (within reason DM has final say, and no class abilities)

Once the totem Hunter kills all 27 of the teriary creatures he may attempt to kill a master totem. A master totem is picked as normal using the designate target rules, but only the master totem is picked during the ritual. Should the totem hunter be successful in killing the master totem he gains all (yes all!) of all targets extraordinary, supernatural or spell like abilities (within reason DM has final say, and no class abilities)

The totem hunter must then kill at least 12 creatures of equal or greater CR than his master totem within the next 10 days or suffer 8 negative levels which can never be restored.

Bonus gained from killing designated targets last for 30 days, but are renewed as soon as another target is killed.

GunMage
2008-03-16, 10:09 AM
Do you perhaps have access to the monsternomicon? It actually has stats for a totem hunter in it.

Lostintransit
2008-03-16, 10:13 AM
Do you perhaps have access to the monsternomicon? It actually has stats for a totem hunter in it.

hehe, yes i do have that good old monsternomicon, it does indeed have the stats, but no level adjustment :smallfrown: normally players couldn't use them for characters, but seeing how everyone wants to play it from their perspective etc, and to keep the correct challenges for the group, i need to know what level adjustment they would have.

GunMage
2008-03-16, 10:17 AM
Sily me, I didn't pick up my monsternomicon and compare.

I would say the LA would be +8, and adding in the racial HD that comes to starting level 18.
(As a side note, it isn't wise to post copyrighted information on the internet)

Lostintransit
2008-03-16, 10:32 AM
Sily me, I didn't pick up my monsternomicon and compare.

I would say the LA would be +8, and adding in the racial HD that comes to starting level 18.
(As a side note, it isn't wise to post copyrighted information on the internet)

Thats why i changed the text etc, i just wanted to get the idea of there powers across. Also we are ignoring the racial hit die, stating with 1 effective level in either fighter or racial, then add LA for balancing issues.

Why would you pick +8? just curious.

Saint Nil
2008-03-16, 11:17 AM
Yeah, either +8 or +9. Reason why? Look at either mind flayers or vampires. They both have at least +7 level adjustment, and they seem weaker or mabye as strong as this race. Totem Hunters just have too many racial ablities.