PDA

View Full Version : Can I actviate a maneuver at the end of a charge?

Frosty
2008-03-16, 12:13 PM
Most Strikes use up a standard action, but for the most part they're just a single really cool attack. Can I not use a standard Strike at the end of a charge? If so, is that for balance reasons?

RandomLunatic
2008-03-16, 12:22 PM
No.

Most Strikes are standard actions. Charging is a full-round action that lets you move (with some restrictions) and then make a single attack action, not a standard action.

You can, however, use a Boost, as those are swift actions, and some FRA strikes include charging, but that is part of the manuever.

LibraryOgre
2008-03-16, 01:29 PM
No.

Most Strikes are standard actions. Charging is a full-round action that lets you move (with some restrictions) and then make a single attack action, not a standard action.

You can, however, use a Boost, as those are swift actions, and some FRA strikes include charging, but that is part of the manuever.

Agreed. You can't make a maneuver at the end of a charge unless it's less than a move action (i.e. free, immediate, or swift).

Douglas
2008-03-16, 03:57 PM
An attack action is a particular kind of standard action. A charge allows you to take an attack action at the end of the charge. It does not allow you to take any other kind of standard action.

Certain special attacks, such as trip and sunder, are particular kinds of attack actions. You can use one of those at the end of a charge. No maneuver is in this category, however, so you have to have an unrestricted standard action (or full round in some cases) available in order to use one.

Darrin
2008-03-17, 08:02 AM
Most Strikes use up a standard action, but for the most part they're just a single really cool attack. Can I not use a standard Strike at the end of a charge?

Charge is a full-round action, so unless you have an ability/item that gives you another standard action, then no, you can't use a standard strike at the end of a charge.

If so, is that for balance reasons?

Pretty much. There are other ways to combine moving and attacking:

Boosts such as Burning Blade work just fine with charging.

Travel Devotion feat from CompChamp. Swift action to move up to your speed, move action again, and then standard action for a maneuver. Can also give you 10 "move 10 feet back, CHARGE" rounds in a row.

Sudden Leap is a swift action, which can be added on as "free movement". Combine with a 5' step and a full-round attack, or add onto a single move action to increase your speed by 5' to 10' in a pinch. Best if combined with Leap of the Heavens or Leaping Dragon Stance.

A few maneuvers can be used as a full-round charge action. Charging Minotaur, for example, or Bounding Assualt.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-17, 08:26 AM
An attack action is a particular kind of standard action. A charge allows you to take an attack action at the end of the charge. It does not allow you to take any other kind of standard action.

Certain special attacks, such as trip and sunder, are particular kinds of attack actions. You can use one of those at the end of a charge. No maneuver is in this category, however, so you have to have an unrestricted standard action (or full round in some cases) available in order to use one.
To simplify things, you could say that standard action is an action that allow you to make a single attack.
A charge is a full round action that allows you to move and make one single attack.
A maneuver is a standard action that gives you some bonus or effect, and then allows you to make a single attack action as part of it.
Some maneuvers allow you to make a charge and a single attack as part of it.

Long story short: You can use a default action to make a single attack, but one single attack is not always a default action.

Person_Man
2008-03-17, 08:49 AM
Random and Mark et al are correct. Standard Action maneuvers are standard actions for a reason. It removes the possibility of you using it with a charge, a full attack, or a pounce.

If you want to play a build that focuses on Standard Action maneuvers, I suggest you pick one of the flying races (Dragonborn, Raptorian, Kobold, Half Fey, etc) and take the Flyby Attack feat. This will help you out a lot in the mobility department, and will keep you a safe distance from most enemies.

Otherwise, I generally avoid most Standard Action maneuvers once I get above ECL 11. There are plenty of exceptions, and its important to have a few options for when you need to Move and Attack. But most Standard Action maneuvers aren't worth the 3+ attacks that you'd give up on a full attack.