PDA

View Full Version : nagahydra+venomfire

Stycotl
2008-03-16, 01:12 PM
ok, a nagahydra casting venomfire would only have to cast it once in order for it to affect all the heads would it not?

i'm assuming so, but just want to clarify so that i am not cheesing up the npc too much. i mean, i want the pc's to wet their pants when they see this guy, but maybe on a moderate, legal coersion of pants-wettage if you know what i mean.

thanks. aaron out.

Stycotl
2008-03-16, 01:22 PM
maybe i ought to background this a little:

my players are all playing high-level caster/martial adept types that have been there, done that, so i don't think i'm being too sadistic to throw a nagahydra with sorcerer levels (17th level caster), the venomfire spell, aqua mortis, a couple of my homebrew venom feats, and energy admixture (sonic) at them...

as i said, i really do want them to wet themselves when they first realize what this guy can do to them. and this is even after i decided against giving him martial adept levels on top of everything else.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-16, 01:22 PM
You are. Venomfire is horribly, horribly broken, and I'm tempted to stat up a druid with 7 pet fleshrakers to show you why.

Stycotl
2008-03-16, 01:26 PM
i know why it's broken. that's not the question.

i am just looking for clarification that a personal spell, such as venomfire, targets all of the creature's venomous attacks, not just one of them.

it won't really matter even if he has to cast it on each individual head. he has enough spell slots. i just can't remember where that info would be. i looked up the nagahyrda stats and multiheaded stats. but i don't have serpent kindoms to see if the spell has any particulars.

anway, again, how mean i am being to them is not the issue. call it controlled pants-wetting chaos. i already know how they are going to fare through this encounter. this is more for story than for roll-vs-death encounter.

so back to the question: one spell=all heads?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-16, 01:32 PM
Yes. It applies to all attacks.

Keep in mind that if you actually kill one of them, he is within his rights to roll up an artificer in response. Or, since you were kind enough to bring this spell to his attention, Druid 19/Beastmaster 1 with Wild Cohort, Natural Bond, and Energy Admixture. 38d6 per attack with 3 attacks in one of the strongest forms known. And you can't even complain.

Stycotl
2008-03-16, 07:21 PM
who said i was going to complain? i know what i am unleashing on them. i know what i, as their dm, can expect from them, what i can legalize for them, and what i can houserule as broken or not (damage caps, for instance) for them.

as a dm, you don't complain about the choices your players make, or about the things that have happened in the world you have created. you are the god of that world. if something is wrong, it's your fault.

again, that was not the point. i know about the can of worms that venomfire represents. all i needed to have reaffirmed was the targetting of the spell.

thanks for the concern however.

aaron out.

Nebo_
2008-03-16, 08:18 PM
You're going for a TPK, then?

Stycotl
2008-03-17, 12:46 AM
nope. if i wanted that, there would be no damage cap, and i probably would have gestalted him into something sublime. and if that still wouldn't have been enough, 4 more levels of sorcerer would have given him epic spellcasting, and i have tons of decent, low DC epic spells that i've been itching to try out.

as i said, they can hold their own. plus, as i also mentioned above, the spell is coming with a damage cap. i haven't figured out where the cap is going to be yet. that will be up to playtesting. but i am game for modifcations on the fly, even midgame. i already know what aspects of my game are possible loose cannons, and my groups knows that if i find something not working right for the game, or even for the scene sometimes, i'll alter it. not a big deal.

however, the boss is going against level 17-20 characters that can throw around 9th level spells and martial maneuvers, which in my mind calls for some heavy hitters as bad guys. giving him a handful of d6's is going to be a step in the right direction.

aaron out.