PDA

View Full Version : Dragons And Greyhawk

Deth Muncher
2008-03-16, 01:39 PM
Ok, so I'm in a "Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk" campaign, and I recently picked up the 3.5 Draconomicon. As a sorcerer, I really want to get myself a dragon familiar. The problem with this, however, is that my DM thinks that Greyhawk isn't built to accomidate dragons. So, what are you guys' thoughts on having a dragon familiar in RTTROG?

Nohwl
2008-03-16, 01:50 PM
ask him what the name of the game is. dragons are in the title, of course they belong in greyhawk.

puppyavenger
2008-03-16, 02:37 PM
ask him what the name of the game is. dragons are in the title, of course they belong in greyhawk.

as long as all thier personalities are a mixture of mag-pies and cats

mostlyharmful
2008-03-16, 05:48 PM
DnD dragons don't fit into any campaign world where humanoids are anything but food... but given that it IS Dungeons and Dragons, maybe talk your DM into allowing the feat and have his 'Dragons' as small semi-intelligent beasties that mages can turn into familiars, just make dragons cap out as adults at the wyrmling stage mechanically.

Fhaolan
2008-03-17, 12:39 AM
Ok, so I'm in a "Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk" campaign, and I recently picked up the 3.5 Draconomicon. As a sorcerer, I really want to get myself a dragon familiar. The problem with this, however, is that my DM thinks that Greyhawk isn't built to accomidate dragons. So, what are you guys' thoughts on having a dragon familiar in RTTROG?

*blink*

*blink* *blink*

Uh, what? When did they kill all the dragons in Greyhawk? There used to be types of dragons *specific* to Greyhawk, that didn't exist in any other campaign setting. In 2nd edition there were Cloud Dragons, Mist Dragons, Shadow Dragons... heck there were Greyhawk Dragons who spent most of their time pretending to be human. These were straight out of the first Monstrous Compendium Greyhawk Appendix.

TheOOB
2008-03-17, 01:37 AM
There are plenty of dragons in greyhawk, greyhawk was the first campaign setting when all the dragon types where made. The cover of the living greyhawk gazzeteer has a gold and a black dragon on the cover(given their corpses, presumably killed by mordenkienen, but still).

There arn't a great deal of dragons running countries or deep in the public eye, but they do exist. They may not be as important as in other settings, but thats mainly because most peoples attention is on the demi god who's army is slowly advancing south.

Deth Muncher
2008-03-18, 09:54 PM
So, as I'm getting this, you all are saying that having, say, a dragon familiar wouldn't be game breaking here? Please, keep in mind, I'm talking about "Return to the Ruins of Greyhawk," the recently(ish) released campaign.

(A note: I'm not trying to thread necromanticize here, I just havent had a chance to chek this thread in a few days. Don't stab me, please.)