PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Undead

JellyPooga
2008-03-16, 05:21 PM
Inspired by Wraithy's thread about a gravetouched ghoul, I went and looked up the template again and realised that it can be applied to a host of creature types, some of which are not normally applicable for undead-itude...namely abberation, fey and giant. Most undead templates are only applicable to humanoids and monstrous humanoids.

This got me thinking about what Fey would make good Ghouls...I've always wanted to play an Undead Fey...going with the whole corruption of the natural order style of thing.

I immediately thought of the Grig (I've always wanted to play one of those too), but the accumulated LA of +5 is a bit too high...we're talking seriously low HP with that sort of LA. So I thought I'd see if anyone knew of any low LA Fey that might make a good Ghoul (from either fluff or mechanical stand point).

Also, what if a Lycanthrope (or Entomanthrope) became Undead (via the Gravetouched Ghoul template or otherwise)? Do they lose their Alternate Form ability on account of it being based on Polymorph? If they do, would the Corrupted Wild Shape Feat from Libris Mortis be an acceptable mitigator?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-16, 05:27 PM
MMII has a +0 LA tiny fey with a massive set of stat boosts and the distinct smell of cheese. Someone else probably knows what I mean.

Nohwl
2008-03-16, 07:38 PM
whats it called?

Zincorium
2008-03-16, 07:58 PM
Jermlaine (don't hurt yourself figuring out how to pronounce it).

They've got some definite downsides to go with the upsides, it just happens that the upsides coincide exactly with one of the most broken classes in the game (druid) that also negates their weaknesses.

That said, gravetouched ghoul jermlaine would be pretty cool. And you've only got to eat dead rats or something to remain in tip-top shape.

Nohwl
2008-03-16, 08:32 PM
thanks. now i need to learn how to make an effective druid.

RTGoodman
2008-03-16, 08:57 PM
thanks. now i need to learn how to make an effective druid.

You mean, like the Druid Handbook (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=465005)? :smallwink:

Where is this Gravetouched template? It sounds interesting, but I don't recall seeing it before.

Zincorium
2008-03-16, 09:03 PM
Where is this Gravetouched template? It sounds interesting, but I don't recall seeing it before.

Gravetouched ghoul (all one template) is from libris mortis. It's actually one of the few solid PC-usable undead templates. The only real downside is that you're a chaotic evil undead monstrosity... but if you didn't want that, you probably wouldn't have been looking at the template to begin with.

Ascension
2008-03-16, 09:35 PM
Gravetouched ghoul (all one template) is from libris mortis. It's actually one of the few solid PC-usable undead templates. The only real downside is that you're a chaotic evil undead monstrosity... but if you didn't want that, you probably wouldn't have been looking at the template to begin with.

...but a chaotic evil undead monstrosity can't be a druid. So the OP can't take Zincorium's advice. The template and the class are apparently mutually exclusive.

Zincorium
2008-03-16, 09:38 PM
...but a chaotic evil undead monstrosity can't be a druid. So the OP can't take Zincorium's advice. The template and the class are apparently mutually exclusive.

The OP never mentioned druids. Just undead fey.

Nohwl was the one who got started talking about druids. Admittedly my advice is useless to him, but since I wasn't giving him advice, that's not unusual.

Nohwl
2008-03-16, 09:47 PM
thank you, i just favorited the druid handbook.

RTGoodman
2008-03-16, 10:13 PM
Ah, thanks - no one I know has Libris Mortis, and I don't think I've even seen a hard copy in a store for a couple of years.

Here's another question - is the gravetouched ghoul an inherited or applied template? If it's an applied template and you really wanted a crazy chaotic evil undead druid guy, you could start as a human Druid 5 (or more), get the template added to you, and then just start progressing as a Blighter (a PrC from Complete Divine). It's not that great, but you still get some of your powers back (plus the ability to defoliate entire forests).