PDA

View Full Version : New base class: Notched Blade Crusader

Rowan Intheback
2008-03-16, 10:35 PM
Wow that was a lot of work. Ok I took it up to twenty and I added all the bells an whistles I could find in those guides (thannk you by the way).

I think this can work for any setting or charater now. It'll need some tweaking to fit back in to the one I talked about earlier but I can handel that later. I think it's pretty uniquie. It takes the basic idea of the ranger favored enemy class ability to new level and it gets a host of new abilities.

Again I'd like to make this playable. Tell me how I can change it to do that.

Notched Blade Crusader
'I will lurk nightmares of demons. I will be the light that extinguishes the darkest shadow. I will tame the fiercest chaos. All who stand as my enemy shall join their brethren as a notch on my hammer.'
-Thanos Ursade I The Platinum Bear, Notched Blade Crusader and first king of the Werebears.

Abilities: Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom a notched blade crusader’s most important abilities as they determine how many abilities an be used per day, and how strong those abilities are.
Alignment: Any good.
Hit Die: d10

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
Notched Blade Crusaders are proficient with all simple weapons. They are also proficient with one martial or exotic weapon of their choice.
Notched Blade Crusaders are proficient with all light and medium armors. They are proficient with all shields except tower shields.

Class Description:
A Notched Blade Crusader Fights with a passion that his enemies fear and his allies respect. Notched Blade Crusaders forgo general combat training and devote themselves to fighting a specific enemy. They dedicate their lives to the hunt finding and destroying every creature who threatens the peace of their world. Using natural cunning and experience rather than practiced martial skill a Notched Blade Crusader can overcome even the most powerful enemy. Each time they kill a sworn enemy they mark their weapon with a notch.

Skill points at first level: (2+ Int modifier) x4
Class Skills (2+INT): Climb, Concentration, Change Shape*, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana, History, The Planes, Nature), Listen, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble.

*applies only to Lycanthropes.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0| Sworn Enemy, Favor Weapon, Notch Abilities

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0| Track Foe, Weapon Defense

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1| Notch Smite

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1| Ursade’s Rage

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1| Ursade’s Will

6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2| 2nd Sworn Enemy, Notch Defense

7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2| Notched Accuracy, Bonus Feat

8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2| Cunning Crusader

9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3| Second Wind

10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3| 3rd Sworn Enemy, Sixth Sense

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3| Faster Recovery

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4| Greater Ursade’s Rage

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4| Ursade’s Heart

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4| Bonus Feat

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5| Vigilant Crusader

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5| Bonus Feat

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5| Bonus Feat

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6| Ursade’s Reflex

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6| Fight Another Day

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6| Final Strike

[/table]

Class Abilities:

Sworn Enemy: At 1st level a Notched Blade Crusader may pick a select a faction or group operating in the game world (the cult of Demogorgon for instance.) He considers them his sworn enemy he is honor bound to hunt and kill all creatures members of this group. Each time he kills a foe who meets the requirements of his Sworn Enemy he makes a notch in his favored weapon if that weapon made the killing blow. A player must keep track of these notches in order to access a Notched Blade Crusader’s abilities. When a notch is first added to a weapon it is considered “charged.” There is no maximum number of notches a Notched Blade Crusader may have on their weapon. At 6th level a Notched Blade Crusader may select a new sworn enemy to add to their list of sworn enemies.

Favor Weapon: You bind your self to your weapon making it an essential tool in your quest to destroy your enemies. A Notched Blade Crusader may Favor a weapon with a ceremony where he bestows a name on the weapon. This ceremony takes him 24 hours to complete. During the ceremony the notched blade crusader must declare a sworn enemy for the weapon if he has more than one. If the ceremony is interrupted he must start over from the beginning unless it was interrupted by one of his sworn enemies (in which case he may continue after killing them.) A Notched Blade Crusader may not have more than one favored weapon that corresponds to the same sworn enemy at one time. Nor can a Notched Blade Crusader favor a natural weapon.
After a weapon is favored a Notched Blade crusader may make a notch in the blade for every sworn enemy he slays with it.
If a favored weapon is destroyed it and all of the notches on it are gone. A crusader may favor a new weapon with no notches or have the old weapon recast with all the charges in tact. To do this a crusader must find all the pieces and take them to a black smith. After the weapon is recast the Cursader must perform a 48 hour ceremony where he re notches the weapon. All notches count as expended until the crusader restores them with meditation.

Notch Abilities: Although a Notched Blade Crusader has no formal martial training they are very adept at fighting creatures they recognize as their sworn enemies. They call on their experience fighting enemies in the past to perform incredible feats in combat. As a swift a Notched Blade Crusader may expend any number of charged notches to access one of their abilities. A notched blade crusader may access these abilities a number of times per-day equal to 1+levels in Notched Blade Crusader+CON modifier.
As soon a s a notched blade crusader slays a sworn enemy he puts a notch in his favored weapon. It is considered “charged.” To access his abilities a Notched Blade Crusader must expend charged notches. Charges are recovered during a silent meditation that takes two hours and can only be performed only once in a 24 hour period. If this meditation is interrupted a crusader may attempt to meditate again within the same 24 hour period; however, it will take a DC 20 Concentration check to do so. Charges are recovered at a rate of 1+levels in Notched Blade Crusader+CON modifier per-meditation.
Notch abilities may only be accessed if a Notched Blade Crusader is wielding a favored weapon. Then he must only use charges from that favored weapon.

Skilled Crusader: At 1st level a Notched Blade Crusader may expend charges up to his STR modifier and add that number to a Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Ride, Open Lock, or Tumble check.

Track Foe: At 2nd level a Notched Blade Crusader is treated as having the Track feat (PHB 101) when searching for a Sworn Enemy.

Weapon Defense: At 2nd level a Notched Blade Crusader can expend notch charges up to his CON modifier and add that number to the hardness of his weapon.

Notched Smite: At 3nd level a Notched Blade Crusader may expend charges equal to their STR mod and add that number to the damage of a single attack against a sworn enemy.

Ursade’s Rage: At 4th level a Notched Blade Crusader can expend any number of notch charges and fly into a rage with a duration equal to the number of charges he expended. This Rage acts like the Barbarian class ability and does not stack with normal Rage. However it is modified by all effects that modify Rage (like reckless rage).

Ursade’s Will: At 3rd level a Notched Blade Crusader may expend any number of charges on one of his favored weapons and add that number to a single will save made against a favored enemy. You must declare how many charges you are expending before the will save is a success or a failure.

Notch Defense: Your experience in fighting your sworn enemy allows you a better defense. Expend notch charges up to your WIZ modifier. Gain that number as an insight bonus to your AC until the end of the round. This bonus applies only to attacks made by sworn enemies.

Notched Accuracy: You understand the weaknesses of your sworn enemy. At 7th level you may expend a number of notch charges up to your WIZ modifier and add that number to your to hit bonus.

Bonus Feat: At 7th level a Notched Blade Cursader May select a Bonus Feat form the Notched Blade Crusader’s feat list. He may do this again at 14th, 16th, and 17th level as well.

Cunning Crusader: At 8th level you may expend a number of charges up to your WIZ modifier and add that number to a single Appraise, Bluff, Disguise, Gather Information, or Intimidate check.

Second Wind: At 9th level if a Notched blade crusader should fall unconscious in battle a Notched Blade Crusader may. For each charge expended a crusader will be healed one point of lethal and non-lethal damage. After this a crusader may fight as normal although they are fatigued.

Sixth Sense: At 10th level you can sense the presence of a sworn enemy within 20 ft. If you are sleeping you will be startled awake as disturbed by an alarm.
Special: If this happens during a meditation to regain charges the meditation is interrupted.

Faster Recovery: At 11th level a Notched blade crusader may recover notches at a faster rate. Charges are now recovered at a rat of 1+2x levels in notched blade crusader+CON modifier per level.

Greater Ursade’s Rage: At 12th level a Notched Blade Crusader may expend any number of notch charges you fly into a deep rage with a duration of one round for every two notes expended. Other than that it acts as the barbarian ability Greater Rage.

Ursade’s Heart: At 13th level a Notched Blade Crusader may expend any number of notch charges and add that number to a single fortitude save made against a sworn enemy. The number of notches expended must be announced before the save is declared a success or a failure.

Vigilant Crusader: At 15th level you may expend a number of notches up to your CON modifier and add that number to a single Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Listen, Search, Spot, or Sense Motive check.

Ursade’s Reflex: At 18th level Notched Blade Crusader may expend any number of notch charges and ad that number to a single reflex save made against a sworn enemy. A successful save is treated as though the Crusader has evasion. The number of charges must be announced before the save is declared a success or a failure.

Fight Another Day: At 19th level if a Notched blade crusader falls below -10 HP all remaining notch charges and ability uses are expended to heal the crusader one hit point per charge. After that the crusader may only take a full retreat action until they have left combat any other action will result in the character losing consciousness regardless of current HP level. Once he has left combat a crusader is fatigued and must rest as soon as possible. They will not recover notch charges until resting a full 24 hours. This effect triggers on the crusaders turn immediately after taking damage. If a crusader receives healing from an ally or magic item that brings him back above -10 before then this effect will not trigger.

Final Strike: At 20th level if a Notched Blade Crusader’s Hit Points Drop below half he may spend a full round action to make a charge at a single opponent who is a sworn enemy. At the end of this charge a crusader makes a single attack regardless of abilities (pounce for instance.) This attack cannot miss regardless of the opponent’s AC, resistances, and immunities. It ignores any DR and miss chances due to concealment. The attack does damage as normal after which the weapon regardless of damage type, is lodged in the target’s body. At this point the Notched Blade Crusader falls unconscious regardless of remaining Hit Points. On the next round whether the Notched Blade Crusader is alive or not the weapon explodes shattering in to one piece for every notch in the weapon. This explosion deals one damage to the target for every piece of the shattered weapon. Half of that damage is dealt to the Notched Blade Crusader. If this causes the crusader to die he can only be revived through Wish or Miracle. If he survives the damage is treated as permanent hit point drain that can only be cured by Wish or Miracle. The blade can only be restored with Wish or Miracle. If the foe survives the damage is treated as permanent hit point drain that ignores all ability that would prevent such an attack. If the foe dies he is unable to be revived without Wish or Miracle and then all of his abilities are reduced by half with no chance of recovery.

dman11235
2008-03-16, 10:45 PM
1) Clean it up. Make the class to 20, and don't make it for a specific character.

2) Clean it up. Click the first link in my sig and be overwhelmed with helpful links. Read On the Philosophy of Class Design. Visit the link above that, the guid to homebrewing. Use the other resources.

3) I will not consider critiquing this until you do so.

dman11235
2008-03-17, 09:31 AM
Take what's in that spoiler and put it up top. The primary post should be the one with the up-to-date product. And use an actual table: {table]table[/table] will get you a nice looking table.

Rowan Intheback
2008-03-17, 06:05 PM
Ok I think I took care of all those lousy formatting issues. Is there anything else or are we ready to start fine tuning this thing?

Hazkali
2008-03-17, 06:24 PM
Firstly, the skill points at 1st level and at further levels should be the same- choose either 2+int or 4+int, but not both.

Rowan Intheback
2008-03-17, 07:23 PM
Firstly, the skill points at 1st level and at further levels should be the same- choose either 2+int or 4+int, but not both.

Oops, They were both supposed to be 2+INT I just typed it wrong for some reason? Thanks.

Rowan Intheback
2008-03-18, 02:43 AM
Hey if any one has suggestions for this class other than ones about formatting I'd really appreciate them. I hate to bump but want to make sure it's solid before I introduce it to the setting.