PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen this yet...

Rowanomicon
2008-03-17, 12:52 AM
Who here loves or has loved kick-the-can? I know I loved it as a kid.
However we rarely used a can.

We sometimes used balls, milk cartons, binders, or even younger kids (not really).
What various things did you use besides cans? What types of cans did you like best? I liked the big coffee ones.

Any and all kick-the-can discussion is welcome.

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-17, 01:25 AM
:smallconfused: I've never played it, myself. Does it have rules?

TheBoneSplitter
2008-03-17, 01:32 AM
I kick sticks apart on my way walking home from work... and at that time it isn't really much of a game, it is more of a diversion as I walk. Naturally I ground the stick to the cement or some other hard surface, then proceed to swiftly kick it off with my other foot.

Weiser_Cain
2008-03-17, 01:34 AM
No, but we played 'rock'. The objective was to split up into two teams and hit your friend with construction gravel. I was going through a literal phase and so I didn't duck much as it wasn't part of the rules..

Rowanomicon
2008-03-17, 02:49 AM
In kick-the-can someone is "it" and everyone else hides.

Somewhere out in the open there is a can (or something else).

The person who is "it" goes and looks for the hiding people. When the "it" person find someone then they declare that they have and the "it" person and the found person race to the can. If the "it" person kicks the can first then the person who got found is now "it" and the previous "it" person gets a chance to go off and hide too while the new "it" has their eyes closed. If the person who got found kicks the can first then they get to go back and hide in another place and the "it" person stays "it."

There are, of course nuances, but those are the rules as far as I remember...

Weiser_Cain
2008-03-17, 04:30 AM
What's to stop someone from going to the arcade?

Rowanomicon
2008-03-17, 04:49 AM
You mean like instead of hiding you simply leave?
You could, but then you're not playing the game anymore.
It's the same as asking "what's to stop kids playing tag from simply running home and locking themselves int heir bathroom so they can't be tagged?" or "what's to stop kids playing hide and go seek from hiding somewhere outside the designated game area or even leaving all together, perhaps moving to a new country?"

I mean, for that matter what's to stop D&D gamers from getting up and leaving the table to go play with their Wii?

One generally assumes that if you are playing a game it's because you want to (or, for those of you poor unfortunate souls still in grade school, because your gym teacher says so).

Om
2008-03-17, 08:33 AM
We used a tree. For a not unrelated reason we also called it "tip-the-can"

Arang
2008-03-17, 09:08 AM
The best part of kick-the-can was kicking the can as hard as you could at the desperate guy trying to get back to protect it.

Then there was that waving variant where you could free the prisoners. Man, did I play that a lot. This one time, I was up in a tree for over an hour and freed every other person five times each. I never got found.

Rowanomicon
2008-03-17, 01:29 PM
Haha, oh yeah! I totally forgot about the prisoners bit.
Good times.

The best part was definitely kicking the "can" at the other person.

Nibleswick
2008-03-18, 11:59 PM
What's really great is when you slide in under the person jumping over the can, while everyone in jail is waiting in suspense.

On that note, did any of you ever play wolf?

Edan
2008-03-19, 12:36 AM
In the winter time, we used to use large chunks of ice, they slid very well and were easily replaceable.

Mirrinus
2008-03-19, 12:52 AM
From where I'm from, I prefer pinecones.