PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Trapsmith

Doresain
2008-03-17, 02:05 AM
after the heroic death of my last character, i have decided to go with the flow of the rest of the group (because apparently going against gets you killed or leaves you really bored for the session) and am now making a human rogue 5/trapsmith 5...

i dont plan on giving him any sort of truly combative equipment...mainly just wands of create trap, a few folding traps, a bag of holding that stores all my trap making stuff and a wand of invisibility...my question is, is there any good feats other than skill focus (trapmaking) for a trapsmith? tactile trapsmith would come in handy for fluff reasons i suppose, but my dex is gunna be kind of low due to age penalties kicking in (hes a retired thief living in Amn)...

bonus points: any good suggestions for stringing together a bunch of CR 1 traps(wand of create trap) to make it a lot more dangerous to even higher level opponents would be much appreciated

RTGoodman
2008-03-17, 09:04 AM
Here's an idea - instead of focusing on just traps, instead focus on tinkering with all sorts of little things. Pick up a couple of other Craft skills maybe, and then pick up all sorts of weird or "useless" magic items. The marvelous pigments (you paint something with them, and then it comes into being for a while) seem like a fun thing for this sort of character, and maybe throw in a couple bags of tricks or one of those robes full of little knick-knacks.

Also, if you're building a trapsmith, take a look at the Complete Scoundrel. It has another 5-level PrC called Combat Trapsmith that focuses on making small traps (as full-round actions, but I think eventually as standard actions) that are useful in battle. One explodes like a fireball, one puts stuff to sleep, one shoots glitterdust, etc. - all in all, it seems good for anyone making traps.

DrizztFan24
2008-03-17, 10:25 AM
If he is a retired thief then he should use his wisdom or intelligence modifier to make the traps instead of dex. As a thief he has probably seen any variety of trap three times upside-down and knows how to make a bigger, better mousetrap easier.

Doresain
2008-03-17, 11:12 AM
the reason why my character focuses mainly on traps is because thats what he did back in his prime...he was the B&E guy, but screwed up on one trap thus causing the indirect death of his group...he is now retired in Amn, where he owns a bar or shop or something...but those items do sound like fun

i know of the combat trapsmith, thats actually what i have planned out for the next 5 levels of this character

Person_Man
2008-03-17, 12:00 PM
Consider being a Dragonwraught Kobold (Races of the Dragon) with draconic wings. Then take Flyby Attack. Fly in, create trap as a standard action, fly out. Dragonborn and Raptorians also get wings around ECL 12.

Since creating Traps is not an attack, it does not dispel Invisibility. So a Wand of Invisibility is a must. You can basically just bounce about the battlefield unmolested setting traps. You can leave Str, Dex, Con, and Wis at 10ish. Pump everything else into Int and Cha.

Consider Rogue 2/Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) 1/Paladin or Variant Paladin 2 or Rogue 1/Marshal 1/Hexblade 3. Marshal will give you Skill Focus Diplomacy, and your Cha bonus to all Int checks with the Motivate Intelligence aura. Paladin et al will give you your Cha bonus to Saves, which is the only way you'll ever be damaged, since you'll be Invisible the entire battle. Hexblade will give your bonus to saves vs. spells plus Mettle and the ability to wear heavy armor, since you won't have Evasion. It's not like you'll be using Sneak Attack a lot.

Buy Wands of Eagle's Splendor and Fox's Cunning. This will boost your Craft checks and Saves even further.

Prometheus
2008-03-17, 06:12 PM
Don't forget Disable Device! Sometimes its easier to work from the top down. RTG0922 has it right, random wondrous items and a little bit of ingenuity can go a long way especially if you have a DM that appreciates it