PDA

View Full Version : Two Core Spell Tweaks [Teleport, Fly]

Reinboom
2008-03-18, 05:33 AM
Mobility (not the feat) is powerful, and I wish to limit it.
So, I have tried to make modifications to two of the largest contenders and situation circumventers, and would like a few comments.

The first change is Fly, which I extended the duration of (to make it more utility, less combat) but capped the height and slowed the speed (to then subsequently nerf its utility). I also made the fall thing slightly more dangerous.

The 2nd change is to Teleport, which was modified in almost entirety. I am not fond of the distance capabilities of standard teleport, and I also attempted to make it closer to the core d20 mechanic.

Fly
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Travel 3
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject can fly at a speed of 40 feet (or 30 feet if it wears medium or heavy armor, or if it carries a medium or heavy load) and to a maximum height of 60 + 5 feet per two caster levels.. It can ascend at half speed and descend at double speed, and its maneuverability is good. Using a fly spell requires only as much concentration as walking, so the subject can attack or cast spells normally. The subject of a fly spell can charge and hustle but not run, and it cannot carry aloft more weight than its maximum load, plus any armor it wears.

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for a single round. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the fly spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.

Arcane Focus
A wing feather from any bird.

Teleport
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Travel 5
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Personal and touch
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

This spell instantly transports you to a designated destination within 200 miles on the same plane as you are currently. You can bring along objects as long as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) per two caster levels. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you. As with all spells where the range is personal and the target is you, you need not make a saving throw, nor is spell resistance applicable to you. Only objects held or in use (attended) by another person receive saving throws and spell resistance.

You must have some clear idea of the location and layout of the destination. The clearer your mental image, the more likely the teleportation works. Areas of strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible.

To see how well the teleportation works, roll a teleport check (d20 + your caster level) versus a difficult class of 10 + 1 for each 10 miles you wish to travel + 4 for each step of unfamiliarity of the desired designation (+4 for studied carefully, +8 for seen casually, +12 for viewed once, see below for descriptions.) A natural 20 or success means you arrive at the exact location safely. If you roll less than the DC, then for each 1 you roll less, you appear 10% of the distance short of the desired location. If you rolled a natural 1 or were 10 or under the DC of the teleport check, you have a mishap and must reroll (see below.)

Familiarity

“Very familiar” is a place where you have been very often and where you feel at home, your normally must have lived here for a duration longer than two weeks. “Studied carefully” is a place you know well, either because you can currently see it, you’ve been there often, or you have used other means (such as scrying) to study the place for at least one hour. “Seen casually” is a place that you have seen more than once but with which you are not very familiar. “Viewed once” is a place that you have seen once, possibly using magic. “False destination” is a place that does not truly exist or if you are teleporting to an otherwise familiar location that no longer exists as such or has been so completely altered as to no longer be familiar to you. When traveling to a false destination, you automatically receive 3 mishaps (6d10 damage and exhausted) and arrive at a similar area.

Similar Area

You wind up in an area that’s visually or thematically similar to the target area.

Generally, you appear in the closest similar place within range. If no such area exists within the spell’s range, the spell fails instead and you appear where you originally decided to teleport from.

Mishap

You and anyone else teleporting with you have gotten “scrambled.” You each take 2d10 damage, become fatigued (or exhausted if you are already fatigued), and you must reroll your teleport check. Each time “Mishap” comes up, the characters take more damage and must reroll or until they have had 3 mishaps, in which case they arrive at a similar area instead.

Kizara
2008-03-20, 04:51 AM
My fixes:

1) Fly now has a casting time of 1 round and a duration of 2 rounds/level. Furthermore, you drop uncontrollably if the spell ends.

A whole lot easier to incorporate then arbitary height restrictions, don't you think? The problem with fly is that its a get-out-of-trouble-free card. Taking a round to use makes it a whole lot less potent in that regard.

2) Teleport has a casting time of 2 rounds.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that PCs can TP somewhere they need to be. Heck, I find it liberating as a DM because I can have adventures easily move in pace and location.

The problem is that its a 1-action instant get-away, and having two rounds for the monsters to maul the caster is pretty decent for that little problem.

Your 'teleport check' mechanics aren't bad, but one really must be wary of needlessly adding additional layers of complexity to things. You have certinally done this.

DracoDei
2008-03-20, 05:42 AM
Doesn't really look that much more complex than the RAW version of Teleport.

I agree that height limitations seem kind of arbitrary.

Other than that, I think both have their advantages...

However I don't really understand how people come to the conclusion that Fly avoids a fight... simply because D&D is about parties, not lone adventurers... you have to cast it on each member of the party (incidently taking a few rounds) to totally avoid an encounter it would SEEM to me... could someone take an aside to explain this to me?

Reinboom
2008-03-20, 07:01 AM
1)
Fly gives a form of defense that is impossible to surpass for a lot of possible encounters.
Even if it is singular.

That's not so much my issue with it, I want the long lasting utility it has provided in before while trying to make it still 'work'.
The height is also not too arbitary. Close range + 30 feet. A caster should have their close range noted anyways.

Another goal with it was for mass fly (spell compendium). Which does let an entire party circumvent situations. I like mass fly, I don't like simple circumvention.

I will, however, try the 1 round idea.

2) Complexity?
I was trying to simplify it, over all. I rather dislike having to look up a table for teleport.

Also, distance is an issue for me.

Thank you for the comments.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-20, 07:09 AM
So what happens if a character is flying at their maximum height and flies over the edge of a 100-ft. cliff, suddenly adding 100 ft. to their current height?

And is the height measured from the nearest surface or the nearest solid surface? That is, can a caster fly above the water directly above a 1000-ft. deep oceanic trench?

If any surface works, what happens to a character that recieves a fly spell while under water? Particularly if it's a creature that's dense enough to sink and be unable to swim?

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that PCs can TP somewhere they need to be. Heck, I find it liberating as a DM because I can have adventures easily move in pace and location.
Oh, man, do I ever hear you there.

Heck, I love it so much that I have a tendency to send PCs that can't teleport on their own on missions from folks that can teleport the PCs themselves.

DracoDei
2008-03-20, 08:27 AM
1)
Fly gives a form of defense that is impossible to surpass for a lot of possible encounters.
Even if it is singular.
That I can definitely see.

That's not so much my issue with it, I want the long lasting utility it has provided in before while trying to make it still 'work'.
The height is also not too arbitary. Close range + 30 feet. A caster should have their close range noted anyways.

You misunderstand... I meant that the entire concept of using height as a limitation struck me as a bit arbitrary (but only slightly more so than the fact that attacking ends Invisibility), not that there was anything wrong with the exact limit you selected when and if one accepts the general category of limitation.

As for the tricky situations the other person mentioned... well, those seem about par for the course with the weird situations you can get into with D&D magic. PERSONALLY I wouldn't let them stop you, although specifically mentioning such cases might be good.