PDA

View Full Version : Net fighting

Grey Paladin
2008-03-18, 08:31 AM
Is there any feat/class that will let me fight efficiently with a/ net(s) in one hand and a spear in another, or is Two Weapon Fighting the best I can achieve?

Neon Knight
2008-03-18, 08:38 AM
Complete Warrior has Net and Trident, a Weapon Style feat. You could either switch to a Trident or get a houserule letting you use a spear instead.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-18, 12:53 PM
A trident is better than a shortspear anyway.

The Net and Trident weapon style feat isn't actually TWF, either. You use a full-round action to throw your net, take a five-foot step, and make a full attack with your trident. You can ditch TWF feats and go Power Attack (although since you need to hold the net to control it, you can't use two hands on your trident; unfortunately, being entangled doesn't make you subject to sneak attacks, so you'd be controller, not a damage-dealer).

It's a pretty limited fighting style, really. You're decent with Small, Medium, and Large opponents, but that's about it.

I'm actually a bit puzzled about how the feat does anything (except get rid of some TWF penalties?). You can already take a five-foot step in the middle of a full-attack action, so if you start your TWF full attack by throwing the net, then take a five-foot step and stab your opponent with the trident, you're pretty much doing the same thing without the feat's slight limitations, right?

Person_Man
2008-03-18, 02:51 PM
Nets are a great weapon for any build that uses Quickdraw. A touch attack that imposes 1/2 movement and penalties is very useful against any boss monster. It's even more useful if your enemy wastes a round to free himself.

The benefit of the Net and Trident feat is simple is that it potentially grants you a free attack (the net), and a free 5 ft step, followed by your normal full attack with the trident.

I wouldn't bother taking it though, because of the annoying Weapon Focus and TWF pre-reqs, and because if you fail the opposed Str check, you don't get any attacks with your trident.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-18, 04:36 PM
The benefit of the Net and Trident feat is simple is that it potentially grants you a free attack (the net), and a free 5 ft step, followed by your normal full attack with the trident.

I'm not sure how the five-foot step is free? Surely you're not getting an extra one?