PDA

View Full Version : Reaching Spellcraft DC for Epic Spell

Mooch
2008-03-18, 01:45 PM
my character is about to hit epic level and I made an Epic spell that I would like but the spellcraft DC is 266 which I have no clue how to go about reaching that goal

I have seen posts about getting items that ad up to +30 to a skill check but I am not sure of the cost

Any tricks to hit these hugely high DCs? (no stacked loops of buffing INT either playing a sorceror)

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-18, 01:55 PM
Stacked loops of buffing Charisma? edit: Scratch the brain fart, you're trying to increase Spellcraft, so stacked loops of buffing Int still do the trick. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a sorcerer. /edit

For the skill bonus item, you get Craft Epic Wondrous Item, and use the rules (they're in the SRD) to figure out the price.

Then you begin to create epic spells that give you permanent (or, heck, temporary) bonuses to Spellcraft.

That said, the ready-made epic spells are mostly stupid. (Both in the way they're constructed, and in what they do. Most of them aren't worth the trouble to develop.) Several FR books have epic spells that have realistically-lowered DCs. Basically, you're going to want to use a bunch of lower-level spellcasters contributing spell slots (Leadership isn't really up to scratch here, but it'd help), maybe burn some XP and take some backlash damage, to do the trick. You'll just have to recalculate the DCs.

Before you start doing anything, remember to check with your DM, because it'll suck when you put in all the effort to figure out the details of the epic spell and are told no.

CthulhuM
2008-03-18, 02:31 PM
I don't think you're actually supposed to learn and cast many of the spells as they're written. Those spells present things you could potentially do, and leave it to you to make them castable by adding in drawbacks (requiring extra spell slots, additional casters to help you, long rituals, etc.). Check here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/developingEpicSpells.htm) for a list of ways you can modify the spell.

PirateMonk
2008-03-18, 03:05 PM
The traditional method is to Permanently Summon large numbers of Solar Angels, but I doubt you want that much cheese.

Crow
2008-03-18, 03:08 PM
As was already mentioned, create an epic INT-boosting spell, and use that spell to create more powerful INT-boosting spells.

Chronos
2008-03-18, 07:27 PM
As was already mentioned, create an epic INT-boosting spell, and use that spell to create more powerful INT-boosting spells.Don't forget to make these spells give a bunch of different types of bonuses, so they all stack with each other. Bonuses of types other than Enhancement to an ability score (or Competence to a skill directly) cost more (twice as much, I think), but it still ends up being worthwhile. An Enhancement bonus of +20 costs four times as much as an Enhancement bonus of +10, but an Enhancement bonus of +10 and a Luck bonus (say) of +10 only costs three times as much. And it gets even better when you also have something for a Morale bonus, and a Competence bonus, and a Sacred bonus, and whatever other bonus types you can think of. For that matter, a bonus to Int and a bonus to the Spellcraft skill will also effectively stack, even if they're the same type, since they're affecting different things.

Squash Monster
2008-03-18, 07:46 PM
You're a sorcerer: you have a high Cha score. In the long run you want to pick up Leadership and Epic Leadership as soon as you can, then make all your spells have the mitigating factor of requiring hundreds of people as rituals.

Since you can specify the general type of follower you want to attract, just say you just want adepts.

For now though, spellcraft-boosting spell bootstrapping works.

Jack_Simth
2008-03-18, 07:55 PM
The short answer is mitigation. If your spell takes 100 days (-2 DC per day) and 10 minutes (-2 DC per extra minute) to cast, you've got -218 DC right there, bringing it down to DC 48. But that's not the route you really want to go to break epic spellcasting.

Don't start out doing the spell you want to do.

Start by getting a horde of casters - Planar Bind a bunch of Couatl's (cast as Sorcerer-9's, which means 4th level spell slots to donate) to aid you in your spells. Each "donated" 4th level spell slot is -7 to the spellcraft DC. With DC 266, you can get that to zero with just 38 Couatl's under your belt. As you can bind each one to an open-ended task for *caster level* days, and, as a Sorcerer, you can Bind a lot of them in a day, you should be able to get that many in under ten days (use Moment of Prescience for bargaining - it'll help, a lot; you'll only be facing down the natural-1 clause on your Charisma check).

Long-term, though, you can use those Couatl's to Permanently Summon other outsider spellcasters to do the same thing. It gets rather exponential... to the point where you can animate the planet earth if you feel like it in a year and a day.

PirateMonk
2008-03-18, 08:04 PM
Long-term, though, you can use those Couatl's to Permanently Summon other outsider spellcasters to do the same thing. It gets rather exponential... to the point where you can animate the planet earth if you feel like it in a year and a day.

And gain the ability to create stars at will after 15 years.

Jack_Simth
2008-03-18, 08:16 PM
And gain the ability to create stars at will after 15 years.
You can actually do it faster with Planetars, rather than Solars (they have 9th level spell slots - plural - and a lower base CR, so a shorter cycle for the exponential growth), and have the added benefit that you can Greater Planar Bind them up front - but the Solars have more style.

Also, I have the benefit of being self-referential (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=791074#post791074) when I say this.