PDA

View Full Version : Players vs. Dark Matter from Kirby Series: A Sapient Force of Sorrow(ie Almighty Emo)

Leliel
2008-03-18, 04:18 PM
For those of you that don't know, Dark Matter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter_%28Kirby%29#Dark_Matter) is...Oh, read the entry.

Anyway, I thought with my penchant for powerful, creepy, and pitiable villans, I thought adapting it to a D&D game would be a good idea. Perhaps as an elder evil (from the book of the same name) with the power to create monsters and posses people. For added threat, I thought that the Dark Matter in a person dosen't actually subsume that person's personality, but rather excaserbates the negative and self-defeating qualities, making them nihilistic and rage-filled; Essentially, like the Dark Matter itself. So...

Is this a good idea?

Thread Channeling Dark Matter: Why do you gain posts, while I am forced to dine on the apathetic leavings of non-constructive curiosity!?

Pie Guy
2008-03-18, 04:41 PM
And maybe instead sadness, depression, or other such things, it makes the person angry.

Someone runs over their dog, the possesee tries to kill the person who did it.

Pie Guy
2008-03-18, 04:44 PM
Edit: sorry double post

Rutee
2008-03-18, 05:03 PM
You're my kind of people, Leliel. Shameless idea thief, who targets awesome things and adapts them to their own purposes in storylines. I wholeheartedly approve.

RTGoodman
2008-03-18, 05:05 PM
I couldn't make much of the Wiki entry, and I know nothing about the Kirby/Dreamland world in general, but I have one suggestion.

For either a manifestation of the Dark Matter, or maybe as just some of the creatures it spawns, check out the Gloom Golem from Monster Manual 3. I mean, just look at the little fella:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82998.jpg

Away from book as I am, I can't say anything mechanically about it, but it does fit flavor-wise.

Also, someone did a big Nintendo character d20 project over on the Wizards homebrew forums a few years back, and it might have something for you already made. I can't seem to find the correct one though, so you'll have to dig for yourself.

EDIT: Pie Guy - check out the Edit option again. You can just delete double posts there with the Delete Post option.

Leliel
2008-03-18, 05:17 PM
I couldn't make much of the Wiki entry, and I know nothing about the Kirby/Dreamland world in general, but I have one suggestion.

For either a manifestation of the Dark Matter, or maybe as just some of the creatures it spawns, check out the Gloom Golem from Monster Manual 3. I mean, just look at the little fella:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82998.jpg

:eek:

Uh...H-how m-m-may I he-hel-help y-you s-s-si-sir?

Leliel
2008-03-18, 06:30 PM
And maybe instead sadness, depression, or other such things, it makes the person angry.

Someone runs over their dog, the possesee tries to kill the person who did it.

Yes...Sounds good.

Kol Korran
2008-03-18, 08:09 PM
i haven't understood much from the Wiki entry, but it does sounds very very interesting. it sounds more like a "campaign side" villain (i mean it's not importent to the main plot, but it keeps appearing, influencing, and cross paths with the adventurers... intentionally or not). or, it could be collaborating with the main villain/s, but for it's own bizzare, alien goals.

as to ideas for it? the only thing that i can think of is to use it's subtle "influence from within" power on the characters themselves... (ooh! and on people they care for, to see the effects of failure to resist). this should be like a taint, that grows stronger when they fail to resist (simlar to the "one ring" in that aspect. but that alone) there should be no simple way to remove it, at least at first. maybe they get some clues after meeting/ conversing/ battling/ engaging Dark Matter a few times... it's some what like a serious substanbce addiction the characters find realy hard to shake off, except there is no real craving, the personality alteration depends mostly on their own character, and rehab might realy ne a fight! (another metaphore- vampire and it's need to blood?)

it's a bit late where i'm am, so some of what i wrote may came out unfocused. next time i check this out i'll see if i can clarify this, orthink of something better..

horseboy
2008-03-19, 12:00 AM
Oh, never mind, wrong Dark Matter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark%E2%80%A2Matter)