PDA

View Full Version : "You're either love it or hate it"

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-18, 04:23 PM
"You're either love it or hate it"

Does anybody else ever find this phrase completely over used. It's almost as if there aren't any topics people are utterly indiferant about.

So, does anyone ever find themselves disagreeing with people who use this cliche?

Is there anyone who can eat Marmite once or twice a year but can live without it?
Anyone who read a normally audience polarising book who was able to complete it without suffering pain but doesn't feel the desire to recomend it?
Anyone who likes to listen to Punk music and Prog Rock once in a while?
Anyone who likes Golf but not enough to spend the money required to join a club?

That sort of thing.

Flickerdart
2008-03-18, 04:29 PM
I hate such a wide range of things that anything I don't specifically detest I can vouch for to be good. This does not, however, apply to movies; most of them I don't feel strongly about either way, unless they're REALLY good or abysmal.

Rawhide
2008-03-18, 04:29 PM
People are either going to love or hate this thread.

The saying, while very overused, is meant to indicate something that gives such an emotional reaction, that you will either really love it or grow very sick of it (this is of course not always the case even when used correctly).

For example, someone might have a very blunt, jarring personality, but have other very redeeming qualities (such as honesty, kindness, etc). A lot of people might be immediately put off by this, but others will find them an excellent friend.

sktarq
2008-03-18, 04:34 PM
People are either going to love or hate this thread.

Actually I was so ambivilant I was going to just close the thread and move along but you egged me on.

Khoray
2008-03-18, 06:19 PM
I am love it!

Wait, huh?

Lord Herman
2008-03-19, 02:44 AM
Actually, I'm extremely mildly positive about Marmite.

Felixaar
2008-03-19, 04:27 AM
your bad grammar overwhelms me. seriously though, it is kinda overused, since it requires the idea that all humans have only two opinions.

SDF
2008-03-19, 05:07 AM
We live in a culture that hates and demonizes people that don't take a stance on issues or have an opinion one way or the other. It's mistaken for apathy or weakness.

"How could you not have an opinion on this? It is so important!"
"Well, not to me"
*shakes head in disapproval*

We are a society that praises the individual for taking a strong stance on a subject(as long as either side is within cultural norms) even if we think they are wrong. It's ingrained in us from a young age.

Totally Guy
2008-03-19, 07:23 AM
your bad grammar overwhelms me. seriously though, it is kinda overused, since it requires the idea that all humans have only two opinions.

Bad grammar or not, the phrase is still overused. When I read the first two lines of the OP I thought it was a post about bad grammar in common phrases, rather than actual love/hate relationships.

Ten items or less? Pah!

Iudex Fatarum
2008-03-19, 09:40 PM
A different way of saying it, my brother at one point started a paper, "cloning is like creamed spinach, people either strongly support it and like the idea or they despise it." and people are very strong in opinions about certain subjects, after all think about a political issue, some come down very strong on one side or the other. I'd give examples but I don't want to end up getting chastised over this thread. certainly the phrase is overused but in politics lots of issues come down to death and life at which point people are going to argue strongly, especially if its ambiguous justification of death.

So while it is sometimes overused some issues evoke such an visceral emotional reaction that it is true by and large. (just to overuse another colloquialism). I also believe that the comment is more in terms of the general rule instead of every single person either loves or hates, instead its most people either love or hate something

Pocketa
2008-03-19, 10:06 PM
In Soviet Russia, IT love or hate YOU!

RTGoodman
2008-03-20, 12:58 AM
I'm surprisingly neutral about a lot of things. For instance, in the music world, I recognize they're influence, but I just don't really like listening to the Beatles. Not that I don't hate them or anything - I just don't love them either. Same way for punk music, Weezer, and several other groups that people freak out about when I don't love them. Also, I've been getting a lot of flak recently for not caring about the presidential election, but that's as far as I'll go with that.

In general, people that say you have to either intensely like or or intensely dislike something are wrong. Apparently they don't realize the vast amount of apathy out there! :smalltongue:

skywalker
2008-03-20, 02:53 AM
Before your regularly scheduled post, and in place of your regularly scheduled snark, here's a surprisingly gentle reminder from skywalker:

Look at how Rawhide(an admin) responded to this post. See how he contributed something useful and interesting, without making fun of the OP for bad grammar? You can do this too, and in my opinion, you will be a happier person for it.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled post.

I, in fact, have prog rock and punk right next to each other on my iTunes playlist. I just love music. But I think that may be a bad example.

I absolutely hate this phrase, and the attitude that generally comes with it. The previous sentence was one of the few times I've used the word "absolutely" recently.

I guess I'm full of contradictions.