PDA

View Full Version : Does Still spell work like this?

Frosty
2008-03-18, 05:25 PM
Ok, so Still Spell can help you disguise the fact that you're casting. Well, you're still pulling open your spell-component pouch and getting out that abt guano. Kinda ruins the whole stealthy casting thing huh? So, the question is, does Still Spell let you cast spells without moving at all? Your bat guano will just poof and disappear without you needing to hold it? this is assuming you have a spell component pouch strapped to you of course.

If it doesn't work like this, would it be reasonable to houserule that it does work like that? That way, if your hands and shacked to the wall, you can still cast Knock?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-18, 05:35 PM
Nah, I'd say you still have to hold the material components unless you have the Eschew Material feat.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-18, 05:42 PM
By RAW, you still need to "manipulate the material components" even on a stilled spell, although now you would be able to do so while grappled or tied up.

Weird, no?

In actual gameplay - does anyone actually use material components, like, ever?

Frosty
2008-03-18, 05:47 PM
Not really, but as a DM, I plan on using Ranged Disarm (from CW right?) against the wizard in my party next fight. It'll be fun to sunder/disarm the component pouch.

To be honest, Eschew Materials suck too much for anyone to invest a feat into it.

Reel On, Love
2008-03-18, 05:59 PM
Not really, but as a DM, I plan on using Ranged Disarm (from CW right?) against the wizard in my party next fight. It'll be fun to sunder/disarm the component pouch.

To be honest, Eschew Materials suck too much for anyone to invest a feat into it.

Any wizard who only has one material component pouch deserves that. It's not like it's expensive. Why not have, say, ten? And have the rogue take 20 on Sleight of Hand to hide them in your robes?

Smiley_
2008-03-18, 06:03 PM
To my knowledge, one could cast still spells without arcane spell faliure in heavy armor and such. Also, I think that there are a handfull of spells that don't require material components or focusses.

Not entirely sure though.

Frosty
2008-03-18, 06:08 PM
Any wizard who only has one material component pouch deserves that. It's not like it's expensive. Why not have, say, ten? And have the rogue take 20 on Sleight of Hand to hide them in your robes?

This party...doesn't believe in rogues or other sneaky types. considers them useless. They do have 3 casters though. Soon enough I'll be throwing traps of Dispel against them. And strangely enough. None of them have a backup pouch.

senrath
2008-03-18, 06:09 PM

Unless they're almost to epic levels and want to get the Ignore Material Components feat. Then I feel it's worth it.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-18, 06:31 PM
The initial assumption about stealthy casting seems inaccurate. The feat mostly exists so you can cast spells with no material component while tied up or otherwise immolized, or ignore Arcane Spell Failure while casting, as I understand? (A spell with no components is a great way to escape the best imprisonment.)

How it helps stealthy casting is a DM call / houserule, since the core rules don't have rules for that that I'm aware. (Dark Sun 3.5 at athas.org had special rules for that, I think.)

Frosty
2008-03-18, 06:41 PM
you can't even cast Freedom of Movement while immobilized since it was material component and a focus and all that stuff. I think Knock only has a verbal component though...can anyone check that for me?

Paul H
2008-03-18, 06:46 PM
To my knowledge, one could cast still spells without arcane spell faliure in heavy armor and such. Also, I think that there are a handfull of spells that don't require material components or focusses.

Not entirely sure though.

Hi

True Strike comes to mind.

Cheers
Paul H

Miles Invictus
2008-03-18, 06:54 PM
True Strike has a verbal component and a focus, but not a somatic component...so you don't actually need to use Still Spell on it.

Frosty
2008-03-18, 09:13 PM
Fwee. Just checked. Knock is only Verbal. You can open your own shackles. No need for Still Spell or Eschew Materials. Although they're still nice to have.

Collin152
2008-03-18, 09:30 PM
Fwee. Just checked. Knock is only Verbal. You can open your own shackles. No need for Still Spell or Eschew Materials. Although they're still nice to have.

Isn't it odd that the spell is called knock, but you remain motienless?
Like, you don't even knock on it.
Maybe it's the verbal componant. "knock knock!"

Frosty
2008-03-18, 09:32 PM
Well, depending on the situation, you'd want to Silent Spell the Knock as well. "Twas a mechanical defect, I swear!"

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-18, 11:12 PM
Dimension Door. It's only verbal, and therefore better IMHO than FoM. Perfect defense against anything, especially with a couple Celerities prepared.

Frosty
2008-03-18, 11:17 PM
It's too bad not everyone gets DD however :( Tis a good spell.

leperkhaun
2008-03-19, 06:16 AM
wish is verbal only. managed to suprise, dispell the mages FoM and got him grappled, he wished away, came back, with some nasties.....tough fight.