View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 32: Chile II vs The BAM

ArenaManager
2008-03-18, 08:11 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 32: Chile II vs. The BAM

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/GlassArena.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Chile II - chilepepper (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8505)
The BAM - bayar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=32671)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

chilepepper
2008-03-19, 12:23 AM
Alright, this'll be fun. I anticipate my loss, but I may surprise myself. I see you have a scroll of ER, TS, and SH; and a wand of MM. Looking back on your previous matches, I assume they are Expeditious Retreat, True Strike, Shield, and Magic Missile. If that's wrong, could you clarify.

If you have no purchases, we can start.

[roll0]

Bayar
2008-03-19, 02:55 AM
yeah, you are right. Need to codify better so that it wont be that obvious. (good thing the knight in the previous round didnt figure what S was until he was Zzzz'ing)

Init: [roll0]

Oh and dont say that you are probably going to die, I saw some surprising wins in the arena, when all the odds were against me :smallamused:

Edit: OTOH, after I read your char sheet, I have to agree with you. You are dead...

chilepepper
2008-03-19, 03:33 AM
edit: nevermind

Looks like you're up first.

edit2: If I didn't know what the scrolls were, you'd have to tell me. But if I didn't ask, then you'd get away with it.

Bayar
2008-03-19, 03:49 AM
The BAM - Round 1

K. Starting in Y13. Casting a spell. With the wand in my hand. And moving to T11.

I end my turn.

Stats:
HP: 13/13
AC: 20 (+4 mage armor 1/600)
0 lvl spells: 5
1 lvl spells: 3
Familiar hiding somewhere in Y14...dunno what modifiers I have to apply to the roll, but probably the opponent wont bother to roll a spot check, or even look for him, since he has me in his sights... if my familiar cant hide in this arena, he is in one of my outfits pocket...

chilepepper
2008-03-19, 04:55 AM
[roll0] to identify spell cast.

edit: Also, did your familiar enter the arena with you?

Bayar
2008-03-19, 07:58 AM
it is Mage armor (like you didnt know already...) and my familiar is with me. In one of my pockets or something...

chilepepper
2008-03-19, 09:22 AM
I'll start in A13, mounted, with a vial in my hand.

Speak in draconic: Mage Armor eh, well let's keep the playing field level.

Standard action: Cast a spell (if you succeed at your spellcraft, it's mage armor)
Move action: move to A5

statsstats later I sleep now

Done

Bayar
2008-03-20, 06:41 AM
Yeah, like I dont know what spells you can cast...

The BAM - Round 2

Double-move to J11. (T11-S12-O12-N11-M11-L12-K12-J11 60 Ft in total)

Your turn.

Stats:
HP: 13/13
AC: 20 (+4 mage armor 1/600)

chilepepper
2008-03-20, 07:47 AM
I breathe Entangling Acid Breath on you. [roll0] acid damage, Ref DC15 for half damage. You are Entangled for [roll1] rounds.

Hoofy runs us to A26.

stats
HP: 5/5
AC: 19 T14 F16
Spells: 3 / 3
Condition: Mage Armor (R3601)

Done.

Bayar
2008-03-20, 08:06 AM
Doubt you can breathe. Dunno the range of your breath weapon, but You dont quite have LOE completely. Think you cant, but I might be wrong. And still, it is a little damage, compared to the damage I might inflict on you with only 1 shot...

Talic
2008-03-20, 07:18 PM
High Ref Talic

LoE is established. Range is 55 feet, within range of Chile's breath weapon. (as is clearly visible now, a 60' line of acid) The BAM has cover relative to chile, so benefits from all the benefits of that. These include +4 to AC and +2 to Reflex saves.

EDIT:
@Bayar:This arena has no LOS blockages with the glass, so your familiar cannot hide. Per your post, it is in one of your pockets.

Bayar
2008-03-21, 01:24 AM
Ah. Ok, now I know the range. So how many times is he allowed to cast it ?

Also, Reflex Save: [roll0]

Now, because I have LOE on you, I use my wand to inflict pain upon you. :smallbiggrin:

The BAM - round 3

Attack with wand !
Damage: [roll1]

And use a move action to retrieve a scroll.

Stats:
HP: 9/13
AC: 20 (+4 mage armor 3/600)-forgot to edit this in the stat block of round 2

Scroll in my hand = Expeditious retreat

EDIT: so I take the full 4 HP damage. Big deal. You also get 4 damage. and are at 1 HP. Feeling lucky ?

chilepepper
2008-03-21, 05:16 AM
You take [roll0] Acid damage from the entanglement, and then it ends.

Hoofy moves us to D20.

I breathe another entangling acid breath at you.
You take [roll1] acid damage (Ref save for half again).
You are entangled again, for [roll2] rounds this time.

Then Hoofy moves us to E26.

Done.

stats
HP: 1/5
AC: 19 T14 F16
Spells: 3 / 2
Condition: Mage Armor (R3601)

edit: Lucky? Maybe. Strategically at an advantage, definitely.
edit2: If you cast a spell, I'll attempt a spellcraft check. If you would, put the name of the spell in a spoiler by itself. That way, if I pass the spellcraft check, I can just look in that spoiler, I won't have to wait for you or a ref.

Bayar
2008-03-21, 07:31 AM
erm, how many times per day can you do that **** ?

Ref: [roll0] If concealed, add +2 to result.

Doubt that you are still at 60 Ft away from me, it is more like 80-90 feet, which makes your attack not reach me tehnically.

Oh ,and for some reason I cant see your sheet right now.

Edit 2: Oh, and I think you need to make a concentration check since you cast while your mount is moving. (well, tehnically he moves stops and moves again...may be overruled by a ref.)

Talic
2008-03-21, 08:12 AM
High Ref Talic

Per the Draconic Breath Feat, the breath weapon is a supernatural ability. Per supernatural abilities:

However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks.

Movement is legal. Range again, is 55 feet, and again, The BAM benefits from cover. (using bottom right corner of ChileI's square, following lines to each corner of the BAM's square, top left corner is blocked)

chilepepper
2008-03-21, 06:42 PM
I double checked the links to my sheet, both in my signature and in the match set up post. If you're still having problems, let me know. Since you can't get to my sheet, I'll give you the information to answer your question.

Feats: Draconic Breath, versatile spellcaster
Spell slots: 5 / 4

That's all the info you need to answer your question. If you still can't get to my sheet, I'll be glad to find a way to get you a copy.

edit: You are correct about spellcasting and mounted combat, if I were casting a spell, I'd need a concentration check

chilepepper
2008-03-21, 07:35 PM
BTW Talic, your ruling on cover is wrong.

Cover

To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

I choose a corner of my square and draw lines to all four corners of targets square. The pillars aren't hard corners so I have three of my four corners to choose from. He doesn't get cover. It didn't matter this time, but you should know for next time.

Talic
2008-03-21, 08:34 PM
High Ref Talic

Just double checked. Cover stands. To determine cover, you must choose a corner of your square, and trace lines to all four corners of opponent's square. If any of those lines passes through cover, opponent benefits from cover. No matter which corner of your square you choose, when you draw a line to the top left corner of your opponent's square, it passes directly through the pillar in J10. Thus, the pillar provides cover. The pillar might not be a hard corner, however, the target's square is. If the line has barely grazed the corner of the square with the pillar, without passing through the pillar itself, you'd be absolutely correct. Granted, with the saving throw made, the +2 doesn't matter, one way or the other, but it is useful to know.

Meant I10, but misread map.

chilepepper
2008-03-21, 09:00 PM
High Ref Talic

Just double checked. Cover stands. To determine cover, you must choose a corner of your square, and trace lines to all four corners of opponent's square. If any of those lines passes through cover, opponent benefits from cover. No matter which corner of your square you choose, when you draw a line to the top left corner of your opponent's square, it passes directly through the pillar in J10. Thus, the pillar provides cover. The pillar might not be a hard corner, however, the target's square is. If the line has barely grazed the corner of the square with the pillar, without passing through the pillar itself, you'd be absolutely correct. Granted, with the saving throw made, the +2 doesn't matter, one way or the other, but it is useful to know.

What are you talking about? There is no pillar in J10. There are no pillars in the J line, there are no pillars in the 10 line. J10 isn't even in between us. Seriously, get your head out of your arse, there is no cover, would you like me to draw the lines on the map and send it to you? Jesus christ.

Talic
2008-03-21, 09:47 PM
High Ref Talic

Misread the map. Still, calm down. It's a game. There's no call for posts such as the one above. Ever.

chilepepper
2008-03-21, 10:43 PM
High Ref Talic

Misread the map. Still, calm down. It's a game. There's no call for posts such as the one above. Ever.
talic
There aren't any pillars in the 'I' line either and I10 still isn't between us. Turns out, I'm not going to dispute what another ref says unless I'm sure. If you hadn't screwed up so frequently in my matches, I probably wouldn't be so short.

Bayar
2008-03-22, 03:58 AM
H16 doesnt block?

Bayar
2008-03-22, 07:04 AM
Whatever. I am at 0 HP, entangled and in no way would I get to shoot you again, and on your turn, acid will blow me into negatives. So I surrender. Good thing I already have enough XP for level 2 :smallbiggrin:

chilepepper
2008-03-23, 10:12 AM
No H16 doesn't block, and even if one of the pillars blocked, it'd still only be +2 to reflex. Good game.

Talic
2008-03-23, 08:24 PM
High Ref Talic

Chile II wins, and collects the aforementioned prizes.