PDA

View Full Version : Wildlings

sonofzeal
2008-03-18, 08:25 PM
Alright, so one of my current gaming groups is working together on a homebrew campaign setting involving the colonization of a new continent. To set them apart from the standard "civilized" races, the indigenous peoples are all anthropomorphic animals (yes, "furries"). Some of these are adapted from official WotC content, some are straight copy-paste, some are completely original. In all cases, what we want is a race that (a) mechanically catches the flavour of the species, and (b) is balanced compared to the official races. Any feedback on either of these points, or general suggestions, would be appreciated.

Catfolk Wildling
- "Catfolk" from Races of the Wild

Foxkin Wilding

+2 Dex, -2 Con
Small size (+1 AC/attack, +4 Hide, -4 Grapple)
Base speed 30
Low-Light Vision
+1 Dodge bonus to AC
Speaks Common and Canid
Favored Class: Scout

Wolfkin Wildling

+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Charisma
Medium size
Base speed 30
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
+1 natural armor bonus.
Speaks Common and Canid
Favored Class: Ranger.
Level adjustment +1

Rattakin Wildling

+2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Cha
Base speed 30
+2 to Hide and Move Silent
+4 to Balance, Climb, and Swim
take 10 on Climb
Darkvision 60
Bite attack (1d4+str+disease)
Filth Fever (Fort DC 10+con, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con, see Dire Rat)
- harmless to Ratfolk but can be "cured" anyway.
Speaks Common and Undercommon
Favored Class: Rogue

Featherkin Wildling
- "Raptoran" from Races of the Wild

Otterkin Wildling

+2 Dex, -2 Int, -2 Wis
Base speed 30
+4 to Balance, Tumble, and Swim
take 10 on Swim
Low-Light Vision
Hold Breath (Con*4)
Proficient with all simple weapons

Oxfolk Wildling

+2 Str, -2 Dex, +6 Con, +2 Wis
Large size
Base Speed 30
Space/Reach: 10/10
+3 Natural Armor
Gore attack (1d8+str)
Powerful Charge - Gore does (2d6+str) on charge
Speaks Common and Bovine
Favored Class: Knight
Level adjustment +2

Rabbitfolk Wildling

+2 Wis, -2 Str
Base speed 30, Burrow speed 5
Gnaw - as a full-round action, Rabbitfolk can chew through rope and bindings
+2 Balance, Jump
Speaks Common and Lapin
Favored Class: Druid
Special - Rabbitfolk Druids are prohibited from assuming the form of a predator through Wildshape, Shapechange, or similar abilities as part of their Druidic oath.

JackMage666
2008-03-18, 09:19 PM
Generally, with Small size comes a -2 to Str.

I don't get your Rat Wilding type race, though. Why are they not intelligent? Generally speaking, rats are rather intelligent and cunning creatures. Also, they're just as apt at swimming than climbing, and a swim speed is more balanced than a climb speed (in a general campaign).

From the looks of it, the Foxkin and the Rattakin should be +1 LA. Foxkin are set up to be good Rogues, Scouts, basically any non-combat style character. The Dodge AC and size modifiers only increase this, and the fact that they're strong for their size doesn't either.

Rattakin have a climb speed, high bonuses to skill checks, and are strong for their size. Also, a natural weapon that comes with a disease. This one is more debatable, as it does have low mental stats, but it's still edging too strong for a +0 LA.

sonofzeal
2008-03-18, 09:36 PM
Generally, with Small size comes a -2 to Str.

I don't get your Rat Wilding type race, though. Why are they not intelligent? Generally speaking, rats are rather intelligent and cunning creatures. Also, they're just as apt at swimming than climbing, and a swim speed is more balanced than a climb speed (in a general campaign).

From the looks of it, the Foxkin and the Rattakin should be +1 LA. Foxkin are set up to be good Rogues, Scouts, basically any non-combat style character. The Dodge AC and size modifiers only increase this, and the fact that they're strong for their size doesn't either.

Rattakin have a climb speed, high bonuses to skill checks, and are strong for their size. Also, a natural weapon that comes with a disease. This one is more debatable, as it does have low mental stats, but it's still edging too strong for a +0 LA.
Thank you for your thoughts!

I put the Foxkin at LA +0 because, while their AC is high, they really have no other advantage. Compare them to Halflings, who have the same dex and size bonus to AC, and +1 to all saves instead of a +1 dodge bonus. Even if you assume those two are equal, the Halfling has a number of other abilities and traits whereas the Foxkin has little else of use. To justify giving them LA, I'd need to assume that -2 Str is significantly harsher than -2 Con, and I don't believe that's the case.

Hmmm.... I do see your problem with Rattakin though. A single natural attack is rarely considered a major balancing factor as far as I'm aware, but you're right that Swim speed is more balanced than Climb, and that it doesn't really fit the mental image for a rat perfectly. To be honest, I was looking at the Dire Rat page as I made that, hence the Climb, Disease, and low Int. What if I changed that Int penalty to a Str one? Would that balance things?

(edit)
Rattakin Wildling v2.0

+2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Cha
Base speed 30
+4 to Balance, Climb, and Swim
take 10 on Swim
Darkvision 60
Bite attack (1d4+str+disease)
Filth Fever (Fort DC 10+con, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con, see Dire Rat)
- harmless to Ratfolk but can be "cured" anyway.

sonofzeal
2008-03-20, 01:18 AM
I haven't run these names past the others in the group yet, but I thought I'd post them before this topic disappears entirely.

Skink Lizardfolk
- "Poison Dusk Lizardfolk" from Monster Manual 3

Gila Lizardfolk
- "Lizardfolk" from Monster Manual 1

Monitor Lizardfolk
- "Blackscale Lizardfolk" from Monster Manual 3

....I'm not happy with Gila, if only because they're somewhat poisonous and Lizardfolk aren't supposed to be (even the Poison Dusk ones, despite the misleading name). We do want to link them more closely with the real-world species though. Does anyone know a better species of lizard that more closely resembles the MM1 Lizardfolk? Or would it be reasonable to give Lizardfolk a mild poison (say, DC 10+con, 1d3 dex / 1d3 con) without raising their CR/LA?

Any more comments on the mechanical balance of the other races would be thoroughly appreciated as well.

sonofzeal
2008-03-29, 09:33 PM
Frogling Wildling

+2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
Base speed 20, swim 20
+4 to Swim and Escape Artist
+2 to Spot and Search
take 10 on Swim
Low-Light Vision
Cannot suffocate while skin is exposed to fresh air or water
Headbutt attack (1d4+str)
Pincer staff (1d10/x2, twohanded, free grapple on hit - see MM 164)
Proficient with all simple weapons
Speaks Watercommon
Favored Class: Factotum
Level Adjustment: +1

Froglings are a very curious race in more than one way. Their body language is incomprehensible to most other races, making them difficult to deal with. They are perpetually in a war of attrition with the Skink Lizardfolk, but are well-liked by travelling Otterkin traders who have taken the time to learn their mannerisms, because of their distinctive craftsmanship. When threatened, Froglings of all ages fight as a group, without regard to age or social position. Their culture is heavily based around the weather and seasons, and know more about climate patterns and marshland navagation than anyone else. Adventurers who can open dialogue often find them willing to offer all kinds of assistance in exchange for information and curious trinkets.

PEACH, as always.