PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #541 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2008-03-19, 12:55 AM
New comic is up.

(Also new Erfworld.)

Qov
2008-03-19, 01:01 AM
Ooh, nasty. I wondered what had happened to O-Chul.

Upside-down, already unconscious from being hurled across the courtyard, shark, acid bath and spikes. But I think I'll put my monopoly money on escapes through Deus Ex Machina and lives happily ever after.

Lykan
2008-03-19, 01:01 AM
As an owner of Dungeonscape: HAH! :smallbiggrin:

FujinAkari
2008-03-19, 01:02 AM
woo! I was online when it updated!

Great comic, although I cheated at the beginning, scrolling down because I was all "Ooooh! It might be O-chul!"

Kekken
2008-03-19, 01:05 AM
Dude! That **** is wack!!

Seriously though, any questions as to the degree of evilness in the invading army are now instafail.

Tyrael
2008-03-19, 01:06 AM
Wow! Poor O-chul....(side note, first page zomg!)

Monopoly money...we love you, MitD, don't ever change! :smallbiggrin:

fractal
2008-03-19, 01:08 AM
Wow! Poor O-chul....
Looks like he might not be paralyzed anymore, though. Maybe his bonds are even susceptible to acid! Now if only that shark is evil, so he can smite it...

tenguro
2008-03-19, 01:09 AM
wow came here accidently (originally going to gamefaqs) and notice the update, wooo. Great job as always, Acid breathing shark eh? I put my money on...dead.

CDRrules
Sheer awesome :)

Kyeudo
My question: Was it Rich or the other guy who wrote the Acidborn Template?

Kettle
2008-03-19, 01:12 AM
For a comic about Dead or Alive, there's a surprising lack of bazongas. If you know what I mean. :smalltongue:

FoE
2008-03-19, 01:15 AM
Rich ... where the hell are the sharks with the lasers on their heads? :smallmad:

SPoD
2008-03-19, 01:17 AM
My question: Was it Rich or the other guy who wrote the Acidborn Template?

I'd assume this is Rich's way of saying it's his. I doubt he would take such a mean shot at anyone other than himself.

And yeah, O-Chul is definitely NOT still paralyzed. His facial expression is different and his arms are tied behind his back. Not much need to tie someone's arms when they've been paralyzed for four months.

Yendor
2008-03-19, 01:19 AM
Oh my. Poor, poor, Mr. Stiffly O-chul. :smalleek:

I hope the MitD wins.

Animefunkmaster
2008-03-19, 01:20 AM
The end is near... I really like O-chul...

Got to love how those demon roaches have stuck around for so long.

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-19, 01:22 AM
:smallbiggrin: Aw, man, acidborn shark.. Good one, giant.

...And poor O-Chul. :smallsigh: Ouch..

But yeah, we believe in you, Stiffly!

sun_tzu
2008-03-19, 01:24 AM
Whoa.
If O-Chul can survive this, I'm expecting his Badass Quotient to rise 120%.
(Or his Luck Quotient. Whichever.)

Ascension
2008-03-19, 01:29 AM
LOL @ "They'll let any old hack write a sourcebook these days."

Great use of your own work there. The acid-breathing template's my absolute favorite part of Dungeonscape.

Oh, and too bad about O-Chul there... :smalleek:

Remirach
2008-03-19, 01:31 AM
Oh, sweet. I almost jumped out of my skin to see an update -- and it's a TEAM EVIL update, and with O-chul!

Actually my sympathy for a guy held captive by this bunch for weeks made me a little queasy and not really laughing at the antics going on around him. Oh and -- Xykon appears to have picked himself up a hobgoblin cleric and Redcloak is notably absent...

SPoD
2008-03-19, 01:34 AM
ctually my sympathy for a guy held captive by this bunch for weeks made me a little queasy and not really laughing at the antics going on around him.

Yeah...if you look really close, O-Chul has a ton of new scars all over his face and body. I bet they've been doing stuff like this to him for weeks.

Mr._Michael
2008-03-19, 01:34 AM
C'mon resistance, show us what you've got! :D

Okay, maybe that's grasping at straws, but right now that's all O'Chul has going for him right now. Besides... I obviously want the MitD to win!

BigFatLion
2008-03-19, 01:39 AM
Okay, this one boggles me a bit. How many times have they dropped him into the tank? Not to mention where do you get as acid breathing shark?

Yendor
2008-03-19, 01:41 AM
Just noticed the roach with the top hat and mustache. On the Monopoly house. Excellent touch.

Rockphed
2008-03-19, 01:42 AM
My money is on "Levels, takes some über-broken prestige class, and then escapes

And: Go O-Chul!

How many times have they dropped him into the tank?

I think they do a different thing with him each time. I also think his "Most Durable" designation is doing him lotsa good.

Alex Warlorn
2008-03-19, 01:44 AM
My money is on Xykon's bet, the skeleton knows his gambles.

I just wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS REDCLOAK? There's no way in Hades he'd miss this! A member of the brotherhood he's had decades to develope a frothing hatred for? He'd love every second of this!! He's have the TeeVo record it so he could watch again, and again, and AGAIN! This is what petty selfish revenge is all about. I'm surprised Redcloak didn't get the ring side seat with the popcorn!

Assuming he just hasn't been re-frozen, you gottan give the bald paladin credit. He's not adding to their amusement by begging for mercy or screaming out in defiance: which Team Evil would love to enjoy hearing.

But why not just use 'Dominate Person' on the smuck get the information out of him that way? Or kill him and use Speak with Dead where he won't have a choice in what he tells them? I know they're doing this primarly for their own amusement, but still!

Eita
2008-03-19, 01:44 AM
Heh. An acid-breathing shark.

Wow! Poor O-chul....(side note, first page zomg!)

Monopoly money...we love you, MitD, don't ever change! :smallbiggrin:

You mean real Monopoly money!

Rich ... where the hell are the sharks with the lasers on their heads? :smallmad:

"All I wanted were sharks with freaking lasers on their heads!"

dogmac
2008-03-19, 01:49 AM
Poor O'Chul!

Though the big question is.... how did they get his clothes off him when he is all stiff? That would have been an icky and a tricky job.

Proof that MITD is still underage too.

Turcano
2008-03-19, 01:51 AM
Okay, I have to admit that I read the MITD's line as "Mr. Stiffy." I don't know why.

CGCL_Andy
2008-03-19, 01:55 AM
Oh man! Poor Mr. Stiffly

kierthos
2008-03-19, 02:02 AM
I'm going to have to vote for "Saved by the Resistance at the last second." (Possibly by someone swinging down on a rope.)

Stallogarro
2008-03-19, 02:02 AM
Oh man... First I thought this was filler material, you know? How Team Evil kicks back and has some fun in the middle of evil oppression stuff... :smalleek: Yep, should have known better!

Well of course, this IS after all how they kick back and relax... they're evil!

Mirrinus
2008-03-19, 02:04 AM
About time he showed up. Makes me wonder though, what happened to poor O-Chul during the months that have transpired between when we last saw him and just now? And how'd it take Team Evil that long to subject him to this elaborate form of entertainment anyway?

Mr._Michael
2008-03-19, 02:05 AM
I just wonder... WHERE THE HECK IS REDCLOAK? Hmmm... of course, you are right. Perhaps... no! Redcloak wouldn't step in at the last minute to save O'Chul himself, would he? Even FOR himself? I suppose if he claimed him as his Spoils of War or some such.

Ya think?:smallconfused:

RosesOnConcrete
2008-03-19, 02:10 AM
Now THAT's how Team Evil does it. (Belkar would fit right in.)

And I can't decide between "Deader than doorknobs" and "Saved at the last minute by a Resistance suicide mission".

Liliedhe
2008-03-19, 02:18 AM
Poor O'Chul, but it's not like we couldn't expect something like this.

Which doesn't make it better, but worse, really. My bet is on 'lives to be tortured another day', because Paladins seem to be exempt from the "Terry Pratchet Chances of Survival"-Rule here.

Porthos
2008-03-19, 02:20 AM
A bit abrupt, but....

Hooray for the return of Mr. Stiffly! :smallcool:

Glad to see that he hasn't Fallen yet. Though it does look like he's in for a different type of fall soon enough. :smallwink:

Rethorn
2008-03-19, 02:24 AM
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lets hope that when Hinjo said O'chul was tough, he meant really.. really tough.

Dunamin
2008-03-19, 02:26 AM
Ooh, I have another bet:

O-chul fights valiantly to survive but just as he is about to perish, he is saved by Redcloak! The show went on without his knowledge and he's mad about being left out, thus he'll use his magic in the last moment to keep O-chul alive... for now!

Incidentally, O-chul is just barely still conscious but Xykon magic missiles him at the end of the strip to win the bet. :smallbiggrin:

Frosty
2008-03-19, 02:29 AM
Out of curiosity, since Rich co-authored Dungeonscape, does that mean he won't be breaking copyright laws by using Dungeonscape material in OOTS?

CockroachTeaParty
2008-03-19, 02:35 AM
HA! Love the acid-breathing shark line. :smallwink:

Now... somebody needs to attach a laser beam to its head.

Vince3
2008-03-19, 02:37 AM
My bet? He's gonna look like Xykon in a few minutes......... a skeleton.

Elrond
2008-03-19, 02:40 AM
hehe the paladin will die:smallamused:

it would be really cool if elan saved o chul

Ridureyu
2008-03-19, 02:40 AM
Acid-breathing sharks have very few uses. This is one of them.

Beren One-Hand
2008-03-19, 02:41 AM
Out of curiosity, since Rich co-authored Dungeonscape, does that mean he won't be breaking copyright laws by using Dungeonscape material in OOTS?

Satire has long been established as Fair Use, which basically means he can use any material he feels like.

Balgus
2008-03-19, 02:43 AM
Ochul flies 100 meters (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0463.html)and arms still raised, eyebrows furled, and after smashing and breaking rock and mountain, he is still alive.

i cannot say that dropping him into a vat of acid can kill him.

Either that or he is already dead cause his arms are bent backwards - which no PC/NPC has been able to lower his arms yet) and his eyebrows are neutral now - and not angry anymore...

HonoreDB
2008-03-19, 02:44 AM

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/1431/copyrightlawfm8.th.jpg (http://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copyrightlawfm8.jpg)

turkishproverb
2008-03-19, 02:46 AM

Work for hire. He owns nothign.

chesch
2008-03-19, 02:46 AM
Looks like he might not be paralyzed anymore, though. Maybe his bonds are even susceptible to acid! Now if only that shark is evil, so he can smite it...

he needs something resembling a symbol of his G_D to be able to smite. As they probably won't allow him weapons, armor, shields, items, and anything that will help him ... I don't think that he will be able to smite anything.

factotum
2008-03-19, 02:55 AM
he needs something resembling a symbol of his G_D to be able to smite.

By the RAW he doesn't, AFAIK. Rich's Paladins seem to be slightly different from RAW, though, so I'm not discounting your theory entirely...

SoD
2008-03-19, 03:35 AM
Oh gods...NOOO!!!

He's going to survive. He's got to survive. You beleive me, right???

:eek:

shadeofblack
2008-03-19, 03:36 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY we're back to xykon!!! thanks, giant!:smallsmile:

shadeofblack
2008-03-19, 03:43 AM
oh, by the way... incase you're wondering why redcloak wasn't in the comic...

that paladin dude is the only clue to information regarding how the other gates are guarded (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) so the next strip will probably be redcloak stopping the game.

and the mitd is obviously a baby torrasque.

HarmlessPenguin
2008-03-19, 04:01 AM
Oh gods...NOOO!!!

He's going to survive. He's got to survive. You beleive me, right???

:eek:

He's actually got better than even odds of survival according to the bets at least SoD; 3-to-2 say he's gonna live, though one of the three does think he'll be in the negatives

Dark Wolf
2008-03-19, 04:05 AM
O-Chul must have had the paralysis wear off by now. The game wouldn't be fun otherwise if he couldn't react. What's the point on betting on it if he's just going to sink to the bottom?.

Fingolfin
2008-03-19, 04:22 AM
Oh common, how this makes sense, hehe, very nice comic. :smallsmile:

Niknokitueu
2008-03-19, 04:25 AM
Looks like O'Chul is going to die (again?).

I second a redcloak reprieve due to information requirements.

D'oH! Forgot that people can refuse to be raised: If O'Chul had already died, he would certainly not allow himself to be brought back (due to his gate knowledge).

The game must have been played with other citizens instead until now.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

shylocxs
2008-03-19, 04:26 AM
The end is near... I really like O-chul...

Got to love how those demon roaches have stuck around for so long.

Poor, poor O-Chul.

But I have to agree... my Ti-Vo is always recording the D.R.E.M. network!

Holammer
2008-03-19, 04:31 AM
I had problems getting today's strip, but it seems the bad guys can't figure out if the guys is dead or not in his stunned state. But he can't be totally rigid as his arms have been moved behind his back?

All in all a really odd strip, it broke the flow like the Hoover Dam. Can't wait to see what Redcloak is up to and what is MitD doing in the box thingie? So many questions.

holywhippet
2008-03-19, 04:32 AM
My theory? In order to encourage "Mr Stiffly", the MitD will clap his hands. The shockwave from this will blast him out of the tank and probably out of the city. There's even a chance he'll land near where Haley and co. are.

Lumenadducere
2008-03-19, 04:34 AM
Heh, I wonder if O-Chul is actually going to make it out of this one. Story conventions say he must, but I wouldn't be surprised if Giant pulled something new on us.

Yendor
2008-03-19, 04:39 AM
what is MitD doing in the box thingie? So many questions.

It's part of the show. He's preparing for a Houdini act! He'll try to escape from the box. Except he won't.

J.Gellert
2008-03-19, 04:40 AM
He's been through so much already, I doubt he'll die now.

I wonder if I can put it down to numbers. Total immersion in acid is 10d6 per round, but as a mid-level paladin, he has a number of d10s... On the other hand, the shark might not even attack because sharks seem to prefer prey that moves and bleeds as opposed to MrStiffly.

But hey. Xykon has killed so many people, that he should know better than anyone! I trust his bet. Alive - but with negative hit points.

banjo1985
2008-03-19, 04:41 AM
Oh dear...poor O'Chuul :smalleek:

Nice to see Team Evil having a bit of time to relax, I'm putting 5 copper pieces on the paladin surviving! I'm not going to bet against Xykon, I do have at least one brain cell. :smallamused:

fractal
2008-03-19, 05:03 AM
I wonder if I can put it down to numbers. Total immersion in acid is 10d6 per round, but as a mid-level paladin, he has a number of d10s... On the other hand, the shark might not even attack because sharks seem to prefer prey that moves and bleeds as opposed to MrStiffly.
Well, according to Miko, Hinjo's more powerful than O-Chul, so since Hinjo is probably 12 or 13, O-Chul is at most 11. On the other hand, Hinjo describes O-Chul as the toughest of them all, implying a high Con, and also selects him to command the paladins in the throne room.

Therefore, shall we say level 11, 18 Con? That's about 109 hp with no gear, unless he rolled particularly well (also possible, given Hinjo's comment). 10d6 Acid is ~35 damage, so O-Chul has 3 or 4 rounds before melting into sludge.

But hey. Xykon has killed so many people, that he should know better than anyone! I trust his bet. Alive - but with negative hit points.
I wouldn't take Xykon's word for it. He just gets bored and likes to take crazy chances.

random11
2008-03-19, 05:04 AM
I want "Mr. Stiffly" to escape.

No special sympathy to the paladin, I just want to look at the roach's face (sort of) when he is forced to find real monopoly money to pay back the bet...

AslanCross
2008-03-19, 05:08 AM
I applaud the Giant for self-deprecating humor, i.e. Acidborn Shark.

Winterwind
2008-03-19, 05:32 AM
Awww, I'm feeling really bad for the poor guy. :smallfrown:

His eyes are open, for crying out loud! Being thrown with eyes wide open into acid... ow, the horror! :smalleek:

I had problems getting today's strip, but it seems the bad guys can't figure out if the guys is dead or not in his stunned state. But he can't be totally rigid as his arms have been moved behind his back?I'm pretty sure they are actually taking bets in what state he will be after this ordeal.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-03-19, 05:34 AM
I think MitD is going to win this one. Acid breaks O-Chul's bonds, he smites the shark, maybe levels because of this, and then smashes the glass, soaking the gathered evil guys. MitD is too strong to be damaged and Xykon is already a skeleton anyways, but the rest of them could die. Which is why Redcloak isn't there.

Hranat
2008-03-19, 05:37 AM
O-chul! No!!!

Wait... he's not in the 'let's smack the sapphire' position anymore, he even has his hands tied behind his back! He isn't paralyzed! Yay O-chul! Enact, enact, enact the daring escape scene away from the acid pit!

SteveMB
2008-03-19, 05:46 AM
About time he showed up. Makes me wonder though, what happened to poor O-Chul during the months that have transpired between when we last saw him and just now?

It seems that

Belkar is just piling up the bad karma (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html), isn't he?

Felixaar
2008-03-19, 05:52 AM
Hmm. I think O-chul is awake, since seeing him float to the bottom would be pointless. I'd say he'll live, since it'd be kind of pointless for him to die now (though i'd love to see a "splash" and O-chul gets devoured off panel, team evil making various comments. Then they bring out the next prisoner and it is... who? Redcloak? The dreaded zombie miko?) so he'll either live or live and be killed soon after. Wonder if they have gotten any info on the gates... I think we're about to find out. Does O-chul even have info on the gates? Shojo and Roy are the only ones I know and they're both dead now.

Also giant, thanks for switching to team evil. I was getting kinda sick of the celia/belkar plot, and you've gone back to classic oots. I gotta say, if you read this that is, that you're one of the best writers i've read.

Blaznak
2008-03-19, 05:55 AM
You know, I wonder how many acid breathing sharks are out there in fiction.
We have this one, then there was the one in the Sam & Max computer game. Anyothers?
Later!

dish
2008-03-19, 06:06 AM
Tsutsiko and the Wight (with boots) vote for dead.
Xykon, hobgoblin cleric and MiTD vote for different degrees of being alive.

I think O-chul's got a pretty good chance.

For those claiming that Redcloak's going to rush in and save him to reveal valuable plot-points, I have to ask: if they've had him in captivity for months, why haven't they already dragged the information out of him?

Also, (mild SoD spoiler)
How did the Mitd get his crate back again? That was last seen heading into the dungeon of Dorukan, and was surely blown up in the explosion. Did they actually bother ordering the minions to make a new one, and if so, since Mitd has shown no sign of running away...why?

SteveMB
2008-03-19, 06:15 AM
Also, (mild SoD spoiler)
How did the Mitd get his crate back again? That was last seen heading into the dungeon of Dorukan, and was surely blown up in the explosion. Did they actually bother ordering the minions to make a new one, and if so, since Mitd has shown no sign of running away...why?

If the MitD got it into his head that he wanted his crate, having a few minions build a new one would be a small price to pay to stop the pestering.

Rad
2008-03-19, 06:22 AM
1000 cp say he lives, escapes, and leads the resistance.

Acid-breathing sharks... :smallannoyed:

:tongue:

warmachine
2008-03-19, 06:31 AM
I have to agree with Alex Worlorn that Redcloak's absence is inexplicable. He has personal reasons for hating the Sapphire Guard and O'Chul represents them.

TroyXavier
2008-03-19, 06:35 AM
*chuckles* anyone write a sourcebook...I love Dungeonscape. Anyways, good to see someone other than Haley/Belkar/Celia/Roy so good comic. Wonder where Redcloak is though.

Winterwind
2008-03-19, 06:36 AM
Now that I think about it, most likely he will survive with negative hit points.

For the simple reason that Xykon will make that happen, even if it necessitates blasting acid pool, shark, spikes, hobgoblins and O'Chul for that. :smalltongue:

Rumda
2008-03-19, 06:37 AM
Awww, I'm feeling really bad for the poor guy. :smallfrown:

His eyes are open, for crying out loud! Being thrown with eyes wide open into acid... ow, the horror! :smalleek:

well there would be little difference if he was wearing goggles as well all know, they do nothing.

Lyinginbedmon
2008-03-19, 06:38 AM
Okay, so since O-chul's arms aren't in a sword-holding pose, we can assume that his paralysis has been removed (Probably makes better screaming that way), though we could also argue he's still paralysed since his arms aren't hanging down (Slight possibility, he could just be holding them up himself). He's clearly been harmed, probably tortured, judging from the marks on his body.

Also, neat Dungeonscape reference. I've had that book for ages and only recently realised Rich had contributed to it, after looking up the bouncy ball (See Xykon VS Paladins in #448 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html)) in it.

dish
2008-03-19, 06:40 AM
If the MitD got it into his head that he wanted his crate, having a few minions build a new one would be a small price to pay to stop the pestering.

True.
Maybe he's resigned to being left in the darkness, and thus has demanded that he should at least have comfortable/familiar darkness.
(Does that make sense?)

HOLEkevin
2008-03-19, 06:53 AM
Hooray! 'Bout time we got back with good old Xykon and pals! (I guess Redcloak's off managing the city!)

Kolbur
2008-03-19, 06:56 AM
Is this the combination of jumping the shark and a cliffhanger? :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-19, 07:45 AM
1. Yay Team Evil! :smallbiggrin:
2. Oh no! Mr. Stiffly! :smalleek:

Eran of Arcadia
2008-03-19, 07:53 AM
So other than the acid breathing, are there any other references in the strip to things that Rich added himself to D&D?

Kilarny
2008-03-19, 07:55 AM
Ha, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
*giggle* *snort* *rofl*
So, how does Belkar look now, folks? Doesn't seem quite so bad, does he.

Keep 'em coming, Mr. Burlew! Raving fan here.

O-Chul must have had the paralysis wear off by now. The game wouldn't be fun otherwise if he couldn't react. What's the point on betting on it if he's just going to sink to the bottom?.

I don't know about 3.5 edition, but 2nd edition Lich paralysis lasts until Dispelled in some manner. Xykon paralyzed him a few months ago in the throne room, and he's never had X's in his eyes, so...poor guy.
As far as feeding / watering him, Ioun stones or a goblin with a tube can deal with that. Hose him off every week or so. If he gets sick, Cure Disease. It's a very mean way to keep somebody prisoner, but a world of magic makes so many things possible. :smallbiggrin:

Yes, I still play 2nd edition D&D. *shrug*

The_Weirdo
2008-03-19, 08:22 AM
Side note: Do you realize this is the first time other characters are actually interacting with the roaches?

Thufir
2008-03-19, 08:26 AM
I have to agree with Alex Worlorn that Redcloak's absence is inexplicable. He has personal reasons for hating the Sapphire Guard and O'Chul represents them.

Petty revenge notwithstanding, I think Redcloak might be a little bored of watching the same stoic paladin being repeatedly tortured after four months.

Forealms
2008-03-19, 08:30 AM
My bet is that Redcloak will come in and stop it, but MitD will lose because he won't live "happily ever after".

EDIT:

Side note: Do you realize this is the first time other characters are actually interacting with the roaches?

Not quite. When Miko fought Redcloak, Xykon had the roach-bookie bet on Miko. Too lazy to link, but it's somewhere around 370? Or so?

Eric
2008-03-19, 08:40 AM
that paladin dude is the only clue to information regarding how the other gates are guarded (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) so the next strip will probably be redcloak stopping the game.

I see nothing in that panel that says O'Chul knows anything about how the other gates are protected. In fact, since he's a Paladin and bound by the oath Soon made not to interfere, it's not possible he knows anything about the other gates. Heck, he doesn't need to know about this one.

SteveMB
2008-03-19, 08:52 AM

No, it isn't (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html). It's not even the first time they've placed bets with the roach bookie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html).

Yendor
2008-03-19, 08:54 AM
I see nothing in that panel that says O'Chul knows anything about how the other gates are protected. In fact, since he's a Paladin and bound by the oath Soon made not to interfere, it's not possible he knows anything about the other gates. Heck, he doesn't need to know about this one.

In fact, Hinjo says (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html) that only the ruling family knew how Soon's Gate was really protected.

Calemyr
2008-03-19, 09:02 AM
Of course Redcloak's not here. The green goblin has always been the only one with his eye on the ball, dragging his more powerful allies kicking and screaming towards their goals. Given that his face is the one on the banners, it's not a stretch to imagine that he's the only one on Team Evil taking this city management thing seriously.

Judging from history, he'll show up just in time to stop his swan dive into acidic death and demand his answers regarding the gates. When O-Chul cannot answer, he'll shrug and walk away, allowing the game to carry on as planned.

Wikkin
2008-03-19, 09:04 AM
Darn it, if MitD hadn't needed to jump in and take 3 panels with his bet, we'd already know how this goes down for O'Chul. :(

Prowl
2008-03-19, 09:19 AM
I know how this ends. From above, Ben Bernanke flies in on a helicopter, tossing out bags of money, distracting the evil characters. Meanwhile, JP Thanh & Co. sneaks in to buy O'Chul for the price of 2gp/share.

The_Weirdo
2008-03-19, 09:20 AM
No, it isn't (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html). It's not even the first time they've placed bets with the roach bookie (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html).

Oh, right, right, right, right, right...

Arakune
2008-03-19, 09:20 AM
Redcloak changed his cloak? Why? It's black...

Sorry if someone already posted this.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-19, 09:36 AM

That's NOT Redcloak, that is one of the Hobgoblin Generals.

Redcloak is a goblin, with green skin. Hobgoblins have orange skin.

I know, a minor detail, but relevant. :smallbiggrin:

Antina
2008-03-19, 09:41 AM
I really do love the roach in costume of the game on the green house!

Sengoku
2008-03-19, 09:45 AM
I bet my money on Xykon, 'cause he will twist the results no matter what ;).

btw, hope to see what's:smallredface: doing the Linear guild soon

The Tygre
2008-03-19, 09:48 AM
Alright! Xykon's back! Now if we could just see what Red Cloak is up to...

Kudos for using the Dungeonscape Acid-breathing-template-thing. You would have thought someone could have just given a shark acid-immunity and called it a day, but here we are.

Keep up the good work, Giant!

Hart av Srednak
2008-03-19, 10:11 AM

Either Xykon bad bet or he is very sure of outcome. Xykon won't win if stays alive with positive or zero hitpoints. Hobgoblin will win if he stays alive, be it anyway.

hajo
2008-03-19, 10:29 AM
I think MitD is going to win this one. Acid breaks O-Chul's bonds, he smites the shark, maybe levels because of this, and then smashes the glass, soaking the gathered evil guys. MitD is too strong to be damaged and Xykon is already a skeleton anyways, but the rest of them could die.
Tsukiko can get away flying, and would perhaps rescue her wight on the way out :smallbiggrin:

Craig1f
2008-03-19, 10:52 AM
Well, according to Miko, Hinjo's more powerful than O-Chul, so since Hinjo is probably 12 or 13, O-Chul is at most 11. On the other hand, Hinjo describes O-Chul as the toughest of them all, implying a high Con, and also selects him to command the paladins in the throne room.

Therefore, shall we say level 11, 18 Con? That's about 109 hp with no gear, unless he rolled particularly well (also possible, given Hinjo's comment). 10d6 Acid is ~35 damage, so O-Chul has 3 or 4 rounds before melting into sludge.

I wouldn't take Xykon's word for it. He just gets bored and likes to take crazy chances.

He failed a Fort Save against paralyzing touch. How high could his CON be?

mroozee
2008-03-19, 11:01 AM
Why is comic acid almost always green? I realize that there are green acids (phosphoric acid comes in green) and it's been a long time since I've hung out in a chemistry lab, but I seem to remember most of the good, scary stuff being clear.

ShellBullet
2008-03-19, 11:04 AM
Why is comic acid almost always green? I realize that there are green acids (phosphoric acid comes in green) and it's been a long time since I've hung out in a chemistry lab, but I seem to remember most of the good, scary stuff being clear.

Maybe the shark puked it out?

Saint Nil
2008-03-19, 11:06 AM
I bet alive, but remains a captive, with redcloak going into a rant about what team evil has done for the last 3 months.

2gp

Deuce
2008-03-19, 11:30 AM
. . . and what is MitD doing in the box thingie? So many questions.

A subtle Spading Gray reference?

Eric
2008-03-19, 11:56 AM
It's just Rich drew him slightly differently so that he could be suspended by rope tied around him.

The wounds aren't torture either, I reckon. After all, he's been blown completely out of the city, landing on rocks, hurled by an "earthquake" back hundreds of yards and again on to rocks.

He's not going to be looking his best.

And, given that he's wounded, he could die quickly in the acid. What's going to happen next???

I had wondered whether O'Chul would have more happening, since there wasn't much reason for him to survive the explosion in the first place, nor for his appearance in the MitD's tea party, nor his eventual recovery and loss back to MitD's company soon after. It's a lot of story with no reason.

Though I am now at a loss to say what the heck is going to happen next. Has he been saved just so he can be eaten by an acid breathing shark (with or without frickin laser beams)?

And why did the MitD give Mr Stiffly over to Xykon?

Just have to wait.

I wonder if MitD looks like the Snarl?

SteveMB
2008-03-19, 01:00 PM
I bet alive, but remains a captive, with redcloak going into a rant about what team evil has done for the last 3 months.
More precisely, a rant about what Team Evil hasn't done over the past few months while Xykon sat on his bony butt in Azure City....

David Argall
2008-03-19, 04:43 PM
Just when it seens clear we are sticking with Belkar and Haley, we suddenly switch to Xykon and friends. There goes any chance of justice for the gnome. Well, maybe that will happen in the book.

Well, we do need to see what is happening with Team Evil.

Now as to some of the questions asked, my guesses...
In 485A, MitD dragged O'Chul to Xykon and Redcloak who unparalyzed him, and found out he knew nothing of interest to them. Since MitD didn't want O'Chul "hurt", they have kept him alive since, with considerable torture like the present case. [MitD's ability to recognize what is dangerous, much less remember it, is rather limited.]

Redcloak is not present because he is working. He will not show up for a strip or two, and will not be rescuing O'Chul, who no longer has any secrets worth discovering.

O'Chul will beat the shark and acid [likely all happening off camera] and will get out of the bottle alive and "healthy", at which point Xykon will hit him for enough damage to put him into negatives, and of course demand to be paid for winning the bet.

Hopefully we will find out soon why Xykon bothered to cast Cloister and why Team Evil is even still in the city instead of having left for the next gate.

Querzis
2008-03-19, 04:55 PM

He didnt twist the result last time

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0369.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0370.html

People cheat on bet just if they actually want money. Xykon do it for fun, he wont twist the result because the result are just as fun no matter if hes wrong or right.

btw, hope to see what's:smallredface: doing the Linear guild soon

Yeah me too.

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-19, 06:49 PM
OMG!!!! O-Chul!!!!!!
and also... who's this hobgoblin in the snazzy outfit? where's Recloak!
and also... O-Chul has more scars! poor guy :smallfrown:

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-19, 07:04 PM

Green is generally associated with poison and such. Yes, an acid is not necessarially poisonous, but many people kinda think of it as such.

Besides, what else color would represent acid better? Clear or blue will make people thinking it is water. Red would instead be associated with blood. Yellow (more accurate color representation - HCl is quite yellow) will make people think it is honey or something like that.

JSchunx
2008-03-19, 07:19 PM
Ahh... Poor O-Chul. Still, this comic made me laugh out loud. Good stuff, good stuff.

Dode
2008-03-19, 07:22 PM
yeah... something like that...

Morgan Wick
2008-03-19, 07:42 PM
oh, by the way... incase you're wondering why redcloak wasn't in the comic...

My personal feeling is Redcloak made an effort to bleed information out of O-chul, but he wouldn't tell him even if he knew. He decided to torture him to get the information out, but it didn't work and he's now given up and moved on to other approaches - he's currently too busy turning the city's libraries upside down, or something - while the others are now just doing it for fun. I don't think he'll walk in on the proceedings so much as the proceedings, in the form of Xykon, walk in on him.

Not quite. When Miko fought Redcloak, Xykon had the roach-bookie bet on Miko. Too lazy to link, but it's somewhere around 370? Or so?

369. But Xykon doesn't actually respond to anything the bookie says in that strip; we've seen other similar interactions with the roaches (Miko using one to escape the forcecage, Redcloak trying to trap them in the dungeon days), but the only case I've seen of anyone actually responding to the roaches' comments is the MitD in 477, and the roaches are still fundamentally superfluous there. This, to my knowledge, is the first time the roaches are a) not superfluous and b) responded to, in the same strip.

That's NOT Redcloak, that is one of the Hobgoblin Generals.

Redcloak is a goblin, with green skin. Hobgoblins have orange skin.

I know, a minor detail, but relevant. :smallbiggrin:
At first, I not only thought that was Redcloak but I didn't notice anything different, only that something seemed... off. Considering how long it took for someone to notice Redcloak's absence, I doubt I was alone. I wouldn't be surprised if a) Rich intended him to "hide in plain sight" that Redcloak wasn't there, or b) he was originally supposed to be Redcloak but was totally miscolored.

(Also, that's probably not a general either, as he does have something that looks like a holy symbol hanging from his neck...)

The wounds aren't torture either, I reckon. After all, he's been blown completely out of the city, landing on rocks, hurled by an "earthquake" back hundreds of yards and again on to rocks.

We've seen him after (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0477.html) all of that (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html). There's at least one line on his cheek that doesn't appear in those strips, at least not 477.

Morgan Wick
2008-03-19, 07:49 PM
Oh, and:

Well, he does know about this one. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0422.html)

And the point is, from Redcloak's point of view he needs someone who knows how the other gates are protected, and O-Chul fits the bill whether he does or not. And even if he knew, he's honor-bound not to tell Redcloak, both because of the non-interference oath and so as not to risk Falling by helping Evil.

Valiena
2008-03-19, 08:09 PM
Not one of my favorites...

Watchdog
2008-03-19, 08:15 PM
I think it's gonna end up exactly how Xykon bet. He's evil enough to influence the outcome in some way.

stsasser
2008-03-19, 08:26 PM
My opinion of MitD rocketed on his 'this time' comment. Is there anything more evil than counterfeiting Monopoly money?

Sequinox
2008-03-19, 08:35 PM
That was sick. Funny, but sick.

Axl_Rose
2008-03-19, 08:35 PM
Where's Redcloak?

Halvormerlinaky
2008-03-19, 09:07 PM
You're all amazingly stupid. As if an acid-breathing shark could ever actually happen in the real world. Come on!

Seriously though, another hit. Please keep them coming. Please. I don't know what I'd do without the Order. Please.

More seriously, get back to Belkar, he's hilarious. Unless you want to go back to V, V's even better, except for V's lack of evil.

Did I mention I love the strip?

ChaosDefender24
2008-03-19, 09:16 PM
Wow, I somehow never noticed that Rich Burlew helped right Dungeonscape.

Rockphed
2008-03-19, 09:19 PM
369. But Xykon doesn't actually respond to anything the bookie says in that strip; we've seen other similar interactions with the roaches (Miko using one to escape the forcecage, Redcloak trying to trap them in the dungeon days), but the only case I've seen of anyone actually responding to the roaches' comments is the MitD in 477, and the roaches are still fundamentally superfluous there. This, to my knowledge, is the first time the roaches are a) not superfluous and b) responded to, in the same strip.

So, is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html) superfluous, or is Belkar's interaction not noticeable enough?

the_tick_rules
2008-03-19, 10:22 PM
so he's been through this more than once? Does tsukiko resurrect him after he dies or something? Or were they using other people before him?

NeonRonin
2008-03-19, 10:23 PM
Hmm. I was thinking about this strip earlier today... after I finished goggling over Team Evil's 'dunk tank'. Am I the only one who thinks that...

The events of the previous strip wind up playing into the events of the upcoming strips? Depending on how far from the city Haley and co. are, and how hard she hurled Belkar's precious chocolate bar, might there be a chance it comes down and bops the acid-breathing shark on the snout? And Celia, tracking it in flight, happens to notice O-chul about to be dropped in, and being the fervent peacenik she is, decides to swoop in and save him? It'd make for a much more urgent flight from town, but then the MitD wins his bet and Haley's guilt trip over abandoning O-chul in the first place gets abated. Of course, Belkar wouldn't be too happy about having a paladin (that HE abandoned to death) in the party. Hilarity ensues.

Just a thought.

Angela Christine
2008-03-19, 10:37 PM
Kudos for using the Dungeonscape Acid-breathing-template-thing. You would have thought someone could have just given a shark acid-immunity and called it a day, but here we are.

That wouldn't work, because the fish would still die. Maybe. It would depend on the concentration of the acid, I guess. The acid itself might be harmless, but it still wouldn't be water.

Fish breath oxygen that they extract from water. If they are in a liquid that is not water, then they can't breath and will suffocate to death within a few minutes. You could dump a shark in a tank of a relatively harmless liquid like vegetable oil, and even though the vegetable oil wouldn't damage the shark, the shark would die anyway. It needs to be able to breath acid to live in acid.

Then again, I don't think the shark is going to live long in that set up anyway. There is no temperature control, no filtration, and an extremely small volume of liquid for a fish that size. It is worse than trying to keep a goldfish alive in a tiny fishbowl (goldfish can live 20 years or more, the reasons the ones in fish bowls only live a year or two is because fish bowls suck). That shark is doomed to be killed by his own poop. :smallfrown: Those guys really are evil.

fractal
2008-03-19, 10:56 PM
Hmm. I was thinking about this strip earlier today... after I finished goggling over Team Evil's 'dunk tank'. Am I the only one who thinks that...

The events of the previous strip wind up playing into the events of the upcoming strips? Depending on how far from the city Haley and co. are, and how hard she hurled Belkar's precious chocolate bar, might there be a chance it comes down and bops the acid-breathing shark on the snout? And Celia, tracking it in flight, happens to notice O-chul about to be dropped in, and being the fervent peacenik she is, decides to swoop in and save him? It'd make for a much more urgent flight from town, but then the MitD wins his bet and Haley's guilt trip over abandoning O-chul in the first place gets abated. Of course, Belkar wouldn't be too happy about having a paladin (that HE abandoned to death) in the party. Hilarity ensues.

Just a thought.
Sounds like a good recipe for roasted fey.

Callista
2008-03-19, 10:56 PM
Acid diluted in water (which it always is) would still have oxygen dissolved in it. They probably have the shark there just for the purpose of the game, and it goes back to wherever it might live afterwards.

David Argall
2008-03-19, 11:26 PM

The events of the previous strip wind up playing into the events of the upcoming strips? Depending on how far from the city Haley and co. are, and how hard she hurled Belkar's precious chocolate bar, might there be a chance it comes down and bops the acid-breathing shark on the snout? And ...

Just a thought.

You are probably not, but... Haley and party are miles, likely more than 10, from Xykon's betting pool. So not a chance.

Zorn
2008-03-20, 12:00 AM
I think Mr. Stiffly's fate is rather obvious. You see:

The MitD, who, being the only one strong enough to carry that much acid, was tasked with filling the vat, mistakenly filled it with Mountain Dew (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=020315) instead (after all, Mountain Dew does contain acids). The shark, having inhaled copious amounts of the liquid, is already on the brink of death, which would explain its rather docile nature in such a contained space. O'chul will float to the surface and survive, but not without getting very, very sticky in the process.

DrivinAllNight
2008-03-20, 12:13 AM
I think I will concur with Zorn on the Dew idea, as implausible as it sounds, it would make for some good hilarity, although is it American or Canadian Dew? as in caffeinated or decaffeinated. more funny with the caffeine.
Also it seems as though Mr Stiffly isn't stiff anymore, he does seem tied up though.

Fish
2008-03-20, 12:32 AM
So, is this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html) superfluous, or is Belkar's interaction not noticeable enough?
It goes back farther than that. The demon roaches were perched on V's head in Dorukon's dungeon, remember? They burned away the undead coming for V, and V thanked them.

Blackdrop
2008-03-20, 12:47 AM
Green is generally associated with poison and such. Yes, an acid is not necessarially poisonous, but many people kinda think of it as such.

Besides, what else color would represent acid better? Clear or blue will make people thinking it is water. Red would instead be associated with blood. Yellow (more accurate color representation - HCl is quite yellow) will make people think it is honey or something like that.

Are you sure HCl is yellow? We were working with HCl the other day in my chem class the other day and I distinctly remember it being clear. As a side note, 6 M HCl burrrrrrrrrns.

Back on topic. Where the heck is Redcloak?

Khoran
2008-03-20, 01:48 AM
Ha, good jab at yourself there Rich!

Helgraf
2008-03-20, 02:50 AM
That wouldn't work, because the fish would still die. Maybe. It would depend on the concentration of the acid, I guess. The acid itself might be harmless, but it still wouldn't be water.

Fish breath oxygen that they extract from water. If they are in a liquid that is not water, then they can't breath and will suffocate to death within a few minutes. You could dump a shark in a tank of a relatively harmless liquid like vegetable oil, and even though the vegetable oil wouldn't damage the shark, the shark would die anyway. It needs to be able to breath acid to live in acid.

Then again, I don't think the shark is going to live long in that set up anyway. There is no temperature control, no filtration, and an extremely small volume of liquid for a fish that size. It is worse than trying to keep a goldfish alive in a tiny fishbowl (goldfish can live 20 years or more, the reasons the ones in fish bowls only live a year or two is because fish bowls suck). That shark is doomed to be killed by his own poop. :smallfrown: Those guys really are evil.

Somewhere, a catgirl cried out ... and was suddenly silenced.

OmegaDonut
2008-03-20, 03:34 AM
It goes back farther than that. The demon roaches were perched on V's head in Dorukon's dungeon, remember? They burned away the undead coming for V, and V thanked them.

Burning away the undead? Is that bonus material in the Dungeon of Dorukon compilation book?

warmachine
2008-03-20, 05:29 AM
The stagehands are walking on a diving platform over an open container of acid with a shark in it? The container doesn't even have a ladder in it, let alone handrails on the platform or safety harnesses. This is just an accident waiting to happen and almost certainly fatal. The management's attitude to safety is shocking. One would almost think Team Evil regards suffering as a source of cheap entertainment.

Castamir
2008-03-20, 05:40 AM
And I can't decide between "Deader than doorknobs" and "Saved at the last minute by a Resistance suicide mission".
Have you ever seen a Resistance suicide mission *succeed*?
Cutting off a guy tied to a cross is a lot easier than fishing someone from a dunk tank...

dps
2008-03-20, 05:42 AM
Poor O'Chul!

Though the big question is.... how did they get his clothes off him when he is all stiff? That would have been an icky and a tricky job.

I really doubt that he has been paralyzed the whole time--they'd have needed to un-paralyze him to interrogate him (can't talk if you're paralyzed). But even if he's paralyzed, if you want his clothes off, all you have to do is cut them off--nothing tricky or particularly icky about it.

Castamir
2008-03-20, 05:49 AM
The stagehands are walking on a diving platform over an open container of acid with a shark in it? The container doesn't even have a ladder in it, let alone handrails on the platform or safety harnesses. This is just an accident waiting to happen and almost certainly fatal. The management's attitude to safety is shocking. One would almost think Team Evil regards suffering as a source of cheap entertainment.
As if we have never seen such a thing before (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoOSHACompliance).

factotum
2008-03-20, 07:32 AM
Burning away the undead? Is that bonus material in the Dungeon of Dorukon compilation book?

Yes, it is. (The book's called "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools", incidentally).

factotum
2008-03-20, 07:33 AM
He failed a Fort Save against paralyzing touch. How high could his CON be?

Everyone rolls a natural 1 now and again...

Zrana
2008-03-20, 09:32 AM
Wah. Only one person commented on Bootsy. Er, the wight with boots.

Is it the same wight? Or are other wights getting to discover the wonders of footwear?:smalltongue:

LordSintax
2008-03-20, 10:01 AM
heh. awesome job, giant.... always love a team evil update. and as an owner of Dungeonscape, :smallbiggrin: although, imo, the Mitd is probably going to win this one... don't ask me how... go Mr. Stiffly!

Blanth
2008-03-20, 10:34 AM
That wouldn't work, because the fish would still die...
.... Then again, I don't think the shark is going to live long in that set up anyway...
That shark is doomed to be killed by his own poop. :smallfrown: Those guys really are evil.

I am impressed that you thought of the shark. And who's going to clean out that tank afterwards? Messy!

/Won't somebody think of the Sharks!

Doglord
2008-03-20, 11:48 AM
The giant insulted himself. How strange.

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-20, 12:02 PM
Are you sure HCl is yellow? We were working with HCl the other day in my chem class the other day and I distinctly remember it being clear. As a side note, 6 M HCl burrrrrrrrrns.
First of all, clear =/= colorless. A sky is blue. It is clear but not colorless.

HCl is faint yellow. In a test tube, one might not notice, but in a 2 L bottle of concentrated HCl, yellow color is well seen. In a pool like we have one here, it would be quite yellow.

As for 6M HCl burning... it really depends on where it comes. It does not burn much on intact skin, but once I got some acid in an open cut (I think it was sulphiric). THAT hurts:smallyuk:

xyzchyx
2008-03-20, 12:28 PM
Hmmm... depending on which denomination those orange bills are, MitD just bet $1016 or $216. Which is it?

Qov
2008-03-20, 01:01 PM
Hmmm... depending on which denomination those orange bills are, MitD just bet $1016 or $216. Which is it?

You are such a geek. I mean this in the most complimentary way possible. Here are the historical monopoly colours (http://www.monopoly-history.com/money.php).

It's also possible that the MitD's collection of genuine Monopoly money spans two editions, and that he has bet $616. We can only hope that Rich pays attention to these vital plot points and will resolve the suspense in an upcoming strip. He used correct colours in the first place, so I think we can trust he understands the import of the matter.

David Argall
2008-03-20, 01:04 PM

To quibble, the shark can breath in any medium that can absorb large amounts of oxygen, but does not hold onto it too hard. [There are probably a couple of other limiting factors, such as thickness and ability of the shark to move enough liquid past its gills, but we can ignore these for our purposes.] For practical purposes, water is about the only thing that really qualifies, but if you check the cases of scientists with too much time on their hands, you should be able to find cases of fish surviving in other substances.
A related case is rats breathing water. The water in question was oversaturated with oxygen and the rats had no trouble surviving, until the experiment ended and the water was allowed to return to a normal state.

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-20, 01:26 PM
Not to mention that most acid is mostly water (with actual acid dissolved in it).

Ikialev
2008-03-20, 01:32 PM
What beats me - SIX Demon Roaches in one strip? 0o

Angela Christine
2008-03-20, 02:27 PM
I am impressed that you thought of the shark. And who's going to clean out that tank afterwards? Messy!

/Won't somebody think of the Sharks!

Heh. I just believe that if they are going to keep exotic pets, they ought to take care of them properly. A fish tank is effectively a life support system for the aquatic animals within.

Please think of the sharks.

Somewhere, a catgirl cried out ... and was suddenly silenced.

Awww. I was just saying how having the shark breath acid, like it does in the template, would be superior to having it merely immune to acid.

To quibble, the shark can breath in any medium that can absorb large amounts of oxygen, but does not hold onto it too hard. [There are probably a couple of other limiting factors, such as thickness and ability of the shark to move enough liquid past its gills, but we can ignore these for our purposes.] For practical purposes, water is about the only thing that really qualifies, but if you check the cases of scientists with too much time on their hands, you should be able to find cases of fish surviving in other substances.

Yes indeed. I have an aquarium, and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this tank. Dumping a shark into a small swimming pool shouldn't work. I can imagine some demi-plane of acid where there is an entire acid-based ecosystem, but an acid fish tank boggles the mind. Modern fish keeping is all about the chemical balance of the water and properly cycling of nitrogen happy bacterial that render ammonia wastes fairly harmless (bacteria change ammonia -> nitrites -> nitrates). People have all kinds of crazy test kits to test and maintain the salinity, hardness, PH, and other factors at precise levels to keep the fish happy and not dead. Since the acid tank will have a PH (http://staff.jccc.net/PDECELL/chemistry/phscale.html) between 0 and 1, I doubt any friendly ammonia eating bacteria can survive survive at that PH. Below about 5.5 the ammonia is oxidized by other bacteria into ammonium, which is not good for fish.

Then again, perhaps Purify Food and Drink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/purifyFoodAndDrink.htm) could clean the tank? You would have to get it to believe that acid was a drink and purify out the shark poop, without "purifying" it too far and turning it into water. Even if the shark could survive breathing either water or acid, the shock of a sudden change could kill it. Poor sharkie. Plus, if you accidentally turned the acid to water, you'd then need to find more acid to re-acidify the tank to tortuous levels. That just isn't efficient.

Unless it is really, really weak acid. To execute people with acid you'd want PH 0-1. However, if the acid is merely to torture then it could be up to PH 2 or 3 maybe even 4. A pool of liquid as acidic as lemon, orange or grapefruit juice wouldn't kill you, but it would irritate any cuts in the skin, and would really sting if it got in your eye.

Perhaps it is green because the "acid" is actually lime juice? :smallbiggrin:

Qov
2008-03-20, 02:37 PM
Perhaps it is green because the "acid" is actually lime juice?

Best speculation yet of an already entertaining thread. The people who only read the comic miss half the fun.

lindyk
2008-03-20, 06:36 PM
For any and all commenting on the roaches, they are re-enacting a scene from "The Sting"

Mojique
2008-03-20, 08:27 PM
Someone will intervene with an important message. Maybe Redcloak.

Lupy
2008-03-20, 08:32 PM
Has anyone noticed a Hobgoblin sitting where redcloak normally would be? A Cleric hobgoblin??? Where's my favorite character!!!!

:redcloak: ftw!

FujinAkari
2008-03-20, 09:13 PM
Has anyone noticed a Hobgoblin sitting where redcloak normally would be? A Cleric hobgoblin??? Where's my favorite character!!!!

:redcloak: ftw!

Nope! No one has noticed at all. Please ignore the, like, four threads devoted to the subject :P

Blaznak
2008-03-20, 10:55 PM
You are such a geek. I mean this in the most complimentary way possible. Here are the historical monopoly colours (http://www.monopoly-history.com/money.php).

It's also possible that the MitD's collection of genuine Monopoly money spans two editions, and that he has bet $616. We can only hope that Rich pays attention to these vital plot points and will resolve the suspense in an upcoming strip. He used correct colours in the first place, so I think we can trust he understands the import of the matter.

Ooh! More Monopoly weirdness... Does MitD go for the shoe, the race car, the hat...? Or do they have a special edition: you know like the Stars Wars version or the Nascar version (yes, there was a Nascar version...).

Later!

Wikkin
2008-03-21, 12:07 AM

:belkar: used a :roach: to cook stew for :mitd: .

kabbor
2008-03-21, 01:53 AM
To those thinking that a acid-breathing shark is really stupid, I will point out that there are species of fish that survive quite happily in volcanic mound springs where the acidic water would strip you and I to the bone if we were foolish enought to enter.
Of course, there are none of them equal to the size of man-eating sharks, but that is because a man-eating shark would make little sense in a pool a couple of feet across. Also note that the acidic water would mean that the supply of men would be greatly reduced.....

Laurentio
2008-03-21, 02:52 AM
I love you all people. Really, no sarcasm. I know only a few places where I could find a long and actually serious thread about breathing in acid and the historical colors of monopoly currency.
This really beat any thread on "Who is the red Hulk"!

Now now... I would bet that the shark is just conjured, and this set all for where it cames from. Redcloth is the proof that you can summon everything, if you just know what you need.
MitD is closed in his box because is tired of having to hold an umbrella (and that umbrella... I mean... pink?).
Stiffy is no paralized anymore. Otherwise, he should be dead (something like eating... never through?)
And while you are speaking of acid and sharks... where did they found a one-piece, gigantic glass container? Seems to large for a "Create Object". How advanced in glass-making must be a city for that pool?

Laurentio

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-21, 05:51 AM

Love it. But who would get to eat the chocolate bar? MitD would buy it with his real fake money :smallsmile: . Very unlikely though, unless the game room was outside the city...

Also, on the topic of Monopoly, the MitD "goes for" the thimble. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html) Although it was "this time", so maybe he usually picks another one. I'll bet 176,451,000 cp of my Monopoly money that he plays the scotty dog.

OT: I don't know how to quote multiple posts :smallannoyed:. Can anyone help?

sealemon
2008-03-21, 08:46 AM
"An acid breathing shark?" Classic.

And while you are speaking of acid and sharks... where did they found a one-piece, gigantic glass container? Seems to large for a "Create Object". How advanced in glass-making must be a city for that pool?

Some mage, somewhere, bothered to research an alternate version of Shape Earth, and Team Evil got the spell.

fractal
2008-03-21, 09:00 AM
No offense to poor O-Chul, but it's almost like he needs an entirely different set of class features to get out of there. If he were an 9th+ level Monk, he could use Escape Artist on his bonds, Swim through the acid, Unarmed Strike and Stunning Fist the shark, and then Jump out of the tank, using Slow Fall to avoid damage. Follow it up with Improved Evasion for Xykon's fire and lightning, and then Fast Movement out of the room. Finally, Wholeness of Body to cure at least some of his damage taken.

Of course, if he's 12th level, Abundant Step shortcuts almost all of that.

Pandabear
2008-03-21, 09:06 AM
Good one, once again!

And I see I'm not the only one curious about RC's whereabouts.

(First time post besides the hello post by the way)

I do wonder though. If that shark can't breathe both water AND acid, how did they get the shark in that tank? Because if it's summoned I wouldn't be surprised if the maximum spell duration kicks in after a couple of rounds.. I don't usually bother with summon spells unless it's unseen servant or something, but my guess is (without having a PHB to back it up) that summoning spells rarely last more than a couple of rounds per caster level.

fractal
2008-03-21, 09:13 AM
I do wonder though. If that shark can't breathe both water AND acid, how did they get the shark in that tank? Because if it's summoned I wouldn't be surprised if the maximum spell duration kicks in after a couple of rounds.. I don't usually bother with summon spells unless it's unseen servant or something, but my guess is (without having a PHB to back it up) that summoning spells rarely last more than a couple of rounds per caster level.
If Xykon summoned it, that's at least a couple minutes, which is a lot longer than O-Chul will last in that acid. Actually, if almost anyone summoned it, it will be there a lot longer than O-Chul will last fully submerged in acid. As noted earlier in the thread, 10d6 per round is a lot.

Pandabear
2008-03-21, 10:14 AM
I actually managed to read past the 10d6.. That's an average of 30 HP per round! Aside from what being crushed to death by razor sharp teeth or burned by acid is the most painful, one would wonder why they'd bother with the shark in the first place..

On a sidenote, when the comic mentioned an acid breathing shark my first thought was that they actually meant a shark with an acid breath attack or something. That might've meant that although being perfectly capable of inhaling water, the restproduct would contain acid as part of it's metabolism.
Any such shark thrown in normal water would see it polluted with acid before long. Then again, I never played DungeonScape :P

DrivinAllNight
2008-03-21, 11:27 AM
and speaking of what piece the MitD would use in monopoly, yes he has used the thimble before, but if their is a special edition, it could be anything, since my local gaming store has about 40+ different versions of Monopoly, and thanks to marketing rights, a company out there called USAopoly can make almost anything centered around the Monopoly game. Speaking of which, why hasn't Mr B gotten a hold of them to make a OotS version, one cool piece could be a MitD with its umbrella, while holding a tiny thimble. And of course a piece that represented Roy would be nice too. Hard to say what the others would be though. And i don't see O'chul dissolving out of the story line anytime soon either. He'll find a Base way out of this :smallsmile:

Vaarsuvius4181
2008-03-21, 11:47 AM
hmmm...well the comic is getting considerably more dark but i beliave that he will escape or be killed. I dought he will be saved. I mean, the resistance couldnt kill a mouse without haley or belkar. Good luck mr stiffly

David Argall
2008-03-21, 01:14 PM
Having survived the mass slaughter of paladins, the huge explosion, MitD's party, attempted rescue, being drug back to town, whatever tortures Team Evil has subjected him to in the last several months..., O'Chul is immortal and will survive all that can be thrown at him... at least until he is freed and looking forward to a normal life again, at which point he may well drop dead.

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-21, 01:42 PM
Having survived the mass slaughter of paladins, the huge explosion, MitD's party, attempted rescue, being drug back to town, whatever tortures Team Evil has subjected him to in the last several months..., O'Chul is immortal and will survive all that can be thrown at him... at least until he is freed and looking forward to a normal life again, at which point he may well drop dead.
Which gets me thinking: is O'Chul a Chew Toy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheChewToy?from=Main.ChewToy)?

P.S. I noticed similarities between "Chul" and "chew" only as I was typing this post.

xyzchyx
2008-03-21, 02:55 PM
You are such a geek. I mean this in the most complimentary way possible. The compliment is noted, and appreciated. Thanks.

MeTheGameGuy
2008-03-21, 04:23 PM
and speaking of what piece the MitD would use in monopoly, yes he has used the thimble before, but if their is a special edition, it could be anything, since my local gaming store has about 40+ different versions of Monopoly, and thanks to marketing rights, a company out there called USAopoly can make almost anything centered around the Monopoly game. Speaking of which, why hasn't Mr B gotten a hold of them to make a OotS version, one cool piece could be a MitD with its umbrella, while holding a tiny thimble. And of course a piece that represented Roy would be nice too.

Yay for OotS Monopoly! What would the properties be called? The train stations might be Gates, except there are five Gates (or is it six?).

MasterofMockery
2008-03-21, 06:55 PM
I also believe in you to Mr. Stiffy:smallsmile:

Helanna
2008-03-21, 07:17 PM
I just really noticed the little wight, still with Thanh's shoes. I'm really beginning to like that little wight. :smallsmile: Though come to think of it, apparently Tsukiko is too, if she's actually kept it with her all this time :smalleek:

I am dying to know exactly where this strip is going to go. Are we just randomly dropping in on O-chul, or is it something more? . . . I hope it's something more. Although if we have any more arcs going at the same time, OotS will never finish.

Good. :smallbiggrin:

Huckminster
2008-03-21, 11:55 PM
March Madness is spreading. The first weekend of the NCAA tournament, and Xykon's office has set up a pool.

The Old Hack
2008-03-22, 05:45 AM
"They'll let any old hack write a supplement these days." *snicker*

Thanks for giving me the hope, Mr. Burlew. :smallamused:

Wardog
2008-03-22, 06:30 AM
I'm suddenly reminded of the scene in the original Transformers the Movie where Kup and Hotrod are thrown to the Sharkticons.

In which case the outcome would be escape, due to the combination of the ultimate badassery of the would-be victims, plus the just-in-time arrival of an even more badass rescue party.

See here for the set-up (fast-forward to 6:20): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAhTKsxf5Y&feature=related

See here for the escape (fast forward to 4:30) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAhTKsxf5Y&feature=related

Gamerlord
2008-03-22, 09:53 AM
this is awsome i want to see more demon roach enartainment...maybe hobgoblin dodgeball 2008...

Max_Sinister
2008-03-22, 11:20 AM
Something scary to think about: Originally, the paralyzed O-Chul had his arms lifted (ready to strike with his katana). Now how did they bend his arms on his back, if he was paralyzed all the time?

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-22, 01:39 PM
Something scary to think about: Originally, the paralyzed O-Chul had his arms lifted (ready to strike with his katana). Now how did they bend his arms on his back, if he was paralyzed all the time?
It would make little sence to have him paralyzed all the time. I am sure he was unparalyzed for tortures. Except, perhaps, those that involved MitD dressing him in a pink dress, havving a marriage ceremony between him and another fallen Palading and then letting them have their honeymoon.

dragongirl13
2008-03-22, 01:51 PM
Meep! Poor O-Chul! I hope he gets out.

By the way, where's Redcloak?

Zurpl
2008-03-22, 07:02 PM
Wow. That's about as much overkill as Roy had with that trap door (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0036.html). But he made it out alive. So I guess O-Chul can, too.

Robaato
2008-03-23, 05:41 AM
Okay, I've read through all seven pages, and I don't think anyone's come up with this one yet.

Ochul dies...and on his way to the Celestial Realms he stops and briefs Roy on events in the city.

And maybe finds Miko and gives her a b****slap.:smallbiggrin:

factotum
2008-03-23, 06:53 AM
Ochul dies...and on his way to the Celestial Realms he stops and briefs Roy on events in the city.

Why would he need to? Roy already knows as much as Haley did about events in the city, because he was standing (well, floating anyway) right next to her while she was explaining it all to Celia!

Kilarny
2008-03-23, 09:22 AM

Yes, clearly the MiTD's final total of real fake money is somehow connected to the overarching plotline. Likely, the truth will drive us mad. MAD!

And I really, really like your house rule.:smile: I think I'll pay you the ultimate compliment, and steal it.

Robaato
2008-03-23, 09:30 AM
Why would he need to? Roy already knows as much as Haley did about events in the city, because he was standing (well, floating anyway) right next to her while she was explaining it all to Celia!

True...but Ochul might have heard or seen more of what preparations/actions Xykon was actually taking. In between torture sessions or whatever...

David Argall
2008-03-23, 12:31 PM
Ochul dies...and on his way to the Celestial Realms he maybe finds Miko and gives her a b****slap.:smallbiggrin:

Not likely. His only recorded remark was complimentary, and his knowledge of what happened in the throne room is favorable to her. He failed to destroy the Gate. There was some fighting going on behind him. Miko appeared and destroyed the Gate. He has no clear way of knowing the destruction was not necessary.

danielmayer
2008-03-23, 12:34 PM
... and I bet the acid-breathing shark has taken the Vow of Nonviolence feat.

BoED hasn't been mentioned until *now* :smallbiggrin:

Nevrmore
2008-03-23, 01:33 PM
Feels like this is just a quick way to make up for the less-than-well-received comic last week. Either way, it was funny.

Also, I think this is the first time characters have actually interacted with the demon roaches, which was weird.

factotum
2008-03-23, 03:05 PM
Not likely. His only recorded remark was complimentary, and his knowledge of what happened in the throne room is favorable to her. He failed to destroy the Gate. There was some fighting going on behind him. Miko appeared and destroyed the Gate. He has no clear way of knowing the destruction was not necessary.

Well, apart from the ghost of Soon Kim saying, "No, Miko, you don't need to-"...one assumes Soon was speaking loud enough for Miko to hear him (had she not been in the middle of her usual "I am listening to the Gods, nothing else matters" schtick), so O-Chul ought to have heard it too.

dps
2008-03-23, 03:11 PM
Feels like this is just a quick way to make up for the less-than-well-received comic last week. Either way, it was funny.

Also, I think this is the first time characters have actually interacted with the demon roaches, which was weird.

It's been mentioned before, but other characters have interacted with the demon roaches plenty of times. One was even shown as a prosecution witness against the OotS when they were on trial for weakening the fabric of the universe.

David Argall
2008-03-23, 06:06 PM
Well, apart from the ghost of Soon Kim saying, "No, Miko, you don't need to-"...one assumes Soon was speaking loud enough for Miko to hear him (had she not been in the middle of her usual "I am listening to the Gods, nothing else matters" schtick), so O-Chul ought to have heard it too.

You are assuming, which puts the theory on dubious grounds to start with.
And we are dealing with things that are happening pretty much at the same time. The easiest reading is that "..to-" was the last thing Soon said before the explosion was taking place. That gives O'Chul a chance to hear it, but a very brief chance.
Nor can we be sure he could identify the voice as Soon as opposed to random voice that might be a foe. Xykon has trouble hearing Soon at first and O'Chul could easily have more trouble. [Ghosts that can't be noticed except by the dead, dying, or specially talented are a common enough idea.]

Now it does seem that O'Chul could have had a clear understanding that Miko was making a mistake, but there are quite a few ifs.

Lionpawheart
2008-03-23, 09:09 PM
I'm torn...
Either he survives, which he probably will because this is comedy, and a good plotline, or he dies, which will at least follows logic...

My hed is going to explode if I think about this...
Giant hurry up and update, or ALL our heads are going to explode!:smalleek:

Mehangel
2008-03-23, 10:30 PM
Hmm... Just posing, what if O-Chul is not really human, what if he is an Aasimar, they grant 5/- acid resistance. Now mind you that does little when faced with the 106 acid damage you succome to per round while immersed in acid.

But what if, when he is dropped in, the sharks jump up to snatch at him, and accidently throw him out of the vat of acid, even if he is accidently splashed the the damage would be only 1d6 and it is unlikely that a 6 would roll up...

Or say that he isn't thrown out, say he falls in the basin, since he is not bleeding, the sharks won't attack and the bonds that hold him will be burned away quick enough for him to use smite evil on the glass thus allowing his escape... (Torture devices are evil :smallwink: )

Or perhaps the cockroaches had a short budget and had not the funds for such a large quantity of acid, and so they had to resort to using goblin blood or green food coloring, and the sharks turn out to be vegetarians and wearing no armor means he floats...

Just a few ideas... :smallbiggrin:

dps
2008-03-23, 10:53 PM
I'm torn...
Either he survives, which he probably will because this is comedy, and a good plotline, or he dies, which will at least follows logic...

So you think he either will survive, or he won't? Gee, thanks for the insight. :smallsmile:

shadeofblack
2008-03-24, 11:56 AM
I hope the giant's feeling ok, it has been quite a while since 541 was posted.

factotum
2008-03-24, 04:19 PM
I hope the giant's feeling ok, it has been quite a while since 541 was posted.

It's less than a week (posted on the 19th), and there was a little thing called Easter which occurred in the interim...

Pope Bravo
2008-03-24, 05:16 PM
This comic reminds me of the "Will it float?" game on David Letterman.

Or even the "Will it blend?"...