PDA

View Full Version : So...where's Redcloak?

Icewalker
2008-03-19, 01:42 AM
Suprised there wasn't a thread on this already. At least, I didn't see one. So, we haven't seen Redcloak since we've started following the rebellion, have we? Other than on the flag in 512 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0512.html)? Why wasn't he with Xykon, Tsukiko, and the rest gambling? Off on a diplomatic mission? Seems unlikely. Busy elsewhere, managing the city and the like seems the most probable, but I think it is probably something more exciting.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-03-19, 01:52 AM
I think Redcloak is too busy messing around with the rift above Azure City. That's why it's gotten so big.

Spoilers from Start of Darkness:
He's trying to open up the rift for the Dark One. He's probably working on the plan rather than researching the other gates.

Remirach
2008-03-19, 02:33 AM
There's also a uniquely dressed hobgoblin cleric amongst Xykon's minions who Xykon refers to as "the orange guy," much as he would once tell Redcloak to "move his green feet."

It's still Redcloak's face on the banners, so he is still likely the Supreme Leader.

But there have been some changes in the power structure of Team Evil.

I think his exact whereabouts are a total crapshoot at this point. I could see him hovering just outside the edges of this scene waiting to interrogate O-chul once more if he should survive. On the wilder side maybe he's scouting one of the two remaining gates. I think the odds are probably a little bit better that he's still within the city walls -- he at least was there long enough for Haley's group to swipe his air freshener, although that was some time ago.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-19, 06:14 AM
I assumed he was doing something to do ith the rift to be honest. (Admitteedly, I would have expected him to enjoy watching O Chul suffer, so there's probably a good reason why he isn't there).

Kish
2008-03-19, 06:19 AM
He's trying to open up the rift for the Dark One. He's probably working on the plan rather than researching the other gates.
He can't do that with a rift with no gate attached, remember? Or he would never have left the rift at Lirian's gate.

pendell
2008-03-19, 06:21 AM
I think he's researching the gates and furthering his evil scheme. Xykon, having a short attention span, got bored and is playing games.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Deme
2008-03-19, 06:58 AM
I agree with common concensus. He's either researching the gates...or he's working to keep the city running. Regardless, unlike Xykon, he's doing actual work.

Zordrath
2008-03-19, 08:44 AM
I think he'll soon enter the room, being all grumpy on Xykon and the others because they are having fun while he was working on learning about the other gates. It's not new, but I think it's still annoying to him :P

Alex Warlorn
2008-03-19, 01:14 PM
I am too wondering why he's missing the show of the torture of his most hated enemy (any person who happens to be part of the sapphire guard).

David Argall
2008-03-19, 05:04 PM
He's a geek and he is busy working.

BisectedBrioche
2008-03-19, 05:26 PM
Since he hates paladins so much, maybe he had Xykon cast polymorph on him and he's the acid breathign shark....

Phase
2008-03-19, 06:27 PM
I really don't think that Redcloak is:
A) Researching the OTHER gates, the current rift is enough of a threat (remeber that Redcloak wants to control the gates, not end the world).
B) The kind of person who would take satisfaction for something so sadistic as torture, he would engage in it, of course, in order to get what he wants to now, but he wouldn't take pleasure in it.

Oberon
2008-03-19, 07:03 PM
I thought it was quite obvious.

Redcloak is...About to enter the room. He didn't know the others had a paladin and he will stop them from dropping O'chul just in time so that he can interrogate him about the other gates.

Helanna
2008-03-19, 08:44 PM
Redcloak is...
Spoiler

Yes!

:redcloak: Alright, I've been researching the gates, but it's almost impossible to find anything . . . this would be so much easier if any paladins had survived. We could be finished by now!

:xykon: Aww, crap, I lost my bet. He died. Did you say something, Redcloak?

:redcloak: . . . :smalleek: :smallfurious:

Zeitgeist
2008-03-19, 09:31 PM
It's very likely that Redcloak knows nothing about their game. Being that Redcloak is a diligent worker, albeit evil, he would consider the game to be a waste of time.

But it's pretty clear that Redcloak will enter now and stop it for whatever reason (possible to MitD's rejoicing), because there's just no reason to finally show O-Chul just to kill him.

Theodoriph
2008-03-20, 12:40 AM
Redcloak isn't really a fan of casual violence. Along with a few others who posted above, I can't see him participating in such a spectacle.

Ganurath
2008-03-20, 12:48 AM
Redcloak is doing the administrative work, since he's the one in charge.

Nevar K'calb
2008-03-20, 01:31 AM
Redcloak is the Roy of Team Evil, so you know he's doing something responsible, I'd wager.

Ganurath
2008-03-20, 01:49 AM
He can't do that with a rift with no gate attached, remember? Or he would never have left the rift at Lirian's gate.A fair assertion, but based on the (hopefully) erred assumption that Redcloak likes being on fire.

SlightlyEvil
2008-03-20, 08:16 AM
He's probably off doing serious work, as stated. I have a hard time believing that Redcloak wouldn't know about him, since it's been a few months since the city fell, and the MitD was dragging Mr. Stiffly around that evening. Because of the oath, I'm willing to bet that O-chul knows nothing about the gates, and by now they realize this and Redcloak lets the rest of the team have their fun. Out of Team Evil, Redcloak seems to be the only one motivated by anything other than "motiveless malignancy," as the Bard (no, not :elan: that one, the other one) so eloquently put it. The rest are in it for the fun of it, and Redcloak has no more use for this paladin; he certainly wouldn't disapprove of making him suffer for their amusement.

SteveMB
2008-03-20, 08:21 AM
Out of Team Evil, Redcloak seems to be the only one motivated by anything other than "motiveless malignancy," as the Bard (no, not :elan: that one, the other one) so eloquently put it.

Actually, I think the "motiveless malignancy" is from a critic of the Bard (no, not :roy:, a critic of the other Bard).

[pause for Googling] It was Samuel Taylor Coleridge, commenting on Iago.

As you were....

Underground
2008-03-20, 08:29 AM
It took me a while to notice that the guy I thought would be Redcloak actually was orange...

Its funny though that these insects traveling with the lich are actually able to communicate with the villains now... they didnt do that before.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-20, 09:47 AM
I think it was more of a case of Team Evil ignoring them for the most part (Xykon only seems bothered with them if they are taking bets with him).

AKA_Bait
2008-03-20, 03:11 PM
He's a geek and he is busy working.

Ding! Someone has to run the city and it sure as heck isn't going to be Xykon.

But yeah, I expect him to show up in the next strip or two also

It took me a while to notice that the guy I thought would be Redcloak actually was orange...

Its funny though that these insects traveling with the lich are actually able to communicate with the villains now... they didnt do that before.

I'm pretty sure that they always could. It's just that no one wants to bother listening to a demon cockroach.

d'Bwobsling
2008-03-20, 03:28 PM
I thought it was quite obvious.

Redcloak is...About to enter the room. He didn't know the others had a paladin and he will stop them from dropping O'chul just in time so that he can interrogate him about the other gates.

Ochul was a high ranking paliden, but the only gate he knew about was Soon's. Shojo never told any of his palidens about the gates, and Hinjo was only king for about 24 hours, and he was making battle plans

Qov
2008-03-20, 04:09 PM
Other than on the flag in 512 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0512.html)?

He was killed at the end of the battle; the flag was a memorial tribute. (I don't really think that, because Xykon isn't the sort to remember his minions, let alone memorialize them. Clearly Redcloak was alive to commission said banner,a and the Giant doesn't kill important interesting characters offstage. Unless ... Redcloak is embroiled in a contract dispute?

Kish
2008-03-20, 04:25 PM
A fair assertion, but based on the (hopefully) erred assumption that Redcloak likes being on fire.

Somehow, I doubt that fire is still burning. Especially since Redcloak and Xykon were able to stand and stare at the open rift, and discuss exactly why it was now useless to them (page 72).

Lupy
2008-03-20, 08:47 PM
He's running the city, doing Geek shtuff.