PDA

View Full Version : Stiffly still stiff?

Icewalker
2008-03-19, 01:47 AM
Second Speculation source in so so seconds. Also, alliteration attack!

Ok, I'm done with that now.

Is O-Chul still paralyzed here? You can't really tell. I think he isn't anymore, as his facial expression is different than it was when he was paralyzed in the throne room here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html). Also, that wouldn't be much to bet on. So, if O-Chul is alive and well for the moment, anybody think he can escape?

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-03-19, 01:55 AM
I really hope so. The poor guy's been like that for months. :smallfrown: I hope this is resolved soon. Even if he dies, it'll still be better than what he's going through now.

Yendor
2008-03-19, 02:03 AM
They would have unparalyzed him to interrogate him about the gates. Probably they found he really doesn't know anything useful to them, so now they're having some fun with him.

factotum
2008-03-19, 02:57 AM
He can't still be paralysed because his arms are tied behind his back. Firstly, you don't bind someone who's paralysed anyway; secondly, they wouldn't have been able to move his arms from their raised position to put them behind his back if he were still paralysed.

LtNOWIS
2008-03-19, 05:01 AM
He can't still be paralysed because his arms are tied behind his back. Firstly, you don't bind someone who's paralysed anyway; secondly, they wouldn't have been able to move his arms from their raised position to put them behind his back if he were still paralysed.

If a gigantic explosion didn't change the position (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) of his arms, legs, and facial expression, I think it's fair to say that he would have to be un-paralyzed to be in that position.

cheesecake
2008-03-19, 05:26 AM
Considering all he has to do is touch him to reparalyze him its not really that big of a deal.

I imagine resistance will jump in at the last second and save him, or bust in and its a trap and all of them get caught.

Demented
2008-03-19, 07:17 AM
Or we move on to the next scene, with team evil leaving the room upset over the outcome, where it's only made clear through referential dialogue that O-Chul somehow survived 'again', in a matter that satisfied no one.

After all, the chances of him surviving a spike-bottomed acid tank with sharks in it are so unbelievably low that the only convincing way that he could survive it is to never show how he does so.

Or he could just die, and we get Zombie O-Chul.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-19, 07:26 AM
Or we move on to the next scene, with team evil leaving the room upset over the outcome, where it's only made clear through referential dialogue that O-Chul somehow survived 'again', in a matter that satisfied no one.
Except MitD. Alive with negative HP would meet Xykon's expectative.

OverWilliam
2008-03-19, 09:15 AM
I'm pretty sure he had his hands tied behind his back...

kpenguin
2008-03-19, 09:35 AM
Except MitD. Alive with negative HP would meet Xykon's expectative.

Well, the orange guy just said "alive".

TRM
2008-03-19, 09:46 AM
Well, the orange guy just said "alive".
Died and re-animated immediately as a ghost-like (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0449.html) thing? No-one is completely correct... ?

Samiel_Fronsac
2008-03-19, 11:03 AM
It's a D&D thing, fellows.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

Paralyzing Touch (Su)

Any living creature a lich hits with its touch attack must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanently paralyzed. Remove paralysis or any spell that can remove a curse can free the victim (see the bestow curse spell description).

The effect cannot be dispelled. Anyone paralyzed by a lich seems dead, though a DC 20 Spot check or a DC 15 Heal check reveals that the victim is still alive..

Xykon touchs O-Chul, he fails the save = Permanent Paralysis. Just de-paralyze, change the position, touch again. Can be done at will, so...

David Argall
2008-03-19, 06:39 PM
There would be nobody betting he survives if he was still paralyzed. So he has been freed and not reparalyzed.

lord_khaine
2008-03-19, 06:48 PM
as has been allready mentioned before, if he was paralysed why would they bother chaining him?

Deathtouched
2008-03-19, 06:53 PM
It would be interesting if :mitd: won the bet. But that may be what that one wants you to think will happen. Then again, why bother showing it if there won't be a surprise or conflict? I guess it all comes down to waiting.

I agree that O-Chul can't be paralyzed anymore. At least, I hope not. But with an acid-breathing shark on the scene, it's a little tough to know what rules are being used here. :smallannoyed:

And actually, he could still be paralyzed because, hey, :xykon: and friends are evil. They may only be betting on the chance that the shark/acid/spikes don't kill O-Chul right away. They wouldn't care that he's paralyzed. Although, 3 out of 5 (counting :mitd: as a better, technically) bet that he would live, so there's the counter-argument.

bluish_wolf
2008-03-19, 06:54 PM
as has been allready mentioned before, if he was paralysed why would they bother chaining him?

If they are dropping him in acid, why the spikes and the shark?

Aquillion
2008-03-19, 06:57 PM
I agree that O-Chul can't be paralyzed anymore. At least, I hope not. But with an acid-breathing shark on the scene, it's a little tough to know what rules are being used here. :smallannoyed:Oh, the acid-breathing shark is part of D&D. Thanks to someone. :smalltongue:

ref
2008-03-19, 07:01 PM
he could be acid resistant, they don't know if that's the case. It's way harder for someone to be spike resistant, acid resistand, and shark resistant.

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-19, 07:08 PM
There would be nobody betting he survives if he was still paralyzed. So he has been freed and not reparalyzed.
Perhaps, there are some more complicated rules for the game. Maybe they will fish him out in X amount of time. I am surprised he is not in the cage though (which would be lowered into acid) - one can have more fun with a human toy that way.

mockingbyrd7
2008-03-19, 08:39 PM
If a gigantic explosion didn't change the position (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) of his arms, legs, and facial expression, I think it's fair to say that he would have to be un-paralyzed to be in that position.

Yup, you just hit the nail on the head and drove it so far into the wood that the wood split.

dogmac
2008-03-19, 09:21 PM
However, he COULD have been unparalysed and then reparalysed.

(or, OK, it took me a while to realise that Xygon could have unparalysed him)

Callista
2008-03-19, 10:41 PM
It's been long enough for starvation to take its toll on him, so either they've been using some kind of magical sustenance (Tsukiko could do it--she's got cleric levels), or else they unparalyzed him and kept him tied up or locked up.

I agree it's more Xykon's style to have him able to move at this point. It's not as much fun to kill a helpless prisoner, as it is to kill a near-helpless guy whom you get to see struggle.

Whatever happens, I hope he either dies or gets rescued. He doesn't deserve this. We haven't heard anything from him since the fall of Azure City, but from the way he handled himself before that, we have reason to believe he's not just capable of taking defeat, but also surviving humiliation, with his honor intact. After all, if you can stay a paladin even though your primary job description is "feline sanitation engineer", you ought to be able to take just about anything.

shadeofblack
2008-03-20, 01:21 PM
why in the world would people (including xykon) bet that he could survive if he was still paralyzed? geez.

smart thog
2008-03-20, 02:18 PM
why in the world would people (including xykon) bet that he could survive if he was still paralyzed? geez.

Xykon will get his money back even if he loses, cause he could kick the crap out of anyone (besides :mitd: ) in the room and get his money back.

shadeofblack
2008-03-20, 02:25 PM
Xykon will get his money back even if he loses, cause he could kick the crap out of anyone (besides :mitd: ) in the room and get his money back.

yes, I stand corrected. the dude they're throwing into the POOL OF ACID WITH A FREAKING SHARK is paralyzed. I mean, what fun would it be watching it if the guy wasn't paralyzed, right? THAT would have been boring.