PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell how much this is worth?

Ranis
2008-03-19, 08:06 AM
So to make a long story short, I (legally) acquired a limited edition canvas print of the Wizard of Turmish, 10/250, at GenCon last year. It has the limited edition seal on the back and everything, and hasn't been removed from the box I got it in in about 4-5 months now to keep me from touching it and moving it around walls.

And I want to sell this, probably on ebay. Does anyone have any idea how much a little gem like this is worth, or have a way of checking, etc etc? Anything would be helpful right now.

MattKatt
2008-03-19, 08:25 AM
Check how much other works by the artist have gone for in the past on ebay. If you can find another auction for this painting it would be even better.

You might want to wait a few more months before selling it though. Stuff like this doesn't usually go straight into the high-price range

Rare Pink Leech
2008-03-19, 08:34 AM
I agree that you should wait a few months. Things tend to go up in value as time passes, and you don't want to rush things anyway.

As to how you can find out how much it's worth, I have two answers:

1) the glib answer: just put it up on ebay and see how much people are willing to pay for it

2) the serious answer: search the Internet (including ebay) and see how much this painting or other works by this artist have gone for. It's pretty much the identical advice as the previous poster's, but I figured two voices is better than one if you're looking for advice.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-19, 08:41 AM
You should definitely wait at least a year before selling it.

Ranis
2008-03-19, 09:24 AM
Oh, I forgot a little tidbit about this painting: The Wizard of Turmish is the cover art for the D&D book Complete Arcane, and it's by Matt Cavotta.

EDIT: Ebay search turns up virtually nothing. Just a few original oil paintings from the D&D minis game that some fool is giving away at $900.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, so I found this link that will show you what this art exactly is if anyone wants to help me with their superior google-fu. The artwork is fourth from the left when the page loads.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=limitededition/main/welcome

Midnight Son
2008-03-19, 06:54 PM
Oh, I forgot a little tidbit about this painting: The Wizard of Turmish is the cover art for the D&D book Complete Arcane, and it's by Matt Cavotta.

EDIT: Ebay search turns up virtually nothing. Just a few original oil paintings from the D&D minis game that some fool is giving away at $900.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, so I found this link that will show you what this art exactly is if anyone wants to help me with their superior google-fu. The artwork is fourth from the left when the page loads.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=limitededition/main/welcome
I'll give ya $5. Now you have a starting point.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/chaching.gif

wadledo
2008-03-19, 07:43 PM
I'll give ya $5. Now you have a starting point.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/Dwarf71/Smileys/chaching.gif

$5.50, and that's my final offer!:smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2008-03-19, 07:54 PM
For anything you want to sell, it's all about how much someone else is willing to spend to get it. This is true of any collectible.

Is there a market for your item? How many people want to buy it? How much are they willing to spend on it? All of these questions take a bit of research. Do you have a local game store? Try asking them about it.

RTGoodman
2008-03-19, 08:50 PM
Well, according to your link you can buy one for $299 right from them. I'd say that'd be a place to start if you're going to sell it on eBay.

Ranis
2008-03-19, 10:19 PM
No, what I have isn't on ebay. It's very rare, a collectors' piece 10/250, and the closest thing that would be applicably comparable is that print of the Shivan Dragon artwork. they were sold at different art shows last June, and got gobbled up by people that want to shell out that kind of money for gaming artwork.

It's so darned rare that I can't find any information about it other than what has been made into a canvas print in the past. =/

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-03-20, 02:39 AM
You put that on ebay and maybe you could get as much as $50 for it, unless someone happens to come across it that wants it really bad. Your best bet it to just take it with you to gaming conventions/trade shows and see if some collector will buy it from you. Otherwise, you likely won't get that much for it.