PDA

View Full Version : DMing glove

mikeejimbo
2008-03-19, 07:39 PM
At the last gaming session in which I DMed, I arrived wearing a Billiard Glove. (It's a glove with the thumb, index and middle fingers covered, with the ring and pinky fingers freed.) When asked about it, I said that it was a DM glove. I rolled the dice with it, and when a battle came out, I pulled it off. (Ahaha). I did tell them that it was also a Billiard Glove, but the fact that I wore it, and put dice in it, caused my players to be a bit disconcerted.

So, if you had to design a DMing glove, what would it be like and why?

sonofzeal
2008-03-19, 07:50 PM
Well, know those Bracers of Wands, with spring-loaded compartments cued to strings on each finger? Like that, only with each player's charsheet rolled up really tightly instead of a wand. :smallcool:

mikeejimbo
2008-03-19, 08:05 PM
That's a good plan, I hadn't thought of that. I was trying to think of a way to have a hidden pocket with loaded dice, though.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-19, 08:18 PM
Dice would be a relatively large lump. Hard to conceal. How to hide it, though, depends on what you're hiding it from. Put the pocket on the palm to hide it from sight, and on the back to hide it from handshakes.

I'd vote to give it a hard backing, and a few 'wheel of fortune'-esque spinners to represent different die sizes. Much easier to engineer.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-19, 08:20 PM
Driving gloves. I like them anyways, and they let me turn pages just fine. Plus, when you're describing a kobold with sunglasses, they just let you feel the awesomeness.

sonofzeal
2008-03-19, 08:21 PM
The other idea I was thinking of was to have the first two fingers and thumb magnetized one way, and the last two fingers and heel of the hand magnetized the other way, then work with ferrous dice for some spiffy tricks. Problem is, magnetism doesn't really work that way to my knowledge.

On the other hand.... ferrous dice and an electromagnetic glove would allow you to merely pass your hand over the rolling surface to pick up everything, then turn it off so you can roll. Not too useful (except if your dice fall into a tight space and you can't quite reach), but pretty impressive anyway.

mikeejimbo
2008-03-19, 08:26 PM
Dice would be a relatively large lump. Hard to conceal. How to hide it, though, depends on what you're hiding it from. Put the pocket on the palm to hide it from sight, and on the back to hide it from handshakes.

Yeah, that's pretty much the problem. Maybe sleeves would be better, with a control to release the dice from the sleeves into the hand. I wish I were better at sleight of hand, myself.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-19, 09:00 PM
I still like my spinner idea. I though it was rather clever. Make them in a bunch of different styles/colors, and run with it. Oooh! Decals for the backing!

But for honest-to-goodness dice, the best solution would be to keep them on the thumb-side of a sleeve, with some sort of release attached to the thumb, but triggered by poking some sort of button with the other fingers. there, they don't interfere with movement, but they can still be rolled.

mikeejimbo
2008-03-19, 09:08 PM
I do like the spinner idea. It would be neat to see a glove like that. Especially since I really only DM in GURPS, I would just need three 6-sided spinners instead of a bunch of different ones. (I guess I'd only NEED one, but it'd be easier to have three.)

Ooh, maybe if I could spin them all with a rip-cord!

Rutee
2008-03-19, 09:14 PM
This is the Glove of choice. (http://blog.the-skylab.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/powerglove.jpg)

Nah, not really. It's just taht the gloves that match my aesthetics don't actually exist in real life. :P

Xefas
2008-03-19, 09:15 PM
My ideal DM glove would run up to the elbow, with a calculator on the wrist, an electronic dice-roller program on the upper side of the forearm (kind of like the one on the SRD), and several small screens on the inside of the forearm to punch in the current/max HP, AC, and saving throw modifier of 4-6 PCs. It'd have a rechargeable battery.

So, basically...everything I use a laptop for now, only without my thighs/lap getting really hot.

Ashes
2008-03-19, 09:30 PM
So, basically...everything I use a laptop for now, only without my thighs/lap getting really hot.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/73101_PE189508_S3.jpg

I use this. It's a great idea.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-19, 09:31 PM
My ideal DM glove would run up to the elbow, with a calculator on the wrist, an electronic dice-roller program on the upper side of the forearm (kind of like the one on the SRD), and several small screens on the inside of the forearm to punch in the current/max HP, AC, and saving throw modifier of 4-6 PCs. It'd have a rechargeable battery.

Combine the dice roller and the calculator on the back of the forearm, and give the back of the hand the mini-screen. The memory and battery pack would wrap around on the thumb side, and there would be a retractable USB port to download character sheets off the web.

Citizen Joe
2008-03-19, 09:36 PM
Actually, I think I saw a YouTube video where someone was using a Wii controller as an input device. I think for WoW. Anyway, use the same technology, plus a projector and a properly programmed computer and you could simply point at the battle mat with a little red dot moving around so you know where you were pointing, then a quick button press and it does a special effect real time on the projected battle mat, and then calculates the effects automatically (projecting stuff off to the side). If you want to be impressive, you can use computer generated and projected dice that 'roll' across the battle mat... and then you could hold a certain button on this glove so that the results are always exactly what you need.

EDIT: And it would need an Easy Button that automatically orders pizza.

Miles Invictus
2008-03-19, 09:41 PM
This is the Glove of choice. (http://blog.the-skylab.de/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/powerglove.jpg)

Nah, not really. It's just taht the gloves that match my aesthetics don't actually exist in real life. :P

The Power Glove was the first thing I thought of, too. With some modifications, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Cut out the fingers so you've still got tactile capability, replace the control unit with a programmable graphing calculator, include a small compartment for a pencil and notepad, and you've actually got something useful.

TempusCCK
2008-03-19, 10:57 PM
Interesting enough, in my computer science class last year we had $10,000+ robotic arm set up to be controlled with a Wii-mote. We actually got ridiculously good with it, we could open pop (soda, depending on your region) bottles and pick up pennies off of the table and the like almost as quickly as you could with your hand. I never thought to use it for rolling dice, but that'd be pretty damn cool.

By the way, my Dm glove is just a simple leather affair, used for lessening the sting when I slap my players across the place for being stupid, or for challenging them to duels for the Honor of Logic.

skywalker
2008-03-20, 02:43 AM
I immediately thought of Master Hand, the giant gloved hand that is the final boss in Super Smash Brothers, for those who don't know.

I would like a big white magician's glove for DM'ing, or just for moving minis around on the play surface.

Yes, one white glove, that's what I would use.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-20, 05:51 AM
I'd just like one that launches the dice with a nice horiztional spin. I'd use it for life and death player rolls, to build drama.

Spinning dice are so much more dramatic. Rolling can only last a couple seconds at best, unless it goes under a table. But a good spin can take all of 30 seconds, 30 seconds of hanging in the balance of life.. or death. I expect a robot could get it to spin longer and better too.

Brauron
2008-03-20, 08:25 AM
We actually got ridiculously good with it, we could open pop

Thank you for using the proper terminology:smallwink:

My ideal DMing glove would combine a fingerless leather glove with a bracer. On the back of the bracer would be seven small cups, each containing a magnet. And then a set of ferrous dice would be loaded into the bracer, using the magnets to keep them in place.

Person_Man
2008-03-20, 10:28 AM
My DMing glove:

http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/41000/40945/72783-infinity-gauntlet_400.jpg

A gold star to any other old timers like me (I'm 30) who recognize what that is.

AKA_Bait
2008-03-20, 10:35 AM
My DMing glove:

http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/41000/40945/72783-infinity-gauntlet_400.jpg

A gold star to any other old timers like me (I'm 30) who recognize what that is.

The Infinity Gauntlet! I so want to play in your game.

SoD
2008-03-20, 10:42 AM
I'd want several though...although I'd probably end up taking one of the fancy white suit gloves.

UglyPanda
2008-03-20, 10:45 AM
My DMing glove:
Big image goes here

The infinity gauntlet still makes appearances in the comics, it's just that Thanos no longer owns it. A replica of it for a Mutants and Masterminds game would be awesome. Maybe a see-through die in each knuckle, with a spring launcher for each die, so you can make punching motions to roll the dice. I don't know how it'd work, I'm not an engineer.

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-20, 06:40 PM

Now you're playing with power!