PDA

View Full Version : Rules on Paladin-hood?

SpeakerftDead
2008-03-19, 11:29 PM
Question about how Paladins, and other classes work in the OOTS world.

Basically, I want to know if it would be possible for a Goblin to assert that he is a paladin-of the Dark one. Believing in his or her actions to be righteous and upholding the laws prescribed to the Dark one, could said goblin reach, and keep his paladin-hood?

And yes, I know, this is probably reaching back into the whole, "Are the sapphire guard truly good because they murdered helpless goblins..." etc. debate, I'm just curious for the sake of a campaign I would like to DM.

Thank you for your time!

Theodoriph
2008-03-19, 11:33 PM
In terms of core 3.5 d&d, I don't think so. But I've heard of paladins of all sorts of alignments but I can't remember if that was the dms decision, from non-core books, or something upcoming in 4th ed. I can't remember where. Hopefully someone else can. Sorry...I can't be of more help. It does exist though.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-19, 11:38 PM
Variant Paladins (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny), from Unearthed Arcana.

And yes, Redcloak could qualify for one, though I've always viewed him as LN, not LE. (Evil means, good ends (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html))

SpeakerftDead
2008-03-19, 11:40 PM
As a follow-up, would a goblin retain his paladin-status if he realized the god he was serving was corrupt, and switched alliances to a "purer" god?

:smallwink: Thanks guys.

Theodoriph
2008-03-20, 12:05 AM
From the Variant guideline provided, no he wouldn't. If he stops being dedicated to that particular cause (re:commits acts contrary to his alignment), he loses his powers much the same as a LG paladin loses his if he commits evil acts.

I wouldn't be a nazi about it though :P Too many dms interpret that rule too harshly.

Edit: Having said that, if that's something you're interested in, you could always write a story about a Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter mending his/her ways as a result of some kind of nudging from a lawful good deity or a group representing said deity...and eventually have that deity grant said paladin his/her favor and bestow the comparable special abilities and powers upon him/her. It wouldn't be farfetched.

That kind of thing happens enough in real world politics, employment etc. :)

Bogardan_Mage
2008-03-20, 07:27 PM
And yes, Redcloak could qualify for one, though I've always viewed him as LN, not LE. (Evil means, good ends (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0490.html))
I think there's a difference between a character with a sympathetic backstory and a character with good ends. In real life there's very few (if any at all) who believe they are evil. Realistic characters, therefore, can't be "pure evil" without being mindless psychopaths (and it isn't especially realistic to have large numbers of mindless psychopaths giving your heroes a hard time). For the sake of the narrative, Redcloak has motives. For the sake of the campaign, he's still evil.