PDA

View Full Version : complete mage, err, complete warrior, err... (spell)

Stycotl
2008-03-20, 12:49 AM
Reach of the Wizened Viper
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Components: V,S,F
Casting Time: Standard Act
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon Touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell gives any melee weapon a flexible, extendable, snake-like quality, giving it a greater range of utility, and allowing it to affect multiple and farther targets. It was created by a martially inclined wizard after an encounter with a brutally punishing malebranche. After barely walking away from the battle, the wizard decided that he needed a manner with which to stay out of the reach of such immensely destructive foes.

As a swift action, the wielder of the affected melee weapon can cause his next attack to strike two targets, the first one as normal according to areas that are threatened by him, and the second target in either the same square, or a square adjacent to the target—without regard to the wielder’s reach.

A second use of this spell allows the wielder to increase the overall reach of the weapon by up to 10 feet with a swift act, though this attack (without other feats or abilities) can only affect one creature. This means that a medium creature wielding a longsword could potentially have 15 feet of reach for this next attack, or the same creature wielding a glaive could now have 20 feet of reach. This effect does not allow a reach weapon to strike adjacent targets unless the weapon already had the specific ability to do so.
This effect lasts until the beginning of the wielder's next turn, or until dismissed. It can be dismissed at any time, as a free action that returns the weapon back to its normal reach.

The third use of this spell allows the wielder to take a full-round action to execute one massive attack that affects everything in a line that is 5 feet wide, and up to 5 feet long per three caster levels, to a maximum of 30 feet long at caster level 18. The wielder must roll a successful attack versus every potential target within this strike.

This spell can affect one natural weapon or an unarmed strike.

Focus: Weapon to be affected.

Stycotl
2008-03-20, 12:53 AM
so. thoughts?

i was toying with the idea of making the two swift act variations work for the entire round. but in the end, i decided that it was better to leave it as a swift act to affect one attack only.

however, that got me thinking that maybe a swift act was too expensive a price to pay for something that affects only one attack. maybe i should make it a free act.

i tried to cover loopholes, such as hitting multiple foes with the swift act-reach maneuver, but i am sure i forgot some. so if anyone finds any, let me know please.

thanks. aaron out.

EDIT: oh, and the spell not affecting natural weapons or unarmed attacks was mostly just for flavor reasons. i am normally opposed to hating on unarmed attacks and natural weapons, but the image in my head just doesn't work. kinda like the indian guy from street fighter or something. if anyone can convince me that it should thematically work, i'll change it.

RTGoodman
2008-03-20, 01:03 AM
For the second use, I'd say it's okay for the reach to last for a whole round, but make sure they know they can't attack adjacent foes with a "reached" weapon.

For the third usage, I'd say limit the distance a little. I mean, 5 ft. per caster level? That's a 100 foot line at 20th level. And it's no lightning bolt - you're literally stretching a weapon 100 feet to hit everyone in a line. Maybe 5 ft. per 3 levels, to a maximum of 30 ft. at 18th level? Just a suggestion though.

Stycotl
2008-03-20, 01:43 AM
i'll consider that input about the second use ability, and compare it to what others say.

thank you for pointing out the problem with the line's length. hadn't caught that. 30' sounds good.

aaron out.

Stycotl
2008-03-24, 11:11 PM
ok, edited the second use of the spell. instead of a swift act to add reach to the next attack, it adds reach until the beginning of your next turn. it doesn't allow a reach-ified weapon to strike an adjacent target unless the wielder was already capable of doing so, but it does allow the wielder to dismiss the reach with a free action that returns it to normal.

so you use the swift act to reach out and touch someone with your newly reach-ified scimetar, deal some damage, and then when the foe moves in to an adjacent square, you dismiss the reach and attack normally.

comments?