PDA

View Full Version : Warforged juggernaut and regenerate

Cuddly
2008-03-20, 02:18 AM
Is there anyway to get a warforged with regenerate?
Warforged Juggernaut2 + Monstrous Regeneration (Cleric 5, MoF) = all damage (except fire and acid) is subdual, and you are immune to subdual.

However, I'm looking for a way to take all 5 levels of WfJ so I can be immune to all those pesky necromancer spells. Monstrous Regeneration won't work past level 3 of the PrC, due to immunity to Conjuration (healing) spells.

Any ideas?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-20, 03:32 AM
Warforged Wildshaping Ranger (UA variant) 5/Master of Many Forms 7/Warforged Juggernaut 5

Wild Shape into a war troll, somehow get immunity to acid- congratulations, you're immune to all damage (save disintegrate).

p.s. If you can somehow get Ironheart Surge (2 feats, a level dip in Warblade, 1 feat+item etc), not even Antimagic Field is going to stop you.

koldstare
2008-03-20, 05:44 AM
I would look at some version of Monster of Legend from MMII. One of the options is Regen 5

One of the abilities you can pick for them is chosen immunities from certain types of attacks/damage. MoL has a +8 LA though (MMII errata)

i.e. You can be a Troll MoL (chosen immunities fire and acid) so all damage is subdual although this character has a ECL of 19 it has a str of base + 22 and con is base + 22 and you have quite of few more powerful abilities from MoL along with bonus to saves and Nat Armor and all abilities you are difficult to kill.

Crowheart
2008-03-20, 09:09 AM
Though it might be somehow possible to build, I believe the original intent of the ability Regenerate was not to be applied to a creature that could not take nonlethal damage.

For example, you never see an undead or construct with regeneration. Instead, they give such creatures Fast Healing and Fast Repair.

If I were DM: In the spirit of what is logical, I wouldn't allow the regeneration ability to be applied to a creature or character that could not take nonlethal damage. Such seems to me to be a cheap and cheesy perversion of what regenerate was meant to be. Instead, I would rule that you perhaps could gain fast healing (or fast repair in the case of the warforged juggernaut).

Just my 2 coppers.

JBento
2008-03-20, 09:15 AM
It is, in fact, supposed to work just like Crowheart would do it. I remember reading it in an official source quite a long time ago - so long ago, in fact, that I can't, for the life of me, remember WHAT the source was...

Thinker
2008-03-20, 09:26 AM
Though it might be somehow possible to build, I believe the original intent of the ability Regenerate was not to be applied to a creature that could not take nonlethal damage.

For example, you never see an undead or construct with regeneration. Instead, they give such creatures Fast Healing and Fast Repair.

If I were DM: In the spirit of what is logical, I wouldn't allow the regeneration ability to be applied to a creature or character that could not take nonlethal damage. Such seems to me to be a cheap and cheesy perversion of what regenerate was meant to be. Instead, I would rule that you perhaps could gain fast healing (or fast repair in the case of the warforged juggernaut).

Just my 2 coppers.

I don't see how that has anything to do with what he's asking. He wasn't asking if DMs would allow this, only how to go about doing it. The reason you never see constructs or undead with this is because of this clause under the Regeneration description:

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

It is, in fact, supposed to work just like Crowheart would do it. I remember reading it in an official source quite a long time ago - so long ago, in fact, that I can't, for the life of me, remember WHAT the source was...

These sorts of things are generally thought experiments and not actually played out in an actual game. Even if it were, that is up to his DM to dictate and not us.

JBento
2008-03-20, 09:32 AM
Obviously, you don't have the sort of players I have. Thought exercises always find their way onto the gaming table somehow (the ones we make ourselves; whoever is DMing generally makes sure he's up to date with the latest "thought exercise" so he can just say "no" from the get-go).

And mind you, these aren't your regular thought exercises we're talking about here, but the sort that makes Cthulhu auto-fail his sanity check and become a mewling, quivering wreck in the corner...:smalleek:

Jayabalard
2008-03-20, 09:37 AM
I don't see how that has anything to do with what he's asking. He wasn't asking if DMs would allow this, only how to go about doing it. And his answer was that it can't be done by RAI (as could be identified by his first sentence.

For many people discussion of RAI is much more interesting than RAW, so you shouldn't be surprised when people make remarks regarding that.

These sorts of things are generally thought experiments and not actually played out in an actual game. Even if it were, that is up to his DM to dictate and not us.Noone is dictating anything to him, or condemning what he's doing... just offering friendly suggestions/opinions.

Thinker
2008-03-20, 01:11 PM
And his answer was that it can't be done by RAI (as could be identified by his first sentence.

For many people discussion of RAI is much more interesting than RAW, so you shouldn't be surprised when people make remarks regarding that.

Noone is dictating anything to him, or condemning what he's doing... just offering friendly suggestions/opinions.

The OP wasn't asking about what the rules intended. It also looks very much like it was being condemned. I acknowledge that Crowhart's advice was friendly and helpful, but JBento had a different tone altogether.

Darrin
2008-03-20, 02:28 PM
Is there anyway to get a warforged with regenerate?

If you can explain how a Warforged wound up with a regional Greyhawk feat, "Troll-Blooded" from Dragon #319 gives you Regeneration 1 at 1st level:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Troll_Blooded,Dragon

You need Toughness first, however, so he'd have to use flaws or be a Bear Totem Barbarian (UA p. 48), variant Fighter (Dragon #310), or a variant Monk fighting style (Undying Way, Dragon #310).

Cuddly
2008-03-20, 03:28 PM
If you can explain how a Warforged wound up with a regional Greyhawk feat, "Troll-Blooded" from Dragon #319 gives you Regeneration 1 at 1st level:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Troll_Blooded,Dragon

You need Toughness first, however, so he'd have to use flaws or be a Bear Totem Barbarian (UA p. 48), variant Fighter (Dragon #310), or a variant Monk fighting style (Undying Way, Dragon #310).

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/100276794_548c83c4eb.jpg